Feel like throwing the towel in

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Violet Star

Reaction score
Im feeling so down ive been in tears this morning :irked:

As most of you know i converted my garage into a 'salon' But it hasnt worked out too well for me as i didnt plaster any of the walls i left them as brick which brings in allot of cold and looks horrid.

I have a small little heater which doesnt actually do anything the garage is freezing cold and doesnt heat up enough as i dont have a radiator in the garage. I only have half the garage as my mum insisted on keeping the junk she wants in their that she never uses so to desguise this i have hung up a curtain which looks highly tacky. There is a huge draft coming through the garage doors.

Ive spent out around a 100 pounds to get it painted and floor laid etc and im not even using it.

So much more needs doing to the garage about 1000 pounds worth of work that i cannot afford at all.
I was previously working in my bedroom which i didnt want to as working in a bedroom also looks tacky.

I really dont know what to do now and i dont know where to work? I will only work home based and wont work in a salon or rent out a room.

And now its making me want to throw the towel in completely and give up my career as a beauty therapist and nail technician.:cry:

can you take out a loan to cover the alterations? the money u pay out will reap you rewards if u want it to.

what about staying in the bedroom for the time being while u earn the money for conversion?

it seems a very minor reason to give up completely on being a therapist.

when i go for my massages i am on a table in someones through kitchen/lounge, if your good at what u do, and give them a pleasant experience does it really matter what room u do it in??

I really dont know what to do now and i dont know where to work? I will only work home based and wont work in a salon or rent out a room.

And now its making me want to throw the towel in completely and give up my career as a beauty therapist and nail technician.:cry:

why is working in a salon or renting a room out of the question....?

Not good :(

Well, we had our garage converted into an accessible bathroom for Sonia back in 2007, and the work required to turn it into a normal room as opposed to a garage involved bricking up the garage door and putting a window in, dry-lining the walls with polystyrene insulation and plasterboard, and installing a radiator.

The total bill for the bathroom came to about 15K (!) but a lot of that was because of all the extra stuff like plumbing, buying the shower, sink, bath, etc, installing a wet room floor and getting the room fully tiled.

However, I'd imagine that installing a new radiator for the garage shouldn't be too expensive. In our case, the garage was below a bedroom, so we just tapped in to the existing central heating pipes for the radiator in the bedroom and ran extra pipework down through the ceiling for the radiator in the new bathroom...

can you take out a loan to cover the alterations? the money u pay out will reap you rewards if u want it to.

what about staying in the bedroom for the time being while u earn the money for conversion?

it seems a very minor reason to give up completely on being a therapist.

when i go for my massages i am on a table in someones through kitchen/lounge, if your good at what u do, and give them a pleasant experience does it really matter what room u do it in??
I hope it wouldnt matter but i know some people can be a little bit funny with things like that.

why is working in a salon or renting a room out of the question....?
I cant rent a room hun cant afford to, i wouldnt work in a salon as im a bit of a self made person would hate to work for someone else

I just feel like everything is falling ontop of me right now and its getting me right down :cry: If i was to locate back to the bedroom should i take a picture and show you all and see if you think it looks too tacky?

Last edited by a moderator:
Could you go mobile ?

It was not for me but a lot of people do

personally i think ur picking at a scab that doesnt need picking at,

u sound alot like me, im a perfectionist and like things just so, im am currently in the midst of letting a shop and have taken out a 20k loan, i was being finnicky over the smallest of things like whether the switches should be chrome as i wanted or save the money and get the cheaper white ones. now i realise, what does it actually matter??

what im trying to say is what iv already said, ur making something reletively minor into something massive, and ur willing to give up ur whole career for it?! it seems blown massively out of proportion

I really dont mean to be mean, please dont take offence im trying to give u a friendly pick urself up and just get on with it :)

you, cant quit now, its not a big deal, i know a thousand sounds like alot of money, and it is, but it could be money well spent, ive have my waxing studio in a basement, i spent about 2 grand setting up, and decorating, and my fab wesite from ruth above,i got a 0% balance on a dreaded credit card for a year, and got the money in advance, i now these are hard times, but people are still spending, and i know alots to do with image, but alots to do with, your service, and you,
my old boss always said, sometimes you have to go down to come back up again,
dont throw in the towel just yet, i think you will regret it
if you enjoy your job, dont let this stop you, love hx

I really wouldn't rule out working in a salon or renting space/room - this is what I would do if I didn't have 3 young children. Look at it like as a 'stepping stone' to your final goal. When working in a salon/renting space, you would be more exposed thus building up a client base would be easier, therefore building capital/funds would be quicker, so your final goal, be it converting your garage or having your own salon would be a lot nearer.
I'm sure things will work out...be positive x :hug:

you, cant quit now, its not a big deal, i know a thousand sounds like alot of money, and it is, but it could be money well spent, ive have my waxing studio in a basement, i spent about 2 grand setting up, and decorating, and my fab wesite from ruth above,i got a 0% balance on a dreaded credit card for a year, and got the money in advance, i now these are hard times, but people are still spending, and i know alots to do with image, but alots to do with, your service, and you,
my old boss always said, sometimes you have to go down to come back up again,
dont throw in the towel just yet, i think you will regret it
if you enjoy your job, dont let this stop you, love hx

Well said, Helen :)

Well the bedroom above Sonia's bathroom needs sorting out too, as this would make a fab room for body painting, photography and maybe even spray tanning one day too, so that's a mission for me when Sonia gets back from hospital soon... want it up and running so I can be body painting again by summer... the hardest bit is going to be de-cluttering though, eep! Then it's a matter of doing a bit of electrics, wallpapering and painting, putting a new radiator in and laying a nice oak effect laminate floor...

Actually, Violet Star, it's a shame I'm not local to you, as could have helped out with putting a radiator in for your garage otherwise...

Could you go mobile ?
I cant go mobile hun i dont drive, i do mobile spray tans when my mum takes me.

I know im probably over reacting as you said yes i am a perfectionist and like everything perfect. I have spent an hour re-locating to my bedroom ill take some pics soon so you will be able to see what it looks like.

Thanks for your kindness ruth xxx

I cant go mobile hun i dont drive, i do mobile spray tans when my mum takes me.

I know im probably over reacting as you said yes i am a perfectionist and like everything perfect. I have spent an hour re-locating to my bedroom ill take some pics soon so you will be able to see what it looks like.

Thanks for your kindness ruth xxx

Good luck hun, I'm sure it'll all work out ok. Get saving and I'm sure you'll get that garage sorted. x

I'm so sorry to hear that you are feeling down hun, where there is a will there is a way.

What about working in a salon renting a space, but not working for someone else iykwim. Other than that I would continue working as you are just now and save up so you can sort out the garage. :hug:

Hi I have had a garage conversion done and it is the best way to go - however you can do it cheaper by getting a stud work wall put up to help with the cold and separating the other stuff and getting a radiator installed. I would get this priced up and aim to getting it sorted out. Perhaps you know a handy man who can help out? I would really consider this. Plus an interesting focal point can really distract people - more people talk about my light I purchased than anything else!!! A few well chosen pieces can really set a room off so they do not notice any other bits! Do not give up now - working for yourself is rarely smooth - you can triumph over these things.:hug:

I cant rent a room hun cant afford to, i wouldnt work in a salon as im a bit of a self made person would hate to work for someone else

I understand about wanting to be self made but you can only be that if you make the means to achieve it. (Hope that made sense) Working in a salon might give you the income to save up and do what you want with the garage and convert it properly. You'll get there, it might just take a little bit of doing what you have to to acheive the end goal :hug::hug:

As an aside, do you need consent to change the use of a garage to something else?

I think you have one of two options.

Work mobile

Or convert the garage

Sounds like you are half way there.

Even if it meant getting a taxi there and back I'm sure if you had a few tans it would be worthwhile

Keep your chin up :) it will work out in the end

Please don't give up.......... I started much the same way as you are (well we all have to start somewhere).

Why don't you try whitewashing the garage walls (painted brickwork looks great), all the bid DIY stores do a range of value paint which is cheap but will do the trick & brighten the room up a bit. Put some pictures on the walls and also a little bit of draped voile looks good too. Scout bootsales and charity shops for all the little nick nacs that will brighten the room up. A small vase of fresh flowers is a lovely touch. The result will be great and totally individual.

As for the cold, well summer is hopefully approaching, so it may be nice to be working in a cooler breezier area, and by the time the winter comes you may have made enough money to do carry out more intensive work on the garage. So long as your work area is bright, clean and tidy, you will be OK.

Remeber these clients are coming to you because of the service that you offer, and if they like what you offer then they will be back.

Good luck :):):):)

I cant rent a room hun cant afford to, i wouldn't work in a salon as I'm a bit of a self made person would hate to work for someone else

you can still be self made...it might just take a little longer to get there..and you already are in the aspect that you have built yourself up to where you are now in regards to training. At least working for someone you will be earning and so can save to getting the garage the way you want it....or to pay fro driving lessons. Either way they key here is that you need to be earning to do what you want to achieve.

You know hun you have really got to give yourself a talking to (we have talked about this topic recently). Will your mum not let you get a stud wall put up and get it plastered? this wouldn't cost as much a a full conversion (its what I did) and makes a massive difference to the heat & appearance of the room, cost probably only a couple of hundred quid (I know my hubbie did mine - but ....) If you save your money really seriously you could do it if she will let you, other than that you are perhaps going to have to rent a chair, room etc put an add out in your local paper the cost would be easy what you are paying for in stress let downs from lifts & emotional upset and you wont then be relying or answerable to anyone but yourself even if it is only for this year it would allow you to save and get a bit more experience within the industry and how other therapists run things. As others have said dont be too quick to dismiss other alternatives "Rome was`nt built in a day". You will get there in the end your only young compared to Erm ........... sorry guys a lot of us who had a career change later on in our lives. I most certainly would not be able to do what I have done now when I was your age (please dont think I am patronizing you). Dont you dare give up just take a step back and evaluate.

Lecture over. xxxxx

:hug::hug::hug:

Latest posts

Back