10yr old wanted fullset doing?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think 10 is a bit bad, but I don't see the problem in a 14/15/16 year old?

My next door neighbours child is 6, and when her mum has a manicure so does little one, but she doesn't always have the nail varnish - only if its a school hol, and its usually off in a few days. I dont see a problem with that, she is just joining in with mum.

Extentions on a child is a bit scary though. You'd have to put such tiny ones on!

I honestly don't see why small should be scarey!

What's the difference between doing the little fingernail on a mature woman and a small fingernail on a youngster? We do little nails every day on woman .. most often they are the easiest nail to do, right?

Small little perfectly formed nails suitable to the age of the child If a parent wants it for that child should not even be noticeable to most people if they have been done sensitively by a GOOD technician.

Last edited:
Ha ha.....what have I missed???

I don't see any problem in allowing children to have nice nails. By this I mean having nail polish, nail art, maybe even Minx, but I don't like the idea of enhancements on children. I guess each parent knows their own child and would know how well they would look after their nails and how active they are but I would still feel uneasy about doing them.

My 2 niece's are 8 and love to watch me 'practising' at home and always ask to have their nails done, they have asked in the past if they could have enhancements like Jessie (they named my practise hand) but I always say no not until you are older. Even if I did them really short I woulld still worry about them catching their nails whilst playing and ripping them off and the thought horrifies me!

And I agree with the point that I would rather my niece's played with their nails and hair than started dressing like adults! Now that really is inappropriate!

I honestly don't see why small should be scarey!

What's the difference between doing the little fingernail on a mature woman and a small fingernail on a youngster? We do little nails every day on woman .. most often they are the easiest nail to do, right?

I did not mean it would BE scary. I mean its scary to see something so adult on a small child.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is no need to pick at everything I say because you didnt agree with my first post I put on this website.

I did not mean it would BE scary. I mean its scary to see something so adult on a small child.

Chill out abit love. Geeg is not "picking at everything you say", to be honest the way you typed it does look like you meant putting them on would be scary. See what we mean when we say you have to be careful how you type/read/analyse what someone is saying... very hard as no facial expressions/emotions to go with text. Geeg has a point, you do do small nails every day.... someones pinky and they are easier than bigger nails. Maybe just read your post next time before you press submit? But i agree with you that extensions on small children do make you double take when they are very very young as we're not used to seeing it. It's like when a new fashion trend comes in and everyone double takes before adorning it themselves in the future lol

Sorry but I'll just be quiet then. No opinions from the newbies! :grr:

I have just read through this whole thread and i have to say that this thread is the prime example of why i haven't been coming to salongeek regularly, people are just so quick to jump down someone's throat and not just take a minute to re-read their post before answering.

It is such a shame as i absolutely love this site and i do miss it, however some people are just using it to bully and belittle others to their way of thinking, i have noticed a "its my way or the highway" attitude on some threads and it makes me quite sad, surely we are all entitled to our opinions and are capable to express said opinions without getting personal.

There are geeks on here such as Geeg, VHunter, Emmsy, etc who have been around and about this site for a long time, they have contributed to threads, helped people out with problems etc for just a "thankyou" as they love this industry and want to do nothing but help newbies and then as soon as they say something that can be taken in more ways than one, some people are just too quick to jump down their throats and have a go! WTF is all that about??
You should be thanking these women instead of trying to score points.

Right i'll step down from my soap box now, i just think that some things needed saying.

Geeg, Victoria, Emmsy, you have my utmost respect, thankyou.Xxx :hug:

I did a (mature) 9year old today..i was a bit shocked but her parents were with her and in my opinion, they are no worse than her having her ears pierced, in fact piercing is far more invasive!

I told her of risks and what to do when they are removed and how they should be removed. Kept short and neat, i had to file her ridges off but I didnt find it hard to apply altrhough she was a biter.

I wouldnt let my 9 year old daughter have it done, id promote polish and at a push gel overlays, each to their own!!

I donated a gift certificate for gel nails to a Habitat for Humanity auction....and the lady who purchased the certificated asked if I would put the gel nails on her 6 (thats right six) year old daughter:eek: when I said no she then asked if I would put them on her 12 year old daughter. I told her that I wouldn't recommend them to anyone under the age of 16. I ended up giving the purchasers sister a set of gel toenails. So I am glad you stood your ground and said no, as I did. The last thing I want in the small town I live in is to be known as the lady that puts nails on 6 year olds!

I haven't been on for a while and seem to have missed quite a bit...lol. I have to agree that I would not do regular enhancements of any kind (L&P, gel, tip n dip, whatever) on anyone who's body is not at least close to full maturity as I would be afriad that any regular restiction of normal growth would cause permanent disfigurement of the nail bed.
Also, trying not to be a typical woman, but did anyone take into account that the original poster is a FATHER ? I know that my Father would have lost his mind if he thought I was trying to grow up too fast, it's a Dad thing, we are thier little girls :) Sorry if that offends the men on here, not meant to.
My point is not personal but professional. I would not do it because I would not want to damage a young ladies nail beds.

I've shellac-ed my 8 year old, hands and feet, she had a horrable acedent when she was a tot and lost top part of one finger , they put the matrix ect back in and she now has a nail, that nail curves over her finger tip as there is No pulp at the finger tip , so no free edge ,
this is part of the reason why I became a nail tech ! She's 8 at the mo I keep the nail looking as good as I can and I do make all her nails look good so that she dosent feel odd ,
when / if she asks me I will do wat ever I can in the way of an enhancement for her.
Even if she's 10!
So yes there can be resons to "enhance" a nail !

I had an accident at the age of 1 1/2 years that completely severed the tip of my left index finger. Because the finger was so tiny the Doctor and my parents did not realize that part of the matrix had survived until a small claw started to grow out of the end of my finger.
I am so glad that my parents did not have access to enhancements and nail technology like we have today, I am afraid that I would have felt so self-conscious that I would never have become an esthetitian.
One of my instructors even had the nerve to tell me that I did not have the hands to be a tech because of that finger. I told her that opinions are like belly buttons, evrybody has one, and went on with my day and graduated second in my class!
I worked for many years with most clients not even noticing that finger until I made a point of it.

I haven't been on for a while and seem to have missed quite a bit...lol. I have to agree that I would not do regular enhancements of any kind (L&P, gel, tip n dip, whatever) on anyone who's body is not at least close to full maturity as I would be afriad that any regular restiction of normal growth would cause permanent disfigurement of the nail bed.
Also, trying not to be a typical woman, but did anyone take into account that the original poster is a FATHER ? I know that my Father would have lost his mind if he thought I was trying to grow up too fast, it's a Dad thing, we are thier little girls :) Sorry if that offends the men on here, not meant to.
My point is not personal but professional. I would not do it because I would not want to damage a young ladies nail beds.

I honestly do not know why you would think that putting something on top of a nail that is growing would restrict that growth or affect the nail Matrix and therefore disfigure the nail bed? I don't know where you would get this idea and it really is not logical if you understand how the nail grows. Furthermore, damage to the matrix can occur through trauma at any time of life (young or old) and affect the appearance of the nail; it is not resrticted to minors.

I think this thread personally has run its course and that your personal opionion and everyone elses, regarding the upbringing of children, are just that .. your opinion and that the parents of a child do not have to concur with your opinon nor you theirs.

Having taken a full esthetics course with all the biology that entails, and not being born yesterday, I may have an idea of how a nail grows. I have worked in this industry for quite some time and do have a smattering of knowledge. I was referring to the restriction of the nail as it pertains to the c-curve which can be pronounced at the cuticle area but rather flat at the free edge. I have even noticed a difference in an adults nails when they have sport length enhancemants which, generally, are filled regularly but not removed and replaced.
I merely stated that I would be afraid to regularly restrict this growth in someone who's body is still growing.
Also, I do not recall judging anyone's parenting, tried my darndest not as a matter of fact. Wouldn't want anyone flying off the handle because they thought I might be judging something I don't have the right to. Too much of that goin on already eh?

Having taken a full esthetics course with all the biology that entails, and not being born yesterday, I may have an idea of how a nail grows. I have worked in this industry for quite some time and do have a smattering of knowledge. I was referring to the restriction of the nail as it pertains to the c-curve which can be pronounced at the cuticle area but rather flat at the free edge. I have even noticed a difference in an adults nails when they have sport length enhancemants which, generally, are filled regularly but not removed and replaced.
I merely stated that I would be afraid to regularly restrict this growth in someone who's body is still growing.
Also, I do not recall judging anyone's parenting, tried my darndest not as a matter of fact. Wouldn't want anyone flying off the handle because they thought I might be judging something I don't have the right to. Too much of that goin on already eh?

I don't think anyone has made the slightest implication that you have judged anyone .. at least not that I can see.

WE have allot in common in fact. 25+ years in the nail industry for me and I also cut off the end of my thumb when 9 years old in a machine .. later sewn back on with a much damaged matrix resulting in an off kilter, thick ugly, and distorted nail plate.

Nail enhancement on that particular nail for over 25+ years (in fact that thumb nail is what got me interested in doing nails) has made it look absolutely normal ... has never restricted the growth of it ... and it is the same ugly little nail underneath that it has always been. Contrarily I would have died of pleasure if at the age of 10 there had been someone around that could have transformed my nail ... my confidence as a teen would have been much higher if I hadn't felt I had to hide it all the time as I found the look of it offensive and figured others (boys in particular) would too.

As a result of my experience, I have done many prosthetic nails for people who have had trauma to their nails and have wanted them to look absolutely normal .. One of the things I was known for in fact, and the local podiatrists used to send me both grown ups and children to work on to enhance damaged nails ... I guess the podiatrists, the experts, did not feel that enhancement done by an expert would restrict any growth or distort the shape of the nails and of course it did not.

We each make our own decisions for our own reasons. I try to make mine on the facts and as I know them and have seen it and experienced it over my time in nails. I have never seen enhancement itself distort a nail plate nor is there any logical reason why it would do that --- I have seen technicians cause traumas and damage plenty of times but never the product itself.

Although i am all for each proffessional making their own rules as to how they run their business, at the end of the day we are proffessionals, and i mean if your insurance covers you and you have signed permission from the parent which includes their understanding of their child having said enhancements and the proper aftercare etc then i dont see this as a problem.

the only thing i would do would be to offer perhaps a sculpted natural french manicure as opposed to a tip, and for them to be short as opposed to long, that way maintaining them (for a young one) woud be easier, and it also looks very natural asnd elegant without being TOO old for them.

Sarah x

My apologies Geeg, the way your response was worded and the use of the quote led me to believe that it was directed at me in it's entirety. I'm sorry to hear of your thumb accident, perhaps because mine happened at such an early age it did not affect me as deeply. I do admit to being a little self conscious as a teen, but I was self conscious for so many reasons that the finger seemed to be minor. Each person and situation is unique eh? (OMG, I sound so bloody Canadian... my English Gran is rolling in her grave :) )

I can understand why some of you are so shocked by a 10 year old wanting their nails done. Nails are big business they see thier mum having nails done, their sisters, Aunts etc. So why won't they??? We played around with girlie stuff like lipstick, make up, dressing up and High heels - and we know what damage high heels can do to your feet and ankles. 'We didn't do nails as they were not around', yes nails were. I remember my mums fake stick on nails, terrible things - got wet off they come!! I know I tried these and lost a few of hers. But I was a nail biter desparate to have nails so I also did something alot worse!! I would bite my toe nails off and superglued them to my fingers thinking they would look good!!! Not a bad idea considering what we do now with plastic tips!!:irked:

I have done 10 year olds (for special occassions/nail biters) in the past with parents concent, but no prep so doesn't do damage, they come off by themselves in a few days. 10 years see how nice their nails could look and will be inspired to grow their own. Then carry on with manicures, nail art etc. However, I will not do permanent nails until a child is 14 with concent. I'd rather do them then let them go into the local 'Nailbar' and have them drilled!! Then what damage could be caused???:eek: You could be losing out (due to your principles), on a good money spinner. There is no legal age as far as I'm aware for nails?

People must remember that there are youngsters out there that have nails hair extensions, make up spray tans etc due to dancing activities. There is nothing wrong with it as long as there is concent and done correctly. As for the Purverts - they don't always look for children that 'look older', most of these want children to look like little children.

If a child came to you and wanted a mini facial - would you refuse? There is always two sides. That child should still be playing with dolls or the other side she is young enough to encourage her to look after her skin and carry on through adulthood!! Yes children are growing up quicker these days, but i'm sure our parents felt the same when we were growing up. We can't however much we try stop our children from growing up. Our views may not always be the best for someone else's child.

Sorry not meant to be a rant on any side, but you must see it from all angles. :rolleyes: It could be a good thing as well as a bad!

couldn't agree more! I have watched these threads for a LONG time now....... I have a 12 year old daughter who borders on the tom boy, she is a 'typical' teenager who doesn't like to wash, shower, bath or spray deodorant but straightens her hair before leaving for school and checks her lips look good!. I'm only too happy to do her a manicure, pedicure, facial, spray tan or enhancements if she asks because IMO none do her any harm whatsoever and for those moments I'm pleased she is at least thinking about taking care of herself - lets face it, when I extend her nails at least her hands get a good clean lol

Latest posts

Back