Adult Children speaking for their parents

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JesseDavidNailDesign

Reaction score
This is a big pet peeve of mine. I had a client yesterday, in her 60's or 70's, and everytime I asked her a question, her daughter kept answering for her.
"Would you like tea?" - "Mom, the tea is hot!"
"What shape do you like?" - "She wants round"
"Do you like this color?" - "That doesn't have shimmer, does it??"

Uggggh.....is this what parents have to look forward to, after years of sacrifice raising their kids? This was the overbearing mother in reverse.

Now, to be clear, this was a sharp woman, who was very put together, and we had a great time. I was so embarrased for her. I completely ignored the interfering offspring, and just kept emphasizing, to my client, that she can have what SHE wants.

Any of you have any thoughts on this??

:lol: sorry but your thread just made me laugh, the joys of getting old eh !...i know married couples who are just the same...ask the hubby a question and wifey answers...:lol:

:lol: sorry but your thread just made me laugh, the joys of getting old eh !...i know married couples who are just the same...ask the hubby a question and wifey answers...:lol:

I do that. lol. We've only been married a year and I find myself answering for him.
Posted via Mobile Device

When I married him he could speak for himself......now after 7 years he cant lmaoooo

When I get to that age I really wouldnt want my daughter speaking for me......god forbid, I know what shes capable of lol lol

Shame her daughter came with her, sounds like she'd have had a much nicer time talking to you on her own!
Very good point that you make though . . . what a nightmare, glad I have no kids that'll do that to me when I get old. I have noticed this happening occasionally at my salon, although I also hate it when Mums do that to their teenage daughters, ie don't let them speak for themselves when you ask what they'd like or at least try and get an opinion from them.
We had a Mum who booked her daughter in for a manicure for her school prom because 'she's not very girly and needs to do something to make herself look better', then when they both turned up the mother was an old bat and the daughter was stunning. Ha ha!

that's brilliant - you should have filmed it; would have made the youtube top ten :)

On the flip sde of the coin I have the opposite experience whenever I go out with my mother.
She may be, at 72, slighlty less moblie that she was but her mind is fine...trust me :lol:
Shop assistants allways address me with an anser instead of my mother,regardelss of the fact that she asked the question.

Change is very often handed to me instead of her despite the fact she handed payment over and is stood there with her hand out.( I'm only stood next to her to hold her bags).

The most recent was when I was with her in a travel agents and she was booking a holiday for her and my father, the agent looked directly at me and confirmed the travel details :eek:...my mother asked her very sweetly ;) to repeat the details to her, even thought she'd heard and understood every word :lol:

Fotunatly my mother has a sence of humour and can see the funny side of this but I find it embarasing and quiet often feel I can't stand next to her to help her with an extra pair of hands.
:hug:

ha my 7 year old already answers questions or finishes sentences for me i hate to think what i have to look forward to!!

On the flip sde of the coin I have the opposite experience whenever I go out with my mother.
She may be, at 72, slighlty less moblie that she was but her mind is fine...trust me :lol:
Shop assistants allways address me with an anser instead of my mother,regardelss of the fact that she asked the question.

Change is very often handed to me instead of her despite the fact she handed payment over and is stood there with her hand out.( I'm only stood next to her to hold her bags).

The most recent was when I was with her in a travel agents and she was booking a holiday for her and my father, the agent looked directly at me and confirmed the travel details :eek:...my mother asked her very sweetly ;) to repeat the details to her, even thought she'd heard and understood every word :lol:

Fotunatly my mother has a sence of humour and can see the funny side of this but I find it embarasing and quiet often feel I can't stand next to her to help her with an extra pair of hands.
:hug:

I wanted to change banks when I was 19 and went into a few banks for info when I was out shopping with my Mum. I went to the counter in one bank and started enquiring about their different accounts, Mum was standing next to me and hadn't spoken a single word the whole time.

I liked the sound of this bank and said I would like to open an account. The bank teller (probably only aged about 22 herself), looked Mum straight in the eyes and said 'Would you like to open an account with us for your daughter?' Mum was a bit startled and just blurted out 'I think she can open her own account, don't you?'

I was 19! Fair enough, I look young but I'm a lot taller than my Mum and was dressed in work/office clothes so how young could she have thought I was :lol:

LOL.......It's one those things that you do. I bet the daughter was trying to help speed things up for you as she may well know only too well that her mum is a bit deaf or slow to answer (not something you may notice).

My daughter thinks that I'm old and slow sometimes and I'm only 50.:)

I hate it when women answer for their husband and worse still when they say 'He doesn't like cabbage'. Oh please!!!!!! Be a man. It makes me cringe.

Wait until they can't see sod all, even with their glasses. My mum and I were watching telly and the actress was doing a kitchen scene. My mum said 'Aah, that's a lovely statue of Our Lady with the Rosary beads round her neck'. I tried to let her down gently when I said, 'Mum......that's and iron with the lead wrapped round it'.

LOL.......It's one those things that you do. I bet the daughter was trying to help speed things up for you as she may well know only too well that her mum is a bit deaf or slow to answer (not something you may notice).

My daughter thinks that I'm old and slow sometimes and I'm only 50.:)

I hate it when women answer for their husband and worse still when they say 'He doesn't like cabbage'. Oh please!!!!!! Be a man. It makes me cringe.

Wait until they can't see sod all, even with their glasses. My mum and I were watching telly and the actress was doing a kitchen scene. My mum said 'Aah, that's a lovely statue of Our Lady with the Rosary beads round her neck'. I tried to let her down gently when I said, 'Mum......that's and iron with the lead wrapped round it'.

Pmsl :lol::lol::lol:

Latest posts

Back