Airbrushing French

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crazysaz

Reaction score
hi all, is there any way of airbrushing a french over enhancements so that it really stays put? In these times of financial uncertainty, I think it would be a good alternative to rebalances for forever french or soaks offs for white tips. I've tried doing it on l & P with a gel topcoat but it came of at the edges (even though i think i caped it)
any magic advice?
x

My magic advice would be to do the pink & whites by using pink & white powders.
As in, sculpt the white zone 1 in white acrylic & then sculpt your pink into zones 2 & 3.
Rebalances should really only need to remove the area of zone 1 down and reduce the bulk of the old stress area & thin out the actual free edge & regrowth area of zone 3 and re-sculpt - that way the client is getting a real, chip free french - a happy client that will come back again.
I would not even try to cut corners really, especially at a time when clients will be looking for the best they can buy with their money in the current climate.
They are more likely to come back to you with a proper service, than a place that airbrushes on the whites, with no rebalance - considering that the rebalance is a very important part of a maintenance service in rebuilding not only the whites in the right place, but also the correct 'balance' to reinforce the stress area to ensure no breakages and durability for the client.
My advice would be to step away from the cheaper option and offer a premium service with a premium price. That's what I do & have I never been busier than I amj right now.
People are becoming more savvy as to where they spend their money, wanting something that will last & not mean they need to go back 3 days later as they have chipped/scuffed the whites etc.
I hope you understand what I'm trying to impart here - and I'm not trying to be smart or clever, just advising you as to how I work, with great results.

i cannot stand airbrushed french...may be there is a way of making it stay put...but i dont airbrush so cant advise there. i am yet to see it done where i can say i like the look of it. Around where i am it is what all the NSS use to 'rebalance'..in there opinion their french tips and it looks awful, it never seems to be very opaque and always looks chipped around the edges in a matter of days. I totally agree with everything bev has said...people want their money to be well spent :)

Airbrushed french crys out , NNS look a like nails to me..yuk.!!

Airbrushed french crys out , NNS look a like nails to me..yuk.!!
depends how good your nails are underneath the airbrush french.. if they scream NSS you need to take a serious look at your technique and the airbrush paint ya use.. if is what ppl want its what they want.. some people only want a french for a short period of time, to go back to natural and for that its ideal..

I do airbrushed French all the time and don't have any problems with it. As long as the nail enhancements themselves are perfect it looks great. I use Medea Cloud White paint and build up the depth of the white by using very fine coats of paint - not trying to get it the correct white too quickly as some people do. As with most things, you need proper training to use an airbrush, it's not just point and spray and 'hey presto'.

I've never had any probs with it staying put either, I use a good Finishing Gel and tell the clients not to be messing about with nail files after they've left me. Lasts a good two weeks when I do it and they certainly don't look like NSS nails!

I wish I knew some magic secret to keeping it put. There is a product (that I've never tried personally) - Airbrush topcoat. I don't know if it would be any better than a UV top coat (which is what I use as well). I airbrush simply because my clients demand it - but personally I'd rather not do it at all. When my clients come back for their fill, they usually have some "chipping" on the airbrush and thats when I try to convert and convince them to let me sculpt.

Tammy Taylor Airbrush Top Coat [TT-ABTC] - Lotus Nail Supply

jackie what finishing gel do you use.

hi all, a Vietnamese nail bar has just opened in my town, and to the locals the whole airbrush thing seems to be just great. They do white tips then airbrush the regrowth. I always prided myself on good pink & whites. But I had a wee girl in wanting nails on for her formal so I just put white tips on, then I discovered a girl she works with gets her nails done with me. On the regular client I always do forever french and on talking to the 2 I doscovered that neither noticed the others nails were different! Was a bit peeved of tbh! SOme clients notice quality work, others dont.
A lot of the younger ones want short fake looking nails. I wanted to have a choice on my menu, starting with natural tips all the way up to custom blends.

Debbie we dont really have NSS over here so your comments are ridiculous! Sarah I've told you a 100 times that I have a service of natural l&p wth airbrush french and that it's a good affordable option for those who cant or dont want forever french. Now you have compition it may look like you are copying them so make sure yo have a FULL menu that takes you through affordable to CB. Just do the best work and let your clients decide what they want. I wanted natural set n airbrush french to really take off here but its a mixed bag and I let clients decide for themselves.

As for staying power I have no probs with chipping but airbrushing does wear away a little. after airbrush varnish I apply 1 coat super shiny and one coat out the door.

Debbie we dont really have NSS over here so your comments are ridiculous! Sarah I've told you a 100 times that I have a service of natural l&p wth airbrush french and that it's a good affordable option for those who cant or dont want forever french. Now you have compition it may look like you are copying them so make sure yo have a FULL menu that takes you through affordable to CB. Just do the best work and let your clients decide what they want. I wanted natural set n airbrush french to really take off here but its a mixed bag and I let clients decide for themselves.

As for staying power I have no probs with chipping but airbrushing does wear away a little. after airbrush varnish I apply 1 coat super shiny and one coat out the door.

I couldn't agree more.....giving clients more choice, from an airbrush french for the quicker cheaper option to the bespoke CCB or colourful Design nails, for the more discerning client, has got to be a good thing.
If the new Nail Bar is only churning out 1 mass market look, then you are still way ahead of them.

Exactly! I want to be the nail expert in my town and I don't want anyone able to do anything better than me! On here we are nail professionals and we know what a good nail should look like, but I have customers who want short frenches halfway down their nails, just like I have ones who want really skinny short eyebrows. Its not what I want to do and I can give advice but they pay my wages!
As Izzi and Vanessa say its all about choices!

Hi,

I offer both airbrush french and forever french.

I find that many people do go for forever french as they will always have the french look and dont have to worry bout chipping polish etc...I do have some clients that do prefer airbrush french, as its only temporary. I do tell my clients that airbrush french does not last as long, as over time, it will chip, just like a polish would over time...most clients understand this, and end up getting it anyway.

I normaly put a good top coat on after I airbrush, or a gel coating if they are wanting it to last till their next rebalance appointment.

If you are having problems with the gel chipping off the free edge, then maybe you didnt seal it as good as you thought, or you sprayed the paint on too wet. Wet paint = peeling!

hth

x x

jackie what finishing gel do you use.

Hi Glenda, I use either Ez Flow's Finish It Gel or Star Nails Quattro GF21 - different prices but both do the same job. Young Nails also do a nice Finishing gel too.

Jackie

Can I ask a silly question? Thanks lol

I put gel on the nail trainer nails then airbrushed whites and then did the uv gloss coat but the gloss and the paint wiped off in places. Is this because the top gel had nothing to adhere to? Should I have buffed the shine off the gel, airbrushed and then put the sealer gel on? The airbrushing course I am doing only teaches you to airbrush natural nails.
Thanks
Lorraine

Can I ask a silly question? Thanks lol

I put gel on the nail trainer nails then airbrushed whites and then did the uv gloss coat but the gloss and the paint wiped off in places. Is this because the top gel had nothing to adhere to? Should I have buffed the shine off the gel, airbrushed and then put the sealer gel on? The airbrushing course I am doing only teaches you to airbrush natural nails.
Thanks
Lorraine

You should never airbrush on a smooth glossy surface since the paint won´t be able to grab on to anything. just give it a soft buff to make the gel look matt. if you wouldn´t do this and putt top gel on top of that it doesn´t have a stable base to begin with so if you whipe on your french or you would even slightly bump your nail into something afterwards it would just crack off where the airbrushed french is.

Thank you, I thought that was the case because the gel wouldn't adhere to the gloss of the previous coat of gel. I shall have another go tomorrow.

Latest posts

Back