Ugly duck nails

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whats your opinion of Flared nails??

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw some press on nails awhile ago with this shape and they advertised them as "as seen on The OC" so maybe someone from the show was wearing them?

Would be interesting to see a copy of this in Nails mag. Can we view this mag on line?

Nails Magazine

Not sure if we can get the actual mag over her though. Shame really it looks quite good and i'm undecided right now as to whther to renew my Scratch subscription. I do enjoy it but I'm seeing a lot of 'same old...same old' especially with adverts....and £30 is a lot of money to me right now!

The Flare Nails Are A Big Thing In Puerto Rico
Every One There Wears There Nails That Way
Its Alot Harder Doing Flare Nails Than Doing Nails
With Tips
Some People Love Them And Some Hate Them
Just Like I Dont Like Stiletto Nails But They Are Very Pretty

just found some pics here is the link

BeautyTech.com :: View topic - Flare Nails. or Dips

im def not a fan of these nails but each to their own eh, i would not do these if someone asked for them, sorry.
Thanks for the link :hug:

I'm not a fan (pardon the pun) of these type of nails personally. However, I thought some of the comments on the thread were interesting - those that were positive anyway, saying how they would learn/do this shape as it could end up being something they were requested to do!

Anyway, just to digress a little, I have spent too much of my day looking at the galleries on Beauty tech and there are some fab ones of GMG and Doug Schoon :hug: I know I know - I've lost the plot :lol:

im going to start a new trend of stiletto toenails (unless someone beat me to it, of course)

i was looking at the beautytech link and had a flashback to a few years ago. i DO remember seeing these here in oklahoma --- they were very popular with the gangs in muskogee!!!! 0.0

For what?? To use as weapons?? :lol:

Thanks for the link :hug:

I'm not a fan (pardon the pun) of these type of nails personally. However, I thought some of the comments on the thread were interesting - those that were positive anyway, saying how they would learn/do this shape as it could end up being something they were requested to do!

Anyway, just to digress a little, I have spent too much of my day looking at the galleries on Beauty tech and there are some fab ones of GMG and Doug Schoon :hug: I know I know - I've lost the plot :lol:

THE SECOND ONES WITH THE HEARTS LOOK LIKE MINE BUT MINE R GREEN
AND THE SMILEY LINE IS NOT DOWN THAT FAR BUT I LOVE THEM
THE WHITE ONES I WOULD NEVER DO WITH NO ART THEY LOOK REALLY FUNNY DO LOKE

I really don't like this style of nail, but I agree they were nicely done on that thread.

My Nails Look Like That All The Time Thats The Only Way I Will Do Them
But I Love My Glitter And My Colors Not White Thats Not Me

Never heard of them and as far as I know they are not popular here in Michigan...Thank God!!

For what?? To use as weapons?? :lol:

lol its possible! id forgotten about it until i saw the really long ones. i remember seeing the female gang members with 3 and 4in flared nails and i always wondered how they functioned

just found some pics here is the link

BeautyTech.com :: View topic - Flare Nails. or Dips

im def not a fan of these nails but each to their own eh, i would not do these if someone asked for them, sorry.

Ohh guys, I am sorry, but I think these just look like the tech who did them, doesn't know what he/she is doing (whether that be the case or not). In fact, anyone who is artistically challanged at doing nails, could just call them flared to make them look better (but I don't think it does).

I really think these nails look dreadful! MHO of course but none the less... in the great words of Van Halen - Mine All Mine!!!! :idea:

Just to start, I'm not being offensive, this is just an example:

If I was to see and ugly person, it would be duly noted (it's just an observation), I would keep my opinion to myself and sympathise (not everyone can be beautiful).

Although if I were a beauty therapist I'm sure I would love to make their skin look better, the hairy, less hairy. If I was a hairdresser, I'd love to make the bad haircut better, so on and so forth. Merely to try and make the best of a situation or look, anything would be an improvement on nothing. In other words, "I'd like to HELP THEM", in a discreet, gentle fashion.

From here on in you can take what I say however you like:)

But as a Nail Technician, I am duty bound to try and do something about UGLY NAILS. There is nothing attractive about this flared look, nothing "enhancing", in fact it makes the nails looks quite amateur, they look like an "attempt" at nails, minus some much needed skills.

Maybe it does require some skill (I don't care), I'd never attempt this look, as I would be ashamed that people would associate that work with my salon. One set of those shovel nails on the street and it would drive 6 potential clients away.

Sure it's a look, but what kind of look?

Is this look some kind of test to see how gullible Nail Technicians are?

If some fashion magazine told you that warts in the middle of your forehead were fashionable, would you run out and rub a toad between your eyes?

Surely as professionals beautifying nails, we should put this trend on the backburner where it belongs, cause there ain't nuthin beautiful about this look, (perhaps Vicky Pollard may make it fashionable).

I may be in Australia, but I do know what "Chav" is. That disgusting look of nails in Footballers Wives was one thing, but these "flares" are quite a step backwards again and have the potential to set the industry credibility back many years.

Let the Americans walk around with this look, while the rest of the world giggles.

I'll stick with doing beautiful work and continue my quest to make the artificial look real.

I'll leave the "Ducks" up to the "Geese", or is that "Sheep"?

The title of this thread "UGLY DUCKS" is quite apt,
now give me a file and let me transform those ugly duck flares into beautiful swans, because that's what that look makes me wanna do.

Last edited:
If you had nails that naturally grew like this it would be seen as a deformity!:eek: In fact I have a friend whose nails tend to flare and she hates them.

The title of this thread "UGLY DUCKS" is quite apt,
now give me a file and let me transform those ugly duck flares into beautiful swans, because that's what that look makes me wanna do.

I hear you Nailzoo.......me too!

I have read all the posts here and checked out the link.

I just don't understand some of you saying that you don't like the shape but can admire the skill of the nails....am I the only one who noticed some of them aren't technicaly that great, but I don't want to be overcritical here as the tech's did not post them on here for us to critique.

That said the designs and colours used are pretty cool, so maybe that was what you meant ....but I just can't get my head around the shape....sorry!

Some extreme shapes...like the current extreme stiletto shape do catch on, and can be diluted for the Salon, but I just can't see this being the same. Stiletto does make a statement about the wearer IMHO as it is sleek, stylish and a little bit dangerous.

What image does a flared nail give?

Although I do wonder if we will look back on this thread in a few years time...wanting to bump it up....but unable to as we can't type with our big fat flared nails :eek: :lol:

Last edited:
jmho but i think this thread has taken a bit of a negative turn, its not to everyones taste sure but no need to fully slate it.
To add a different spin, aren't we all about to embark on a stiletto competition, the longer the pointier the better, i'm sure some people would feel the same way about those. I personally will try anything once, i'm not massively keen on the flares myself but have seen some pretty cool ones, there was a thread recently with some multicoloured lollipop swirls i like those....:)

Sorry That You All Hate The Way I Wear My Nails But Its
What I Like My Nails Are Flare But Not That Flare There Is A Limit
To How I Wear My Nails I Love Putting Nail Art On My Nails So A Little Flare And I Can Put A Little More Nail Art
My Nails Are Never P&w They Are Always Nail Arty Wild

Thank You All For Telling The Truth

I don't see the skill, personally. Just put a large blob of wet bead on the form and let it run too far! :smack:

I hear you Nailzoo.......me too!

I have read all the posts here and checked out the link.

I just don't understand some of you saying that you don't like the shape but can admire the skill of the nails....am I the only one who noticed some of them aren't technicaly that great, but I don't want to be overcritical here as the tech's did not post them on here for us to critique.

That said the designs and colours used are pretty cool, so maybe that was what you meant ....but I just can't get my head around the shape....sorry!

Some extreme shapes...like the current extreme stiletto shape do catch on, and can be diluted for the Salon, but I just can't see this being the same. Stiletto does make a statement about the wearer IMHO as it is sleek, stylish and a little bit dangerous.

What image does a flared nail give?

Although I do wonder if we will look back on this thread in a few years time...wanting to bump it up....but unable to as we can't type with our big fat flared nails :eek: :lol:

See this is why i wanted to try for myself.. cause i 100% agree with what you have said..
i look at these nails.. and not just the ones linked, but pretty much every flare i have seen and see absolutely no real beauty.. sure some of the colours are great and the art is cool.. but it just doesnt look like any real skill is involved.
of course im sure there is.. but its just the first impression i get.

I actually sat down.. form in hand and tried to talk myself into it.. but i just couldnt bring myself to wear one. so then i thought "nail trainer".. but i couldnt get my head around the shape.. and in the end figured i had better things to do with my time.. like practising my custom blending.

Wild.. not everyone hates the way you wear your nails.. some like it.. perhaps you could link some pics to your work? i for one would love to see some of your wild nail art.. xx

I've added a poll to get everyones input.
NO OFFENSE to anybody who likes or produces these nails.:hug:
It's a healthy debate and EVERYONE is entitled to their opinion.
So...... any scrapping in my thread and I'll be round.........:lol: all 5 foot 3 of me....:rolleyes: xx

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back