Urgent help! Is it the product or my technicians

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello all. I noted down the step in which all the technicians are taking and they are as follows:

all products used below are NSI also.

1) Spray sanitizer on
2) File the nails
3) Buff the nails
4) Cuticle remover on, push back cuticles. And use nippers to cut off any excess cuticle
5) Then wipe the nails with cleanse
6) Then wipe the nails with nail pure plus
7) Glue the tips on
8) Cut the tips
9) Blended tips
10) Primer on
11) Acrylic l+P applied. Two layers of acrylic
12) Buff the acrylic and file all the edges and stuff down.
13) Buff all the acrylic
14) Top coat/colour
Just read the whole thread and see you're now shutting shop.. one thing that stood out for me on here is that they're buffing THEN removing cuticle - I was taught NSI at college and although the course wasn't brilliant, we were taught to remove cuticle using Removing Cuticle....the real cuticle - YouTube this method (I have learnt this SINCE college and it helped my nails to stop lifting 100%), wash the hands and then buff...

These girls seriously need some kind of extra training and also, for you to open a nail shop again, I think you need some idea of what's going on. :)

Victoriabar, I too think you're right about this possibly being a tech herself who's either not had training or has and isn't doing very well simply wanting step by steps of products to buy!

Yes the products seem to be right. As nsi is a reputable brand I think it must definitely be the way they are applying it. With the overlay twice as apposed to the three zones. Gemma lambert at the end uses a uv top coat gel and then cures ? Is it worth me adding this into the routine with the 3 zones and triallibg the durability of if nails are coming off by implementing that?....

And yes everyone. I'm aware of my errors and a lot of it is down to me. And this is a big learning curve

Yes the products seem to be right. As nsi is a reputable brand I think it must definitely be the way they are applying it. With the overlay twice as apposed to the three zones. Gemma lambert at the end uses a uv top coat gel and then cures ? Is it worth me adding this into the routine with the 3 zones and triallibg the durability of if nails are coming off by implementing that?....

And yes everyone. I'm aware of my errors and a lot of it is down to me. And this is a big learning curve

Having read this particular post from you -

Are some of our geeks correct when they suggest that you are actually talking about yourself??

No isn't correct. I have a salon and am trying to correct the issues my staff are having surely by my responses you can tell I'm fully unaware of the whole nail process but this is not because I'm a rubbish nail tech trying to get help for myself. It's for my staff.

Hi hun, I had a quick look on the NSI site and I think maybe your closest educator is Lally Quayle. I can assure you she is excellent as I did my conversion / 1-2-1 with her.

I think u really need to focus all your time on your business instead of wasting valuable time and energy complaining to the college. What do u hope to achieve? They pull the course?

I know u feel the girls should be of a higher standard but nails is a highly skilled job. When u leave college they teach u enough to get a junior role. You are expecting too much from college leavers. Even if u got them training today, it will be a while before they will be doing nails to a good standard that retains business. Nails is highly competitive, u need to b good to survive.

If u can't find a highly skilled nail tech, it will be a while before u can offer extensions. So u should really think about what else ur shop can do for now. Rent some chairs out for threading? Have a beauty area and rent that out or hire someone?

Not paying staff. Have u checked what ur doin is legal? Or have u made them all redundant.

Harsh learning curve, but wiv ur business experience I'm sure u will b fine. Chin up.

This site is great for ideas so it might be worth looking through.

I noticed that after the acrylics done she applies uv gel top coat then cures it. I guess this would add to durability and how long it would last - providing the right prep and product application.

The UV top coat (glaze 'n' go) makes the nails super shiny and the shine lasts for a full 3 weeks, it's a great product but it won't add any strength.

Kirsty x

Hope it all works out for you but it all sounds wishy washy to me :-/

So I have a small update

I have spoken to some of my technicians clients she does at home and they have also said none of her nails have come off?

The staff can't understand why happening in the salon and doesn't on their own clients. As same products used at home as of in salon

So today I got the techs to do one hand with the nsi acrylic and one with this other brand "the edge".

Again the nsi so watery consistency ( would explain why customers are saying nails are coming off and it peeling away and when it does it so thin?

The hand done with the edge the acrylic was coming out much thicker I noticed? And in comparison to nsi hand looks v diff?

Nsi is a very reputable brand but it may be possible we have a dodgy pot of it?

As strange how my techs home customers are not having these issues and there using nsi?

The thickness is definitely noticeable between the two hands and no where near as runny as nsi hand?

I'm hoping to get a trainer in this week to look at everything and see what and where's going wrong

I hope to get this sorted asap so I can save my business

With absolutely no disrespect intended, you don't know anything about nails, so stop trying to work out what the problem is yourself. You say NSI is runny, but it can be runny, thick etc depending on the mix ratio. I am not a nail tech, I just know that from picking things up on here.

Please, please. Stop trying to guess what might be wrong, again with no disrespect intended, if two trained technicians cannot work it out, then you will not be able to either.

Get training in ASAP. In the mean time, DO NOT shut your shop. Yes so 80% of your clients are enhancements. Only take appointments for the other services you provide. You will really serioulsy damage your business if you shut the shop completely. And....you still need to pay rent and wages if you shut shop!! So you lose nothing by opening.

PLEASE take my advice.

Just a thought now but have you ever thoght about stopping doing acyrlics until your nail techs have had enough practice and are confident in providing the treatment and maybe just offering basic manicures, you could also offer Minx, and maybe even Shellac?

I'm not saying that shellac is easy to master but I think its much more easier than acrylic application!

Just a thought anyway!! xxx

So I have a small update

Again the nsi so watery consistency ( would explain why customers are saying nails are coming off and it peeling away and when it does it so thin?
it would only be watery if there is too much liquid on the brush when dipping it in the powder, making the ratio wrong.
i think the others are right you need to stop looking for reasons why and just all get proper training,i was at college for a year doing this and i know i'm still no where near ready to work in a salon,i'm still only charging training prices. the art of acrylics takes a long time and a lot of practice. i know you say your beginning training but maybe use the week your shop is closed to all go on 1 2 1 courses, i think if i was running a shop in something i would want to as much as i could on the subject.
maybe the girls could do gels instead,as they r much easier to do and i've not had much problems with these even when i was training, and like some one else above has just said maybe offer shelliac, it's really in at the mo, and it's just painted on the natural nail and cured but again you will need training for it,but from what i can gather only a 3 hour one,if you are already qualified in nails.
really hope you get it sorted soon,i'm sure the girls are trying there best so i hope you all get there in the end. xx

How are they going to get that 12 months experience in a busy salon if no-one will give them a chance??

As for 'you don't learn to drive until you pass your test' How the heck did you learn to control a vehicle in the first place? Someone put you in charge of a big hunk of metal, trusted you and gave you a chance!

Well u just answered ur own comment, when learning to drive you have an instructor sat with u until you are ready to go out there on your own, most college leavers don't go in to a salon where there the only ones doing the nails, its a bit like the blind leading the blind, and it obviously isn't working.

Sent from my Desire HD using SalonGeek

Well u just answered ur own comment, when learning to drive you have an instructor sat with u until you are ready to go out there on your own

I don't think I answered my own comment at all. Don't you think that being in college is the equivalent of having driving lessons? And once you pass your test, your let loose on your own. That's the same as college leavers taking a job in a salon, Is it not? Please feel free to correct me if I've got this all wrong.

Kirsty x

I have read this thread with much interest

I don't mean this in a disrespectful way but I do think that there are too many people opening a business within the beauty industry who don't know enough about the industry to be able to run the business as well as possible, if at all well.

HOWEVER, what has happened has happened and you sound like you really care about what you're doing OP. The best advice I can give you is don't blame the product, your employees or the college they went to...I believe that it is largely the responsibility of an employer to know enough about the industry that they are able to deal with problems in the most knowledgable way possible and from what you say here I think there are a few too many gaps in your knowledge (which is understandable because you have yet to train in nails and I strongly recommend that you do)

If I were in your shoes I would get myself on a part time acrylic nail extension course (many colleges do these over a few months in the evenings) and in the mean time, as others have said, look at what you can offer to keep the salon successful.

I too am very impressed you have opened shop at 19, well done!

I do have to agree though, and I know you are going to do it, that you do need to be qualified/experienced in services the shop offer, as you know the buck stops with you.

My five year plan is to own a salon too, offering both hairdressing and beauty treatments. I am a qualified nail tech (but still feel I need a 100 years more practice with l & p) and beauty therapist but have just started ITEC 2 for hairdressing with the intention of completing 3 too, as I feel although I will probably end up doing one or the other as the owner I should have knowledge of both.

With regards NSI I use their products too and they are great, my educator is also the sales representative here and offers 1-2-1 training free when products are bought, i.e. when I spend 200 euros she gives me two hours which is always handy as no matter that I am qualified on paper it is great to be able to go over any problems I have with any of the products. As I said I still feel I need practice with l & p even though I can do full sets without problems, I think this is a confidence issue as I do not do them very often.

Anyway sorry about the essay good luck with the future!

I too am very impressed you have opened shop at 19, well done!

I do have to agree though, and I know you are going to do it, that you do need to be qualified/experienced in services the shop offer, as you know the buck stops with you.

My five year plan is to own a salon too, offering both hairdressing and beauty treatments. I am a qualified nail tech (but still feel I need a 100 years more practice with l & p) and beauty therapist but have just started ITEC 2 for hairdressing with the intention of completing 3 too, as I feel although I will probably end up doing one or the other as the owner I should have knowledge of both.

With regards NSI I use their products too and they are great, my educator is also the sales representative here and offers 1-2-1 training free when products are bought, i.e. when I spend 200 euros she gives me two hours which is always handy as no matter that I am qualified on paper it is great to be able to go over any problems I have with any of the products. As I said I still feel I need practice with l & p even though I can do full sets without problems, I think this is a confidence issue as I do not do them very often.

Anyway sorry about the essay good luck with the future!

Wow what a fantastic idea:

"1-2-1 training free when products are bought, i.e. when I spend 200 euros she gives me two hours which is always handy as no matter that I am qualified "

Good news all round for the tech & the company, knowing it is being used correctly.

I havn't read all the replies, but honestly, how can you take professional advice from inexperienced, just out of college, nail techs? It just doesn't make sense!

Good on you for having the drive to set your nail bar up, thats really admirable, but without sounding harsh (famous last words lol), you don't sound like you've reeeally thought about it all hard enough and gone in a bit blind. It's a common occurance in this industry, people think its all glamourous and easy, but you can have so many problems with staff, products, technical aspects of the services you're offering.

You really need someone on board with good experience, a good track record, and a good client base. If I were you I'd look at commission basis, or rent a chair. People always work harder when it's for themselves.

Good luck with it, I hope that after the early hurdles you make it a sucess. :green:

I don't think I answered my own comment at all. Don't you think that being in college is the equivalent of having driving lessons? And once you pass your test, your let loose on your own. That's the same as college leavers taking a job in a salon, Is it not? Please feel free to correct me if I've got this all wrong.

Kirsty x

Of course they should go into a salon to gain experience. From other technicians who can help build on there skill. Not go into a salon and basically run the show. Don't actually see your point as the owner of this salon obviously realises this to and should either get them more training or keep searching for a more experienced tech to work with them

So I have a small update

I have spoken to some of my technicians clients she does at home and they have also said none of her nails have come off?

The staff can't understand why happening in the salon and doesn't on their own clients. As same products used at home as of in salon

So today I got the techs to do one hand with the nsi acrylic and one with this other brand "the edge".

The hand done with the edge the acrylic was coming out much thicker I noticed? And in comparison to nsi hand looks v diff?

Nsi is a very reputable brand but it may be possible we have a dodgy pot of it?

As strange how my techs home customers are not having these issues and there using nsi?

The thickness is definitely noticeable between the two hands and no where near as runny as nsi hand?

I'm hoping to get a trainer in this week to look at everything and see what and where's going wrong

I hope to get this sorted asap so I can save my business

Can i just ask who's buying the products for the nail bar and where from?

Latest posts

Back