Waxing waxing waxing!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can i just say that if you play your fingers over the waxed area it takes away any pain for the client (play your fingers as if playing the piano), or tapping.

Thanks for the tutorial, I am fairly new to waxing, so it is useful. Just a couple of questions if you don't mind! When would you use scissors to trim the hair? And if so how short would you need to trim it to?
There has been occasions at college when clients have come in with a proper bush and the strip has got stuck!
Also I am worried that if I use too much force I will remove the top layer of skin!!
Thanks

Thanks for the tutorial, I am fairly new to waxing, so it is useful. Just a couple of questions if you don't mind! When would you use scissors to trim the hair? And if so how short would you need to trim it to?
There has been occasions at college when clients have come in with a proper bush and the strip has got stuck!
Also I am worried that if I use too much force I will remove the top layer of skin!!
Thanks

There is no reason to trim unless the hair is really out of control. If you must trim, then no shorter than 1/4".

If you and your client are pulling the skin as tight as possible, you really shouldn't have problems with the wax sticking, and applying oil to the area before wax will ensure that you do not remove any skin.

There is no reason to trim unless the hair is really out of control. If you must trim, then no shorter than 1/4".

If you and your client are pulling the skin as tight as possible, you really shouldn't have problems with the wax sticking, and applying oil to the area before wax will ensure that you do not remove any skin.

Yeah, The hair at the sides shouldnt be too much problem a bit longer.

one place that may need a little trim is at the bottom of the landing strip at the front, you know the bit where the hair from both sides kinda forms a curl?? this will just make things a little easier to access and you can see what your doing better! oh its so annoying! lol.

Oh, and also you may also struggle if the hairs underneath (nearer to the bum cheeks) are too long, as when you are pulling the strip downwards (towards the bed) you kind of run out of room to pull properly, and if the hairs longer it may cause you a problem. To combat this without trimming you can ask the client to raise their bum off the bed a bit, to give you more room. but the might not have the strength (i know its not really hard but some people just arent as agile as others!!) in which case you may fine it easier to get them to raise their leg in the aiir and pull their knee to their chest, this kind of lifts their bum without them struggling too much!

im sure everyone will find their own ways of positioning clients so they can do the best job!!

Hi

I just found this site..awesome and very educational. I just graduated and will start working in a few weeks. I found this great educational dvd "The Whole Ball of Wax" by Lori Nestore .... it is great...great tips on waxing from brows to toes and everything in between....check her website out at Eva's Esthetics .. I purchased it and just love it!!

Hi! I am thinking of doing a waxing course and you sound such an expert, could your advise where you would recommend going for a reputable course.

What a lovely tut, i've been out of the beauty trade for like 10 years and heading back into it early next year (startig on my own) well after my nail course. I used to do loads of waxing, but not alot of bikini. Although i do my own legs.

When i trained all those years ago we were never told to put oil on the area before hand, does that depends on what type of wax you are using i.e hot wax, (which i dont like as i was burnt with it at college) just prep with surgical spirit to cleanse and if they have greasy skin a light layer of talc !! (which i never used anyway), I use a cream wax on my own legs with paper strips and find this so easy and gentle, than my old wax pot and spatula.

Sara
IHBC Beauty Therapist

Hi Katelisa!

Thank you for your very detailed description of how to wax ~ it's very interesting! I like to know how other people do it cos other than at college or having it done yourself (in which case I can't really see!), you don't really know what everyone else does!

Do you use the normal warm wax for the hollywood/brazillian or hot wax? I get really stuck when I go further in on the labia (!?!) because the area is so wobbly. I'll def. give the disposable thongs a go tho and get the client to pull up, what a good idea! Where did you go to learn how to do them? How long have you been a therapist for and where abouts do you live/work? xx

Hi Katelisa!

Thank you for your very detailed description of how to wax ~ it's very interesting! I like to know how other people do it cos other than at college or having it done yourself (in which case I can't really see!), you don't really know what everyone else does!

Do you use the normal warm wax for the hollywood/brazillian or hot wax? I get really stuck when I go further in on the labia (!?!) because the area is so wobbly. I'll def. give the disposable thongs a go tho and get the client to pull up, what a good idea! Where did you go to learn how to do them? How long have you been a therapist for and where abouts do you live/work? xx

another way to do it is to cover one side of the labia with the thong, rathe rthen having it straight up the middle. that way it keeps those hairs out of the way.

I'm in birmingham. Ive been doing it almost 5 years now i think, i lose track!! lol.

i learnt in my first salon. I was taught by the manager and just practiced on models till i felt confident. at forst the hardest thing for me was knowing i was hurting them, but u really have to just get stuck in or it will hurt threm more!

x

Thanks for the response KateLisa! I've also been a therapist for 5 years but have never ventured to doing the hollywoods and brazillians. I went to capital today to try to find some disposable thongs for me to start practising (my Mum, bless her, would let me do anything to her!!) but they didn't have any ~ I expect its because of the VAT free weekend so will try again in a few days time. I'm thinking of sending myself on a course about how to do it because I would just be fascinated to actually see how it's done! How the hell do you get every single hair from the labia ~ especially those much further in!?!

I don't use oil before waxing either ~ does the wax stick to the hair ok when you use oil I wonder?? I always imagined it would create too much of a barrier for the wax to stick to the hair enough to pull it off without too much stress on the skin. Which oil do you use please, those that do use oil? Might give it a go and see how I get on! I just use talc at the mo xx

Hi there kate thankyou very much for your post it has been very helpful just one more question i wanted to ask with regard to Brazilian and Hollywood waxing i heard that after the treatment no after-wax lotion is to be applied to the area as it will be highly sensitized is this what u do after this type of treatment & what happens if the area feels a little bit area after being waxed.
At my salon the the therapist got the client to use the salons shower afterwards but i dont think this is always apropriate.
Also the strectching techniques used when they wont you to do the more deliate and intimate area do you get them to stretch both sides?

Hi there kate thankyou very much for your post it has been very helpful just one more question i wanted to ask with regard to Brazilian and Hollywood waxing i heard that after the treatment no after-wax lotion is to be applied to the area as it will be highly sensitized is this what u do after this type of treatment & what happens if the area feels a little bit area after being waxed.
At my salon the the therapist got the client to use the salons shower afterwards but i dont think this is always apropriate.
Also the strectching techniques used when they wont you to do the more deliate and intimate area do you get them to stretch both sides?

if the area feels sore then its important to use after wax products. aloe vera gel i find is the best.

As for stretching i work on one side at a time. so no need to stretch both sides.

HTHs. =]

Eye brow waxing on Men Do you do both the top & Bottom & the middle part or just the top or bottom area or does it just depend on the indiviual just wanted to know as a general guide cos i know on women you shouldnt wax the top as it gives it a more natural shape than if you we're to do it.

Eye brow waxing on Men Do you do both the top & Bottom & the middle part or just the top or bottom area or does it just depend on the indiviual just wanted to know as a general guide cos i know on women you shouldnt wax the top as it gives it a more natural shape than if you we're to do it.

Check with your client beforehand, but as a general rule I always remove any hair from the mid-point above the nose, leaving about a thumb width's space between the brows. Men's eyebrows should start slightly closer together than female brows.

It's perfectly acceptable to remove stray hairs above the brows on the temples and forehead, but avoid overly sculpted lines and arches on chaps (unless of course that is what they want!). Use the existing natural shape as your guide. Some chaps will want the 'fluff' removed from above the brows to create a cleaner line, which is where your judgement as a therapist comes in! :)

You might also want to take a look at the following tutorial I wrote on male waxing, there are some more tips on eyebrow waxing for fellas on page 4:

http://www.salongeek.com/beauty-tutorials/40519-gorilla-warfare.html

HTH's x

cos i know on women you shouldnt wax the top as it gives it a more natural shape than if you we're to do it.
Sorry, but I've got to disagree with that as it's a very old fashioned way of thinking. Always wax over the top to ensure you get a perfect shape. xxx

Great informations!!! Help me a lot! Thank you xxx

Hi has anyone done their vr74 element 1 assignment. Please help:irked:

I know this tutuorial is old but ive just joined..lol

i got a question on the brazilian, how do you wax the top line of the bikin..?

i always get a wonky line and problems with the wax on unwanted hairs..

can u advise...thanks

Even if you've used non strip wax for the rest of the Braz/Bikini, which I strongly advise, you can use strip wax to get a nice clean line. Run you spatula across the top and place the edge of your strip over in a straight line.............you'll be able to see if it's out that way. xxx

only thing you can really do is trim the client, or ask them to trim before they come. Personally, i dont trim for them, i dont like the thought of the stray hairs floating round my salon. :irked: at least if they are waxed they are stuck to the strip and straight in the bin!!

other than that, i sometime kinda scoop the hairs up in the thong in the middle, if that makes sense...? it holds them central so you can work around it. Keeps the long ends out your way.

HTHs x

I know this tutuorial is old but ive just joined..lol

i got a question on the brazilian, how do you wax the top line of the bikin..?

i always get a wonky line and problems with the wax on unwanted hairs..

can u advise...thanks

Latest posts

Back