What did you do as a profession before joining this one??

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

collin

the original not the fake
Premium Geek
Reaction score
I often wonder what people started out doing in their working life before finding the profession they love and work in today.

So what did you used to do before you entered this one,how did you enter it and where do you see you will be in another 10 years time?

I worked in a call centre doing credit card fraud...i hated it...to many team leaders...supivisors and managers....i was always in trouble cos i wouldn't conform..:lol:...i wont ask permission at my age to go loo and i refuse to explain why i have been gone for more than the allowed 5 mins !!!!

so i left...

I worked in an office for 14 years working from office junior to as high as I could go. I then moved sideways and ran a training centre, training other secretaries and also did a health & safety qualification.

I then had a complete career change for various reasons and trained to be a nursery nurse.

After my course was finished I discovered I was pregnant with my twins. When they were about to start school I wanted to do something I could do from home and fit round their school. I discovered nails!

I trained as a nurse, then as a theatre nurse, and worked in that profession for 10 years. Then I went into IT projects and eventually became a Project Manager, then a Programme Manager. I hated the last job I was in to the extent that it made me ill, physically and mentally so I left. I used some redundancy money to tranform a room into a salon and to pay for some training. I had already trained as an aromatherapist 12 years ago and had always wanted to be an aestheticienne. So now, at this crossroads, I took the turning marked - do something different - and here I am! In ten years? No idea! Isn't that part of the fun?!

I went to uni and got a degree in Forensic Science then realised dead bodies grossed me out!

Plus i hate being told what to do i prefer being my own boss!

I worked as a financial advisor, working and playing hard, which i loved until i had my first son! Then i decided that I wanted to be around for him, so did a beauty therapy course etc. Best decision ever!!

chef, performer and exotic dancer, I still do guest appearances as all of them :)

i started as a dental nurse which i did enjoy but left when i had my son. i then had a few years out had my daughter.
then because of my son's needs, i needed a job that could be very flexible so i though being a mobile therapist was the best option which it was and it's the best job in world....i love it.

i would love to have my own shop but thats years away yet!

:green:

I worked for an insurance company then became a Health & Safety Advisor ......

Lol @the call centre Angie, done a bit of that too lol

Left H&S and took up nails..................best thing i ever did..

I left school and trained as a hairdresser .. hated it ... so had a complete change and trained as a nurse.

A few years later and after lots of personal stuff happening in my life I ended up working in an office and I still do one day a week for the firm now 18 years later. I planted the seed last week that my business is really happening now .. so I think they know I am going to have to leave there soon ... sad actually as I do love everyone there.

But now I adore my work.. and the people I meet through it... it gets better and better every day .. there are changes happening all the time which helps to keep me motivated and enthused.... and all the hard work these last 5 years are really starting to come to fruition :)

One part of my job I love too is meeting all the geeks I chat to on this wonderful site... 'ay... aint life grand' :hug:

Insurance Industry, starting out as office junior finishing up as marketing co-ordinator for sales.

I worked in Marketing for a big Financial Services company - was there 16 years doing all sorts of things and then took redundancy. Used the money to do my Foundation Course (and then to live on!!) and set myself up mobile....... The job I left was the only actual 'proper job' I've ever had, but I love my work now......!!!!

I have done several things from running my own catering buiness for a few years to doing private commissions special commissions for Liberty's and Harrods porcelain departments for hand painted and fired porcelain pieces.

Lots of fun ... all of it.

I then started in 1985 and ran a chain of my own nails only salons for years and of course branched into training and distribution in 1993. It's been a great trip all the way! And it still is.

Where will I be in 10 years ?? Hopefully where I am now because I love my life just like it is and if it never gets any better then I am perfectly happy now so it doesn't matter.

Originally I wanted to do beauty, but thought there was no money into it, so did 3 years at college and subsequently become a pensions administrator which still had no money in it lol. I did this for 7 or so years, with a break in between to become a holiday rep and work in a bar in Mallorca. It was when I fell pregnant with my first son I decieded I hated working in an office and chose to do 2 years at college to study beauty. BUT just as I completed the course I fell pregnant and therefore qualified but didn't do anything up until very recently. I love beauty and I love the people I get to work on, and I can't wait to properly be up and running as a mobile therapist. I have just spent lots of money on converting to CND and Biosculpture nails and am about to pay for the Tantrick spray tanning kit and training so I am very skint but very happy and excited!

Customer Services then Sales and Marketing Assistant for Nestle great job, too much free chocolate though, I started a size 12 and eft a size 18:irked::irked:

When I left school I trained for three years to be a car mechanic, when I'd finished that I trained to be a beauty therapist. I'd rather do beauty any day though xx

left school and did a few retail jobs nothing special:rolleyes:...trained in nursing ..did that for 11 years up till the point it made me over stressed worn out,over worked ,hacked off and physically ill :irked::cry::eek:,even after having my son now 18 i went back full time after 3 weeks ...gave it up 7 years ago and never went back...did retail part time ,then decided to do beauty & holistic therapy & thought i could do that i wanted to be my own boss..like everyone else i hated being henpecked and biting your tongue incase you exploded.!!!:mad:..best thing i did...where i see myself in 10 years ..hmmmmm i'm happy as i am at the moment..although running my own salon with some nice staff sounds a good idea ...but thats a good few yrs away yet.:)

Hi! I'm new to salon geek and am really glad I've come across this group! Before beauty therapy I was at school!

I was a chargehand / line manager in a factory processing meat (slicing, packing, pricing) i worked there untill we was made redundant. My boys were still little so i used to drop them at school and i would go do private house cleaning, i had my own key which was quite scarey at the time as the houses were huge and had high tech alarm systems, the owners was megga rich earning in the eccess of 100k+ a year:eek:

I did that for well over 5 years and once the lads went to the high school i jacked it in and went into childminding which i did untill 3 years ago when i decided to do beauty & nails.

Ive thoroughly enjoyed all my job rolls as each one has entailed different responsibilities, staff rotating, work load prioritising, key handling, order chasing.

I guess you could call me jack of all trades lol

out of school i trained as a hairdresser , did that for a while , have also worked in a bakery ,a dn done a bit of cleaning too , lol went into nails in 2003 and beauty the yr after , now i offer all three aspects , :lol:

Latest posts

Back