Bruised Bikini Line

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lucy-Jayne

Reaction score
Hi Geeks

I've just had a client call me from Saturday asking me whether or not one of my therapists is qualified as she's had a bikini wax and came up extremely bruised and in pain all weekend.

Yes she's qualified, and never had any complaints before, but I'm trying to work out why this may have happened.

I've spoken to the therapist and she said there was a small amount of bruising at first (which she's written on the consultation card) and had advised her to go home and put cold compresses on. Apparently the college she went to said this happens often and that's what to do.

I was under the impression (trained in waxing too) that nobody should come out bruised, and that it's a sign of poor technique.

She wasn't on any medication etc and had no contra-indications.

Are there any other factors which can cause bruising apart from poor technique? And is it always so evident straight away?

I'm wondering if I should ask the client in to take a photo for our records.

Thanks Geeks

Primarily it's poor technique but medications and certain skin conditions can cause it!

If your girl has had no other complaints then it could be the client maybe try a non strip wax on her in future that won't stick to her skin!

& just remind your staff to take their time and properly hold the skin when pulling the strip off!

xxx

Just want to second everything that PinkPotions has said really.

Bikini and Brazilian waxing is a skill and although a person has trained at college to wax, a lot of them are not that good.

Hats off to you LJ for caring about client feedback. xxx

I've got the Euroblonde non strip and for some reason the therapist wasn't using it. Before I took over the salon all they used was strip wax so had never had any complaints before.

I really don't know what to say to the client, I don't want to apologise because it might not be us and thats accepting responsibility. Apparently already told all of her local freinds too! Fan-friggin-tastic!

Use the Euroblonde. Don't let your staff dictate to you. xxx

I think the reason why she wasn't using it was because she had a client in during the week for a bikini and she said it wasn't sticking properly (can't understand for the life of me why). Even using oil it wouldn't.

Some people will always go against what they're told though won't they.

Well if she's disobeying you thats a different story as this story shows that by going against you she is damaging your business so put your foot down and tell her it's your way or the highway!

In this business there probably a thousand girls ready to take her job!

Hi LJ
How long has this particular therapist been qualified for? Like Kim lawless said you can learn bikini waxing and brazilian at college but it doesn't mean you will be good at it.
I think the biggest mistake that Salon owners make is when a therapist makes a mistake and is given the sack. I know time is precious etc etc. but if she said the wax wasn't sticking you should go in the room with her and test it.
Also if you feel your staff is not competent at a particular service, you or another therapist may have to show her a different technique.
We all have particular services that we love giving and are great at, and others that we don't like so much, different therapists are talented at different services, get one of your best waxers to show her how to do it.
Take into consideration if she was also in a rush because she had another client closely booked behind that client. Sometimes rushing can cause mistakes.
If this particular therapist is willing to learn, show her, it is different if she thinks she knows it all and doesn't need anyones help, but give her a chance and see.
About the client you don't have to apologise you can ask her to come in so you can see it, tell her to buy some arnica cream it will get rid of the bruise.

Take into consideration if she was also in a rush because she had another client closely booked behind that client. Sometimes rushing can cause mistakes.

This is not an excuse!!! Each and every client deserves a safe treatment. Just because the beautician is in a rush does that mean her next client gets butchered? I don't think so! If the timings are correct in her appointment book then she should never be that rushed!

I'm not saying sack her i'm saying she should respect her employer and use the euroblonde, If she's having a problem with it, it's up to her to arrange with her boss how to overcome it.

Hi pink potions

I wasn't saying that the client doesn't deserve a safe professional treatment, but the incident has already happened, so it is what to do now? I have worked in salons in the past where appointments are not properly timed, it is more about how much money can be made in the shortest amount of time ( I am not saying this is the case here, just what I have experienced in different work environments).

Unfortunately an employed therapist will rarely ask for help, believing that she should know everything and be skilled in all areas, but as was said b4 sometimes learning how to do something at college doesn't mean the therapist will be good at it. if you want a great salon with a great reputation,updating staff training, updated knowledge and team work is necessary, this is all part of being a success.

I've spoken to the therapist and she said there was a small amount of bruising at first (which she's written on the consultation card) and had advised her to go home and put cold compresses on.

Maybe the client hasn't told your therapist everything in regards to contra-indications. Maybe the waxing just exacerbated an existing problem. How often does the client get waxed? Is she an overly sensitive person - some people bruise extremely easily.

I would have asked the client to come straight in so you could look at it immediately and see exactly what she is talking about. One persons version of extremely bruised and another persons version could be completely different.

I would want to see for myself what she was talking about first.

Hi I think there needs to be more communication with the therapist and yourself. She sounds like she is not happy using the non-strip wax and could do with extra training or problem-solving.

I would get a model and go over bikini waxing with your therapist and see what her technique is like. It may just have been a one off occurence.

Secondly I have never bruised someone when waxing but I believe some clients may be prone. It may be a case that the client has either exaggerated or not filled her consult form out properly. From what I read (I may have got the wrong end of the stick) but she already had a small amount of bruising present. If that was the case then she should not have been waxed in this area. If this happened after the wax then more bruising could have developed later, so the client could be correct.

Out of goodwill I would offer a voucher to the client and try and ensure that this is a one off.

I have a red headed friend who has been waxed by many different therapists, and no matter where she goes, or what kind of wax they use she bruises. Badly.
(For the record I've never waxed her, and am nervous to try!)

To me, offering a voucher is almost like admitting that you're wrong.

There's not lack of communication between us, it's only when something happens that you find out these things. I don't particularly want to keep checking the bin after each client to see what's being used!!

There wasn't any bruising present to start off with. It occured as a result of the treatment. Our consult cards are very very indepth, even down to how sensitive they are etc, and we make sure that everyone goes through them throroughly to start off with.

Iit wasn't sticking properly (can't understand for the life of me why). Even using oil it wouldn't.quote]

Maybe she was using too much oil if the wax was not sticking.

I would say 'We can't think why you would have bruised but we want you to be happy. So, come back next time and the waxing is on us. We'll use a different type of wax (use the Euroblonde) and let's hope it doesn't happen again'.

You don't want this lady telling everyone that you bruised her as she'll lose you business. xxx

I would say 'We can't think why you would have bruised but we want you to be happy. So, come back next time and the waxing is on us. We'll use a different type of wax (use the Euroblonde) and let's hope it doesn't happen again'.

You don't want this lady telling everyone that you bruised her as she'll lose you business. xxx

You have a much better way of putting things! xxx

Hi Lucy

I feel you have taken things totally out of context. I have never mentioned that you keep "checking in the bin" after every bikini wax! The communication bit is that between you and the therapist and knowing she was not happy using the Euroblonde. A suggestion that you see her wax a model is just so you can back her up in the future.

Giving her a voucher/free treatment does not admit you were wrong although there is obviously a client who feels that her treatment was not as it should have been!

Hi Geeks

I've just had a client call me from Saturday asking me whether or not one of my therapists is qualified as she's had a bikini wax and came up extremely bruised and in pain all weekend.

Yes she's qualified, and never had any complaints before, but I'm trying to work out why this may have happened.

I've spoken to the therapist and she said there was a small amount of bruising at first (which she's written on the consultation card) and had advised her to go home and put cold compresses on. Apparently the college she went to said this happens often and that's what to do.

I was under the impression (trained in waxing too) that nobody should come out bruised, and that it's a sign of poor technique.

She wasn't on any medication etc and had no contra-indications.

Are there any other factors which can cause bruising apart from poor technique? And is it always so evident straight away?

I'm wondering if I should ask the client in to take a photo for our records.

Thanks Geeks

If I was in your position I would ask the client to come in asap so that you can have a look and then assess the bruising. If it is as bad as she says then I would offer her the next bikini wax free of charge.

I think its really good that the client has informed you of this as I get so many clients come to me that complain about bruising from previous therapists and they NEVER phone the salon to advise them instead tell everyone else about it and possibly give the salon a bad name. I always ask my clients at their first appointment to phone me if there is ever a problem so if needs be I can rectify it.

Just to clarify does the therapist like the new wax you have introduced ? This could well be the problem if her technique is not very good. If the therapist/s don't like it then I would consider reverting back to the strip wax. When I used to work they replaced phd with clean + easy and I didn't get on with it that well and I had LOADS of problems with bikini waxing yet I never have any issues with the tube system.

Hi Lucy

I feel you have taken things totally out of context. I have never mentioned that you keep "checking in the bin" after every bikini wax! The communication bit is that between you and the therapist and knowing she was not happy using the Euroblonde. A suggestion that you see her wax a model is just so you can back her up in the future.

Giving her a voucher/free treatment does not admit you were wrong although there is obviously a client who feels that her treatment was not as it should have been!

Sorry Essentia - must have read it wrong. It is funny how sometimes you can assume things are going well, and others can make you believe things are going well.

Thanks Bombini - I'm booking up with Kim for all of my therapists cos I think everyone should be waxing to the same standard. I guess some people find it hard adapting to change.

Latest posts

Back