Cancellation of appointments - a clients perspective (I am fuming!!)

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cancellations and deposits should be dealt with ....

• according to individual clients circumstances

Votes: 87 81.3%
  • in the same manner at all times regardless of individual clients circumstances

Votes: 20 18.7%

• Total voters

Annie23

Reaction score
About 2 weeks ago I booked a beauty treatment that required a test and I happily paid a £10 deposit using my debit card over the phone. Due to unforseen circumstances I had to cancel the appointment (more than 24 hours notice) due to a family emergency that was totally unexpected. This emergency was genuine and the in gravity of the situation I am amazed I even had the time/decency to cancel with plenty of notice.

I asked if I could reschedule the test at a later date and was informed that unless I did it there and then (impossible at the time to predict) I would loose my money. I explained the situation and the therapist said she would see what she could do but seemed more concerned about her loss of income. Under the circumstances I had explained, this in my opinion was innapropriate, yes everyone needs to eat and pay bills but there is a time and place for tact and diplomacy.

As things are now much more settled I have just rung back to rearrange only to be told I have lost my deposit and I would have to pay another deposit. At this stage I was quite angry and basically said in not so polite terms that I would take my business elsewhere.

Now as professionals in this industry I would love to know your thoughts on this, so basically who is right me or the therapist? and I also would like to ask whether:

• Cancellations and deposits should be dealt with according to individual clients circumstances.
  • Cancellations and deposits should be dealt with in the same manner at all times regardless of individual clients circumstances.
anne xx

ps if one of the kind moderators would do this thread as a poll (didnt think at time of posting) would be most grateful :) :)

The former. Always. No two circumstances are the same.

In your case, you gave them good notice by the sound of it, and I am glad you stropped at their inflexible attitude. You might as well have been speaking to Carol "computer says no" Beer from Little Britain!!!
Posted via Mobile Device

wow...ok....well i tell people to give me at least 24 hours notice if cancelling or 50% is payable but to be fair i always deal with people on their own merit so i've had a couple of cancellations due to illness on the day and a couple due to other unforeseen circumstances and to be fair i think it's allowable - things happen-last minute sometimes but what i won't tolerate is people taking advantage of this fact.......i have had some who have not turned up and not even informed me so i wait and wait and call and call and NOTHING! This is not acceptable and usually i will not book them in again.....I think this therapist you were dealing with was unusually harsh although in her defense a deposit is just that a deposit and i wouldn't have been upset about losing the deposit more about her attitude toward me as an individual.........i would have probably said exactly the same as you...that i will not be returning nor recommending her to others as her attitude was uncaring etc .....these things happen and we live and learn - at the end of the day she's the one thats lost a client!
It's annoying though when we're not treated the way we treat others!

I can see both sides of the coin.

As a tech, if it's a regular client that I know well; likely she would not lose a deposit or pay a fee in such a circumstance.

However, with regards to new clients, whom I don't know from Adam, I'm sorry to say I would still charge the late cancellation fee/keep the deposit as the case may be.
Why? I've been lied to and stood up SO MANY times...

It's sad to say, but we simply can't afford to believe everyone. And the fact is, if we lose a client, we lose revenue for that time slot.
For some, they're in a salon that takes walk-in's and can sometimes fill the slot.
For myself, I work from home and by appointment only.
As such, if I get a no-show or a late cancellation, I lose money.
It's not like working in a store and you're paid for being there, whether or not any client walk in. Or work in a restaurant; at least you get your base salary if no one comes in to eat, although you lose tips. In those situations, you are paid FOR BEING THERE even if you don't work.

I feel bad for your situation, and I do understand.
But the truth is, what happens in your life has nothing to do with your therapist and shouldn't affect her life by reducing her paycheck. It's not her fault something happened in your life to cause you to cancel an appointment that could have gone to someone else.

Just this morning, a newbie was a no-show. I'm so aggravated. She couldn't even answer her phone. It's a slot I could have given to someone else (because someone else WAS waiting for a cancellation), and now I've made less money for the day.

When I was sick and had to cancel last min at the dentist last month, I paid the late cancellation fee of $75.00. Yes, that reads "Seventy-five dollars". Without arguement or question. My tummy troubles are not their problem. I paid it with a smile and the receptionist was surprised by my attitude until I explained my own job and let her know that I DID understand.

My sympathies to you. But in honesty, unless it's a regular I know very, very well and whom I know is being truthful about the situation (because some always have a story and an excuse) and for whom it's not the usual way of things... I would still keep the deposit.

PS: OOOPS just noticed the more than 24hrs. then edit my response to be that YES I would reimburse you BUT NOT after 24hrs. Sorry!!!!
Sorry:hug:

Last edited:
thanks for that, its not the money, I don't care, its the principal. I have had to cancel lots of things lately, like my trip to Olympia, my trip to Scotland, a Indian Head Massage course, my Masters with CND is on hold. Everyone has been really understanding.

I just don't appreciate this kind of unempathy (if thats a word) I told the therapist the situaution (a close relative who is terminally ill being rushed into a hospice) and they still said but look at it from my point of view. Well in the great scheme of things I couldnt give a flying fig about her point of view :mad: :mad:

anne xx

ps other things I have had to cancel are the Colour Effects day at S2 Monday just gone - I was looking forward to this for months and when I phoned S2 they said dont worry about coming at scheduled times, just come whenever you can. Unfortunately I was too exhausted and not fit to drive the 40 mile round trip, they are however going to allow me to have a demo with Kelly sometime soon. So big thanks to S2, the powerhouse of customer service :hug: :hug:

I also had to cancel my first photography club meeting

Don't get me wrong I dont resent any of these things, its just perfect examples of how life doesnt always go to plan.

Last edited:
You gave adequate notice their attitude is extremely short sighted they have potentially lost a very good client.

Hope your stress levels are calming xxxxxxxxx:hug:

if you gave more than 24 hrs you shouldnt have lost your deposit .. some places are just very single minded .. which i can understand if you have been messed about but its pretty clear you havent done that hun , :hug:
there loss xxx

I think they were unreasonable and i'm not surprised you lost it with them.
Cancellation fees are always a grey area. As they have insisted on keeping a deposit they have lost a customer and their attitude means that you will complain to other people so that could be a few more customers they have lost.
It's when people don't have the decency to call to cancel an appointment that really annoys me. If they have a genuine reason then that's fine.
I've had a few cancellations due to people having suspected swine flu. I wouldn't dream of taking a deposit from them. They couldn't help it and i'd rather they didn't come in anyway!
On my computer system a little red square comes up if a customer was a no-show last time so i can keep track of them. :)

i never charge, there is so many beauticians in my town that they will just take their business elsewhere. thankfully i dont get that mnay but i guess its just part and parcel of the industry we are in. if it is the same offenders then i nicely ask them to just ring me on the day as they seem to have a hectic lifestyle. gonna get organised some of these days and give courtesy calls 2 days before.
xx

Does she have any terms & conditions on her price lists that states you still loose your deposit if you give more than 24 hrs notice ?

Maybe you should point her in the direction of this thread !

Does she have any terms & conditions on her price lists that states you still loose your deposit if you give more than 24 hrs notice ?

Maybe you should point her in the direction of this thread !

some very interesting points here, its certainly tempting!

anne xx

Although I reserve the right to charge a cancellation fee, to date I never have. Things happen in life that we cant always predict. I am sympathetic to my clients in the circumstances you outlined above, and wouldn't dream of adding to the stress of their situation for the sake of a few quid. The only time I can envisage charging is if someone booked me with no intention of turning up.
No shows are annoying. thankfully I get very few.

What are the salons policies on cancellations ?

Bless you! Well im no professional but i have a marketing degree and an obsession with customer service and this is discusting!

Give me the phone number and i will tell the salon exactly what i think of them!!!!

You must NEVER go back as well as tell everyone you know not to go back!

I beleive they should stick with their policy.. but in certain circumstances (such as yours) rules dont apply... especially when you cancelled within 24 hrs..

Well there is my 2cents! They have lost a valued customer and a possible repeat customer for years to come... repeat for years = lots of money for them!!

There problem not yours... especially in these hard times!

Hugs sweetie.. Sending my love
Hannah
XXXXX

i think you or one of us geeks should ring them up for you and get your money back.

If you say that you were never imformed over the phone when you paid your deposit that this would hasppen if you cancelled within a certain time and you havn't signed anything your going to seek legal advice(don't really though,lol) i'm sure she'll give you it back.

She shouldn't be able to do this anyway if you havn't signed or she hasn't told you over the phone but obvs theres no way of prooving tht

xxx

So many people lie these days about 'exceptional circumstances' that the world has turned cynical!!

I think they have acted badly. No empathy at all and you clearly not only gave notice, but rang again to rebook which shows your good intent. I would take them to small claims court just on principal.

Go for it Annie .. you're no push over!:hug:

IMHO, customer service is a lost art. Personally, I would have let you test whenever it was convenient for you. For a lousey 10, she lost a customer. I don't think that's smart business sense.

And I agree with you, it's not the money...it's the principle! I hope all is well, now! :hug:

Last edited:
IMHO, customer service is a lost art. Personally, I would have let you test whenever it was convenient for you. For a lousey 10, she lost a customer. I don't think that's
smart business sense.

:hug:

Couldn't agree with you more! What do people offering a service think these days?? Actually they don't think :rolleyes:. They put their feet in their bl**dy mouths and don't give a damn about the customer!

I personally don't believe that the customer is always right and as geeg rightly pointed out, the customer excuses can range from the sublime to the rediculous. However, you gave more than 24 hours notice and you had the common courtesy to phone and cancel...... another polite characteristic sadly lacking nowadays!

For £10 I would have just moved your appointment to another date. The therapist has lost a client..... for £10 quid!

If you were one of them clients that always cancelled then I would understand.
It is annoying when people cancel, granted, BUT I think everyone should be given a chance. Things come up, that's life and if we treat clients like this then we will just end up with none! I think it's awful the way they have treated you in my opinion.
They ave lost the chance of repeat business from you as a client for the sake of a tenner!!! You definitely will not tell your friends to go there.
Have you spoken with a manager?
xxx

tbh with everything thats gone on lately I had totally forgotten about this, but the last few comments are making me think. I never got back in touch with them and kinda feel like I have missed the boat so to speak.

Regarding small claims how does it work and more importantly how much does it cost as unfortunately if I am not careful I am going to be living on bread and water soon :eek: :lol:

anne xx

Latest posts

Back