Can ONE company's product be better than all others?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Phew !! Just read that lot all in one go.....im gasping for air now!

There is no one brand that is the "BEST" IMO, however when I looked at different brands, I took the following things into consideration:
1. How long has the product been on the market
2. What sort of testing, product development goes into the product
3. Customer service. If you have a problem/concern, does the company get back to you and totally stand behind the product they have sold you.
These are just a few examples regardless of which brand you use. I use two different brands and I think both are top-notch but I know there are others on the market that are equally as good.

My cats won't eat whiskas either!

all i can say is OMG!!!!!!!
well actually i am going to say something else....... YES there are **** products out there (for instance the ones you buy in a home kit down the high street......ermmm the cheapest brand in the wholesalers......and what about the stuff the NSS use....they are all products at the end of the day)!!! And i for one will not be using them as i am having enough problems getting to grips with what i use at the moment....but i am confident that with persistence and more training i will eventually be a damn good tech (that uses a high end product)

Phew, just read all that! Heinz, Whiskas and CND what a combination! :lol:

I am a great believer of what works for you works! In my instance, I have found I have had lasting quality with CND there is no denying it, and I have used a few different products beforehand and still do for colours etc.

Why does everyone jump on Gigi and put words in her mouth when she posts? God knows, I just know that she is a wonderful educator and regardless of product used, will help on here. Which leads me to this, why is CND so highly rated, not only the product but and here is the crunch.............THE EDUCATION!

I have had education second to none with this product, so here is the difference and this is what makes the product in my opinion second to none.

Yes I still use other products for different things, but my education is paramount at the moment and this company has not only shown me where I want to go but is helping me along the way. That is priceless, not a lot of other companies show their commitment in this way.

That is my tuppenceworth. :)

Last edited:
lol when i read the tread i was gonna leave my opinion but after reading most of the posts im now scared to lol..... altho i do agree that cadburys is the best chocolate by far

The truth is that if you gave Gigi some Rio products she'll most probably be able to make a nail beautifully with it, but I doubt it very much that even she can make it last though.

Care to challenge Gigi...??? Cos it might prove your point.... :lol::lol:

The truth is that if you gave Gigi some Rio products she'll most probably be able to make a nail beautifully with it, but I doubt it very much that even she can make it last though.

Care to challenge Gigi...??? Cos it might prove your point.... :lol::lol:

What would the criteria be? One hand rio, other 'brand name'? For how long? A month? 2? etc...

Would be interesting
BUT then..... one hand is rouger than the other, as we all know... so how does that factor in?

What would the criteria be? One hand rio, other 'brand name'? For how long? A month? 2? etc...

Would be interesting
BUT then..... one hand is rouger than the other, as we all know... so how does that factor in?

Oh My dear Victoria...

I was only joking.... :hug:

Can this be possible? I've used a lot of products and have chosen what works for me (Young Nails!) after years of testing and trying out. I've been in so many conversations where nail techs will say their product is just flat out better than any other company's product.

Imagine what that claim would mean - one company out of every single nail product manufacturer out there. I mean, none of you would claim that, right? It's a matter of opinion as to what company's products you consider to be above par. And opinions are neither right nor wrong.

Just curious if you've encountered comments like that?

PS - Hi, my name is Ariella and I'm extremely enthused about doing nails, the industry and to constantly learn.

By Ariella's own admission, she has used other products and has moved onto the Young Nails b/c that works for her. So there are obviously products out there people move on from.

"It's a matter of opinion as to what company's products you consider to be above par." If this is what you believe Ariella then why post the post and argue with those who disagree?

Gigi has stated there are elite products (that's an S... plural)... out there, and not one single person has posted YES, ONE company and ONE company alone has the BEST product.

:green: So we have our answer :green:

Well having been initially trained on CND and used it exclusively for two years, I thought it was unequivocally the best, then I tried something different (EZ Flow) for grins and I love it, my clients loved it and it does very very well for me. EZ flow is now my "go to". I will agree with GiGi that more often than not nailtechs have not been trained properly with one product brand therefore they don't see the results that they would like to see, get frustrated and move on to something else. But ultimately to be a great nail tech you have to be willing to learn new things, try new products, educate yourself about your clientele and what works for them and you. If you want to marry yourself to one product that's your own preference, but just because you don't use a product that other's deem as "The Best" it doesn't make your work any less significant at initial application or months down the line. If it works for you and your clients who are ultimately the most important aspect of your job, then that is what makes the product the best. I will say that if you go cheap expecting a high-end result, prepare to be disappointed! Just saying.....lol.

Oh My dear Victoria...

I was only joking.... :hug:

You took me seriously? LOL
it would be impossible.... too many variables could bias the 'study'.
As we well know, only a blind study with very many many models (let's say 100? minimum?) And even then.... people's jobs, and lifestyles and health (things that factor into nail health, which ultimately affects the enhancements) could make such a mess of things... we'd likely still have people from either side crying 'fixed' if the results weren't to their liking.
So no, I wouldn't subject Gigi to that sort of insane nightmare.

Proof is in the pudding. If it works great for someone, GREAT.
And the fact that we all, at one point or another, tried "inferior" products and found them to be so AND THEN moved on.... proves that inferior products do indeed exist.

Ok, I'll shut up now:lol:

Ps: I prefer Heinz, Coffecrisp, Tim Horton's Coffee, Melaleuca Mela Power detergent and do not dare to presume you can switch my Avon Color Protection hair conditioner (do note: not exactly salon brand, but works better than those I've tried, so no, I'm not a brand snob) because I WILL bust you in the chops :smack:when I can't get a comb through my hair:!::lol:

There are only 3 or 4 acrylic factories that I'm aware of and a similar number (in some case the same factories) that make uv gel. Most manufacturers buy from these.

Now while it make be possible that the big companies have special formula's, I find it hard to believe that all do. The cost of doing this, plus the testing and field trials would be too high except for the very largest nail product manufacturers.

Therefore while there may be a few exceptions, I imagine that much of the product out there is most likely bought direct from the factories as their standard product.

If you talk to the top nail techs, they will tell you there are subtle differences. Some of the best nail artists will actually use a variety of products depending on the job. Iryna uses acrylic and gel products from six different manufacturers for her nail art and two different manufacturers products for her salon work.

At the highest level these differences can be noticed and allow the nail tech to produce superior nail finish or create an especially intricate nail art design. But, personally I think much of this "we're better than you" is marketing hype and simply ignores the fact that with good education to understand the material, practise and commitment to develop their skills - any nail tech can use any product and make very high quality nails!

Remember, products have evolved enormously the last 20 years.

It's rather like my kids saying they want carbon fibre tennis rackets to improve their game. I tell them people were winning Wimbledon with wooden rackets 40 years ago and that it's practise and technique that makes perfect, the tools add maybe 10%.

In the future, Iryna and I may very well introduce our own nail brand - but this I promise you - we will never say it's the best. It's simply not possible for any manufacturer to produce the "best" product for all nail techs to use without crossover training or for all situations.

Manufacturers and suppliers who claim best products are simply confusing inexperienced nail techs. What they really should be doing is looking at what they offer the nail techs in terms of further education and encouraging them to develop their skills.

For example, almost none of the nail manufacturers today offer formal and rigorous nail art education - and some don't even have full time employee educators or an education structure that allows the nail tech to develop their acrylic and gel skills to master level. With regards to nail art, visit the great nail schools in Russia and Ukraine and then you will see formal classes where techniques are properly taught in a structured way - not a one day decoration course that only shows how to mix a few glitters and apply rhinestones... But these are independent schools who use product x or y, the educators are not employees of the manufacturer.

If a nail tech is struggling to get reliable results from their material, the first course of action is to speak to their supplier and get advice - assuming they already did the essential cross over training. Suppliers are paid to help you and good suppliers will appreciate your questions - after all they don't want to lose customers.

Sorry for the long post.

Last edited:
Of course I dont agree with everything that Bob mentions but at least he is giving insight to how most generic companies obtain product.

I have to say I laughed mao! This thread is ridiculous like all like it. I am repeating myself across threads but it seems to be a message I like to give.
Nails are a journey - its your journey. If you want you can go all the way, if you dont that;s fine. Along my journey I was fortunate to work with many mentors and industry figures who pushed me further and made me challenge myself. I learnt more and became better - I wanted and NEEDED more from my products.................... I moved on.
All good technicians can use any product - good technicians know that each product needs an understanding of its own particular working and once learnt can produce fantastic nails. (unfortunetly these fantastic nails will probably not last)
Can any company call themselves the Best? IMHO yes as best is not just the product, it is the training you get, the back up, the after sales commitment. In my journey I didnt start that way, I worked my way up and am delighted to have done so.

I also wanna say a big hello to Geeg who no matter how rude people are on here will come back and HELP us time after time.
(and I def mean rude as some people would never say to faces what they type!)

people... seriously.

As an industry passionate we always are. Less so for polite.

Yes, there are low quality, average and above average product formulations. To say that there isn't is to not really understand product development and manufacturing at all. Yes, there are very few manufacturers and even fewer developers. Yes, that means a lot of the products on the market are developed and manufactured by the same people the develop and manufacturer their competitors products. That doesn't make them pants, but it would indicate that there is an average on the bell curve wouldn't it? Further investments into R&D which produces patents and such would clearly put something above that average wouldn't it?

Then there is the capability of the professional.

If the professional is of low calibre, then a low quality product will seem about as good as a high quality product whereas a high calibre professional will not be able to achieve satisfaction from anything below an above average quality system. That is because their definition of quality is different (not better or worse... just different).

Since using cars as an analogy seems dangerous on this thread, ill pick up on the tennis racket one used above as I thought that was rather good :)

Someone who sucks at tennis (i.e. me) wouldn't really improve their game much using a new fangled fibre titanium racket over a good old traditional wooden racket. A real pro could take a wooden racket and cream the pants off most average players, however you won't see any pro using anything but the latest and greatest racket walking into Wimbledon not because a wooden racket seems pants, but rather because they don't want technological limitations impeding on their personal performance.

This isn't to say that if you use a wooden racket that you suck at tennis. Nor is it to say that wooden rackets in general suck. What I mean is that 'The best' is when you are working comfortable, with the desired outcomes using what you are using. When you stop getting the desired outcomes with your chosen system, then look around for what will. That way you will once again have 'the best'!

Are there 'technologically better systems?. Of course there are. But technologically better doesn't always make it 'the best'. The best comes from a good marriage of technology, education and technique.

The best comes from a good marriage of technology, education and technique.

At last! The voice of reason!

The best comes from a good marriage of technology, education and technique.

At last! The voice of reason!

But alas will anyone listen??:rolleyes:
BTW I PREFER Supernoodles but if I've not got any Asda 9p ones can be used as a temporary stand in :)

Ive never liked tennis since they stopped playing with wood

There are those that will follow your side and those (who may not want to admit) who will follow Martin Duffy's and my opinions.

Pardon my ignorance, who is Martin Duffy? Perhaps some insight into who "you" are would help people appreciate what you have to offer (other than an opinion).

Welcome to the site, in a short period of time you have drawn quite some attention to yourself, can you clarify, i'm curious do you have some pictures or a history to help me (or anyone else) know where you are coming from?

Last edited:
Not sure where the 'side' thing comes into it & I certainly have no intention of being part of anyone's side... I simply responded to Geeg's post as I had read it & explained why I had read it that way & she explained what she had actually meant to say. As far as I can see that's simply disagreement, I'm assuming (again!) that some have read malice in what I had to say, but there was none there, simply I disagreed with the point I felt was being made.

Latest posts

Back