Unsafe and Unsound and Utter Rubbish

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with having a seperate page for the professional techs who has say practised for 10 years and know the industry well. they would only be able to write info on the page to help us new techs. hopefully this forum will select afew fab techs to keep us newbees on track.
The only problem with something like this I imagine would be controling who belongs and who doesnt,

people learn at different levels,
So there is nothing to say a tech who has been in the industry for 10 years is more professional, or knows more than someone who has only been in the industry for say 1 year,

Techniques and trends change constantly in this industry as I read the other day, a long time ago it was normal practise for a technician to etch the nail plate with a 100 grit file...whereas these days most of us are shocked to the bones to hear of such a thing being done lol,

So a tech who has been in the in industry since I was born and thinks she knows everything there is to know....could still have her eyes opened a heck of a lot,

Its all about learning the facts...keeping upto date with training and skills....keeping ontop of it all, all of the time,
Yes we may all vary in our techniques, and oppinions etc.... it makes the world go round and keeps these forums going,

I can see where your coming from, But can also see why it wouldnt work to have a seperation like that on the site xx

I agree with having a seperate page for the professional techs who has say practised for 10 years and know the industry well. they would only be able to write info on the page to help us new techs. I am new to nails and am always looking for new info and support, from you guys. this forum is great for us new ones but we do not always know if the info is correct as the tutor can not tell us everything when we do the courses, so we learn the basics as I call it then we are on our own. so hopefully this forum will select afew fab techs to keep us newbees on track.

The whole of the main page forum is the page to do just what you are talking about. This is what we devote ourselves to everyday .. you seldom see me on the chit chat forum do you. So your wish is granted.

By the way ... just because a technician has been doing nails for 10 years does not make them up to date with their information ... there are newer technicians who 'know their onions' far better than many who hve been a part of the industry for far longer.

I agree with having a seperate page for the professional techs who has say practised for 10 years and know the industry well. they would only be able to write info on the page to help us new techs. I am new to nails and am always looking for new info and support, from you guys. this forum is great for us new ones but we do not always know if the info is correct as the tutor can not tell us everything when we do the courses, so we learn the basics as I call it then we are on our own. so hopefully this forum will select afew fab techs to keep us newbees on track.

I have practised beauty therapy over 20 years but newer qualified therapists have certainly taught me a good few things.New techniques, new products ideas etc.
however many years you may have worked doesn't necessarily make anyone good at what they do.
No one is ever going to be that good if they think you know it all and can't be taught anything else.

Well I dont see myself as a professional (well not in the same league as the good ones on here) I hope to be in the future. I would never use any of these techniques on anyone those mentioned sound stupid to me tbh. I worked in a place that lacked hygiene in a few areas and I quit because I didnt want to get into their bad habits and get stuck when I move back to the UK.

I have learned a great deal from this site and I know from the REAL professionals whats right and wrong so a GREAT BIG THANKS to all who have posted educational and work ethics threads.

Thanks
Angela

I think the point of coming here is to learn.
We are all entitled to opinions on many subjects. I often give mine but it is based primarily on facts that have been supplied by many people, some are well known in the industry others, as Gigi says, just know there onions.
Usually if someone has an opinion that I disagree with I will say WHY I disagree and try to back it up with FACTS then hopefully others who read a thread will get a better understanding.
We are ALL here to learn from each other....no-one knows everything about every subject by backing up, for example, product chemistry, Doug Schoons advise is valuable.
And the threads get looked back on over time and people STILL learn from them by the links.
Great thread.

Geeg, Thanks for the info on the 100 grit etching. If it wasn't for you I may have never learned it. You are welcome for the compliments, I meant each and every one of them. Thanks again! :)

Susan, You are probably right about the U-turn thing with TT.

Alex, I think what I have found in life is to treat other people with respect and I never at any time want to offend anyone on this site. I think we can all learn to agree to disagree sometimes without firing each other down. Thanks for the compliment! :)

Thanks for all of you that are here to genuinely help and mentor. I'm so happy to have found this site. I do agree that it doesn't matter how long you have been doing nails, it is important to stick with the times and consistently learn more about your craft. If I hadn't wanted to learn more, I would have never found this site and would still be etching with 100 grit file. :)

Last edited:
I have been reading some unbelievable posts in the last few days advocating some very unsafe and unsound ideas!! Where is all this crappola coming from all of a sudden?

Using a 100 grit on the natural nail to prepare it!!!

Using acetone to 'remove a layer' when rebalancing!!!

Using neat monomer and a metal tool to make smile lines!!!

Using tips to lever/prise/pull off old product!!!

These are just a few :eek: :eek:

Are there any professionals out there who would do these things?

Or is our profession being invaded with a bunch of cowboys at the moment?

I'm worried at how these 'ideas' will influence the new ones here on the site.

So please keep your eyes open professional geeks and lets knock these ideas out of the way before some think they are serious options!

Any more 'wonderful' ideas to add to the above??

18months ago, I had a client come to me (she still does now), and her previous nail tech in Yorkshire was Creative trained to quite a high level apparently. My new client was very familiar with the products she saw me using.
When I came to rebalancing, she watched me filing away and said.....'my other tech used to soak my nails in acetone for 10 mins to get some of the old product off & the lifted stuff, then file over it and then put the new acrylic on. It never took her as long as you.':eek:

I found this quite astonishing, especially as she was CND trained, but my client was adamant that this was what she did.
I have never done or even thought about doing this to her or anyone else.

Whether she was a Master Tech or not, the Yorkshire tech's nails lifted after about 10 days & my new client had a new set about every 2 months!

She has had a number of sets with me, but now has been having a NNO for months & months. Her nails are in a much healthier condition as she does not pick at lifted material, as there's hardly any. She had admitted to picking previously causing lots of trauma to the nail plate.

This is exactly the sort of thing that this thread is trying to draw attention to.
Thank goodness I had learned better.

Don't you just hate hearsay??? I do. No proof at all to this story but in any case .................

this stupid practise is not anything the technician learned at her classes and although you can train someone to the highest level, you sadly can't retrain their mind or their nature if they want to do something so stupid and irresponsible in spite of what they have learned to be the facts. People will be people, and "there's nowt so queer as folk" as they say in Yorkshire.

Just to say, sometimes I think people need to write what they think then RE READ it before they post. Sometimes in the heat of the moment people write things and post, and they come across at best as short at worst rude.

Some geeks, including myself, have been on the end of a reply that has been less than nice and it puts you off posting, which completlely defeats the point of this fabulous site.

Just my opinon,

Becki xxx

Just to say, sometimes I think people need to write what they think then RE READ it before they post. Sometimes in the heat of the moment people write things and post, and they come across at best as short at worst rude.

Some geeks, including myself, have been on the end of a reply that has been less than nice and it puts you off posting, which completlely defeats the point of this fabulous site.

Just my opinon,

Becki xxx

I agree, I have put off posting some questions that I wanted to ask for fear of being shot down. But I think that if you treat people with respect, it will come back to you. And if it doesn't, at least you were the better person. Maybe we can all learn from each other on this point. Now, from a previous thread about someone etching with an 80 grit file and causing bloodshed and then filing over it, yes horrible practices like that need a good spoken to. :green:

Well this one has run and run hasn't it:green:
Lots of food for thought, many thanks:hug:

Well this one has run and run hasn't it:green:
Lots of food for thought, many thanks:hug:
Yes you are right Susie H.

It looks like it has now prompted a thread on the Skin Geek .

Just my opinon,

Becki xxx

Can I just take this opportunity to say that I know I am a prime example of "speak now, think after", and that if I have ever posted a thread or reply on this site which has caused offence I apologise wholeheartedly. I do have a bad habit of coming across as abrupt sometimes, even face to face, but thats just my way, I say what I think, but really mean no malice by it at all!

Anyway, good thread, I think this type of discussion has been long overdue.

I think sometimes when people are new to the Salon Geek, they get over excited and believe they know what is the correct way of doing things.

After reading posts and articles etc, the majority start to understand what is the correct way and if they have a different way or opinion will challenge in a healthy constructive manner. Unfortunately though there will always be people who will go against everything that has been proven fact and also be very personal to well respected geeks.

I for one will always try and give someone a chance, but if they decide to "rubbish" something I have posted and is a fact or are rude then I will leave it to the mods and geeks with a little more patience and time than I have to help.

Over the past few weeks I have been really busy (what's new there :lol:) and I am so pleased that we have our lovely Gigi (and other mods) to help with the technical questions :hug: as I believe those that do want to further and better their careers will learn from the site, the others well as has been said before, they will more than likely fail!

Perhaps in my old age, I have gotton grumpy as I used to have the patience of a saint but find it difficult now to respond to those that make ridiculous statements or try and belittle me or more importantly other knowledgeable geeks!

I wish all those well that are really focused and listen to what the experts have to say or who challenge in a constructive way - to the others, well I still wish you all the best, but just ask one thing - slow down and listen and learn, in the end you will get there far more quickly by taking in good quality information AND THAT IS FROM ANY COMPANY/BRAND!

Happy geeking folks :hug:

Being from America and having been in the cattle business, I'm not amused by the references of 'cowboy'. What in the world does a cowboy have to do with nails???? Granted, the techniques you describe are less than correct, but do you have to bash another totally unrelated group to get your point across? :irked:

Being from America and having been in the cattle business, I'm not amused by the references of 'cowboy'. What in the world does a cowboy have to do with nails???? Granted, the techniques you describe are less than correct, but do you have to bash another totally unrelated group to get your point across? :irked:

I'm sure no offense was meant to any cowboys as we all love the real one's :)

After reading the assinine description in Wikipedia, I have to say, it does the whole cowboy industry a HUGE disservice. How is using that word to describe quality of service any different than using derrogatory names to describe races of people? Think about it, if the work's shoddy then say it's shoddy, not professional, below average, what ever. Don't take a respected job and make fun of it.

And another thing, any cowboy who did shoddy work or was careless in what they did didn't remain on the job long, once the foreman found out about it. Suffice to say, if GWB Jr. was a true cowboy, he'd have been fired along time ago!

For example, TIME Magazine had a cover article referring to George W. Bush's foreign policy as "Cowboy Diplomacy," and Bush has been described in European newspapers as a "cowboy".

After reading the assinine description in Wikipedia, I have to say, it does the whole cowboy industry a HUGE disservice. How is using that word to describe quality of service any different than using derrogatory names to describe races of people? Think about it, if the work's shoddy then say it's shoddy, not professional, below average, what ever. Don't take a respected job and make fun of it.

And another thing, any cowboy who did shoddy work or was careless in what they did didn't remain on the job long, once the foreman found out about it. Suffice to say, if GWB Jr. was a true cowboy, he'd have been fired along time ago!

For example, TIME Magazine had a cover article referring to George W. Bush's foreign policy as "Cowboy Diplomacy," and Bush has been described in European newspapers as a "cowboy".

I think this is a whole new thread hun and no-one I'm sure would make fun of cowboys.
Or cowgirls for that matter.

I think sometimes when people are new to the Salon Geek, they get over excited and believe they know what is the correct way of doing things.

After reading posts and articles etc, the majority start to understand what is the correct way and if they have a different way or opinion will challenge in a healthy constructive manner. Unfortunately though there will always be people who will go against everything that has been proven fact and also be very personal to well respected geeks.

I for one will always try and give someone a chance, but if they decide to "rubbish" something I have posted and is a fact or are rude then I will leave it to the mods and geeks with a little more patience and time than I have to help.

Over the past few weeks I have been really busy (what's new there :lol:) and I am so pleased that we have our lovely Gigi (and other mods) to help with the technical questions :hug: as I believe those that do want to further and better their careers will learn from the site, the others well as has been said before, they will more than likely fail!

Perhaps in my old age, I have gotton grumpy as I used to have the patience of a saint but find it difficult now to respond to those that make ridiculous statements or try and belittle me or more importantly other knowledgeable geeks!

I wish all those well that are really focused and listen to what the experts have to say or who challenge in a constructive way - to the others, well I still wish you all the best, but just ask one thing - slow down and listen and learn, in the end you will get there far more quickly by taking in good quality information AND THAT IS FROM ANY COMPANY/BRAND!

Happy geeking folks :hug:

I think debs you have spoke for a majority of us....thank you as i did not know how to word it !!! xxxxxxxx:hug:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back