Cold weather & its effects on L&P

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dids

Reaction score
Now the weather has become cold can someone please tell me what to expect from my L&P. Done a set of glitter tips today and everything seemed to be really wet and took ages to set. I'm sure my mix ratio was okay. Is this because the monomer was cold. Still very new to L&P, and I really struggled. Could I please have some advise from you more experienced geeks. By the way i'm using retention+.

Hi dids,

My experience with L&P and Retention + is that your mix ratio needs to be a bit more dry whereas in hot weather abit more wet. Today I had to work quite dry with my glitter powder and it was fine, it comes with practise my love, you'll see!!

xxxx

Moxie is supposed to be ideal for the colder weather.

Rose143 said:
Hi dids,

My experience with L&P and Retention + is that your mix ratio needs to be a bit more dry whereas in hot weather abit more wet. Today I had to work quite dry with my glitter powder and it was fine, it comes with practise my love, you'll see!!

xxxx
:) thanks Rose, got there in the end with it and the nails looked ok but it was hard going. I'll be better prepared next time.

Urban Geek said:
Moxie is supposed to be ideal for the colder weather.
Might try this when i'm more experienced, but i'm too slow at the moment. that at least was the good thing today as I was able to play with my smile lines without them setting half done LOL:biggrin:

dids said:
Might try this when i'm more experienced, but i'm too slow at the moment. that at least was the good thing today as I was able to play with my smile lines without them setting half done LOL:biggrin:

There you go, bad thing was not such a bad thing after all, there's always good in something that goes wrong :)

xxxx

I spoke to a wonderful educator yesterday and she says that Retention+ works fabulously when it is cold and that if she could she would keep hers in the fridge. I gues it takes a bit of getting used to, but does it make it easier to 'play' with?

rjryan said:
I spoke to a wonderful educator yesterday and she says that Retention+ works fabulously when it is cold and that if she could she would keep hers in the fridge. I gues it takes a bit of getting used to, but does it make it easier to 'play' with?
Yeh it made the smile lines easier but zone 3 was much more awkward as it seemed to run into cuticle, but did get easier on the second hand as I made the mix drier. This did surprise me as I hadn't realised the temp would affect it so much

I was having problems last week with my raio with retention, but i wiped my brush an extra two times on the dappen dish and it seemed a lot better. I was thinking of trying moxie too to see if it was better to work with.

dids said:
Now the weather has become cold can someone please tell me what to expect from my L&P. Done a set of glitter tips today and everything seemed to be really wet and took ages to set. I'm sure my mix ratio was okay. Is this because the monomer was cold. Still very new to L&P, and I really struggled. Could I please have some advise from you more experienced geeks. By the way i'm using retention+.

I had a nightmare set of nails on saturday - took forever to set. Thought i was losing the plot as i'd put the heating on beforehand so thought it couldn't be that it was cold. Turned out i'd managed to turn the radiator off instead of on - me and anything technical are not a match made in heaven.

dids said:
Yeh it made the smile lines easier but zone 3 was much more awkward as it seemed to run into cuticle, but did get easier on the second hand as I made the mix drier. This did surprise me as I hadn't realised the temp would affect it so much

Temperature affects ANY chemical reaction. Heat speeds it up and COLD slows it down.

One of the wonderful things about Retention+ is that the cold does not cause the bead to 'crystallize' (incomplete polymerization) and polymerization WILL take place even if it is a bit slower.

Hope this doesnt seem a daft question but, I have a Moxie kit sitting in the cupboard, think I might get it out for a play this weekend.
Will I need to use a separate brush from the one I use for my Retention+ ?

Creative advice is that you should .... sorry if that is not what you want to hear!! By the way here is a X .. not chatted for ages!

OPI have a monomer heater that your dappen dish sits in, check it out, also this may sound a bit odd, but when it's really cold, i sit with the monomer bottle between my legs, it takes the chill off, i do this whenever i compete as usually the room is so big it's bloody cold, at first the judges were quite dubious, but when i explained what i was doing and why, it made perfect sense to them, now heaps of girls here do it

nailzoo said:
OPI have a monomer heater that your dappen dish sits in, check it out, also this may sound a bit odd, but when it's really cold, i sit with the monomer bottle between my legs, it takes the chill off, i do this whenever i compete as usually the room is so big it's bloody cold, at first the judges were quite dubious, but when i explained what i was doing and why, it made perfect sense to them, now heaps of girls here do it

That's what I do too.....but only if I'm wearing trousers lol ... works a treat on these cold mornings!!

Cathie! said:
That's what I do too.....but only if I'm wearing trousers lol ... works a treat on these cold mornings!!

Great tip you two - will try that next time.

This really takes me back to theold days when I used OPI (before warmer came out).

In the morning, the primer bottle went in the cleavage in my bra to unfreeze it (sorry nailzoo, you probably haven't got one) and the monomer between my thighs.

Thankfully now, I do not use any primer and do not have problems with the cold here in Spain. My advise is get heating in the salon and keep your monomer where the temperatureis ambient.

geeg said:
This really takes me back to theold days when I used OPI (before warmer came out).

In the morning, the primer bottle went in the cleavage in my bra to unfreeze it (sorry nailzoo, you probably haven't got one) and the monomer between my thighs.

Oh Geeg, that's really put a strange picture in my mind now:D LOL

Latest posts

Back