creative enamels thickening

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rach.rua

Reaction score
hiya,

I thought creative enamels were supposed to have something in them that stops them going all gloopy, in the salon i work in they use essie and jessica but i convinced them to let me get some creative enamels for french polishing on trial and i thought they didn't thicken like other enamels so i told them that but i'm finding the white ''cream puff'' is getting very thick, i've had to pour some Stickey into it a few times already and its only a about 3 weeks old, would it be because i hold the bottle in my hand when painting and it's used so much? or was i misinformed in the first place?

I'd appreciate any advice.

Thanks a mil xxx

And while i'm at it, i use Negligee or Beau for french polishes, is there another creative enamel colour you could recommend to me that would be a little bit pinkier?? like the equivalent to jessica's Blush..?

Ta.

I never hold the bottle when I am varnishing - I know lots of people do. How do you agitate the bottle before use?

I have some varnishes that I have had for more than 3 years which have never gone gloopy. When they get about half way down I top up from a new bottle.

I use Beau for my French but Romantique and Sheer Contentment are pinker.

I never hold the bottle when I am varnishing - I know lots of people do. How do you agitate the bottle before use?

I have some varnishes that I have had for more than 3 years which have never gone gloopy. When they get about half way down I top up from a new bottle.

This is exactly the same as me,I never hold the bottle.I was taught to but prefer not to.I was told that the only reason you should hold the bottle is because it looks more professional.Nobody in our salon has ever complained.Anway,we always top our bottles up as well,it really does help stop them becoming gloopy and saves on wastage.HTH

I havent thought about doing this Fiona... my Moonlight and Roses seems to be going a little thicker now its 2 thirds down the bottle, so do you think by topping up with a fresh bottle will be ok then? I was thinking I may have to disregard the remainder which is a waste of money. Will give your idea a go .. thank for the tip Fi.. x

hiya,

I thought creative enamels were supposed to have something in them that stops them going all gloopy, in the salon i work in they use essie and jessica but i convinced them to let me get some creative enamels for french polishing on trial and i thought they didn't thicken like other enamels so i told them that but i'm finding the white ''cream puff'' is getting very thick, i've had to pour some Stickey into it a few times already and its only a about 3 weeks old, would it be because i hold the bottle in my hand when painting and it's used so much? or was i misinformed in the first place?

I'd appreciate any advice.

Thanks a mil xxx

And while i'm at it, i use Negligee or Beau for french polishes, is there another creative enamel colour you could recommend to me that would be a little bit pinkier?? like the equivalent to jessica's Blush..?

Ta.
i find the cream puff goes thick too

Hi,

I've found the cream puff a bit thicker but saying that in 2 1/2 years of using this I'm still only on my second bottle. I apply a french quite regularly now so it's not that it's not being used.

Just remember to roll it in the palms of your hands for at least a couple of minutes before application. Usually after one hand I replace the lid and roll it again before the 2nd hand.

HTH

Wiping around the neck of the bottle with polish remover when you have finished also helps prevent it getting thick,as when you put your brush into the neck if any residue remains it gunks the brush up,making the polish thicker.Keeping polish cool and out of direct sunlight also helps.

CND enamels are thixotropic which means that the viscosity thins with aggitation. Holding the bottole upside down and rolling between your palms beore use will thin it quite nicely.

I wouldnt recommend thinning with anything (especially Stickey).

HTHs!

I've had most of my creative enamels now for 3 years and very few have gone thick and gloopy, I always 'roll' my bottles before i use them.

I would say the only ones that do seem to go a little thicker are the cream ones(ie cream puff, sneaky and company red)
Romantique by creative is a lovely colour to use for French, its a little pinker the negligee.

The pigment in teh creme polishes is thicker and they do tend to go gloopy but i just top up with a new bottle and agitate and good as new. I have found though the heat from my hand makes it thicken as well.

Glad its not just me then but Mandidni goes mad with me for not holding the bottle in my hand as I do the enamel painting...I actually find it very awkward:eek:
The only CND enamel I have had probelms with was the Cream Puff....all the other if they are rotated upside down between my hands are fine ....I know some other geeks have had a problem with the Creme Puff too in the past....dont know why this one should be any different to the rest.

Here is advice given by Geeg from a prevous thread:

"ANY brand of French White polish will thicken in the bottle eventually (fridge or not) because of the amount of titanium used in the pigment to make it white.

I changed from using OPI polishes years ago because they all went thick in the bottle. This does not happen with CND enamels apart from the whites that contain titanium. Sorry but you will find it with all whites.

Thinners do not work and CND do not sell thinners because their enamels do not thicken with age. For all colours just roll the enamel in your palms and this will thin the enamel for you."

There is not a white enamel in the world that does not thicken faster than other colours BECAUSE all white polishes contain TITANIUM to make them white ... this also makes the consistency thicker. It is just the nature of any white enamel ... having said that, Creative white enamels do not thicken as quickly as other brands. Just top up with a few drops from a fresh bottle now and again to keep the enamel nice and workable.

Because technicians keep the their white bottle open longer than any other colour when polishing (because they take so long to do a French application) this also helps the polish go thicker more quickly as the solvents evaporate from an open bottle. Learning to apply more quickly will also help save your enamels from going thicker.

I was taught to always wipe the bottle head after each use, it stops it going thick and keeps it clean and airtight.

I was taught to always wipe the bottle head after each use, it stops it going thick and keeps it clean and airtight.

No professional should be getting any polish on the bottle neck if they are using their brush properly. I never EVER have to wipe the neck of the bottle.

Always take the brush out of the bottle AWAY from yourself rather than pulling the brush out toward yourself and then turning the brush around to have the paint on the right side for polishing. It makes no sense. :eek: So much faster and more efficient too. So many do it the wrong way ... why?

So by pulling away from yourself, the neck of the bottle stays clean? That sounds easy enough!

So by pulling away from yourself, the neck of the bottle stays clean? That sounds easy enough!

By pulling away, the enamel is on the right side of the brush to use it without turning the brush around, and all the excess goes back into the bottle off the other side ... do not wipe any more off the brush than just the once. It may look like there is too much polish on the brush, but there is not .. should be enough to do the whole nail without dipping again. Dip, wipe and paint for each nail. You shouldn't get any polish on the outside of the neck of the bottle.

By pulling away, the enamel is on the right side of the brush to use it without turning the brush around, and all the excess goes back into the bottle off the other side ... do not wipe any more off the brush than just the once. It may look like there is too much polish on the brush, but there is not .. should be enough to do the whole nail without dipping again. Dip, wipe and paint for each nail. You shouldn't get any polish on the outside of the neck of the bottle.
I agree with this,unfortunately it's not my boss or myself that gets the polish on the neck of the bottle.It's our delightful clients,when trying out the colours.They shake the bottle up and down,wipe the brush all over the neck:eek: oh the list goes on.Usually when we are seeing another client out of the salon or answering the phone.If we catch them we are lucky,quick nip over to the polish and wipe round the neck.Maybe we should keep the polishes under lock and key eh:!: lol

I agree with this,unfortunately it's not my boss or myself that gets the polish on the neck of the bottle.It's our delightful clients,when trying out the colours.They shake the bottle up and down,wipe the brush all over the neck:eek: oh the list goes on.Usually when we are seeing another client out of the salon or answering the phone.If we catch them we are lucky,quick nip over to the polish and wipe round the neck.Maybe we should keep the polishes under lock and key eh:!: lol

My clients dont have access to my varnishes - I have colour pops for all of the colours so they dont need to.

Latest posts

Back