Using oil prior to application of wax??

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BodyAngels

Reaction score
Hi,
I keep reading here about putting oil onto the skin prior to the wax but have never heard of this before.
Why is this done and what are the benefits? God it sounds like an exam question!!
Ta,
Claire x

It is done to create a barrier between the wax and the skin, so the overall treatment is gentler and less traumatic for the skin. Some people use it for all waxing, it's a matter of personal preference I suppose.. I tend not to bother for legs unless they are very dry, but I always use it for bikini and facial waxing.

It is imperative to use the oil sparingly! If you feel you may have used too much... BLOT!

can i just ask would grapeseed oil that i use for massage be ok to use b4 waxing and also would baby oil be suitable.? thanks x

Vicky, I think pretty much any oil would be suitable but the more lightweight the better in my opinion :)

I am only down the road from you (Earley) if you would like to come and have look at my Perron Rigot products x

ohhhhhhhhhh i would love to zozo at some point!!!!! great! ive been thinking about investing in them when i qualify soon! ive done a waxing diploma course but wanted the nvq ! thanks for the info on the oil hun! there are not many geeks on here from berkshire . my mum lives in wokingham which is closer to u!

So you massage the oil in then apply the wax and the oil won't stop the wax from sticking to the hairs?
Claire x

So you massage the oil in then apply the wax and the oil won't stop the wax from sticking to the hairs?
Claire x

dont massage LOADS IN!

Just a tiny drop or you'll create TOO MUCH of a barrier and the wax will SLIP off !

AMb x

Put the tiniest drop in your hand and then sweep it across the area to be waxed. If you see it shining, just dab with a tissue or your wax will not stick. Try it on your arm/leg to get a feel for the amount you need. xxx

I've had a couple of goes myself using oil (instead of powder). Once on my own eyebrows, which went redder than normal and once on my mums bikini line, which again was redder than normal. I know that lots of people on here swear by using the oil, so I don't quite know where I'm going wrong? The only thing I wondered if its something to do with the PhD wax which I use. Any idea's?

I wax a friends legs and she has a small area where a layer of the skin comes away whole. It is a problem that she's being treated for by the doctor, but I'll try the oil here and see if it helps.
Thanks for that,
Claire x

i have always used a little bit of talc think i'll try the oil next time !!

I've used talc all these years too ~ Im going to try the oil on myself and see how I get on xx

I used to use talc, but have switched to using oil, and I find it so much better, both on myself and on my clients. I have quite sensitive skin when it comes to waxing, and I have much less of a reaction when I use the oil, not to mention finding it a lot less painful!

I'm a total oil convert, after speaking to kim at excel got some p.r jasmine oil, it smells lovely and is so much less messy, does that sentence make sense, sorry making inroads on a bottle of wine:lol:

Every day's a school day!!
I was always taught at college to keep the oil as far away from the wax as possible!!! But I will definitely give it a go on myself, as i'm very sensitive.

Thanks for the tip ladies!

Latest posts

Back