Client prefers nails doing "wrong" - would you oblige?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

'chelle

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a client who regularly has forever french l&p. The last couple of times, she has asked me to put her smile line much lower down on the nail, saying she prefers it because it makes her fingers and hands look small and dainty. Now, in my opinion, it just makes her hands look stumpy, honestly she likes the smile line not much further than half way up the nail bed. Each time she has asked for this, I have done them as she likes, she is the customer after all, however a recent conversation got me thinking. she said that she loves her nails, they always last, they rarely get any lifting etc, and so when people ask her where she got her nails done she always recommends me. Now, its lovely to know that I seem to be doing a good job, however, I know that if I saw someone with nails like that, I would ask where she got them to make sure I dont go there!! I'm worried that she might actually be deterring people and I'm reluctant to do her nails in this way again. One of my suspicions is that she likes her nails this way to save money. I remind her every time to book a rebalance every 2 weeks, she is never able to book there and then as she desnt know what her availability is (or so she says) and then she always leaves it a good 4 weeks before ringing to make another appointment, and I think she might be getting her smile line done lower so that it doesnt grow out.

She is due back next week, and wants a soak off and new set. I am considering telling her that they actually look better and give the hand a more slender appearance with the smile line in the correct position (I will have to choose my words carefully so as not to offend!) and putting a bit more gentle pressure on her to commit to a rebalance appointment there and then.

What do you think geeks, is the customer always right? should I give her what she wants, or should I be advising her as a professional and steering her in the right direction? I dont want to lose this client, but I dont want her to deter half a dozen potential clients either - please help!!!

I just don't know.
I agree that is really distressing to do nails that just aren't right but business is business and TBH I truly think most of the general public don't see them the way we do:)

I think that this is a really difficult one. As soon as she comes in next time why dont you just say that you have always done her nails in the way that she likes them but would she just for once will she allow you to try something a little different. When she sees them she will probably love them and then you can go on to explain why you have done them that way and the positive benefits of booking more often. If this does'nt work then at least you know you have tried. I know what you mean though it is difficult trying to please your client as well as knowing that they are going to be adverting your work. Its difficult to talk people out of something that they think is going to look fab when you know it could look so much better if only they listened.

maybe your client really prefers her fingers to look that way :/ or maybe she hopes her nails won't need a backfill so soon, like you suspect. But whatever the reason, I guess we still have to respect the client's decision. We can only advise them, but the choice is really theirs :)

Like Adele mentioned, sometimes clients don't see things the way a nail technician sees things - e.g. some clients of mine with beautiful long nail beds actually prefer a salon style smile line, whereas I am absolutely in love with the competition style deep smile line :)

Do you charge differently for 2wk rebalance, 3 wk rebalance and 4 wk rebalance ?
if not it is time to charge for the different ones, then you don't get so many triers as clients hth

Do you charge differently for 2wk rebalance, 3 wk rebalance and 4 wk rebalance ?
if not it is time to charge for the different ones, then you don't get so many triers as clients hth
I totally agree :green:

How about this... when she comes to you next time ask her if she'll mind you showing her how you think her nails would look a lot nicer/better, do at least one of them the way you'd like to see them and find out how she feels about having the whole set done that way... it's got to be worth a try.
Even better, take a photo of the nails the way she likes them and the way you think they should look, see what her opinion is between the two photo's, there's no denying that by having them done 'properly' her nails/hands will look much prettier.

Good Luck.

could you do her a custom blend instead ?

that way she will get the coverage so that the natural nail smile line doesnt show but you could do the whites in the proper position so that they look better.

that way she will get the coverage so that the natural nail smile line doesnt show but you could do the whites in the proper position so that they look better.

Well I never would have thought of that :idea: , you clever geeky thing you :hug:
thats a great solution and what a great idea angel fingers , x

I have students that preffer the smile line to be in the middle of their nail bed also I do not teach them that this is where is goes but that is where they like it.

I nice set of nails is a nice set of nails not always what the design is but the shape and everyone has their own prefference. A straight smile line, flared free edge, very pointed and on and on....

Just because we do not like the way they look doesnt really mean anything there paying for it its what they like I know I would not want someone to tell me how to wear mine. Try suggesting things do a demo

Maybe you can do a color fade and have it come up high in that area

Ah was thinking this but Angelfingers is there before me lol

Hi all,

I have a client who regularly has forever french l&p. The last couple of times, she has asked me to put her smile line much lower down on the nail, saying she prefers it because it makes her fingers and hands look small and dainty. Now, in my opinion, it just makes her hands look stumpy, honestly she likes the smile line not much further than half way up the nail bed. Each time she has asked for this, I have done them as she likes, she is the customer after all, however a recent conversation got me thinking. she said that she loves her nails, they always last, they rarely get any lifting etc, and so when people ask her where she got her nails done she always recommends me. Now, its lovely to know that I seem to be doing a good job, however, I know that if I saw someone with nails like that, I would ask where she got them to make sure I dont go there!! I'm worried that she might actually be deterring people and I'm reluctant to do her nails in this way again. One of my suspicions is that she likes her nails this way to save money. I remind her every time to book a rebalance every 2 weeks, she is never able to book there and then as she desnt know what her availability is (or so she says) and then she always leaves it a good 4 weeks before ringing to make another appointment, and I think she might be getting her smile line done lower so that it doesnt grow out.

She is due back next week, and wants a soak off and new set. I am considering telling her that they actually look better and give the hand a more slender appearance with the smile line in the correct position (I will have to choose my words carefully so as not to offend!) and putting a bit more gentle pressure on her to commit to a rebalance appointment there and then.

What do you think geeks, is the customer always right? should I give her what she wants, or should I be advising her as a professional and steering her in the right direction? I dont want to lose this client, but I dont want her to deter half a dozen potential clients either - please help!!!

No. I wouldn't do her nails tbh.
I once had a client very similar to this who insisted on dictating what she would have....she used to do nails she kept telling me (yawn).
She wanted a smile halfway down her nail bed and I eventually refused to do it. But I did do it for a couple of appointments hoping I could talk her around to a custom blend etc. But she would not be swayed.
I DID NOT want someone to look at my work and think I was doing things the wrong way.
I did not want to go and sit in someones home and be dictated to about how I should do my job from someone with no real training.
I lost a client, big deal.
I respected myself a hell of a lot more afterwards though:hug:

I have students that preffer the smile line to be in the middle of their nail bed also I do not teach them that this is where is goes but that is where they like it.

I nice set of nails is a nice set of nails not always what the design is but the shape and everyone has their own prefference. A straight smile line, flared free edge, very pointed and on and on....

Just because we do not like the way they look doesnt really mean anything there paying for it its what they like I know I would not want someone to tell me how to wear mine. Try suggesting things do a demo

Maybe you can do a color fade and have it come up high in that area

I agree Becca Boo. Even though I may not like what a client requests, if it's safe and hygienic, I feel it's my job to do it.

I do have a client who likes the white section almost half way up her nail too. She likes to keep her nails short, but give the 'illusion' they are longer. I think she gives the 'illusion' that her nails are fake, but it's her choice!!!

Personally, as a consumer, if I asked for my nails a way that the tech did not agree with, I would be open to hearing her opinion. But, if a tech refused to do them in a style I liked, I would not go back again. JMO.

I do feel that the client is always right, really. Without our clients, we don't have a business so we should respect that.

If I went to the hairdressers requesting a bob, say, and they wouldn't cut it to the length I wanted but insisted on doing it "their" way, I wouldn't be very happy.

What's that old saying? He who pays the piper calls the tune.

But Judy I do know where you're coming from babe :hug:

I do feel that the client is always right, really. Without our clients, we don't have a business so we should respect that.

If I went to the hairdressers requesting a bob, say, and they wouldn't cut it to the length I wanted but insisted on doing it "their" way, I wouldn't be very happy.

What's that old saying? He who pays the piper calls the tune.

But Judy I do know where you're coming from babe :hug:

Cheers mate.:hug:
I didn't mean my post to sound as if I'm being picky but I won't be told what is best for a client when I KNOW what is best and looks good.
After all...we did the training and paid to know what's best didn't we?
Just thinking about this lady gives me high blood pressure tbh:eek:
The 2nd time I did her nails I could hardly drive home because I was so cross.
So it's definately best that someone else does her nails.
The way she likes them.
Utterly awful IMHO:lol:

Hi all,

I would worry about this also, but have you had any calls from the people she has recommended.

She may have mentioned that she prefers them done that way, so the potential clients might realise that you don't always do them that way.

Also, if she is stingy, she may have told them she asks for her nails to be done that way to save money on rebalances.

I defnitely think its because she wants longer out of her nails. Sometimes every 2 weeks is just too often for some.

By the time she she gets to her 2nd and 3rd week they probably look good anyway (the white will be near enough where it should have been in the first place)

So really your doing a good job - and keeping her very happy.:lol:

I know what your saying about the way it looks to you - and couldnt agree more - its awful being forced into something that hurts to do LOL.

Im thinking that the new customers probably see her nails when they at the 3rd or 4th week stage and when she tells them they have been on for 4 wks and still look good - then thats why the new ones are coming to you.

Well done.:)

Pazzy, I completely agree with you,

I used to have my nails done by a Creative Ambassador. I can't say I had mine half way down the nail bed, but I definitely had them lower than some. they were very smily though! She insisited that after two weeks you had infills (£20) and then after 4 weeks you had a rebalance (£35). By the time I'd got to my 2nd week they started looking great and as I was getting to the 4th week they were slightly going over the natural smile line.

IMO this was a great way to do it, and was definitely a way of saving me and her other clients money. I would never have gone for paying £70 a month on my nails! This way ensures that the client is getting much more wear out of their set.

I do definitely see what you're saying but this is just my opinion. I suppose it depends on the client though - if their nails grow slowly then put them higher.

Sometimes though, if they were very close at my infill appointment I would ask for some nail art or enamel over the top.

L-J xx

I agree with Lucy. Sometimes you have to try to think from the customer's point of view. Maybe she really does like 'em that way. Maybe to save a bit of money, yes, I know, it's frustrating hun but not all people can afford paying for it every 2 weeks. I know I couldn't :(

IMO, you should not work/do anything that make you feel uncomfortable. Like Judy mentioned, she was so crossed that it's better for her not to do it. Man, I have to kudos her for that. It's not easy to turn client away, but obviously she knows it's best for both herself and the client.

I used to have a client who wouldn't let me file her free edge during a maintenance treatment!! After two weeks of wearing her nails she would only let me treat the area which needed infilling!!

It was soooooo annoying..everytime I just wanted shape them up and she used to pull her fingers away if I so much as looked at the free edge! At the end of the treatment I was always disappointed with the result, but she thought she did a better job than me at shaping her free edge (she didn't, I just think she had a phobia about me making them all the same length when she wanted to keep them really long)

Anyhow, it was a chore to do her nails and I used to think why don't you do them yourself if you think you're so good? She was another one who used to go 3 weeks between appointments.

I know how you feel..I used to bite my tongue and get on with it but I did used to wonder what other people thought when she said where she got her nails done. I was embarrassed coz it wasn't my best work and maybe put did stay away...very difficult situation but I have to say that if you don't do them the way she likes then she will just go to someone who will.

Thanks for all your advice everyone. I think I am going to treat this client to a free consultation before her next appointment and suggest a different style for her nails, explaining the benefits to keeping zone 1 in the traditional place! Some of you have asked questions and I havent quoted you all but to respond to some of you:

Unfortunately I dont know how to custom blend yet. I'm still quite new to nails and offer only a basic service (ie l&p, either natural or forever french, nothing so fancy as custom blending!) I'm currently waiting to hear back from Creative Academy to book some further training so I shall bear custom blending in mind, thanks for the tip!

As far as recommendations go, I have had only one client who has booked on the recommendation of this client, I did her nails for the first time a couple of weeks ago, and I could have been dealing with the same client!! when I had finished, she mentioned how she likes the way her friends nails look and wouldnt mind them like that next time, couldnt book a rebalance on the spot, and hey ho, 2 weeks on and no rebalance appoinment!!

Currently I do not charge more for a rebalance after 3 or 4 weeks as opposed to 2 weeks. I allow 1 repair with the cost of a rebalance and charge £1 for each additional repair, my thinking is that more repairs are needed after 2 weeks so the cost of a rebalance would be more anyway. Would you recommend charging a higher basic rate for a 4 week rebalance, plus additional costs for repairs?? I'd be grateful for some advice on this.

I do agree with what a lot of you have said, the paying customer should be able to have her nails how she likes them, but I'm just concerned because I've not been in business very long and I know how vital word of mouth can be to a new business. I know everyones different, and someone mentioned the fact that a hairdresser would cut your hair the way you want it even if they dont like it, but I know when I've been for my hair doing, if I've asked for something that the hairdresser thinks will not look right, eg wont suit my face shape, they have told me and suggested ways to modify the style so it looks good, and so I'm thinking I should follow a similar route myself.

Thanks for all your advice geeks, I'll let you know how I get on after I see this client next week :green:

Latest posts

Back