Where do I stand? Help please?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ClaireyCanary

Reaction score
ok i know i havnt posted for a while, ive been a silent member for a while hehe. But please can you spare some advice...

Ok so i have a problem, i took a booking for a bridal party 3 weeks ago, i explained to the Bride that it would be best to come into the salon and book appointments from there.

When she came in we were told the wedding was in 3 weeks time (this weekend, easter weekend) We explained we could just about squeeze it in what with it being Easter Weekend, one hairdresser on holiday and me having Thursday and Friday off due to my birthday, and she was really grateful. She booked in for 5 sets of nails, 5 tans, 5 eyebrow shapes and tints and 5 eyelash Extensions, aswell as 5 Bridal Hair and makeup consultations,
So our books read - Tuesday Morning 10am = hair and makeup consultations, Tuesday afternoon=Nails (me working late)
Wednesday and Thursday (yep i even said id work on my birthday for her) Tans etc.... Saturday = Wedding

The Friday before hand she popped in for her hair to be cut and coloured and she was asked are all the other appointments still ok? She said they were and we were all happy.

Today (Tuesday) She rang an hour before her appointment to say firstly that they would be an hour late and that secondly she only wants hair and makeup, no nails, no tans etc etc... I replied that we could have a talk when she came in as thats a lot of cancelled appointments and there would be a fee.

When she came in i explained that due to turning other clients away, wasted time, products bought in especially for the treatments and only an hours notice that she would have to pay a £25 fine (pretty fair considering she cancelled over £300 worth of treatments!) She agreed and on we went with the consultations and she paid for all hair and beauty consultations, fine, very fussy but fine. She booked in a tan and Told us she would pay for the fine and the tan together in a few days time as she didnt have the money on her. I said this was ok.

She then rang up in the afternoon and said that no her daughter would have nails instead of her paying the fine, then changed her mind again to say that she wanted a bridesmaid to have a cut and colour instead of paying the fine.

I stayed calm and explained that all hairdressing and beauty in the salon are seperate and she would still have to pay he fine as it was on the beauty side of things. She then told me how annoyed she was with me how unfair this all was and that i should of told her beforehand about what would happen if she cancelled. I explained that we did mention it to her on Friday, she disagreed but then finally agreed to pay the fine anyway after i explained again about the hours notice, wasted time etc....

I have this feeling that when she does come in for the tan that she is going to kick up a fuss again and i am extremely worried about it as we dont have a written contract on these things and we dont have anything written about cancellation fees as our leaflets are in the post (vistaprint are sooooo slooooowwwww) basically its her word against ours.

Please help? Im so worried about her cancelling the wedding makeovers and hair on Saturday and demanding the money back etc or refusing to pay the cancellation fee when she comes back in etc etc...

It may also be worth noting that she was originally booked in with another salon for makeovers and hair but they cancelled on her (hence the quick booking with us) I am starting to wonder if this salon cancelled her for a similar reason?

Sorry for the essay wanted to make all the facts clear

Cheers, Claire Louise xxx

Has she already paid for the hair and makeup?
If she ask's for a refund, I personally don't do refunds.
I wouldn't let her have any treatments until the fine's are paid.
There isn't alot you can do to get her to pay the fine.
I would put a poster up in the reception area saying about cancellation charges.
She most likely won't beable to get into another salon now anyway so she'll more than likely still have to come to you.

Yep she paid for her hair and makeup today and i am writing up a nice bold poster right now. Its just very intimidating to have her and her 4 bridesmaids in the salon at once and all gathered around you, which is how it was this morning when i first explaianed about the fine, i felt very small and very intimidated and i hate being made to feel like that when im just doing my job and doing my best.
xxx

if they have already paid i would say that if that you will take it out of the money they have paid already and just deduct a treatment worth 25.00 so there still paying the 25.00.. then you'l find they will pay it but if they dont then that may be easier..
you told them verbally as long as you told them when they booked your fine...i used to be very intimidated when opened my salon (still am a little) but they shouldnt have cancelled an hour before..

as long as they were at the booking about your cancellation policy

i think you should call her bluff ,be brave! pre warn her that if she causes any more upset or difficulties for yourself or your staff, offer her a full refund less treatments carried out previously, a fair offer me thinks, or unfortunately you will be unable to proceed with her wedding treatments, the bride may think twice about intimidating you so close to her wedding date !!!

Stand your ground hun!!!

She needs to realise you have made yourself your staff and your salon available to her for all these treatments, turning other customers who wanted these appointments away.

If she turned up for work and was told oh al our work has been cancelled so nothing to do and your not getting paid I dont imagine she would be happy. So why should you!!!!

This comes down to respect in my eyes and she hasnt shown much!!!! I would make her aware that as its now so close the day any further cancellations are chargable at the full rate ie no refund. I doubt she will as who will she get at an hours notice and would you want to take the risk of getting someone who wasnt very good.

Hope everything turns out ok for you hun

Last edited:
omg what a nightmare!!!!!!
stand your ground, i have had a full week of people not being home,(i work mobile)
and have lost a bomb!!:Scared:
i think if you have a salon you are seen as more of a 'company' and more respected.
no way should she not pay you the fine... just tell her that it is your policy and that is that
good luck let us know how you get on xxxxxx

Wow what a terrible nightmare for you!

You have probably thought of this now, but for bulk bookings from now on state in your pricelist, website etc that a% non-refundable deposit is required for tretments/ booking over £/ hours.

I hope tomorrow goes well & she causes no problems - bet you cant wait to see the back of them!

Keep us posted on how it goes

Love Emma x

Well to update you all The Bride has been done! yay!

and what a frigging nighmare it was,

got to the house to discover everyone had washed their hair in the morning and changed their minds as to what they wanted (hell for the poor hairdresser who burnt her finger and had to rush through everyone!)

Did the makeup to be told it was too heavy and that i made them look like goths :evil:

In the end after much pleading they put on their dresses and decided that yes the makeup matched the dresses and that we had made them look good.

The photographer said thankyou and well done - no one else did.

They had all had their nails done in the local Non Standard Salon.

Was told my fine could be paid to me in coppers cos they had no other money. To which me and the hairdresser both said, you know what forget it, have a good day and please be aware that no one will be willing to treat you in our salon again.

THANKGOD SHE IS MOVING AWAY AFTER HER HONEYMOON!!!

On the good side of things, we have now introduced cancellation fee posters to the salon, nice big and bold and have created Bridal Contracts for future brides.

I am so glad to be over and done with that women she caused absaloubt hell and way too many tears in the salon.

Thankyou for all your comments though, helped knowing other people had the same opinion as me of this women.

xxx:D

Thanks for the update.
You poor thing, what a nasty lot of people, good ridance to bad rubbish!
I cant believe they said that about the cancellation fee being paid in coppers wht a check!
How rude to not even thank you!
Good idea about the brial contracts, how have you worded this, and what does it include?
xx

Much as it's nice to take the moral high ground, I have to say I'd have taken the coppers, I'd have counted them in front of her, told her none of them would be welcome in my salon and then taken the coppers to the bank, it's all money hun.
Please do share what's gone into your bridal contract, I'm thinking of doing bridal work and would like to learn from your experience.
Well done on getting though it all, what a nightmare for you.:hug:

Glad it worked out for you in the end and has also learned you a lesson or 2 which you can now implement in your salon so this situation does not happen again. But I would have definitely taken the money.:biggrin:

I have to say I'd have taken the coppers, I'd have counted them in front of her, told her none of them would be welcome in my salon and then taken the coppers to the bank, it's all money hun.

Yeah love it! I so would have done this too, but in all seriousness an up front deposit as previously mentioned is soooo in my contract along with full payment being due 7 days prior to the event. No final payment and I'm not even turning up.

Brides can be cranky (yup I've been there so got married on a deserted island so as not to cause grief to any other poor sods!) but it does sound like this one has totally taken the p***

Chalk it up to experience, learn from it and put in place controls to prevent it from happening again. Sounds **** but this is how we mature and blossom!

Em x

Latest posts

Back