Client Trouble

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds to me like she wanted to have her nails done for a night out at the weekend but couldn't really afford to have them done and now she is saying she doesn't like them to get her money back!

Call me a cynic but I wouldn't put it past anyone!

Stand your ground hun!

Is she a regular client or was this her first time? x

This is exactly what i thought. Nails on a sat night out. spent up on night out. needs money. where does she think she can get money, oh the soft nail tech, i'll complain i've had my use of them now.

Last edited:
i was very offended by what she said and its such a downer for your confidence i was just asking nail technicians that know what there looking at that was all everyone else gave such great positive feed back just felt like a stab in the back obviously everyones oppinions are welcome and you hear thing that you dont wanna but i just felt it was a bit rude

and the pic isn't great makes it look like they need infills but i dont think they do its just the light on the nail

i was very offended by what she said and its such a downer for your confidence i was just asking nail technicians that know what there looking at that was all everyone else gave such great positive feed back just felt like a stab in the back obviously everyones oppinions are welcome and you hear thing that you dont wanna but i just felt it was a bit rude

I know its a downer hun,nails are so hard to master,but we learn by our mistakes and by others comments both good and bad.Seriously it's what helps us improve all the time.Try not to be offended,it's hard I know but think of it like this, it could be coming from a client and it has,so as a professional we need to be able to deal with these sorts of comments(no matter how much it offends us and hurts us)it's going to happen again and again in the early stages of your career.It will get less and less as you improve,but dont let it get you down,just work at improving yourself and try not to take it too personally:Love:

thanks babs i'll try not to take it to heart sorry if i've been harsh just hard to take comments like that

thanks babs i'll try not to take it to heart sorry if i've been harsh just hard to take comments like that
I know cherub,we have all been there believe me.It makes us stronger though at the end of the day.Helps us to strive for that better set all the time.Im a perfectionist and still trying to improve in everything I do.xx

I am actually quite cross about this as I clearly said I did not want to offend you and I thought my post was quite softly, softly tbh. I posted to give you my opinion and help on a problem with a client.

Please could you point out the exact words I used that were rude ??

As Babs said above I am qualified in nails I just choose not to continue with them as I am a perfectionist and I didn't have the time to devote to a perfect set of nails. This does not mean that I can't comment on the picture, I may not be able to give technical advice but I can certainly see why the client was concerned. Again from a consumer point of view, because I do not agree with your point of view does this mean I am in the wrong ?

I have several clients that have nail enhancements, one of them is an exnail biter and all of their nails are beautiful this is why I could see your clients point of view.

Why don't you post your picture in the nail critque section if you would like nail technicians to give constructive advice.

There is plenty more I could say on this but I really think I would be classed as rude then.

OK

Firstly I really don't hope I offend you but I would not be happy with those nails. From the pic they do look quite far up the nail and some of the nails don't look the same shape as the others. I am not a nail technician this is purely my point of view from just looking at the photo and yes I to would probably want a refund.

I think that the client has probably gone about it the wrong way by threatening trading standards from the beginning.

The bottom line is she is not happy with the nails. If I was in your position I would have requested that you meet with her again to see the nails and she could then have pointed out the problems she had and then an arrangement could of been whether it be a refund, new set etc. If she isn't happy with them or the customer service she has received then she will tell everyone.

I know she hasn't responded to you but I would try calling or texting her to get this sorted out.

im confused you say your not here :S

im confused you say your not here :S

Juliette is trained but doesn't do nails therefore doesn't call herself a nail technician.HTH

Juliette is trained but doesn't do nails therefore doesn't call herself a nail technician.HTH

Couldn't have put it better myself lol

I only do natural nails plus other beauty treatments.

I found this post riveting to begin with, I am sure we have all had one of these ladies in whatever line of work we do, the whole spewing of trading standards jargon really made me laugh, and feel for you, J555_SXY, to be having this kind of issue with such an obnoxious woman.

However, we then went through the whole humming and hawing over text or phone. You must phone every time, the fact the woman did not pick up is regardless. If you are confident in the service you have provided you should be able to vocalise this.

Then, the picture was posted. You got a lot of nice 'ohh they're fine' which you were happy with but then someone dared to comment that in their opinion the nails were not up to scratch and the whole thread changed.

You started this thread for advice about this woman, you posted the picture not for advice, obviously, but for reassurance that they were nice. This didn't happen and now this thread appears to have deviated into knocking bombini in an attempt to build up your ego. Stop this thread, take what you have learnt, be glad that you won't have to deal with that client again, personally I doubt you will hear from her again, but in this work, you have to be able to take criticism. It is what will make you a stronger nail tech!

She did not insult you, she critiqued you, and she was well within her rights, whether or not she is a damned nail technician! Are you saying if you saw someone who had a dreadful tiling job in their bathroom you wouldn't be able to say it wasn't good because you weren't a pro in that field? ( random example I know)

Be philosophical about it, but don't let it make you insecure or doubt yourself!

Apologies for prolonged rant but this was getting painful to watch!

All the best, and don't take it to heart!

Louisa x

I found this post riveting to begin with, I am sure we have all had one of these ladies in whatever line of work we do, the whole spewing of trading standards jargon really made me laugh, and feel for you, J555_SXY, to be having this kind of issue with such an obnoxious woman.

However, we then went through the whole humming and hawing over text or phone. You must phone every time, the fact the woman did not pick up is regardless. If you are confident in the service you have provided you should be able to vocalise this.

Then, the picture was posted. You got a lot of nice 'ohh they're fine' which you were happy with but then someone dared to comment that in their opinion the nails were not up to scratch and the whole thread changed.

You started this thread for advice about this woman, you posted the picture not for advice, obviously, but for reassurance that they were nice. This didn't happen and now this thread appears to have deviated into knocking bombini in an attempt to build up your ego. Stop this thread, take what you have learnt, be glad that you won't have to deal with that client again, personally I doubt you will hear from her again, but in this work, you have to be able to take criticism. It is what will make you a stronger nail tech!

She did not insult you, she critiqued you, and she was well within her rights, whether or not she is a damned nail technician! Are you saying if you saw someone who had a dreadful tiling job in their bathroom you wouldn't be able to say it wasn't good because you weren't a pro in that field? ( random example I know)

Be philosophical about it, but don't let it make you insecure or doubt yourself!

Apologies for prolonged rant but this was getting painful to watch!

All the best, and don't take it to heart!

Louisa x

Got to say, i agree, i have followed this thread over the last few days, and its turned so quickly after a politely-put negative piece of feedback. Im new to nails myself, about to complete my NVQ level 2 x And when i saw your pics, although they are really nice and your smiles are better than mine (lol) i noticed the same little problems i still have, ie;bumps in acrylic. and not getting close enough to the cuticle xxx

Your pic motivated me to sort my nail snaps out, and get a better camera so that i could have these very talented, respected proffessionals look at my work and give me feedback....both positive and negative...because i think that is the best way to learn xxx

While its in my head....i cant go back now and check to see if you have posted this....but how much did you charge for these nails? Just curious x

Take care xxxx Hope you get it sorted xxxx

This experience is going to make you a much better nail tech. The picture is not the best I would agree , but I would also agree that the clients approach was not the best either. If you are newly trained it is always a good idea to have reduced rates , when i trained i was told not to consider myself a nail tech until i had completed 30 sets of nails !!!.and I think I charged £8 but it gave me confidence and experience something you cant buy (ten years ago ) !!!! Was it £25 you charged ? You see the more a client pays the higher the expectation . I suppose it depends on your location but this is quite near salon prices for an experienced tech in some areas . The plus side is you have had feedback , Its always better that the client contacts if not happy to give an opportunity to rectify , although the trading standard malarchy does annoy and just gets you on the defensive . good luck and keep on working

i am sorry to bombini for what i said in the heat of the moment i was just very angry and am feeling very down about all this my confidence is so low now i feel like giving it all up my apologies again to any non nail technician i may have offended.

thanks to everyone for all the great advice.

i am sorry to bombini for what i said in the heat of the moment i was just very angry and am feeling very down about all this my confidence is so low now i feel like giving it all up my apologies again to any non nail technician i may have offended.

If we all gave up at the first hurdle Hun there wouldn't be any nail techs in the world, it's clear from this thread that each and every one if us has had a knock or two along the way! The difference is the ones that have learnt the most and improved have taken the knock, sucked it up and dealt with it and then most importantly moved on!
You obviously have a skill and care alot about your work, this is a great foundation, is now time to build on that, take this experience as a lesson, it's exactly that! You'll be fine, just keep plugging away xx

thanks lu-b-lu x

This experience is going to make you a much better nail tech. The picture is not the best I would agree , but I would also agree that the clients approach was not the best either. If you are newly trained it is always a good idea to have reduced rates , when i trained i was told not to consider myself a nail tech until i had completed 30 sets of nails !!!.and I think I charged £8 but it gave me confidence and experience something you cant buy (ten years ago ) !!!! Was it £25 you charged ? You see the more a client pays the higher the expectation . I suppose it depends on your location but this is quite near salon prices for an experienced tech in some areas . The plus side is you have had feedback , Its always better that the client contacts if not happy to give an opportunity to rectify , although the trading standard malarchy does annoy and just gets you on the defensive . good luck and keep on working

I agree with Elleeboo,but there is one thing I would like to say and ask. I am currently at college doing a 17 week evening course in Nail Tech. As I said for what my opinion was worth I thought the nails looked lovely and at the level and stage i'm at, i'd love to be up to that level. My nails are nowhere near up to that standard and I can't wait for the day when the sets I do are up to an extremely high standard.

What I was going to ask Elleeboo because I do get confused here a bit because so many people (not on here) have said so many different things about charging. For eg where I live my main competitors are charging £32, £35 and £37.50 for a set of silk nail extensions. I used to pay £40 at the salon I went to until it closed down and then the girl who did them at the salon began to work from home and charged me £30 a set but has now just put her price up to £32. I was told obviously that when I first qualify It wouldn't be right to charge say £30 a set but to charge say £25 a set. I at first thought that even £25 was expensive for someone who had only just qualified but my tutors at college told me if you go in too low, say £15, people will think, hang on a minute, why is she charging so cheap, there must be something wrong there and also if you do go in too low, it will take years to get your prices to an equivalent level as clients, especially now, do not like to see price hikes.

Sorry if i've rambled, but where do you begin when you first start out?

Hey dont give up,none of us would want you to do that and Juliette is a forgiving person and wont bare any grudges.I think its commendable of you to aplogise on here.
All of us have been where you are now,those nails could be turned around,they are not that bad at all and you are still at a learning stage.Like I said before use it to help you improve,that's what this business is all about.:hug:

yeah i just need to keep practising till perfection cause i love doing nails and i love nail art i really wanna be the best i can be an i know its healthy to get good and bad comments just took it the wrong way in the heat of the moment.

i do agree about going to low with prices those cause otherwise you just dont get the client base and it will take you ages to get your prices up in my opinion.

NEVER EVER GIVE UP J555_SXY. I am like you and i'm a perfectionist and I expect everything to be perfect, which in the past has made me very ill if i'm going to be totally honest with you.

It is lovely to be so conscientious and want to be the best but when it starts to hurt and worry you, that is when you need to take a step back and say, you know what, i've done my best, ok, so someone else doesn't think my best is good enough, but that is their opinion and i'll take on board what they have said and i'll try/do it that way next time and it's through that feedback, you will become better.

At the moment my college tutor is having a nightmare with me cos i'm trying to run before I can walk and she has to keep putting the reigns on me. I too want my nails to be perfect which obviously they are not and I keep emailing her pics of the sets of nails i've done and she then says you did this wrong, you did that wrong, blah, blah, blah. Of course I want her to say to me, Lou they are perfect, lol, but I know they aren't. However, I have put 110% into doing them and as long as I keep putting that 110 % into doing them, one day I will get there.

I am going to post some of my pics of my nails in a separate thread i've done because the feedback I will get from you all will help me to see points/issues which I am probably not even aware of and J555_SXY you will be able to see just how advanced you are compared to me hun, so that should give you a big confidence booster. Like I said, I liked your nails and wish my nails were up to your level. x

I recognise a lot of what J555_SXY has said about the way she handled the situation with the client. I too would have felt nervous and when this situation happens to me, I will probably feel the same way. However, after reading this thread, I have learnt that the best way to deal with people like that particular client is to phone them and i'm sure J555_SXY will do the same in future now.

Latest posts

Back