Dermalogica Price Increase

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had another row with them today. Following all my calls and emails to them, I get an email from their IT department. I have to change my site to show opening hours on the front page.
WTF? have they nothing better to do than try and micro manage and upset their genuine stockists? I told them to f*** off.
I don't know who this company think they are to be honest. On my hair site, redken and pureology are really pleased with what we are doing, and the fact that sales have increased so much.
We can moan and complain as much as we like. We have been dismissed as "competitors and trolls" on this thread by dermalogica themselves.

How can you possibly be either a competitor or a troll when you're a stockist?!
They're bonkers!

Surely they will have some senior people to chat to at Pro Beauty Excel. It's harder to brush off people face to face. Could be a good place to raise concerns over your accounts with them. Maybe even show them some of the comments here.

Mat

Hi all, I am one person, based at home. I bought into Dermalogica 5 years ago. I spent a fortune as did all of you, but at the time the internet phenomenon hadn't really taken hold of the retail business.

Back then I was able to purchase stock and sell easily, I was on their website and I had a rep who visited. Once my retailing tailed off, I was dropped like a hot potato! I complained that I was out of the loop about offers and new products and TBH I felt cast aside for the larger salons etc. But that's business I suppose! only glad I don't treat my clients like that lol!!
It the time House of Frazer had a franchise in Guildford and they had a Dermalogica beauty room - I complained heavily about it - and was told it was nothing to do with Dermalogica as they Lady was renting the space from HOF - but Dermalogica still sold her stock!
So that was unfortunately in my case when the rot set in....

To compound that the Jersey site etc and others started to boom, I have found it impossible to retail and more so with the price increases!

I am disappointed and feel very trapped - in a brand that sells in Bentalls in Kingston-upon-Thames and in Guildford (the two larger towns near me). I recently went to Westfield in London and they have a retail and treatment area in the main promenade!

So where to go when I cannot afford to buy into another brand (I would love Decleor) at this time as money is short!

Thanks for allowing me to sound off - it has been very liberating to finally get it off my chest!!

Fiona

You could always choose a brand which doesn't have a minimum order...
SwissDermyl is one such brand!

Wait a minute, did you say they gave you a cheque against returned products - i have just sent a load of things back as have decided that i am no longer going to stock 100's of the range like they insist as it is just not cost effective and they have told me that they can only recredit my account??

tbh i think that it is loosing it's "cool" appeal as a brand and totally agree that they only seem to be bothered about the big fish and the fact that they allow internet sites to continue winds me up no end i have contacted them 100's of times about this and they just palm me off with the usual "there's no way we can work round their existing t&c's blah, blah, blah...

Bombini was able to get a cheque because she closed her account with Dermalogica.

They say you can get back 50% of what you paid for your retail stock. (Sometimes you can get more, depends who you deal with)

If you still have an account with them, their policy is just to give you credit.

im amazed that i got a reply then during the end of the xmas hols i emailed her before, about how ive been treated over terms and conditions so mayb thats why she replied i got the usual automated answer then i got this.

Dear Judith

Thank you for your email. I felt compelled to respond immediately and at length even though it is the Holiday weekend as I appreciate your forwarding the link to me. I am familiar with the site and the ongoing back and forth that takes place. As you know, it is very easy to post whatever comments anyone wishes to, and it can become a 'grenade throwing' exercise in both genuine and also hateful comments. I prefer to always respond to emails I receive directly, as this usually indicates the senders desire to actually solve a problem instead of just sounding off in a forum about it. There are various complaints in the string that you sent to me, and so I'm not absolutely sure of the ones you 'wholeheartedly agree with' and if I miss anything, we will want to address it, so let us know!

I understand concerns about the 2010 price increase. But, as you should know already from our UK team, we will absorb the January 2011 VAT increase and we are holding prices through next year, so be assured that VAT increase will not affect you. However, as you know, our manufacturing costs have gone up and as we are continually looking to improve our formulae and incorporate newer ingredients and cosmeceutical grade raw materials, they have increased significantly. In addition, because we manufacture in Southern California, we have incurred increased shipping and transport costs globally, which although we have tried to absorb, it was necessary to increase prices.

Let me assure you that we are committed to the professional Skin Therapist. I understand and echo the frustration with the internet discounting. Contrary to some that would badmouth Dermalogica, it is not something we have encouraged, supported or been complicit in. In fact, under the European Union Laws, there is almost nothing we can do to prevent it. We have spent 25 years building that brand with Skin Therapists such as yourself, and have never viewed our success as some kind of short term ruse to make money. If that were the case, we would have sold on QVC or similar years ago! We have spent hundreds of thousands of dollars and many years, trying to protect our brand image and integrity. We have spoken to and retained legal counsel in every country we sell in, and we are severely restricted in what we can actually do. Some years ago, we attempted to request our accounts in Australia maintain uniform pricing. We soon learned that not only were we naïve in that intention, we incurred a lawsuit filed with the Australian Government by one of our stockists who wished to discount the prices. We fought the suit in their Superior Court in Canberra, and lost it, and we were fined over a quarter million dollars for trying to prevent discounting. The Australian laws work hard to give the consumer the best price available, and prevent manufacturers from protecting their stockists who sell at the recommended retail price. In Europe, Estee Lauder, Clarins and L’Oreal have been sued and fined millions of Euros in the past few years for attempting the same thing. In the USA we have some opportunities to at least prevent lower prices from being posted online or openly advertised, but no such protection exists in the UK or the EU.

We are not legally allowed to dictate pricing in any EU country including the UK. That’s the fact. Companies who tell you that they DO prevent discounting are outside of the law, often because they either do not know the law, or they are simply too small and ‘below the radar’ to incur legal action. I assure you, that if we attempted this, our competitors would be the very ones who would report it. Under the EU laws, we are also prevented from stopping any account who buys Dermalogica from us from selling it in whatever method they wish. In other words, if someone buys Dermalogica to sell in their salon, we cannot stop them from selling online. That is the law. Any company who says they ARE preventing online sales either do not know the law, or they are simply too small and ‘below the radar’ to incur legal action. Are you frustrated? You bet. Am I frustrated. You BET! But again, the EU is determined to allow the consumer to purchase at the most competitive price, and the laws do not protect the brand or the stockist – they advantage the consumer. That’s just the fact of the matter.

So what CAN we do to grow our business and help you grow yours? We are working now on incentives and rewards to encourage the customers to buy in a ‘bricks and mortar’ account such as yours. Not by preventing them from buying online which would be illegal, but by rewarding them for coming to you. We have worked over the years to develop hands-on core concepts such as FaceMapping and SkinBar and Dermalogica events, to ensure that the Skin Therapist is squarely involved in the brand identity and we print the fact that FaceMapping is recommended on every carton that is sold. Our goal for 2011 is ‘how can we strengthen the success of the Professional Skin Therapist’ in each of our markets. I have always been committed, and I still am, to empowering our entrepreneurial Skin Therapists, 98% of whom are self employed women, and of which both you and I am a part.

I hope that you can sense my own frustration at the situation. I know that is cold comfort as we face a weakening economy and pressure and hardship in building our businesses during this period. But I assure you, I am not oblivious nor am I so arrogant, that I don’t think it important to remember ‘who brought us to the party’. I understand if there are Skin Therapists who feel, despite knowing the constraints put upon us, they simply cannot continue to support Dermalogica. It breaks my heart and saddens me after so many years in the business and taking so long to build the brand. However, I do not blindly accept it, and I am committed to taking Dermalogica to continued strength through whatever legal means I can, and in turn, securing the success of the Skin Therapists who have taken the journey with us. Dermalogica has built its success, and the success of the Skin therapists who use and recommend it, by being imaginative, innovative, hard working and focused. That has not changed. Clients still want the very best skin that they can achieve, and together with professionals such as yourself, Dermalogica delivers that to them. For that reason, we are so sought after and demanded by the consumer, and for that same reason, we will remain determined to deliver continued growth.

I most certainly hope that you will be part of that journey with us as you have been in the past, and for which I very much thank you,

Best regards,

Jane

i'm getting my clients who are buying from me to sign a petition that im goin to send. As i am putting my foot down to joining the sale slashes on web as i wouldn't get anything for my over heads. if you could all send me by email { [email protected] } with you name an salon name which i will send to jane aswell as glen poy uk dermalogica. lets get these issues sorted once an for all also join me as a friend on here to keep up dated. let the battle comence !!!

"We are not legally allowed to dictate pricing in any EU country including the UK. That’s the fact. Companies who tell you that they DO prevent discounting are outside of the law, often because they either do not know the law, or they are simply too small and ‘below the radar’ to incur legal action. I assure you, that if we attempted this, our competitors would be the very ones who would report it. Under the EU laws, we are also prevented from stopping any account who buys Dermalogica from us from selling it in whatever method they wish. In other words, if someone buys Dermalogica to sell in their salon, we cannot stop them from selling online. That is the law."

Hmmmmmm Stop supplying those accounts/salons maybe:rolleyes:????

How can they blame 'the law' when their the ones supplying the salons that are discounting the products and selling online.
STOP SUPPLYING THEM!! SIMPLE!!!

Under the EU laws, we are also prevented from stopping any account who buys Dermalogica from us from selling it in whatever method they wish. In other words, if someone buys Dermalogica to sell in their salon, we cannot stop them from selling online. That is the law."

If this is the case then how or why are they able to dictate to the likes of Persianista how she can and can't sell her products online?!

Environ don't allow their therapists to sell on line. Price fixing is illegal as it should be but I am not aware of any laws that say that a company's T&C's aren't allowed to restrict sales to off-line only. It would be interesting if anyone with a Dermalogica Account and FSB membership could contact the legal helpline to verify this with them.

Still nice to get a response from the top. Though I doubt it is going to change anything, they have made a corporate decision and that is working for them. Only if a serious number of accounts get organised and together in a united movement will they take any real notice.

Mat

Nice to see a reply from Jane, I don't think it will change anything though.

Something that did interest me was the following.

we are also prevented from stopping any account who buys Dermalogica from us from selling it in whatever method they wish. In other words, if someone buys Dermalogica to sell in their salon, we cannot stop them from selling online. That is the law.

If thats the case why do their T&C'S state that accounts can not sell on ebay, have very heavy restrictions on their websites and can not advertise discounts in salon newsletters etc.

Ive said it before and I will say it again the price increases that Dermalogica have forced on stockists are way, way higher than other brands. For example I trained with Decleor over 7 years ago and a lot of the products cost only a few pounds more now yet in the 2 1/2 years I was a Dermalogica stockist a cleanser has gone up over £5 and some of the moisturisers over £10 :eek:

Did anybody get a new price list from Dermalogica today? Their prices have gone down a tiny bit for us but not for the clients to buy!

Is that in relation to the change in VAT? Do these new prices infact keep the with VAT price the same?

Just a thought to check.

Mat

Just to add, there is another thread about a SalonGeek meet at Pro Beauty. The assembled Dermalogica accounts could of course get together for a meet on their stand to discuss their concerns.

Just sayin.

i love decleor and was really surprised to find a brand of this quality was less expensive for a 250ml cleanser its only £19.50 and was really shocked to hear that dermalogia
was £24.00 and decleor arnt having a price increase this year.
top quality brand with free training may be worth a look rather than a cheaper less well
known brand your clients arnt aware of
good luck

Totally agree and have started to wonder what Fyte is really all about? Prices increased last year and in January we launch a dollar donation scheme to microloan business enterprise in another country. Should we not be considering our own customers. And before anybody thinks I am not charitable I can assure you I am but seems a bit odd that we have merged with a microloan company. If it was a donation why is the word "loan" in there also. Like you I am considering Environ as a back up as I have read some amazing reviews

i too am looking at either environ or eve taylor as eve taylor is sd alcohol free free from artifical colourings an fragrances an environ is more of a phamacutial than a skincare brand. What annoys me about the new charity campaigne is shes wanting to help business women in the 3rd world countries while shes forgetting bout business women in this country that have helpped her get where she is but when were struggling you don't really get any help from her i.e enforce the internet site to put the rrp price to close to what we sell in the salons an then at least we are at an even level at selling because im sick off people coming in using up my free time to face map and relucantly give free samples too as they say they'll be back then i don't get the sales as they go online for it. Well continue jane to ignore your " valued customers" as you put it on the letter you sent out for the new age smart eye product, as sooner or later more stockist will go bust then you'll notice in ure bit fat profit dropping and loyal clients starting to complain that they cant get advise from there stockist as they cant afford to stay in business, even tho she wants us to help new business women!! lol make ya laugh!

I completely agree with you all Im a stockist of dermalogica since 2008 and really regret being an account holder-as much as I love the product snd believe its the best the prices have dramtically gone up making it harder to retail products. Also they seem to always bring out new products unecessarily like the recent launch of eye reversal cream what about mutiviamin power for antiageing? Im finding it hard to retail their products as it is without them bringing more into it. I also complained the fact I'm not listed on the web when you do a postcode search on their website they said its because I dont spend the minimum order of over £300/400+ every month well if they dont list me on their how can I- Im a relatively small salon so any of theor support would be apreciated since my first year of being with them rep doesnt bother now either as im listing a grade C r D in their account due to not spending enough like those account any worth it-all about money thats how these big companies con ppl.
As my competitors are listed on the web I thought about doing Dermalogica reward cards so that might help encourage clients to buy products from me rather than cheaper sales online but now sure how to go about it maybe a pointa scheme any ideas would be aprececiated ty xxx

I completely agree with you all Im a stockist of dermalogica since 2008 and really regret being an account holder-as much as I love the product snd believe its the best the prices have dramtically gone up making it harder to retail products. Also they seem to always bring out new products unecessarily like the recent launch of eye reversal cream what about mutiviamin power for antiageing? Im finding it hard to retail their products as it is without them bringing more into it. I also complained the fact I'm not listed on the web when you do a postcode search on their website they said its because I dont spend the minimum order of over £300/400+ every month well if they dont list me on their how can I- Im a relatively small salon so any of theor support would be apreciated since my first year of being with them rep doesnt bother now either as im listing a grade C r D in their account due to not spending enough like those account any worth it-all about money thats how these big companies con ppl.
As my competitors are listed on the web I thought about doing Dermalogica reward cards so that might help encourage clients to buy products from me rather than cheaper sales online but now sure how to go about it maybe a pointa scheme any ideas would be aprececiated ty xxx

totally agree Layla-Louise im sick of them constantly bringing out new products when i was told last year after the teenage range an the chroma white range was launched nout more new products, but oh look a new add on to the age smart range, which might i add there launch deal with the poster of the crow would off put all new an existing clients as my business partner said " are they saying woman looklike or are crows" even tho its to deal with crows feet i don't think it was approiate. yup im up an down with the being added on an off there website makes me laugh how they want to help the salon that are meeting the targets than the smaller salon sho arent meeting there targets. i did a reward points scheme where every product you buy gets you points like a boots advantage card or tescos clubcard they get money of any dermalogica treatment so it gets them into having treatments as i found people where buying the product but not having any treatments. hope ive helpped

Latest posts

Back