What songs reduce you to tears? and why?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

julesgems

Reaction score
For me, its Weekend in New England by Barry Manilow. Every time I hear this I come over a complete emotional wreck!:cry:

It takes me back 11 years to when my beautiful boy (my beloved cat of 17 years - Henry) passed away. I was 6 months pregnant at the time and when hubby and I came away from the vets, this song was on the radio. Neither of us could see through the tears!

Two weeks later- while griefing - I went into labour and gave birth to my georgous daughter. Thankfully, she suffered no ill effects from being 11 weeks early and she is now growing up fast!

So I was wondering - what songs make other geeks cry and why? Because we all have a sad story to tell, don't we?

Dont you forget about me - simple minds. The Madeleine McCann appeal use this song with her pics at events to promote the search for Madeleine. Everytime I hear it now, I think of Madeleine and wonder whatever happened to her and often find myself teary eyed. :cry:

Ae Fond Kiss by Robert Burns, sung by Wee Fee Wallace. Performed beautifully at my Dad's funeral a few weeks ago.

I Can't Make You Love Me - George Michael :cry::cry::cry:

For me at this time in my life it has to be Time in a Bottle by Jim Croce. This was my fabulous Father's favourite song and was played at his funeral on the 26th August this year.

:hug:

When my sister died, they played Cliff Richard's "Millennium Prayer" at her funeral (as she was a big Cliff Richard fan) so when I hear it now I always cry because it reminds me of my sister.

Brian Adams Everything I Do has always made me cry. It was mine and my ex's song and the circumstances of our split had me in tears a lot everytime that was on.

When I was younger it was a piece of music called Greensleeves, even as a tiddler I'd cry at that, I still tear up. It must be significant but I dont know why.

Then years ago Elton John had a record out, in the video I think he's in some strange little ship in the sky. That was out just as an 'aunt' who was really a damily friend (my Mum and her met in the clinic when her son Mark and me were newborns) was in the last stages of terminal cancer. I can never remember the name of the record but when it comes on I am reduced to a wreck in seconds. I miss Jennifer terribly even 12 years on.

The song that makes me cry every time i hear it is "Have i told you lately that i love you", sung by Rod Stewart.

My Hubby is a big fan of Rod the Mod and he always goes slushy when he plays it, so it reminds me of us when i hear it. (pretty gooey i know!!!):irked:

Last edited:
Take That's "Rule the World" is one that makes Sonia cry...

Yes Ruth, that's another realy good one to howl too!

Yes Ruth, that's another realy good one to howl too!

I love that song though. It's just magic the way that the verses are in a minor key and then the chorus comes in with a major key (but then there are also minor chords interspersed in the chorus too); I even downloaded the sheet music just before Christmas after we saw Take That perform live in Manchester, and I played it in our downstairs bathroom on the flute (wonderful acoustic in there)...

Brian Adams Everything I Do has always made me cry. It was mine and my ex's song and the circumstances of our split had me in tears a lot everytime that was on.
This is me and my hubby's song too. Played at our wedding.

We have been separated for 7 years and have been back together for the last 3 years but everytime Iheard it when we were split up, I cried :cry:

I know just what you mean, it's that kind of song isn't it xx

My song which makes me cry is by Faith Hill, its called There you'll Be, at present it reminds me of my mum who has passed away recently, it was played on X Factor one week and I blubbed all the way through.. this song gives me bumps when I hear it..strange as it was the soundtrack to Pearl Harbour and that was about planes lol

Sue x

Mine is Somewhere over the rainbow by Eva Cassidy.
It was on TV one night while my daughter was in Great Ormond street intensive care unit. We had been asked to turn off her life support machine and told she wouldn't make it to 2 years old, we had refused of course but i lay in bed in a dingy room already crying and it came on.
I've never forgotten that moment and i am so pleased to say they were very wrong although she has cerebral palsy and chronic lung disease she has a great life and is now 9 years old and brings much joy to our lives.

wind benith my wings by bette midler........i cry every time i hear it or when ever i watvh the film beaches.
I do love somewhere over the rainbow also , sarah......i got quite emotional reading that post thinking about it..........it just shows how wrong some doctors can be though.
x

wind benith my wings by bette midler........i cry every time i hear it or when ever i watvh the film beaches.
x

This one gets me everytime too! Also Celine Dion Because you loved me x

It's got to be Bedshaped by Keane and This Woman's work by Kate Bush for me, they get me each time for different reasons. Fix you by Coldplay is another one, just love it. There are a few more but I can't think off the top of my head just now.

My song which makes me cry is by Faith Hill, its called There you'll Be, at present it reminds me of my mum who has passed away recently, it was played on X Factor one week and I blubbed all the way through.. this song gives me bumps when I hear it..strange as it was the soundtrack to Pearl Harbour and that was about planes lol

Sue x
that one does it to me to Sue because of the film though i get stupidly emotional over films.

The one that has me crying is Dear Mr President by pink, it was playing in my sisters car as we followed my step grandads funeral cars. I cried so hard that day.

YouTube - Godley & Creme

Godley and Cremes's - Cry. This was in the charts in the last weeks of my Dad's life after 5 years of a long and painful decline.

We had a bet on how long it would be before it got to number one, but sadly he died before he won his bet.

23 years on it still makes me cry.

'My heart will go on' - Celine Dion.

This song was played at my Mum's funeral, 9 years ago next month. My Mum was also my 'Bestest Pal':cry: I just cannot be in the same room when it's played, it makes me sob my blooming heart out.

'Endless Love' - Diana Ross & Lionel Richie ( I think) - this was our wedding song.:hug:

Latest posts

Back