Alternatives to bread, pasta and potatoes?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't actually like butternut squash much and can't stand sweet potato! Haha what about swede? I love that! Xxx

Aww they're my favs! Love them roasted with carrot and Broccoli

They are high in carbs in the veg world but help keep you full, there's only so many green beans you can eat!

I don't actually like butternut squash much and can't stand sweet potato! Haha what about swede? I love that! Xxx

Lol.

Swede & turnip are both quite high.

Veg that are high in carbs are;
Parsnips
Carrots
Peas
Beans
Squash
Potatoes
Beets
Sweet corn

If you want to do a low carb diet, google India Knight's book. HTH

Cauliflower rice. It sounds odd but works for me. Grate a cauliflower then zap in microwave for 3-4 mins use instead of rice. Im doing 5:2 and use it for my fast days

Sent from my ST23i using SalonGeek mobile app

Last edited:
Great suggestions above :)

Also nuts (not peanuts - they are legumes and therefore a carb) are a great source of protein and are full of the right sort of fats, I keep a small biscuit tin FULL of nuts (costs about £6/7 a week to fill it) and no joke, some days I eat about 40% of my daily calories from nuts, they are filling and give you energy - throw a handful of sultanas or dried cranberries in for taste but not much because of the concentrated sugar in dried fruit

Eggs are fab also - fried in a good oil like walnut or linseed....we can burn off fat, it has such a bad name but the good fats are great!

(I've lost over 2 stone eating like this, with low carb and plenty of chicken and fish and veg - not so much fruit - never felt better :) )

I know these are not substitutes for potatoes and pasta as such, but they are ways of filling up and not being hungry x

What would I do without you wonderful lot! Next food shop I'll be stocking up, thankyou all so much! Xxx

Im bk on dukan tomorrow. Only diet that works for me.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

I really struggle with my weight, the only time I've been happy with my figure is when I did a season working in Ibiza (we were majorly skint and used to eat one tiny meal a day 🙈 spend the rest of the time drinking haha) I'm gonna give this Dukan diet a whirl then as I find I can only lose weight low carbing. what's pcos if u don't mind me asking? x

I really struggle with my weight, the only time I've been happy with my figure is when I did a season working in Ibiza (we were majorly skint and used to eat one tiny meal a day 🙈 spend the rest of the time drinking haha) I'm gonna give this Dukan diet a whirl then as I find I can only lose weight low carbing. what's pcos if u don't mind me asking? x

Poly cystic ovary syndrome, you don't ovulate properly and lots of tiny little cysts appear on your ovaries, messes with insulin levels, weight, acne, facial hair(luckily I don't suffer with that!) and also fertility...not nice 😔 can be incredibly painful occasionally too xxx

I didn't realise there were so many options! Thanks everyone for your help :D I ways thought metmorfin was a fertility drug for pcos...is it for weight loss too? Xxx

Hi , I've had pcos for 17 years and was prescribed metformin, it's not for the fertility problem side if pcos, it's a drug given to diabetics to regulate insulin, and pcos means your body doesn't deal with insulin correctly and that's why docs sometimes prescribe it, it helps with the the excess hair growth and weight gain side of things but you need an understanding gp to prescribe it as it isn't or wasn't licensed for pcos use (May have changed!?) , it certainly helped kick start things with my weight loss, I lost 6 stone but everyday is still a constant battle to keep my weight down xx

Poly cystic ovary syndrome, you don't ovulate properly and lots of tiny little cysts appear on your ovaries, messes with insulin levels, weight, acne, facial hair(luckily I don't suffer with that!) and also fertility...not nice 😔 can be incredibly painful occasionally too xxx

oh dear it sounds painful! hope it doesn't cause too much discomfort/problems! my mums got an under active thyroid and she has all sorts of similar problems too 😞xxx

I have PCOS but couldn't live without carbs! I really crave them, luckily I still lose weight eating them, just really slowly

Have a look at the South Beach diet. I found not only did I lose weight but slept better and was a lot calmer and no hunger trauma! I don't eat pasta, bread or rice now. It was only when I did South Beach that I discovered that my IBS was severely aggravated by most carbs. If I really want to eat something carby my rule of thumb is to eat it in as close to its natural state as possible which for me now is basically a jacket potato like once a month lol.

Vicki x

The south beach diet is that one that originated from that cardiologist right? You have a list and you can't eat anything unless it's on the list, more things are added as you go along? I remember my cardiologist telling me about it as I'm not aloud to exercise due to my heart condition - for example no running, no sit ups - nothing! I'm not supposed to walk more then 200ft - but I do, I just take breaks. I'm not even aloud to Hoover or anything. It sucks. X

Yes from what I remember he was a cardiologist. I have found it so easy to follow and use it as my guide for eating on a day to day basis.
Both my brothers are insulin dependant diabetics, one is in England and one is in Ireland. The English one had been told to adopt more of a low carb/high protein diet but the Irish one hasn't so the consequences are the English brother injects a lot less insulin which may be if interest to diabetics.

I am amazed how well you can live without carbs and the more I read the more I think we are misled about the excessive need for them in our diets, thanks to the massive incomes generated by the cereal companies. Most carbs are processed so I think cave man managed without.
I used to think my digestive problems were just bad luck but now I rarely suffer. I hardly ever eat bread and couldn't tell you the last time I touched pasta. I literally look at it and can feel my stomach hurt. My daughter has the same problems and has been hospitalised with constipation although she does like certain carbs like quinoa which seem fine for her.

I currently work crazy hours so often compromise with something like a scotch egg for a snack rather than a sarnie. I live on low cal orange squash when I'm busy as it curbs hunger pangs, not necessarily for weight loss, just to get me through.

Vicki x

Latest posts

Back