What learning style are you?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What learning type am I?

• Visual -learn through seeing

Votes: 32 26.4%
  • Auditory - learn through hearing

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Kinesthetic - learn through doing

Votes: 88 72.7%

• Total voters
Its hard to say for me..
If i hear it i can picture it in my head.. sometimes i picture it wrong..
If i see it i can go over and over it in my head.. but it doesnt always turn out how i pictured..
If i do it i usually get it wrong untill the penny drops..

But without all 3 of those i wouldnt be able to do it..

if i didnt hear and see first i wouldnt be able to do it at all.. I would continue to get it wrong.. get myself all flustered and then eventually give up..

So all of the above and so much more for me! :green:

i am deffinatley a visual/kinesthetic learner as i like to see first hand what's going on but i like the practical side of learning. This is also how my students learn best. I have found that i have to try and mix the diffrent styles that way i'm covering everyone's needs.

Not bashing any one's learning skills or methods of learning-

You must see, say, write and do what ever it is you are learning at least 7 times before it becomes ingrained.

For those who learn best listening- take notes, record them, listen to them, write them, repeat them out loud and then apply the knowledge whilst you are repeating it yet again.

For those who learn best watching- watch it, if possible record it to watch again, OR record yourself applying the knowledge so you can see the things that worked or didn't, have someone with experience demonstrate and give a written and visual (video or photo guide) they need to be able to clearly explain while doing the work, then write in your own words what needs to be done, read it out loud then apply your knowledge.

For those who learn best doing- employ the same methods as the watchers except instead of having a demonstration, have some one watch and guide you through the work step by step.

See it, say it, write it X7= retention

The only way i learnt anything at school and college was to watch or read then write it down which afterwards I would beable to recite it from memory.​

I voted visual but now I have read it properly I know that I am Kinesthetic (seeing that big word probably scared me as I didn't check what it meant haha!) x

I learn through practice, I am hands on but I also read alot as well.

I'd love to come and watch you work. I will be qualified in 2 weeks and am sponge-like in my acceptance of information. Where in West Yorkshire are you?

I'm a visual learner.

Interesting stuff. Good thread :hug:

Hi
I love reading about stuff like this! Fascinates me... guess that's why I went into training. I'm a little bit of all learning styles as most people will be but my preferred learning style is visual.

I have got a learning styles questionnaire with some tips to help you study/learn better but I don't seem to be able to attach it. Any tips... it says i've exceeded my limit for attachments but I've never posted any!! boo hoo...
Gilly xx :biggrin:

ENClopedia of nails by Jacqui Jefford and Ann Swain and the Complete nail technician by Marian Newman aka MUM are my teaching BIBLES!"!! your teacher friend is quite correct with the VAK theory.. i studied this also... but i was told i missed one out! its VARK!! Visual, K Audio READING and Kinesthetic.. as i guess lots of folk learn thru reading alone.. Im a bit of all 4!!!

I'm a combination of visual/kinisthetic. I really need the visuals, but having the hands-on really cements the motor skills, ifkwim! :)

I am more the visual type. When i see a procedure it sticks in my mind and i can duplicate it. When i see a procedure i know instantly weather i can do it or not... and i have to admit that tought of me not being able to do something just as good or even better then someone else doesn't go down so well :o that's what makes me push myself to get there.

As a qualified Teacher we had to learn at college how everyone learns and retains information via different channels.

I am too a hands on learner, masses of writing and essays drives me nuts but in most courses you have to do a bit of everything.

We are lucky in our industry as we do get to do mostly hands on learning, but there are a lot of other courses out there that are just based on theory.

A good example is children in school. My 7 year old does not understand why we times things so I have had to show her physically with coins. Where as in school they just make them recite the times tables with no explanation as to what its for!

a good teacher/lecturer will draw up a teaching and lesson plan prior to a lesson etc. In it they should to take into account the three different methods of learning to get the point across to everyone. I suppose this is what makes the difference between a good and bad teacher.

Latest posts

Back