Emergency!! Eyelash tints! Please hellllpppp!! I am worried!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Top Tottie

Reaction score
Hi geeks

On Friday i did a patch test on my friend for an eyelash tint and it was negative. So I did the eyelash tints on her eyes and she was very pleased. She thought her eyelash looked longer than usual. She is strawberry blonde and it was her first time she had her eyelashes tinted. I put it on for twelve mins.

Just now this evening she sent me two messages in a panic... It goes like this

"I seem to be losing more eyelashes than usual. Over ten since yest. Is this normal? Getting paranoid! x"

"Left eye def lost too many lashes or my liking. Why has this happened? x"

She texted me around 10pm and now its 12.29pm and I have just replied to her saying that it is not normal. I didnt reply sooner as i was too busy with my boyfriend moving in!!

Why has this happened? This has never happened to me before in all the years i have worked as a beauty therapist and I tinted another friend last week with no problems. The stuff is almost brand new,bought it in January and i have used it approximately ten times.

What is it shelf life?

Please can you help?

I am getting sick with worry!!

Please help and thank you

Tolly xxx

12 minutes sounds a long time chick, when i did my training i was told 10 mins max and that was for someone with strong lashes.

I had 2 clients who had ginger lashes (along with brows & hair) and they only took 8 mins top for the dye to take.

Do you think maybe she has a little irritation from the tint so is rubbing her eyes unaware thus making her lashes fall out?

The common name for eyelash loss is called madarosis and this can sometimes be due to trauma like rubbing or plucking.

We shed eyelashes everyday just like the hair on our heads, mainly going unoticed and not giving it a second thought but i think your friend might be noticing it more because she has had treatment on her eyes so is drawn to them in some way, I would ask her to visit you so you can have a look and take whatever action is needed chick.

I never had a problem with any tinting i did so dont really have any answers as such only the explination above.

Last edited:
I honestly dont think its the eyelash tint or anything that you have done ,

the peroxide in the tint would stop taking anyway after a certain amount of time,
and it would just turn back to non reactive harmless tint and stop taking
just like the one you put on for testing ,

so if there was no reaction with the test that you did :confused:

I think too it could be that she is rubbing them
because they are a bit more sensitive or itchy,

and when a couple naturally came out
she is now maybe tugging and testing them to see that they are ok and in doing so is actually pulling some out if you know what I mean ,

I would tell her to rinse them very well with water , and see if it continues.

as long as you followed all the manufactures instructions,
you should perhaps get in touch with them in case the tint is a faulty batch

let us know how you get on ?:hug: good luck x

It could just be as well that as they are darker she can actually see them coming out, whereas before she couldn't!

Thank you guys for your replies..

I have texted everyone i know who i have had tinted as i was so worried i actually cried and cried this morning (I am such a baby!!) and about six came back to me saying, no problems at all!!

I was taught at college, maximum is 15 mins!! So i am confused..

I dont think its the faulty batch as I used them on other people, just this friend. One particular client has grey eyelashes so i did the same at the same amount of time and she was absolutely delighted with no problems.

My work is my advertisement so however small the problem is, i take it very seriously. I am going to buy another batch of eyelash tints just to make sure, i cant afford to risk losing any more clients.
What is worse it was free treatment because i want to practise doing eyelash extensions so i thought i will tint her lashes!!:rolleyes:

I did her nails two months ago, in bright pink, it was a luxury manicure. I did the usual, base case, custom colour, and top coat and she said it is still stained!! I gave her a facial once and her skin came out in spots!!!Every time i do a treatment on her, it always goes wrong... everyone else seems pleased!! aarrghh!!!

Her next two messages goes like this

"Hmmm. No offence but I wont be doing anymore treatments with you. Sorry x"

Then I sent her a message apologising about it and she replied with this

"Try having missing eyelashes then you'll know what disappointment is. Sorry but I'm really unhappy. My nails are still stained and now this."

Why am I so upset? I have just checked the instructions just now and i did follow it according to instructions word by word. This has never happened before. I feel my confidence has been knocked..

I cant cope with it!! xxx

Thank you guys for your replies..

I have texted everyone i know who i have had tinted as i was so worried i actually cried and cried this morning (I am such a baby!!) and about six came back to me saying, no problems at all!!

I dont think its the faulty batch as I used them on other people, just this friend. One particular client has grey eyelashes so i did the same at the same amount of time and she was absolutely delighted with no problems.

My work is my advertisement so however small the problem is, i take it very seriously. I am going to buy another batch of eyelash tints just to make sure, i cant afford to risk losing any more clients.
What is worse it was free treatment because i want to practise doing eyelash extensions so i thought i will tint her lashes!!:rolleyes:

I did her nails two months ago, in bright pink, it was a luxury manicure. I did the usual, base case, custom colour, and top coat and she said it is still stained!! I gave her a facial once and her skin came out in spots!!!Every time i do a treatment on her, it always goes wrong... everyone else seems pleased!! aarrghh!!!

"Try having missing eyelashes then you'll know what disappointment is. Sorry but I'm really unhappy. My nails are still stained and now this."

Why am I so upset? I have just checked the instructions just now and i did follow it according to instructions word by word. This has never happened before. I feel my confidence has been knocked..

I cant cope with it!! xxx

The times can vary depending on different brands, if in doubt read the product information that comes with the tint.

Darker colours often stain nails, it's only on the surface and can easily be removed.

Spots after a facial isn't unusual either.

I think she sounds incredibly ungrateful. She got something for nothing and all she does is complain, but other clients haven't had any problems:rolleyes:. Time to toughen up, she taking the P***.

Hi Tolly,

I dont think its anything you have done. What brand of tint do you use?

I have very fair lashes and always leave the tint on for about 12 minutes, same when i do my mums who has fair lashes too.

I think Sassy might be right about her noticing the lashes more, as they are now darker. I notice them more when they have been tinted.

I think she has probably been rubbing her eyes a bit too much, especially since it is her first ever tint.

Dont worry hun! xx:hug:

:eek: Who needs enemies with 'so called friends' like this! These comment are not helpful and are enough to knock anyones confidence! I mistakenly tinted my friends eyebrows 'blueblack' :o after tinting her lashes the same colour, and we just fell about laughing so much :lol:. She still lets me tint her.

How many drops of 3% vol 10 peroxide did you add to your tint? My college notes say 3 to 5. I add 3. I lost several lashes from one eye ( only one eye) when I was first tinted at college. The other eye was fine :rolleyes:.

My notes also stipulate that the tint can remain in place for 7 to 20 minutes. Not that i have ever left it for as long as 20. I would say 10 max, so I don't think you have done anything wrong.

Chin up, don't let it get to you. Easier said than done I know :hug: x

Hi

She sounds like a right complaining ungrateful mare to me!

I very much doubt your eyelash tint has caused her lashes to fall out, it is far more likely that she is rubbing them as has already been suggested.

As for her nails staining?? Were they already stained?? A quick buff with a white block or preferably a koala buffer and some oil will sort that out.

As for spots after a facial... thats perfectly normal!

Tell her to bugger off and certainly don't do anymore free treatments on her!

Awwww hunny! dont worry, it doesn't sound like you did anything wrong! I would leave a red head lash tint for 12 mins too! they'll grow back! maybe its just like sassy said!
dont worry...... dont let it knock your confidence! x

As someone starting out this is something i dread! ungrateful customers!

I think you have to just be confident in your own abilities and try not to let this one, ungrateful client knock you.

Like someone else said, she probably is just more aware of her lashes now they are darker! silly moo!

I was taught 10 minutes for dark lashes and ---->TWICE<---- as long for blonde, i do it for about 10-12 minutes without any problems so i doubt it was anything to do with you.....

Does she think you intentionally did something to make her lashes fall out?! Grr! :irked:

As for facials.....i always break out in spots when i have a good facial! this is something that usually happens to people isnt it? in my aftercare i do advise clients that this may happen.

Chin up hun, you shouldn't let this person make you feel sad..... counteract this by remembering some good feedback you've received from happy clients :)

:hug:

She is the typical fair weather friend,
always says yes to a free treatment and then just complains about anything and everything,
this is so common when doing treatments for free, people do not appreciate what you are doing for them,
don't do any more treatments for free,
if you are still training charge a small fee, if you are qualified charge them all the going rate hun,
you will gain more respect for it.
And stop worrying, all the other tints you have done have been fine so you have the proof there that you did ok :hug:

she sounds like she is taking the proverbial,
chin up mate, and dont let it knock your confidence,
what matters is if you think you did everything correctly then there you go, whilst feedback is good, comments like this arent
so you win some you lose some

big hugs to you to make you feel better,
i stopped crying after about a year of doing clients, so theres hope for you yet!!! lol

onwards and upwards and a big twirl xxxx

hey hun if you think about it "all your other clients are fine" theres always one:hug:

You need people to practice on that will help and encourage you and know that sometimes it doesn't always go according to plan. Onwards and upwards hun, it's all part of the learning curve we are ALL on, no matter how experienced we are! The hardest part of being a therapist, or dealing with the public at all, is having the courage to keep going when things like this happen. Concentrate on all the times you got it right and keep going :hug:

couldnt it just be because the lashes are darker she is noticing them falling out more?!

Hi girls

Thank you for your kind messages.. the more i read the more i think she has been fiddling with her eyelashes as she notices them a lot more but i cant get in touch with her as she wont talk to me. I think she probably thinks i have done it on purpose which i couldnt have the heart to do it!!

I am taking all your advice on board but she is so abrupt so i cant exactly advise her..

How i laughed when you tracey used blue black on your mate's eyebrows!!

I have always use 3 drops of peroxide and the tint is about 2cm.

Her nails werent stained when I first did them. So its very strange when she said it is still stained after 2 months! Its the first time someone complained about my treatments so thats why i am upset!!

I did my mum's eyes today and asked her to give feedback, but i am sure it is fine.

This morning i really felt like throwing the towel but Mum said NO!! I am even more determined to do more eyelash tints (my poor clients), its ironic that i am doing 7 tints this week when usually do 2!! Perhaps god is looking down on me???

Not only that I will strive to do better and better like i always have but today, I just feel the determination... its sooo strong!

Thank you soo much for your kind words and advice, I dont know how i managed without this site before December 2007!

Onwards and upwards

Love you all xxxx

Hi ya,

I think your friend has given you a rough ride, and I certainly wouldnt take it to heart. I have done soo many naff things to my hair, once I made it go yellow, I cut my fringe once that ended up a centimeter long, Ive burnt off my eyelashes on one eye...Ive tinted my eyebrows too dark because I was distracted..and if my friends had done it too me I still would have reacted the same...laughed...hair grows back, as did my eyelashes.

(Id like to state that I'm rather more haphazard with myself than I am with my clients lol).

As for the staining of her nails, it actaully sound like to me her removal of the varnish is at fault and not yours.

I definately wouldnt throw the towel in...

Chin up honey...tomorrow is a new day...who knows what will happen..

Last edited:
Maybe your 'friend' is jealous of you and is sabotaging your treatments to make you look bad. If you don't get complaints from others and only her I'd be very suss on what she's up to.

Maybe your 'friend' is jealous of you and is sabotaging your treatments to make you look bad. If you don't get complaints from others and only her I'd be very suss on what she's up to.

I think you have just hit the nail on the head!!! I am going to suss her out should she ever speak to me again:rolleyes:

I am feeling much positive today :lol: (my boyfriend gave me a good talking too lol:)) and said to myself today is another day as quoted from Scarlett from Gone with the wind!!! I am not going to let one person ruin everything, it has taught me a lesson though, made me realised that my friends, family and clients gives me really good constructive crictisms and others, well, ......:eek: You can be sure I wont ever give another free treatment again!!! Unless i am training for something..

Thank you for your replies..

Tolly xxx

Latest posts

Back