DO you get lifting???

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It depends on the product for me.

I never ever get lifting at all with Bio Sculpture, and its rare that I would even have to do a repair, but with harder gels I get an a occasional client that seems lift prone and with L&P I get smal amount of lifting probably on 80% of the sets that I do, (usually after 3 weeks), but then L&P never was my strong point!

I have some clients who come back after 4 weeks with no lift, some who come back after 2 weeks with bits here & there - mainly sidewall lift and then the odd one or 2 clients (always the same people) that have bad lifting.
I've prepped for ages, cleaned away all debris, scrubbed with Scrubfresh and down into the side walls and even used the Scrubfresh sandwich AND primer, (Retention+) but they still have lift.
It depends what clients do with their nails once they are out of the salon - these bad lifters are just heavy handed and don't really look after their nails.
One client even picks at her nails as she knows she's coming to me so I'll fix it - grrrrrr!

Last edited:
I think the most important point to consider is WHEN you see lifting and not whether or not there is any lifting.

If lifting occurs withing the first week after application then YOU as a technician have a problem and it must be solved.

It you are seeing substantial lifting on every client then YOU as a technician have a problem and it must be solved.

BUT if you know there is an explanation for the lifting you are seeing (clients not using oil, not having timely maintenance, heavy handed clients with nails that are too long etc) then that sort of lifting is not your fault as a technician. You can however help the client to solve the problems by giving good aftercare advice and helping them to realise that timely maintenance is important and a little home maintenance too.

After 2 weeks, cleints should learn to shorten their nails just a bit. Doing this prevents allot of lifting if they go for 3-4 weeks between appointments.

On the subject of lifting , can anybody point me in the right direction or explain how to file away lifting when its on the right hand side of the nail ,if its on the left-cuticle/side wall- I have no prob shiffting it , on the right it always just seems so awkward .:mad:

On the subject of lifting , can anybody point me in the right direction or explain how to file away lifting when its on the right hand side of the nail ,if its on the left-cuticle/side wall- I have no prob shiffting it , on the right it always just seems so awkward .:mad:
Turn the clients hands to make it easier :)

This is a great thread, have been meaning to ask this but was a little wary of the feedback! Of course we should all strive for perfection but it helps to know that many of us are in the same position. I personally do still see lifting but not too much, just about 1mm round the cuticle. I know this can be down to the client not oiling and the product drying up and pulling away from the natural nail as it grows. I always give this advice to my clients.

I will however not be 100% happy until there is minimal lift or no lift on all the nails I do.

If we are feeling brave maybe putting up some pics of nails after say 2-3 weeks would be a good idea. This way geeks can give advice on possible causes of lifting and also advise what it acceptable?

One of the biggest causes of lifting on the sides and the eponychium area is that technicians are so wary of touching the skin they are too gentle (yes ... I see you all nodding your heads...if this is you then read on) with the brush instead of deliberately and carefully PRESSING the product into place before lightly smoothing it over.

If the product is lifting in these areas then it was never bonded in the first place and, yes, the sides are very awkward to have to file away lifting. So Learn not to get lifting there in the first place by pressing firmly with the brush ..... I guarantee you are not doing this if you are getting lifting there.

I also sometimes get slit lifting, but after reading CND step by step direction I found some ares I need to check if I am doing properly.

When rebalancing gel bevel to expose a small margin of keratin (nail) all the way around the extension edge and around lateral walls to reseal during reapplication. this will help prevent nail from pulling away from the overlay.

Avoid nipping forch. Sliding the nipper under a lifted edge and pulling up leads to service breakdown. It can also lead to onycholysis(separation from nail bedI think) and perpetuate excessive filling to remove the ridge left behind can cause lifting. :)

Last edited:
I think the most important point to consider is WHEN you see lifting and not whether or not there is any lifting.

If lifting occurs withing the first week after application then YOU as a technician have a problem and it must be solved.

It you are seeing substantial lifting on every client then YOU as a technician have a problem and it must be solved.

BUT if you know there is an explanation for the lifting you are seeing (clients not using oil, not having timely maintenance, heavy handed clients with nails that are too long etc) then that sort of lifting is not your fault as a technician. You can however help the client to solve the problems by giving good aftercare advice and helping them to realise that timely maintenance is important and a little home maintenance too.

After 2 weeks, cleints should learn to shorten their nails just a bit. Doing this prevents allot of lifting if they go for 3-4 weeks between appointments.

One of the biggest causes of lifting on the sides and the eponychium area is that technicians are so wary of touching the skin they are too gentle (yes ... I see you all nodding your heads...if this is you then read on) with the brush instead of deliberately and carefully PRESSING the product into place before lightly smoothing it over.

If the product is lifting in these areas then it was never bonded in the first place and, yes, the sides are very awkward to have to file away lifting. So Learn not to get lifting there in the first place by pressing firmly with the brush ..... I guarantee you are not doing this if you are getting lifting there.

yes and yes, lol!! this IS me!! but why on some and not on others is what i dont get!
i have 2 new sets in tomorrow so going to try and be more aware during my application and hopefully will have a return with no lifting!!
I think my problem is that i really beat myself up over lifting issues, i just automatically blame myself as was always told lifting was down to the tech not the client, which i still think it is right so not going to start making excuses for my own problems i am having.... i just do get frustrated that after 18 months doing nails i thought i would have resloved this problem by now!

Yep its me too lol

If there is any lifting its at the sidewall & i know im not pressing it hard enough...

Most of my clients come back every 3 weeks..... Id love them back in every 2 lol

For some reason, my clients and I very rarely get lifting (or if they do, it´s just one nail and very slight lifting). I find this strange, as I am only now doing a "comeback" to nails and feel like a total beginner in so many levels. I suppose it is because im very, very thorough with my prepping. (Actually prepping and blending tips takes the longest time when I do nails, maybe too much...)

My personal problem is chipping of the nail, free edge and sides, but I guess that is due to me not making sure to carefully cap each nail, even though I try. Also a big problem is tips just falling off. They really do, because when a client comes back, there is no damage to the nail (some cases excluded, but they are the chronic biters/nippers).

The lifting issue really is interesting though, because I hear it is the biggest problem of many beginner nail techs. Or even experienced ones. I suppose we all have our own problem areas to try and fix... :confused:

it can stay to a perfect blend up to 6 weeks if a customer is carefull and their natural nails don´t curve to much. I haven´t seen your nails so it could be that you think it is bad but that i don´t think that it is anything at all. It doesn´t sound to bad anyway. what about taking a pic of it next time and post it? could it be to being inconsistent with your product ratio here or there or not cleaning the nail before the top gel so it losens up on the bit of natural nail it came in contact with? i´m just guessing here

To be honest I'm not really too bothered about it as it is a very tiny bit which just needs a swipe to take away and it is not every client.

I was just wondering what was "normal" really and if I should be aiming for having absolutely no change at all in zone 3 except the new nail growth iykwim

Don't use a gel top coat either so it's not that.

I did a custom blend on my left hand last week so I can see how a full hand lasts (as i'm a guy I can't have a lovely set of stilettos) so I did a nice natural set on me and on the pinkie finger there is a tiny bit of lifting which I think is due to my prep on that nail. I will post a pic so you can see what I mean but otherwise I am happy with them

Last edited:
most of my clients who use oil come back with fully bonded nails, dryer nails and cuticles nearly always have lifting. I dont regard lifting on clients after 5 wks as lifting its more coming away due to pressure and its their doing not mine as I am always here between apps.

To be honest I'm not really too bothered about it as it is a very tiny bit which just needs a swipe to take away and it is not every client.

I was just wondering what was "normal" really and if I should be aiming for having absolutely no change at all in zone 3 except the new nail growth iykwim

I did a custom blend on my left hand last week so I can see how a full hand lasts (as i'm a guy I can't have a lovely set of stilettos) so I did a nice natural set on me and on the pinkie finger there is a tiny bit of lifting which I think is due to my prep on that nail. I will post a pic so you can see what I mean but otherwise I am happy with them

Stevie, I think you are worrying too much hun, I can't add much to what has already been said, but I get clients who come back with no lifting and some that do, as has been said already it could have been down to me or the client.

I would love to have a wee nail cam to see what the clients actually do with their enhancements when they are at home or even better a solar oil cam!!!! :lol::lol::lol:

Some clients treat their nails more respectfully than others and use their oil etc so every client is different mate.

You should expect none to minimal lifting...but again properly applied nails also need to be treated well.

Hun you're doing really well....keep retailing the OIL!!! :)

Sure! I have a client or two who have lifting everytime they come in. Its not much - and generally on the same fingers. One is a smoker - and it is her smoking fingers that lift and one is a hairdresser who puts a lot of torque pressure on her tips when doing up-dos. I have one client that NOTHING sticks too - that's body chemistry. I take it all in stride because I KNOW its not my fault.

Don't be hard on yourself! Remember, you are adding an artificial enhancement on to the nail plate - they are not part of the natural nail - it can lift. Hell, I even get lifting on my own hand! The middle finger on my right hand always lifts - doesn't matter what I do, its the only one. My hubby things I use it to often and that's why it lifts! LOL

Latest posts

Back