Bin Envy ???

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not wash your own bin? Why on earth not? And how are they going to know if you do?

We don't have wheelie bins as we're under the New Forest DC. So we are given pink sacks for ordinary rubbish and clear sacks for recycling - plastic sacks, mind you. So you put your rubbish out on the street corner the night before or the morning of collection. Then the local cats/hedgehogs/any other wildlife that fancies your leftovers rip holes in the bag and drag rubbish all over the pavement. The binmen come and pick up the bags and drop more rubbish on the pavement from the holes in the bags. Nice!

The bags for recycling are supposed to be taken separately, but I have seen on several occasions that one lorry comes and takes the whole pile of bags and it all gets chucked in the same lorry. I can't imagine that the binmen then separate it out before dumping it at the tip, so what a waste of time it's been for the residents who have to bag it all up separately. Makes it a bit of a joke.

We do have quite good recycling facilities here though. There are two local supermarkets that both have the recycling bins in the car parks. But if you want to get rid of cardboard you do have to take it to the tip yourself, and you do need a car to get there.

My goodness the irony of this when I've just sat and watched the BBC News at 6.

They were showing just how much food (in it's packaging) that the large supermarkets throw away each day - it was shocking!!

And then the very next story showed the starving victims of the floods in India and how their Army couldn't get enough aid and food to them.:irked:

The powers that be around the world really need to start looking to big guys and stop focusing on us little fish, because really, the damage we do to the world is nothing in comparison o these multi-national companies.:mad:

phew...at last someone on my wavelength...thought I was talking to a brick wall :grr:

My goodness the irony of this when I've just sat and watched the BBC News at 6.

They were showing just how much food (in it's packaging) that the large supermarkets throw away each day - it was shocking!!

And then the very next story showed the starving victims of the floods in India and how their Army couldn't get enough aid and food to them.:irked:

The powers that be around the world really need to start looking to big guys and stop focusing on us little fish, because really, the damage we do to the world is nothing in comparison o these multi-national companies.:mad:

Don't want to offend you, but there are about 60 million of us living in the UK, so collectively we are a very very big fish, and with respect, the damage we are doing is not nothing. And collectively all our small individual efforts can amount to a big difference:)

There are not many things I feel strongly about :eek:

But this is one of them!

Don't want to offend you, but there are about 60 million of us living in the UK, so collectively we are a very very big fish, and with respect, the damage we are doing is not nothing. And collectively all our small individual efforts can amount to a big difference:)

But this is one of them!

Zoe you are right, we can make a difference, and I like to think that persoanally I and my family do what we can for the environment, BUT the big companies which produce the most waste and pollution always appear to be getting away with it when they should also have restrictions placed upon them.

If they stopped using/producing all the useless, polluting packaging, then we wouldn't have a problem in disposing of it.

We all can do things to make a difference, it's just the small fish are the only ones who appear to making the changes IMO.

Don't want to offend you, but there are about 60 million of us living in the UK, so collectively we are a very very big fish, and with respect, the damage we are doing is not nothing. And collectively all our small individual efforts can amount to a big difference:) of the 60 million people there is a large percentage of OAP's ... babies ... children, what can they do? Plus collectively doing your individual efforts amounts to sweet FA if it doesn't change at the TOP... it might make you feel better but honestly that is all it amounts to...

This isn't a dig at you... far, far from it :hug:

But this is one of them!
ditto...for different reasons....

I am going to stick my neck out here ( yet again ) and say I don't really give two hoots about global warming, pollution, re-cycling and saving our planet. To be honest this is something that is too far in the future to worry about, anything can happen in the meantime.
I am however more worried about more immediate threats to our world and our future generations. Dictatorship... terrorists...
Religous fanatics...paedophiles...murderers...nuclear weapons...the list goes on...

Whats the point of saving water, switching the computer off at night...throwing my rubbish away in an impossibly small bin if some prat decides to blow up the planet anyway???? That seems more of a real threat to me and more harmful to our planet than anything else.

:lol: Please, please don't anyone start a thread on husbands....I will never shut-up then...:lol:

xxxx

DISCLAIMER: this is totally my opinion and no offence is meant to anyone else by what I say, although I am sure there will be people blowing off steam as I write :o
I really wish I could be passionate about being 'green' but as yet I just can't.:green:

I am going to stick my neck out here ( yet again ) and say I don't really give two hoots about global warming, pollution, re-cycling and saving our planet. To be honest this is something that is too far in the future to worry about, anything can happen in the meantime.
I am however more worried about more immediate threats to our world and our future generations. Dictatorship... terrorists...
Religous fanatics...paedophiles...murderers...nuclear weapons...the list goes on...

Whats the point of saving water, switching the computer off at night...throwing my rubbish away in an impossibly small bin if some prat decides to blow up the planet anyway???? That seems more of a real threat to me and more harmful to our planet than anything else.

:lol: Please, please don't anyone start a thread on husbands....I will never shut-up then...:lol:

xxxx

DISCLAIMER: this is totally my opinion and no offence is meant to anyone else by what I say, although I am sure there will be people blowing off steam as I write :o
I really wish I could be passionate about being 'green' but as yet I just can't.:green:
Actually there is every point!!!!!I hope to God this is not the majority view:eek:Have you children????If yes ,then what about their future,their childrens future and so on???:cry:

xxxx

Well Mercedes Coolio Chica, your posts have been very interesting. I particularly enjoyed reading how the rubbish you amass on a daily basis is astronomical, and that you for one will continue to be a nuisance to this planet. Now this! But seriously do you think anyone is impressed by your opinion hun? I mean, I thought there was only a point to boasting if you had something to boast about?

Actually there is every point!!!!!I hope to God this is not the majority view:eek:Have you children????If yes ,then what about their future,their childrens future and so on???:cry:

me feels you haven't been reading the previous posts....if you had then you would know I have 5 children. :irked:
I again feel you might not have actually read my post in it's proper context, I DO CARE about my childrens future...and their childrens future... what I am saying is I don't care about all this hoo-haa about what you started this post for in the first place!!!!!?????
I care about the very real and immediate threats to my future family...which I mentioned in my post.
While it isn't probably a majority view I have...I hate to say there are people who actually do have the same view.

I do re-cycle...I just get mad being told what to do...when it isn't actually doing anything to help...and be honest...are the small fish really making a difference? Even swimming in large shoals, they get gobbled up by the big fish. Get the big Fish to change first...then all us little fish can swim happily together in a very large, clean, sparkling pond. :lol:

(losing my mind now....must be from thinking about my FIVE children and their children...and their childrens children...OMG the expense at birthdays and Christmas...all that wrapping paper to re-cycle...:eek: )

me feels you haven't been reading the previous posts....if you had then you would know I have 5 children. :irked:
I again feel you might not have actually read my post in it's proper context, I DO CARE about my childrens future...and their childrens future... what I am saying is I don't care about all this hoo-haa about what you started this post for in the first place!!!!!?????
I care about the very real and immediate threats to my future family...which I mentioned in my post.
While it isn't probably a majority view I have...I hate to say there are people who actually do have the same view.

I do re-cycle...I just get mad being told what to do...when it isn't actually doing anything to help...and be honest...are the small fish really making a difference? Even swimming in large shoals, they get gobbled up by the big fish. Get the big Fish to change first...then all us little fish can swim happily together in a very large, clean, sparkling pond. :lol:

(losing my mind now....must be from thinking about my FIVE children and their children...and their childrens children...OMG the expense at birthdays and Christmas...all that wrapping paper to re-cycle...:eek: )
So sorry Mercedes,that I missed the fact you have 5 children amongst all the threads.:eek:

Thankfully your view is a minority view,and if it were a majority view then God help us.

Well Mercedes Coolio Chica, your posts have been very interesting. I particularly enjoyed reading how the rubbish you amass on a daily basis is astronomical, and that you for one will continue to be a nuisance to this planet. Now this! But seriously do you think anyone is impressed by your opinion hun? I mean, I thought there was only a point to boasting if you had something to boast about?[/quote

Do you seriously think I am boasting about how much rubbish I acquire?
Does anyone actually READ these posts?
Have I asked for anyone to be impressed by my opinion?

The REASON I will continue to be a nuisance to this planet ( point being I said nuisance...therefore understanding the need for change ) is because until such time as I can find it both economical and do-able to change the amount of rubbish I amass on a DAILY basis, until such time that I can buy 'stuff' that doesn't come with an ASTRONOMICAL amount of packaging I shall do what is necessary and nothing more.

As for boasting...seriously, if I was going to boast...it certainly wouldn't be about my rubbish! You really need to understand the word boast...

As for being impressed by my opinion... you don't have to be...no-one does... after all it is just an opinion...nothing more. It isn't hurting anyone...

xxxx

Fact is you have WAY more reason to be concerned with the future of our planet then you do terrorism.. I know the UK has a long history with terrorist acts.. WAAAY before 9/11 but did you also Know that the world looks to England as benchmarks on how to deal with terrorists? Time and time again you guys foil terrorist plots.. your strength as a country and your ability to carry on in the face of danger astounds the rest of us!! when the **** hits the fan the UK can be counted on...The terror experts and the rescue teams are BY FAR the best in the world..BRAVO UK!!
That Said!!
Perhaps if the evening news focused a wee bit more on actual facts of global warming and carbon emmisions as it did delivering fear to our loungerooms daily about things that might or might not happen, then perhaps we would all be a little bit more worried about the future of our planet! why is the health of our planet treated with such a foo foo attitude?? "because it wont happen overnight... but it will happen"
Ignorance and the refusal to do our part is IMO an act of terrorism on the planet! seems you treat the planet with disdain rather then respect.. Maybe i am wrong.. its been known to happen..:rolleyes:

If we the "little people" speak up and do our part the conglomerates will have no option but to follow suit.. The children we raise will one day lead the world.. and THAT is when the change will happen.. Its OUR TIME to raise awareness in our children! We may see no difference but we will leave our footprint on the arse's of big business by raising a generation who KNOW BETTER!!

Repeatedly sucking the goodness from a planet is murder in my eyes.. and its a slow slow death!
I still respect your passion i just disagree with it.. and wish you could swap sides so we could have you on our team.. we need more people like you!

The fact of the matter is.. you seem so worked up and negative about what you WONT do ..when its so easy to do it in the first place.. turning off lights.. thinking before you chuck something away.. its all just so easy.. No one has to ditch their shavers and let all their hairs hang out to be conscience of the environment!
**** plant a tree or a bush and you have basically done something that will have an effect tommorow!

I must abmit I was totally annoyed by the whole wheelie bin thing back home. We too did our best to recycle as much stuff as possible but managed to fill up both our recycling bins and normal bins and one day we actually had rubbish taken out of our bin and left by the side as the bin was "too full"!!

Living over here in Canada is a different matter however and we seem to be getting on much better. We have recycling bins for cardboard and plastic milk bottle containers at local supermarkets much like you do back home but having a large unconverted basment we are able to store a lot of cardboard and then do a big run to the recyling.

All bottles and cans have a deposit charge on them when you buy and you can save them up and take them to the bottle depots and get your money back. It is a great system (I think) you don't notice the deposit on your grocery bill that much and if you get the kids to help with the recycling they can keep the money from the bottle depot!

We also have to PAY to dump rubbish at the tip! when you go in they weigh your vehicle and then they weigh it again on the way out and you pay the difference in the weight. It is not a huge amount of money but I am sure that it make people think about dumping stuff. Loads of people over here have garage and yard sales to get rif of their unwanted stuff instead of taking it to the tip!

Fact is you have WAY more reason to be concerned with the future of our planet then you do terrorism.. I know the UK has a long history with terrorist acts.. WAAAY before 9/11 but did you also Know that the world looks to England as benchmarks on how to deal with terrorists? Time and time again you guys foil terrorist plots.. your strength as a country and your ability to carry on in the face of danger astounds the rest of us!! when the **** hits the fan the UK can be counted on...The terror experts and the rescue teams are BY FAR the best in the world..BRAVO UK!!
That Said!!
Perhaps if the evening news focused a wee bit more on actual facts of global warming and carbon emmisions as it did delivering fear to our loungerooms daily about things that might or might not happen, then perhaps we would all be a little bit more worried about the future of our planet! why is the health of our planet treated with such a foo foo attitude?? "because it wont happen overnight... but it will happen"
Ignorance and the refusal to do our part is IMO an act of terrorism on the planet! seems you treat the planet with disdain rather then respect.. Maybe i am wrong.. its been known to happen..:rolleyes:

If we the "little people" speak up and do our part the conglomerates will have no option but to follow suit.. The children we raise will one day lead the world.. and THAT is when the change will happen.. Its OUR TIME to raise awareness in our children! We may see no difference but we will leave our footprint on the arse's of big business by raising a generation who KNOW BETTER!!

Repeatedly sucking the goodness from a planet is murder in my eyes.. and its a slow slow death!
I still respect your passion i just disagree with it.. and wish you could swap sides so we could have you on our team.. we need more people like you!

The fact of the matter is.. you seem so worked up and negative about what you WONT do ..when its so easy to do it in the first place.. turning off lights.. thinking before you chuck something away.. its all just so easy.. No one has to ditch their shavers and let all their hairs hang out to be conscience of the environment!
**** plant a tree or a bush and you have basically done something that will have an effect tommorow!

Thank you.
For once someone seems to have actually listened maybe a little to what I was actually trying to say. Sometimes it is hard to get an opinion across in the right way for others to understand where you are coming from.
I was perhaps a little rash in saying I don't care...I obviously do or I wouldn't get so worked up about it...which ever side of the fence I sit on.
I still am more concerned about terrorism and the like because it is a sad fact that it is happening..and it is affecting my family in the Now... every time I go on a plane I have an insecurity ( other than it crashing of course ) that I didn't have 20 years ago say.
For my future family...of course I am concerned. I do respect my planet/world/environment....very much so. But I want answers...I want somebody to actually convince me to change. I do the odd thing or two...like I have mentioned, I don't leave stuff on stand-by...I won't waste water. Little bits, maybe they help maybe they don't. But at the end of the day...it all seems hypocritical for some fat-bottomed politician...for some conglomerate that is making billions out of the consumer to say we need to change for the good of the planet. The supermarkets all get on the eco-bandwagon...but seriously at the end of the day they are only interested in making money...and they will do everything in their power to make us spend money with them...and if that means following some trend, something that they think the public cares about then they will do it...for the money! As for THAT CONCERT...my word...total hypocrisy.

Anyway thank you very much, I think if anyone could change my mind maybe you could :lol: I liked what you had to say and I listened...and maybe it would be worth planting a tree..or two..
but... I still want answers..it is just the way I am..

xxxx

p.s. I am still utterly fuming that someone could think I would BOAST about how much rubbish I throw away... :evil:

I think the point of this thread is to state that the majority of us do recycle.
We just don't get the support we need from our local councils.
The thread shows it can be and IS done very well in many other countries.
So lets hope that eventually it can be done here.
In my town it will probably be around the same time you can get a bus to Mars though.
For now we are doing our bit with the tins, glass, paper and card and it was certainly more than I used to do.
In fact my OH has recently accused me of going recycling mad at him and the kids.:eek::)
It is a shame the big companies aren't doing more but they are mainly thinking of profit and not the planet.

Thank you.
For once someone seems to have actually listened maybe a little to what I was actually trying to say. Sometimes it is hard to get an opinion across in the right way for others to understand where you are coming from.
I was perhaps a little rash in saying I don't care...I obviously do or I wouldn't get so worked up about it...which ever side of the fence I sit on.
I still am more concerned about terrorism and the like because it is a sad fact that it is happening..and it is affecting my family in the Now... every time I go on a plane I have an insecurity ( other than it crashing of course ) that I didn't have 20 years ago say.

Mercedes, YOU WERE RASH and that is why it's hard to listen to what you've been saying. A more thoughtful post would have encouraged a more thoughtful audience. Anyhow, obviously you and I have very different standpoints and tbh I personally don't feel affected by terrorism in my daily like. Whereas I do feel affected by climate change. Very much! And if you think about it, people being forced to have smaller bins IS an effect of climate change. And... 20 years ago this would have been unheard of, we would have had as many dustbins as we liked.

For my future family...of course I am concerned. I do respect my planet/world/environment....very much so. But I want answers...I want somebody to actually convince me to change. I do the odd thing or two...like I have mentioned, I don't leave stuff on stand-by...I won't waste water. Little bits, maybe they help maybe they don't. But at the end of the day...it all seems hypocritical for some fat-bottomed politician...for some conglomerate that is making billions out of the consumer to say we need to change for the good of the planet. The supermarkets all get on the eco-bandwagon...but seriously at the end of the day they are only interested in making money...and they will do everything in their power to make us spend money with them...and if that means following some trend, something that they think the public cares about then they will do it...for the money! As for THAT CONCERT...my word...total hypocrisy.

We have a choice where we shop. We don't have to shop in large supermarkets.

Anyway thank you very much, I think if anyone could change my mind maybe you could :lol: I liked what you had to say and I listened...and maybe it would be worth planting a tree..or two..
but... I still want answers..it is just the way I am..

There are answers out there. And if you looked for them you would find them. I don't know what is available in Spain but here in the UK there is a plethora of environment groups that you can become involved with.

xxxx

p.s. I am still utterly fuming that someone could think I would BOAST about how much rubbish I throw away... :evil:

Hmmm. One of the meanings of boast is exaggerated or objectionable speak. And it was related to your posts in general not to that particular aspect. Anyhow, I think we're quits as I too have been very offended by some of the things you have said. And concerned.

Just thought of something !

I work in an office during the day and we recycle any envelopes that we get from external mail that can be used.

These envelopes are then used as "internal envelopes" if you want to send documents to other departments etc. They work a treat and you get loads of useage out of them.

Also, each office has a tin and paper recycling bin, so everyone recylces their paper and tins in the office.

Marlise

I think the point of this thread is to state that the majority of us do recycle.
We just don't get the support we need from our local councils.
The thread shows it can be and IS done very well in many other countries.
So lets hope that eventually it can be done here.
In my town it will probably be around the same time you can get a bus to Mars though.
For now we are doing our bit with the tins, glass, paper and card and it was certainly more than I used to do.
In fact my OH has recently accused me of going recycling mad at him and the kids.:eek::)
It is a shame the big companies aren't doing more but they are mainly thinking of profit and not the planet.

Well said Judy, but can I add that when Babs started the thread she was talking about having a smaller bin for non-recycleable waste. That is why I have been harping on about reducing non-recycleable waste. And (I don't want to read the thread from start to finish again) but I don't think anyone (else) has suggested any ways to do this.

Well said Judy, but can I add that when Babs started the thread she was talking about having a smaller bin for non-recycleable waste. That is why I have been harping on about reducing non-recycleable waste. And (I don't want to read the thread from start to finish again) but I don't think anyone (else) has suggested any ways to do this.

Yes thats what I was trying to say about the large companies that provide us with the stuff that can't be recycled.:hug:
I think this will change but will be a slow process.
I've been checking a lot of containers and they are recyclable but as yet the councils don't seem to ready to do anything with them.

20 years ago this would have been unheard of, we would have had as many dustbins as we liked.

That's the whole reason the refuse collection situation is a disaster in this country, Zo Zo. 20 years ago everyone knew the landfill sites were becoming full and that there was only a finite amount of space for refuse, but nothing was done.

All this smacks of the government panicking about having nowhere to dump rubbish rather than being proactively environmentally friendly. Call me a cynic if you will.......too little too late, methinks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back