Two dappen dishes for monomer?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VHunter

Reaction score
Hi peeps..

Have a funny question.

I used coloured glitter acrylic the other day.
Then went to use clear later in the day BUT there was glitter in my dappen from the set in the morning.
So, I dumped it on a towel and put my towel outside to evaporate (that's what you do, right?).

I've had to do this twice, for 'contaminated' monomer.
It seems a sinful waste... and I'm NOT one for wasting...

Do any of you use two covered dappens, so that you don't have to toss any?
Or am I just not working 'efficiently' with my brush yet, and 'dirtying' it up more than most?

(rest assured, I clean it VERY well in monomer after each service and put it away with it's cap, all nice and tidy without a hair out of place).

Yes i do use two seperate dappen dishes and if i use a strong color even two different brushes. else the pink gets discolored or you can get unwanted glitter bits in there.

Hi, I only put enough liquid in my dappen dish for the set im going to do, and if there is a little bit left then i get rid of it. So i clean my dappen dish out after each use and use fresh liquid for each set. I wipe a lint free pad around the dappen dish too, and this gets rid of any bits of glitter I may have used as I find the glitter has a habit of sticking to the side! Not sure if its the right way to it, but thats what they taught us to do at college! :) x

Oh forgot to say, I use two different dappen dishes if im doing a colour or glitter, as it gets into the pink and discolours it a bit xx

I use 2 dappen dishes and 2 brushes :D

THANKS!! good to know!

Hi, I only put enough liquid in my dappen dish for the set im going to do, and if there is a little bit left then i get rid of it. So i clean my dappen dish out after each use and use fresh liquid for each set. I wipe a lint free pad around the dappen dish too, and this gets rid of any bits of glitter I may have used as I find the glitter has a habit of sticking to the side! Not sure if its the right way to it, but thats what they taught us to do at college! :) x

Sounds good to me. At NSI we recommend using fresh monomer for approximately every other client OR every client.

More often than not, I use fresh monomer for each appointment. I certainly don't keep monomer in the dappen dish for a couple of hours for a later appointment. Even if it is covered, I feel it would be 'off'.

For pink & whites or glitter french, I usually work with 2 dappen dishes and use one for the white/glitter and one for the pink/clear. When working with glitter, I use an old brush for the glitter application.

The dappen dishes I use are small (the wee silver dog bowl ones from CND). I only put enough monomer for the set I am working on into the dappen dishes).

Also after each service, I clean my brush with fresh monomer. It is tempting to skip this part or to make do with the used monomer but I find it best to err on the side of caution. You only need the tiniest amount of fresh monomer in any case.:)

Also after each service, I clean my brush with fresh monomer. It is tempting to skip this part or to make do with the used monomer but I find it best to err on the side of caution. You only need the tiniest amount of fresh monomer in any case.:)

Hadn't thought of the "fresh" part. It wasn't taught, and I never thought of it myself.
In future, will be sure to use 'fresh' monomer to clean my brush.

THANKS!

Hi,

I too use different dappen dishes for white, pink, glitter etc, as well as different brushes.

If I have monomer left over, out it goes. I try not to use too much, but I never will use the same for the next client. My brushes are cleaned after each client, as well as I have 3 sets of tools, so each is going through a cleaning / sanitization / autoclave while onto my next client.

I have hundreds of buffers/files/ bit overboard some say, but it covers me, and my clients.

I will never use the same file, buffer, tools on the next client.

I know you didn't ask that, but I thought I would pop that in.

Have a lovely Easter. Hope the bunny finds you....:):):)

More often than not, I use fresh monomer for each appointment. I certainly don't keep monomer in the dappen dish for a couple of hours for a later appointment. Even if it is covered, I feel it would be 'off'.

I do the exact same thing. I can't imagine using monomer from one client on the next one.

Hi, when doing glitter nails, I've taken to doing a reverse application, so pink or clear goes on first, then my glitter tips. I've found this stops me getting glitter in zone 2. Then I clean out my dish and brush which leaves everything clean for zone 1 and my thin layer of clear or pink over the glitter.
But I like the idea of 2 dishes instead. Not because I'm not going to clean the dish anyway, but because I can leave the clean up until after I've finished the client.
Why didn't I think of that:eek: thanks Victoria:hug:

Hi, when doing glitter nails, I've taken to doing a reverse application, so pink or clear goes on first, then my glitter tips. I've found this stops me getting glitter in zone 2. Then I clean out my dish and brush which leaves everything clean for zone 1 and my thin layer of clear or pink over the glitter.

Why didn't I think of the reverse application. I will try that for next glitter French xx:hug:

thanks everyone for your replies!

Ya know, she didn't teach us to empty the monomer to use fresh after each client.
If you're doing clear overlays, or something with no glitter.. do you still need to do this?
And if your monomer dappen has a cork to cover it..... how long does it last? Or must it be tossed right after too?
She never covered this in class:irked:

Sometimes, I'll have a client in the morning, then nothing all day (because I've booked around my kids schedules) then I'll have a double or quadruple in the evening while hubby watches kids.
So if monomer is left from the morning, it's no good anymore several hours later? In 'corked' dappen?

thanks again!

bump for my last question?

I would really suggest getting the small dappen dishes and only using a small bit for each client, then tossing. After awhile, you'll get the hang of how much you're going to need. It's so much easier and your monomer is always clean and perfect. I use a new dappen dish with new monomer for each color I do, so nothing is contaminated. There's nothing worse than cloudy pink and whites! Or cloudy anything, for that matter... Here's the ones I use: http://www.theindustrysource.com/images/ProductImages/250x250/102027.jpg Small, easy to clean, and at 37 cents a piece, cheap enough to have more than a few!

I have some actually. THANKS!!

thanks everyone for your replies!

Ya know, she didn't teach us to empty the monomer to use fresh after each client.
If you're doing clear overlays, or something with no glitter.. do you still need to do this?
And if your monomer dappen has a cork to cover it..... how long does it last? Or must it be tossed right after too?
She never covered this in class:irked:

Sometimes, I'll have a client in the morning, then nothing all day (because I've booked around my kids schedules) then I'll have a double or quadruple in the evening while hubby watches kids.
So if monomer is left from the morning, it's no good anymore several hours later? In 'corked' dappen?

thanks again!
What size of dappen dishes are you using?

You should only decant enough monomer for the client you are working on. If if finish a client and I have monomer left over which I think is still ok, I will use it on the next client if I have one immediately following.

I usually use fresh monomer for each client but don't have much wastage at all cause I only decant small amounts to use at each time. Incidentally, the dappen dishes I use are small (Creative glass ones or Creative dog bowl type - each type relatively small). I have seen large, well enourmous, dappen dishes and with this type I am sure there must be a lot of wastage or cloudy (questionable) monomer being used as well as more vapours in the air.

If my monomer is cloudy, I don't want to risk using it for fear of product breakdown and lots of maintenance in future, not to mention unhappy clients.

It's the EZ Flow Dappen with Cork that came with my deluxe kit

ezflow_dappen_dish.jpg

I'll just start using 'less'. If I had to add more later, so be it. But I hate tossing and wasting :cry:

I 'could' use the teeny little glass ones but won't.. ..I don't have steady hands and am a bit of a klutz... I spill those ones all the time when I have acetone in them (for when I clean french smiles) or water from when I'm painting... so I don't want to spill monomer too :lol:

THANKS!

Latest posts

Back