Who are your competition?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

extensionten

Reaction score
We are all on here geeking, giving advice and making new friends. This is great. There are a fair few who lurk too. What I am wondering here is this: How do YOU FEEL about the fact that your geeky friend X lives a couple of miles up the road to you. She is qualified and trying her hardest to build up her client base. So are you. She leaves a thread telling everyone she is / isn't doing well. Now, you are BOTH competing for the same people.... as well as against the salons in your area.

Haha, do you know, I was only wondering about this the other day.
It must be strange to be best friends with the 'enemy' LOL :lol:

I have to be honest I have refrained from putting details of my website up as I think that I have worked hard to get it looking how it does and would not like to find out it inspired another mobile therapist to make a better one thus nabbing my clients :lol: guilty as charged!!

Hi Kirsten - Yes there are quite a few geeks who work in the same area as me but I try to concentrate on doing my best for my clients and hoping that those clients keep coming back to me and referring me to their family and friends. I am happy to refer new clients to other local geeks if I can't accommodate them and I have had one or two referrals from my competitors.

At the end of the day, it is not my competitors that necessarily keep me on my toes - it is myself in trying to be the best I can whether or not my appointment book is full or not. Trying to keep one step ahead and up to date with current trends and my education help me achieve this.

Good thread.

I don't think of other local techs "the enemy" in fact, I'm friends with a few of them. You never know one day we may end up working together.
I just try to think about myself and my training and becoming the best that I can be.
If clients think you are good they will make their own decisions.

Amber (minkus) and I are 5 mins away from each other and its great...we do group bookings and weddings together and i would want it any other way....if i am full i pass jobs to her and visa versa...cover each other on holidays and do each others nails sometimes. I do my adverts in my areas and Amber does hers in her areas...Its never been a problem. xx

& this will be the esiaest for me:lol: ...if i'll need some day to start my own business i won't gonna have "enemies" at here at all, 'cause haven't seen anyone from my area so far...
...but this is the biggest problem at the same time,sadly..i would love at least some of U,Geegs...to be closer to me:cry: ...it would be so great to see real techs & professionals work in real...& that is so wonderfull to be able to meet somone,whoes work U love & worship...or even to be able to learn from Them...
...anyway,i think that wont supposed to be a problem ever,'cause all geegs in here are so good, openhearted & friendly!!!!...don't think They would start fighting...the key point of this site is to share the information, look for some knowledge & sharing opinions, not finding out potential enemies...
so, lets live friendly 4ever & ever & ever....:)...:)..

Mine lives next door, both with treatment rooms!!! Its great though and we have an age gap we have clients who want different things from the start. We get together and pass on the new things we've learnt. We also go to the shows. We're good at different things too, she's great at luxury mani's as she's jessica trained where as i'm good at the nail art so we refer clients between us.

I didn't say anything about "enemies" did I? and before Judy quoted it I couldn't see anyone else had either.
I said COMPETITION - competing for your client base. Regardless of "we do group bookings or parties together". I also btw work with Rach on the site and we also do bookings together. We are NOT competing as we don't do the same things.
The ones that have replied are I would say from past posts and profiles have an established business and are now getting referals etc. If you are busy, then of course you would pass to your fellow geek.
I am talking about : Me, a nail tech of just under a year (qualified for enhancements), building up a business in my area and surrounding. THE COMPETITION with geeks and salons in MY AREA is great. So, not being very busy work wise I will geek to get some inspiration, ideas and advice .... FROM my competition. Then I will do as advised. Now my competition have LOST a potential client (hopefully tbh). It doesn't mean I don't still love em.... I just want their clients..... don't I? If I don't then wot the heck am I doing? I just wanted to know how you FELT about geeking and competing and maybe losing a client or more to one of us?
Just a deeper thought here.

It doesn't bother me because I knew that going to college in a small town, of course im going to have competiton from people I know :)

I think its a good thing as it keeps you on your toes & you have to work hard to keep your clients happy & not going elsewhere.

The only thing that does worry me is that someone i know that runs a salon uses same products as me & she undercuts bigtime ! So i do worry that i will loose sales to her if my clients know she charges less :cry:

Haha, do you know, I was only wondering about this the other day.
It must be strange to be best friends with the 'enemy' LOL :lol:
Sorry perhaps I should have used to the quote option.

Again: talking about competing against your fellow geek here only really. How you FEEL when you know that you are trying your hardest to GET her clients.... which if your not.... what are you doing then? I don't care about x salon. They've been there for 100 yrs. My geeky mates, however, are trying to get my clients for their own.... I don't want to feel pissed off that it took me 1yr to get a small client base that may get tempted away by another geek .... but I would!!! truthfully.

It doesn't bother me because I knew that going to college in a small town, of course im going to have competiton from people I know :)

I think its a good thing as it keeps you on your toes & you have to work hard to keep your clients happy & not going elsewhere.

The only thing that does worry me is that someone i know that runs a salon uses same products as me & she undercuts bigtime ! So i do worry that i will loose sales to her if my clients know she charges less :cry:
and if you found out she was a geek and you'd been chattin on here? Invited to another geeks for a meet?..... still pissed off? :irked:

We are all on here geeking, giving advice and making new friends. This is great. There are a fair few who lurk too. What I am wondering here is this: How do YOU FEEL about the fact that your geeky friend X lives a couple of miles up the road to you. She is qualified and trying her hardest to build up her client base. So are you. She leaves a thread telling everyone she is / isn't doing well. Now, you are BOTH competing for the same people.... as well as against the salons in your area.

Sorry I think I'm missing something here.:confused:

Again: talking about competing against your fellow geek here only really. How you FEEL when you know that you are trying your hardest to GET her clients.... which if your not.... what are you doing then? I don't care about x salon. They've been there for 100 yrs. My geeky mates, however, are trying to get my clients for their own.... I don't want to feel pissed off that it took me 1yr to get a small client base that may get tempted away by another geek .... but I would!!! truthfully.

Sorry ive misunderstood but i don't have any geeks in competition with me & if i did i wouldn't say on here if i was/wasn't trying to get her clients.

Sorry I think I'm missing something here.:confused:

Me too !

Sorry if i have taken this the wrong way but i see this thread as almost a way of stirring up trouble between geeks working in the same area ?

I didn't say anything about "enemies" did I? and before Judy quoted it I couldn't see anyone else had either.
Twas meeee. should have used a different word.. it was suppossed to be light hearted 'enemy'

sorry guys:o

Me too !

Sorry if i have taken this the wrong way but i see this thread as almost a way of stirring up trouble between geeks working in the same area ?

No, no I personally dont think so at all.
There has been no question to name and shame, just how you feel about it. xx:hug:

Not sure I understand the need for this thread but live and let live I say.

Our "competition" is our competition whether it is Geeks or no Geeks - to be perfectly honest I would rather have Geeks as competition because there may be a better chance that they will be good technicians. The more great techs out there, the better for the industry.

Our clients are there for us to keep or for us to lose - they will only look elsewhere if they are not happy where they are.

Stop worrying about competition from wherever it is coming from and concentrate on your own job.

Not sure I understand the need for this thread but live and let live I say.

Our "competition" is our competition whether it is Geeks or no Geeks - to be perfectly honest I would rather have Geeks as competition because there may be a better chance that they will be good technicians. The more great techs out there, the better for the industry.

Our clients are there for us to keep or for us to lose - they will only look elsewhere if they are not happy where they are.

Stop worrying about competition from wherever it is coming from and concentrate on your own job.

we all have worried times and i know that a lot of local techs are geeks or lurk.... but like Fiona said.... i get on with my thing... yes im lucky ive been a tech for over 8yrs and have built up a good clientelle ... i alos see that if i offer a good service... then where's my competition...???.... we all offer different things and have different clientelle we aim at... i try to aim at a higher end market.... i have a nice salon and am good at what i do...... so why not!

if you have geeks near you then im sure its great to have a get together and you can bounce ideas and share stuff like if your ill or too busy....recommendations... i have recommended a local geek before... im nt mobile and was v v busy they are mobile and i thought they mite be able to help... but is she my competition???.... i dont think so... as we offer a different service as i am salon based....

Jess
xox

No, no I personally dont think so at all.
There has been no question to name and shame, just how you feel about it. xx:hug:

Yep, Tsia - Kirsten was just talking about how you feel about it. I suppose with fellow geeks as competition its more personal, as you see them come on the site and post, rather than competition that you dont know.

Er....does this make sense?!:)

Latest posts

Back