Do you charge family???

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

allieXayrshire

Reaction score
was just windering if any of you charge family and if you do how much?
I did my sisters tan the first few times for free but then she started coming every 5 days wanting a tan so i started to charge her £5 to cover my costs etc. However im finding that as she is coming so often is is using up my solution but not really giving me any profit to purchase more. She is still at school so doesnt have enough money to purchase her own bottle of solution for me to use only on her and i dont really want to buy more as im stil paying back my initial tanning set up. I feel bad for charging her as she is my sister and i wouldnt mind doing the odd tan for free but every 5 days i cant do that for free. Do you think i should be charging her and do any of you charge immediate family?

Hi
Yes i charge family. Not my mum though as she has done a lot 4 me. But all family gets 15% off. At the end of the day its business and we need to make money, not throw it away. Hth
Posted via Mobile Device

well my mum reckons she can get away with having em free all the time and going in my beauty box taking out my nail varnish and using it!!

Then i said something about well u wont be complaining when ur wanting spray tans all the time and started saying your not doing any treatments on me until you've worked in a salon now im not being big headed but im proud to say i know im very good at my treatments and have worked mobile for a while now.

so she can get stuffed she's never having a treatment again LOL

I do 2 of my sisters waxing for free...I have 7! the rest pay.
I charge them £10 each for a tan and £10 for Minx Oh and I may chuck in a free tint every now and then. These 2 sisters are really good to me though.
I think you should be asking her to cover your costs. If she cant afford it then... well...it's not essential that she has it.
xxx

I have a few friends who I dont charge and a few that insist on paying! dont have any sisters so that isnt a problem :green: I think 5 pounds is ok to charge your sister for a tan, at that price you should still be making a small profit even after the cost of the solution has been taken out of it.

I spray tan my sister occasionally and charge her £15. She had a couple of free tans in the beginning, and I also did her a freebie at Christmas and on her birthday. She doesn't have a huge disposable income, but then again she always wants her tans done at her convenience, usually on a Thursday or Friday evening (my busiest days) so I feel completely justified in charging her.

Your sister still being at school is a tricky one for you. On the other hand though, every 5 days does seem excessive. Could she use a tan-top-up product to at least make the tan last for a few more days, then charge her, say £10 per tan, that way you're still getting £20 a month but only doing 2 tans instead of 4.

Alternatively, can she "pay" in other ways, by doing your leaflet drops etc, so she can "earn" her tans? Or even non-business related help (like the ironing or ANYTHING in return).

Ive had same problem with friends with regards to waxing and manis none really wanted to commit to a time, and none EVER offered to make a token payment to cover product. I think that the feeling was that they were doing me a favour, which they were, but its a two way street, they got something out of it too. Now ive got a sienna kit, ive done 9 test sprays at coll. and 2 that ive charged for id really like to do more testers, how do i ask friends to fork out £6 or so for product? i dont want to do it for free. Suggestions please. :idea:
PS i hope im not leaving mess.that are too long i love this site and only joined 4 days ago

I spray tan my sister occasionally and charge her £15. She had a couple of free tans in the beginning, and I also did her a freebie at Christmas and on her birthday. She doesn't have a huge disposable income, but then again she always wants her tans done at her convenience, usually on a Thursday or Friday evening (my busiest days) so I feel completely justified in charging her.

Your sister still being at school is a tricky one for you. On the other hand though, every 5 days does seem excessive. Could she use a tan-top-up product to at least make the tan last for a few more days, then charge her, say £10 per tan, that way you're still getting £20 a month but only doing 2 tans instead of 4.

Alternatively, can she "pay" in other ways, by doing your leaflet drops etc, so she can "earn" her tans? Or even non-business related help (like the ironing or ANYTHING in return).

The leaflet drops is a really good idea! x

Ive had same problem with friends with regards to waxing and manis none really wanted to commit to a time, and none EVER offered to make a token payment to cover product. I think that the feeling was that they were doing me a favour, which they were, but its a two way street, they got something out of it too. Now ive got a sienna kit, ive done 9 test sprays at coll. and 2 that ive charged for id really like to do more testers, how do i ask friends to fork out £6 or so for product? i dont want to do it for free. Suggestions please. :idea:
PS i hope im not leaving mess.that are too long i love this site and only joined 4 days ago

All u need to do is mention that you cant afford to do it for free but tell them the price you would normally charge and say that you are doing it them much cheeper. when I started I did a full set of nails for £20 but because I told them it was usually £27 I had a lot of takers

hth x

This is something that really annoys me......... not with family cos we are really close but friends - they don't 'expect' to pay for their nail extensions or legs waxed because you are their friend!!!!!!! I've stopped doing it full stop - why should I buy the products from them to use? Fair enough if the want to do something in return but usually you find they dont and see it as a free service.... My family is different - my sister looks after my kids after school when I'm working and my mum does loads for the kids like holidays n stuff so as far as im concerned they can have whatever they want!

Long... you want to see mine lol
I can ramble on for England :lol: xxx

Don't get suckered into doing it! We all have and probably all been advised against it :cry: God my first few hundred pounds worth nail products went on friends I think! Why don't you say to you say to them that you are having a fam n friends night/day on tuesday (pick a quite day), all tans/treatments are £7 and then you cover your costs and set the expectations for actually paying you

I've never given my friends a discount but they have never asked. They are all willing to pay and the subject has never come up. I guess i have good friends :)
My best friend runs her own business too, she is a personal trainer and does sports massage etc... My eldest daughter has sports massages with her and i would never dream of asking her for a discount.

This is something that really annoys me......... not with family cos we are really close but friends - they don't 'expect' to pay for their nail extensions or legs waxed because you are their friend!!!!!!! I've stopped doing it full stop - why should I buy the products from them to use? Fair enough if the want to do something in return but usually you find they dont and see it as a free service.... My family is different - my sister looks after my kids after school when I'm working and my mum does loads for the kids like holidays n stuff so as far as im concerned they can have whatever they want!

I have also stopped treating my friends. They all wanted it for free but didn't want to help me with assessments at college when I was training...because they had to pay a small charge!
It is beyond me how people can be so cheeky x

I've never given my friends a discount but they have never asked. They are all willing to pay and the subject has never come up. I guess i have good friends :)

Can I join your circle of friends? lol

I charge my 2 sisters half price for treatments and i give my mums treatments free because she does allot for me and i live here rent free.
But at ocassions like xmas, birthdays, wedding i give treatments to them free.

thanks for all your replies. Ive texted her this morning and shes going to deliver some leaflets for me tomoro in exchange for her tan tonight so hopefully she actually does it tomoro as shes being tanned first lol. I always charge friends and dont even discuss discounts. I have only ever given a freebie to one friend who was recently in hospital for 6 months so i went to the hospital and did her nails free. she offered to pay but i told her it was to cheer her up. i dont charge my mum as she has done so much for me and to be honest isnt really a nails or tan kind of person so doesnt want treatments much. The thing with my sister is i think she thinks because she pays £5 shes like any other client and can pick and choose when she wants a tan, she cancels and rearranges, if she comes to mine for it she wants picked up and dropped off and even then during the tan she complains shes cold, thirsty, in a rush etc lol. Sometimes i think id be better off to pay her not to come lol. Only joking but i dont think people realise that the time they take up for a treatment is worth a lot more to you and products are not cheap. I think ill start with getting her to do leaflets and then she could do some babysitting etc too. xx

Hi Guys. I do 25% off for all my close friends. I never charge my mum or my 1 sister but they have offered to pay to cover my costs. When I set up doing spray tans just over a month ago I texted all my friends saying if they were interested in a spray tan at a once only price of £7 while I perfected my technique to let me know. They all jumped at the chance for a cheap tan and have returned since and paid 'mates rates' 25% off normal price. I don't rely on mates as clients and I fit them in around my clients :lol:

I must be really really lucky! My family ALWAYS pay me full price and tip! Even though i always try and refuse it. They are as enthusiastic about getting my business going as i am!

My sister is 18 and still in the "party party party!" phase so i always make sure she is tanned, minxed and plucked. In return she is my walking advertisement. All her friends come to me and even the wife of one of the door men at the club !! ha ha. It works really well! With friends i have a referal system, so for example if they have minx, if they get 3 people booked up with me their next minx would be half price. It just encourages them to advertise for you. positive word of mouth is like gold dust x

I have four sisters and charge them £5 each. They don't have it done to often so not so much of problem and they also help in getting me new business. I also give one of my friends a free tan in exchange for beauty treatments.

Latest posts

Back