3d fantasy nail art sculptures

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michellehayley

Reaction score
Quick question. When you see the fantasy competitions at excel how do the competitors make the 3d people. I saw someone who made Peter pan at one competition and I am wondering how. Is it a clay sculpt with acrylic over?

Does anyone know I fancy having a play and then perhaps doing some training

I think its amazing

maybe a wire framework underneath acrylic.
sam biddle teaches how to do this. i am taking a class with her in november in coventry to learn this and other techniques.
ive been on her courses before and can highly recomend them.

maybe a wire framework underneath acrylic.
sam biddle teaches how to do this. i am taking a class with her in november in coventry to learn this and other techniques.
ive been on her courses before and can highly recomend them.

I am actually looking to go on one next month. What I cant get my head around is how do you get wire into that shape? Also what sort of wire? I really want to have a go before going on the course

Hi,

Check out this video for the nail pro magazine, done by Viv Simmonds....this should help you out!

Nailpro Behind the Scenes

Hi,

Check out this video for the nail pro magazine, done by Viv Simmonds....this should help you out!

thankyou asaka! That was amazing. Going to make a snake at work today lol. So how would you make people would that be foil too.

Come on guys more videos and ideas please

You could always use bit of foil too and twist, mould it :hug:

Fantastic video!!! Really enjoyed watching that! :green:

Hi,

Wow that video was amazing.....yes I know it is extreme and fantasy nail art isn't for everyone.....but the workmanship in the acrylic coating of the snake and all those leaves was fantastic. Oh and a great extended nail bed !!

Actually it has to be said that underneath all that fantasy art was a brilliant set of nails!!...............and Viv's own nails were kick ass!!!

thankyou asaka! That was amazing. Going to make a snake at work today lol. So how would you make people would that be foil too.

Come on guys more videos and ideas please

To make people, you use foil and pliable wire. You can also use nail forms. I made a 3D shoe using foil and nail forms, which was quite fun!

My next project which Im half way through is a mermaid...will post a pic up when I finish it. :)

Do u think u could use clay then mold acrylic round. X

Do u think u could use clay then mold acrylic round. X

Hi ya,

You could use anything as a base before appling the acrylic if youre just going to have a play around with your products ,( i have found though that acrylic wont stick very well to certain things) but in the fantasy competitions, you need to try and make sure that all the pieces you apply to nails are as light weight as possible ,it makes it alot easier for your models to wear ! lol ..... thats why wire and tin foil are used alot as a base

hths
haze x

Ooooo I did like watching that clip ! I think I spent more time looking at Viv's nails though lmao GAWJUS !

I would have built from entirely acrylic, if I were to do something like that before watching that clip ! That snake would have took me about 3 days :lol: so am loving the tin foil tip !

I use different things when I play with my l&p to make things other than nails...

Sometimes I just work from l&p alone, sometimes I use wire, To be honest I usually just get my stuff out and see what happens ...sometimes it works... and sometimes it doesn't:green:

Loved that clip fascinating to see how its done, I am hoping to do the Fantasy Class with Sam Biddle soon. Thank you for posting the link.

anne xx

What you also can do is to use a metal wire frame and clay of you make larger 3D sculptures and build on top with acrylic. You need to have a clay that airdryes ofcourse and that becomes light once it has dried. in this way you have a lot of control in putting in details.

Thanks 4 all the tips x

Just to mention that if you enter competitions the figures must either be made entirely of acrylic or have a light copper wire frame. Applying acrylic over clay or plastic figures will disqualify your entry.

Just to mention that if you enter competitions the figures must either be made entirely of acrylic or have a light copper wire frame. Applying acrylic over clay or plastic figures will disqualify your entry.

didnt know that, thats a really good tip.

so glad i kept my acrylic (no brand mention) that i got from college, Im gna have a go at this, this is gna be fun, Cant wait my product i will use on, guess there would be a lot of waste :)

Cheers for the inspiration :)

I'm making a figure for a comp at the moment. Have moulded out of clay and added a layer of foil over one half of the clay. When set just pop off the foil and the figure half comes with it. Repeat this for the second half. Then finished both halves the foil peels off the underside of the acrylic and you can join the two halves with more acrylic.
No clay or foil remains and it's nice and light.

:)

I didn´t knew that either... but then again, this is one of those rules that can´t be checked unless they would snapp it in two to see what the centre is made off. there are also ways to go around this and that is to cast a small existing sculpture * not super small ofcourse cause then it doesn´t work* and fill the mould with acrylic so it is entirely made of acrylic.

I haven´t competed yet in these areas but i know trough other techs that compete that there are quite a few that use these tricks.

Latest posts

Back