TPTW .....Jamie's Fowl Dinners

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jamie's Fowl Dinners

• Yes, I care about the welfare of the animal and will make a better choice in the future

Votes: 35 77.8%
  • No ..... it's all about price, I don't care where it comes from, or how it's treated

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe ..... I'd like to change, but the price prevents me

Votes: 6 13.3%
  • Who Cares ......... it's just a chicken

Votes: 4 8.9%

• Total voters
mmmm tasty.....reminds me of one of my ex husbands....I chewed him up and spat him out as I remember:lol: :lol:

lol, how many have there been?!?! :green:

Thats the first picture that appears if you search for the cochineal insect on Google images but thats not the insect. The pictures here are them, the red one is the female, the winged insect is the male.

Min, you know TOO much lol.

In my opinion... :lol::lol::lol:

In life, we make personal choices about what we spend our money on. So... I have a tatty house, a tatty car, a very mediocre telly, wear my clothes til they get holes in etc etc but I spend whatever I like on organic food. I am not holier than thou, I eat takeaways, occasionally even a McDonalds but all the meat that we eat at home is organic. I also have ex battery hens in the garden.

However, most pepole I know are constantly doing up their houses, changing their cars, spending a fortune on booze and fags, but open their kitchen cupboard and everything is freakin Smart Price. BUT - it's personal choice!

Horses for courses, different strokes for different folks :hug:

Min, you know TOO much lol.

:lol: I just think if your making a point then make it with the right information otherwise it can undermine everything else.

:lol: I just think if your making a point then make it with the right information otherwise it can undermine everything else.

Actually, it's the 13th picture in Google images if you search for Dactylopius Coccus, and the food colouring is only derived from the female which is why I didn't bother putting a picture of the male up. I just put it up as a bit of fun to let people know that they're not always as aware of what they are eating as they might like to think.

Here's another pic of them:

cochineal.jpg

There are quite a few different types of Cochineal, but whatever they look like, a bugs a bug, and if it's being hidden in people's food they should know about it.

But getting back to chickens.........

Onto battery eggs, you might think they are ok because the yolk is a nice golden yellow, but unless chickens have access to grass and 'greenstuff' (cabbage etc) then the yolk will naturally be very pale. Of course, being stuck in a cage for it's working life, the battery chicken doesn't have access to grass so to 'fix' this, chemicals are added to the chickens food to make the yolk yellow. So, next time you crack open your battery egg and wonder at it's beautiful colour, have a think how many chemicals have been fed to it to get it to that colour. Apart from the humane aspect, this alone would make me think twice about eating battery eggs or feeding them to my family.

I'm also concerned about the amount of anti-biotics fed to caged and barn chickens, 'just in case' they get something. Surely it's safer to only treat if there is a problem rather than helping us 'humans' to build up a resistance to anti-biotics? Again, another reason I buy the eggs/meat/poultry that I do.

People who don't really care about the welfare of the farm animals should perhaps give a thought to the people they are feeding with these foods, there's a reason why organic is more expensive, and not feeding ourselves hidden (and possibly harmful) chemicals is one of these - in my mind anyway.

Hi Jackie, fair enough. The Cochineal is a scaly type insect though and not a beetle. What they put all over the plants puts me off my food much more than the thought they are used themselves!

I think for me I'm starting to feel like I am being clubbed around the head with information. Everything you say has a very valid point but there are people who simply cannot afford to make the choices you or some of us do and they shouldn't feel bad for feeding themselves or their families the best way they can with what they can afford. I manage organic eggs and vegetables, I try and buy organic meat if I can but that is a heck of a price, chicken included. To buy enough organic chicken to feed my 5 boys, 3 of whom eat adult portions and Stuart and myself too costs an arm and a leg. When I can afford it I will do what I feel is right, when we are between contracts for Stuarts work I buy what I can afford and I cannot and will not feel badly about it. I'm not saying you are trying to make people feel bad, just that its hard not to.

:hug::hug:

Although i always buy free range and organic meat and eggs, and the thought of caged hens etc does pull at my heart strings, i mainly buy free range/organic products as it has been proven that they are better for you.

The non free range chickens have a LOT more fat in them compared to free range/organic chickens do, and it was also proven that they have a lot more fat in them than they did 30 years ago. I dont know the technical details as to why this is, but this is why i buy organic/free range products.

You will also find that a lot of eggs from farms are still from caged hens. These farms then supply to local companies - ie. cafes, hotels, restaurants.
I know this because of recently checking the eggs from a local farm - the code stamped on the eggs has a "3" at the beginning and this tells you they are from caged hens.
If anyone is interested, the codes are as follows:
0 = organic
1 = free range
2 = barn
3 = caged

Min, if I come across as trying to make people feel bad for not buying organic/free range then I don't mean to. I know some people really struggle to make ends meet on the money they get, we can't really afford it either, it's just we choose to do without certain things in order to buy the food we do, we don't drink or smoke anymore and we've had one holiday in 8 years (and that was 4 days in France!), we also eat less meat/poultry now than we used to, enjoying the good quality meat in smaller portions rather than buying cheap and throwing half of it away because it was tasteless, which is what we used to do.

I'm not trying to make anyone with money problems feel guilty, but a lot of people don't know the facts about the food they eat, and while some will never care, others will, and will make an effort to change once they find out the way their food is being reared/processed. But to do this they have to be made aware of what is happening.

Until the Hugh/Jamie programmes, I was unaware of the terrible conditions in which pigs are bred and reared in most standard pork farms, it's horrendous. I will never buy standard pork ever again in my life. But here in Dublin, I can only get organic pork, not free range (and M&S don't quite do it right with their 'outdoor bred' pigs - they only stay outdoors for a few weeks and then are brought into the barns to fatten up for slaughter), and it can be expensive, so I only buy it occasionally.

But I needed to be told about these practices in order to make up my own mind about how I bought my food.

As I mentioned, it's not just the humane aspect, it's the health aspect too, and plenty of people are unaware of what goes into their 'standard' food before it gets to their table. In an ideal world everyone would be made aware of what they are buying, but that will never happen, so it's down to others who have found out to share the information, and those who want to can use it if they wish. :)

Last edited:
From my point of view, I think the most important step is to care and make the right choice if you can, which most seem oen to doing on here, To me what I find saddest, is when people who have the choice, don't take it because they don't care, or they think it makes some kind of 'rebellious' statement

One interesting report I read a while back (darned if I can find it now:rolleyes:) stated that in non-organic, non-free frange meats of all kinds the water content (did you know some places actually inject the meat with water to make it heavier for the per kg price) is that siginificantly higher, so that were you to actually compare gram for gram of meat or chicken without the water content, the organic free range is usually lower!

So when you think you're getting more for your money....well i suppose in one way you are, you'e getting water priced at £6 odd per kilo or whatever the price of the chicken is!

I'd rather have less chicken, some nice veg picked from the back garden and a glass of fresh water!

theres nothing rebelious about it. people have different priorities and point of view. thats all.

I have been buying organic eggs and milk for years. I try to buy as much organic food as I can afford.

Yes, free range chicken IS expensive, but it's so much more worth it.

However, people lose sight of the fact that it's not just chickens that are treated badly. The same goes for cows, pigs, duck, turkey etc.

I try to buy as much of my meat organic as I possibly can.

Even though I am really anti animal cruelty (be it domestic animals or farm animals) I can appreciate that organic meat is expensive and not all people can afford it.

What would be really nice though is that we all try our best and try to do our bit where we can.

Perhaps for some families that might mean only being able to buy organic eggs and milk instead of meat or whatever combination they can.

Yes, in an ideal world it would be great if we could all afford to buy all organic, but that is never going to happen.

So, support organic products where you can, when you can and it will all make a difference.

M.

pot noodles look like dried up tapeworms:eek:

Last edited:
NO POINT, if you didn't bother to watch it, ignore it, hide behind the lounge or cover your eyes.
Here's a brief
Jamie's Fowl Dinners | 4Food | Channel4.comhttp://www.channel4.com/health/microsites/J/jamie_eat/

I remember watching the part when he gassed the male chicks, God that was awful, their little faces gasping for air just before they died. There were certainly some shocking scenes that day.

I seem to remember reading that the adult hens he used to demonstrate how caged birds were kept (although the didn't fill the cages to capacity on the show) he actually gave a 'free range' home to, nice that some of them get to live a proper life after giving us all those eggs.

I remember watching the part when he gassed the male chicks, God that was awful, their little faces gasping for air just before they died. There were certainly some shocking scenes that day.

I seem to remember reading that the adult hens he used to demonstrate how caged birds were kept (although the didn't fill the cages to capacity on the show) he actually gave a 'free range' home to, nice that some of them get to live a proper life after giving us all those eggs.

i watched it ...it really upset me i had to walk out the room as i was in tears.

pot noodles look like dried up tapeworms:eek:

Yummy....and supernoodles I love too.
And sandwiches and toast and crumpets.
And Heinz beans and sausages with cheese melted in...
Stop calling me you lot...... I eat a varied diet!!:lol:
I eat fruit and drink fruit juice.
And I make a roast dinner twice a week (only because my dad comes round though:))
Tbh we don't actually eat that much chicken come to think about it!

if budget is an issue then pick rspca freedom foods chickens, they are still barn reared but they have decent living conditions. as for free range eggs they're not that much dearer than battery.

Latest posts

Back