Waxing - products to make it easier?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fozzyo

Reaction score
I'm currently researching products that can be used to help reduce the pain / discomfort from waxing for my guys. Several guys frequently ask for something to take / apply to make the waxing a little more bearable. Pubic hair and chest are the two biggies that cause screams or flinches.

I've looked at No Scream Cream, works well but its expensive - retail of £15 for a small tube. Not really going to go too far when used on larger body areas.

Emla (similar to No Scream) is Prescription Only now.

So what do you recommend or retail? I'm ideally looking at building a retail product range. I've found some good products, ones that I will have to retail as I can't really ask clients to pop into Ann Summers beforehand! "No really its for my chest wax!"

Mat xxx

Have you looked into the numbing products used by tattooists and piercers hth :hug:

I'm currently researching products that can be used to help reduce the pain / discomfort from waxing for my guys. Several guys frequently ask for something to take / apply to make the waxing a little more bearable. Pubic hair and chest are the two biggies that cause screams or flinches.

I've looked at No Scream Cream, works well but its expensive - retail of £15 for a small tube. Not really going to go too far when used on larger body areas.

Emla (similar to No Scream) is Prescription Only now.

So what do you recommend or retail? I'm ideally looking at building a retail product range. I've found some good products, ones that I will have to retail as I can't really ask clients to pop into Ann Summers beforehand! "No really its for my chest wax!"

Mat xxx

Hi Mat...hows things going?

dependant on the brand you use it could well be worthwhile speaking to them as most ,like us, provide such lotions and potions to assist theropists in inflicting as little pain as is possible to their customers :eek:

Mat.....believe me, there isn't anything that will numb the pain. Your technique will help reduce the pain.

If you want to retail, go for something to stop them breaking out afterwards. xxx

Last edited:
I agree with Kim. I don't retail any products for reducing pain.... I say, "suck it up buttercup"

I am not entirely convinced that pain needs to be so generally associated with these treatments...it is this very perception that probably keeps some good potential customers away from knocking on your door for said treatment.

Yes there are those that certainly are more sensitive than others and nothing on this earth will assist them however for the vast majority there is absolutely no reason why anyone should endure unnecessary discomfort from waxing .

Provided the correct techniques are adopted together with good pre wax preparation to the skin thus enabling wax removal without "tugging" on the skin,that a good quality product is used and that good quality post wax treatment ointment is applied immediately after treatment...there really is no reason why this experience should be nothing other than "reasonably uncomfortable" at worst :eek:

Good pre wax skin treatment,technique,good quality product together with good after care product treatment application will indubitably go a long way in making your customer feel less pain :hug:

there really is no reason why this experience should be nothing other than "reasonably uncomfortable" at worst :eek:

Have to disagree here Collin. Any experienced waxer who regularly waxes men will tell you that although technique and good product are important in making the treatment less painful, chest waxing is THE most painful part of the body to be waxed, even more so that intimate waxing. This has been said to me on countless occasions.

Try telling a male client who has boots for roots that it's not painful.

Going back to your question Mat, something that really does help is to immediately apply an ice pack to the the area you've just waxed. You know......those little ones that they use at the docs. The only trouble is that you need to have a freezer nearby.

You can also place the hand immediately on the area post wax removal...this tends to calm the skin down quiet nicely ,especially if jasmine oil has been applied to your hands previously....works a treat in calming things down :hug:

Hello Mat

My honest opinion is that topical creams won't make a lot of difference unless it's down to the placebo effect - the client thinks it will help, so it does.

If I client asks me if it's going to hurt, I say, 'OF COURSE IT'S GOING TO HURT! I'M GOING TO BE PULLING YOUR HAIRS OUT AT THE ROOT! WHAT DO YOU EXPECT!' Laughing of course. Then I say, 'Seriously, it's not going to hurt anywhere near as much as you think it's going to.'

Some clients are good with pain, some are not. The ones who find it painful still come back. Because pain is very quickly forgotten. Often, if a client finds their waxing overly painful, there is a reason for it... maybe they haven't been waxed for a long time so the roots are very strong. Maybe they are rundown. Clients who get waxed regularly will barely even notice pain.. the treatment becomes routine.

It's waxing newbies that struggle, but just keep reassuring them that if they have their waxing done regularly, there is a very good chance the hair will become weaker and therefore less painful. I don't pander to 'em!

I am fairly sure I have never lost a waxing client due to pain. I sacked one once but that's another story :lol:

How about if you tell them to take it like a woman?

All the numbing products out there work very differently on different peeps. Some love it and some say it doesn't do much. Technique and monthly waxing is always the best key to diminish the discomfort.

Just keeping them talking throughout the treatment - works well for me!!!

I have a client who comes every 4 weeks for a Leg, Bikini, Underarm and Eyebrow wax she swears by taking 2 aspirin an hour before the treatment.
I also put a little pressure on the waxed area with my hand.
Her bikini area is very sensitive more than any of my other clients so I also have a cool compress which I lay on for a minute or so this seems to help alot.
:hug:

Latest posts

Back