Does it look messy/unprofessional to have mani products/polishes from various ranges?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sarahc

Reaction score
i originally trained with opi in manicure many moons ago, so use their products and polishes - however im started to put together a collection of polishes from various other companies and would eventually like to offer shellac also .. as a make up artist this its pretty much the norm to mix and match different cosmetic brands but do you think it looks a tad messy to do an opi manicure or pedicure , then use china glaze or cnd polishes?

This response might be a bit contradictory, but I would expect a salon to use items from one range, and to love that range. However, I would expect a make-up artist to have a collection of items from all over the place, lots of different items from various ranges, to use together because the performance of each was tried and tested and loved.

Yes, think you'll get lots of various opinions on this but i wouldnt see it as a problem at all.

I pick the things i find work for me and work best for my clients from a few different ranges and i have various different polish brands. Sometimes i come across a colour that i think clients will love, regardless of the brand, i think it will be a hit with customers.... i get it!

I also think that most customers pay very little attention to what you're using, let alone what brand it is. :green:

Hi there just to let you know what i do (in my home salon), I have a few different brands but theres so many i have them in a drawer organiser (numbered) and i have painted colourwheels for pinks, neutrals, purples, wackys etc etc, the client chooses, then i get the selected one from the drawer so they dont see anyway...they are just happy with the colour! hth sweet xx

I agree with MissOwen. People are different--no one thing works for everyone. I have to be able to offer a range of things if something does not work out. I ended up with most of my collection trying to find something that would work on--and please--one particular client. Went through 7 different products brands before we were both happy.

I was having this conversation with a client this morning as I have a few 'collections' on display. I have a collection of OPI, SpaRitual and CND polishes. I have always used CND base and top coats as I find I get the best results with these but I do tend to buy small collections of colours when I shop. If you stick to just one brand you may not get the colours you or your clients want. I have just seen the new Cosmic FX set by Orly and was thinking of adding them to my 'collection' for something new and different! I can't see a problem with mix and match personally.

I think if you are retailing then you really do need to have just the one range otherwise it does look a bit messy. For use on a client then I have never had a problem. Clients are only concerned about the colour and quality and are generally not brand loyal! :green:

I really dont think it matters too much! Like has been said, the client isnt going to notice too much! They arent going to turn around and ask why you are using CND base but a OPI color!
Just like getting your hair done with L'oreal color but they use a Kerastase shampoo

If it's the mani/pedi products, then one brand is best.
If it's polish, I personally wouldn't hesitate to have more than one brand, as long as they're all professional ranges and not something you could pop down to Boots and buy.

thanks for all your feedback .. feel better about offering different polishes now :)
i have always been loyal to opi, but want to try different brands and am realy excted about shellac

I really dont think it matters too much! Like has been said, the client isnt going to notice too much! They arent going to turn around and ask why you are using CND base but a OPI color!
Just like getting your hair done with L'oreal color but they use a Kerastase shampoo

Erm, kerastase is a L'oreal product too. xx:lol:

If it's the mani/pedi products, then one brand is best.
If it's polish, I personally wouldn't hesitate to have more than one brand, as long as they're all professional ranges and not something you could pop down to Boots and buy.

I agree. I think that as long as the brands you use are professional ones then clients are happy. However I do try and snap up any cult Chanel polishes that come out, as my clients will read about them and are always pleasantly surprised when I'm one step ahead! x

some people may not mind.

It may sound silly but when I go and get some sort of treatment I usually feel as if I am getting a higher quality product if the salon uses no more than one or 2 different well-known brands.

More than 2 products and it can look messy but not necessarily.

If you are retailing it really is probably better to have just have one or two different ranges.

I started with just OPI but then I loved Spa Rtitual as we can market that as Vegan so stock both now. I then got tempted by NFU-OH at Olympia as those litltle bottles will attract some of my clients but you need to draw the line some where. Saying all this it's easier in the States as everything is so much cheaper and you don't have your life savings tied up in stock. I priced the gold cnd colour everyone likes yesterday without discussing prices with postage, let's just say it's an unlucky number. My supplier is on one hand and free postage in $$ too, it's criminal what they charge here:rolleyes:

Last edited:
To me, what "looks messy" is polish all over the place, not stored in an orderly manner.

I have wall racks, and my polish is sorted first by brand (2 pro brands on the wall), and secondly by colour.
My glitter stripers on the bottom rack.

I also have 2 bins with lids in my cupboard of my non-pro colours (or spares) for crazy colours that caught my eye.

If you're retailing polish, however; it's likely wisest to stick to a maximum of two brands.

As a rule i stick to my mani/pedi products with just 1 brand thats spa-ritual, i do however have OPI polishes and also purchase the Nina as my local Sally's have both, i love both. They do China Glaze aswell grr am like a child in a sweet shop when it comes to polishes :lol: i like OPI and also Nina as both are 3 free, but china glaze has some fab colours, i would buy in a few if i have more lively clients.

I recently bought 2 reds from opi and nina range as all different as my last client wanted red nails but not sure what shade lol.. i get there and she had found a Estee Lauder red (£18) a bottle !!! i have to say it was pure luxury to paint her nails :lol:

I think as long as the collections are all in order of brand they look tidy i dont think a client would be too fussed how many different brands you have :lol:

as a consumer YES IT DOES

hi sarahc!

I dont think it matters at all! And many salons in london have proved this!

Wah Nails in topshop use all different brands, essie, opi etc and they do a fab job!

They display everything really well and keep it all simple, they keep one shelf for opi, one for essie... etc etc :)

Hope that helps xx

I am a one brand girl myself I think personally it portrays a professional image and therefore client loyalty if you believe they believe.

I have CND trolley, towel, cards, brush, L&P, appt book, tool holder, dog bowl, buffers etc etc, I would feel it compromises my beliefs to advertise another brand,,iygwim lol xx

Personally I would prefer to see one consistent brand across the range. If you feel for example that CND mani products are better then use / retail CND mani products exclusively, but if you prefer Jessica polishes then use and retail them. Mixing everything up would annoy and confuse me as a shopper.

As VHunter says if you want two polish ranges fine, but clearly separate them in your display - mixing them up would be really horrible!

Mat

Latest posts

Back