First private male client

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

linzwee

Ice Hockey Geek
Reaction score
Hello, i've just had my first male client since i went mobile... my price list had been put up in a canteen down the dockyards :eek: where he worked and he booked up for a back massage and waxing.. my mum was bricking it and came with me, waiting outside to make sure he didnt kill me or anything like that. But it all went well, he was a nice bloke, hes re book and i'm not dead! was quite nervous after reading a few bad stories here.

I'm really chuffed with myself, its sad that i was thinking of turning someone away just casue of they're sex. He loved it and has re booked for 11th dec! yay me!

Watch what you are doing going by yourself. I know you said your mother was outside but if he had decided to try something or even worse what could your mother do sitting outside? Its not worth it.
If a unknown male client phones me for an appt, I take the booking then inform them that I will be bringing a colleauge along with me for security reasons, 99% of the time they are fine with this, you do get the odd one humming and haaing but if they aren't happy so be it.
my friend comes along with me and just sits away in a corner somewhere with a magazine, doesn't say a word.
i know shes there and more importantly the client knows shes there.
i've never had any problems with this.

ya go you, and ya go mum for being your safety net, quiet some time ago, we had a thread all about going mobile and the safety issue, and it wasn't just for blokes it was for any new client. So glad you got a new client, I find blokes tip better then women:lol: so I'm always happy to get a new male customer.

me and my partner have just been discussing this and it is such a difficult topic for me im left like this :| :grr:
as for us a women it is a very hard situation
i was saying to him how it is bad that in todays society we have to be so careful when dealing with male clients in case they do something bad to us ..as the majority probably just want a bit of normal pampering or tidying up ect...
i would probably want someone in the room with me too..but imagine how that would make the client feel ..i would probably say "ooh such a such is in training at the min ,they are going to sit in on the treatment today "

oooh i could go on forever ..his reply was "you're not doing a fella" its dangerous "
but y'know one day i might have to ...its very strange predicmint to be in isnt it
well im glad it all went ok for you hun ,and that your mum came with you i think you did it well ...
:hug:

I personally wouldn't put my safety at risk and therefore will not be doing male clients when mobile.

In the salon if I'm there alone I dont do any new male clients.It's just not worth the risk.My boss dosn't do new male clients either.

It's unfortunate for the many perfectly innocent guys that need these treatments but nevertheless I dont think it's worth jeapordising your safety in doing male clients.JMHO,please rethink your choices with this.It is a very serious issue and is it really worth it? You wont always have somebody waiting outside for you,and what would your mum have been able to do had something happened?

There was a lady from a beauty magazine asking questions on here about safety in salons.She asked me if I had a security 2 way radio system on me would I then be prepared to take on male clients in the salon when alone?

I replied,no,because if I was in danger then the security people would never be able to get to my salon quick enough,it would be too risky.This is a very real issue.

I dont want to dictate to you as obviously you are the one who makes the final decisions about who you do or dont do.I would just hate for you to have any nasty experiences.xx

isn't it a shame that the world is such a place that we have to feel like this...he is more than likely a really nice bloke who just wanted a treat...and why not....but...you do have to be careful and you did the right thing taking your mum...it wouldnt hurt any to tell him that you have someone waiting outside and i bet if he knew your mum was waiting outside he wouldn't have minded a bit....if he is "safe" then why would he.

Just play safe and dont do anything you dont feel comfortable with....xxx
xxxx

OK I give up lol

to see the thread click on Forums>>Media Requests>> then scroll down to the thread.

Lol thanks guys! Dont worry babs... after reading a thread a while ago (was started by a lady who did a massage on a bloke that asked for extra's) I have decided to change my approach to men having treatment but this man booked in a while ago. When i told him my mum was waiting for me he said she could have come up. I've decided to only do men that I or my clients know which as people have said is sad but as you said its not worth the risk. xxxx

Send 'em my way! Being unable to get an appointment with a salon or tech because of my gender was one the main reasons I started my own men's grooming studio, and hilariously I've actually had other therapists (who won't give appointments to chaps) accuse me of being sexist, lol... :eek: I guess you can't win them all!

As Marie and Susie have pointed out, there is some excellent advice on this board regarding personal safety and dealing with new clients - male, female and martian. As a bloke, why am I more likely to be an axe-murderer or a pervert than an unknown female client, by the way??

I could get on my soapbox about this, but in actual fact I'm 110% behind people taking their health and safety seriously and would never knock anyone who refused to see a client if they felt uncomfortable - plus it means more business for me if everyone else is refusing to see male clients :D

BUT... indulge me in this little experiment... replace the word "male" in the above posts with "female", "left-handed", "black", "gay", "Catholic", etc etc, and see if it changes the way you read things :)

Andy x

BUT... indulge me in this little experiment... replace the word "male" in the above posts with "female", "left-handed", "black", "gay", "Catholic", etc etc, and see if it changes the way you read things :)

Andy x

Exactly !!!!!!

Try replacing it with the word "white" or "anglo".

Now if only everyone was what they considered "perfect".

HOW DULL WOULD THAT BE ?

Exactly !!!!!!

Try replacing it with the word "white" or "anglo".

Now if only everyone was what they considered "perfect".

HOW DULL WOULD THAT BE ?
Easy for you to say though as you are in your salon, this girl is mobile and could be putting herself at risk, remember the estate agent that went to show a vendor round a property only to be abducted, I am not scaremongering, but I dont not think you can compare a mobile technicians fears of going to an unknown males house to dealing with a a black and white left handed catholic in your salon.:) this thread has not been started to have a dig at any gender, so why let it become that.:hug:

I think the thing is that we are always at risk no matter who the client, who knows that a female client isn't Rosemary West type and luring you into a trap? Personal safety should be paramount no matter what.

However the odds are shortened when you have a male client booking with a feamle therapist - you only have to read recent threads about men asking for extras etc. There is still an association with therapists and massages being of a sexual nature, and some men do feel they should get the "extras". And men are so much stronger than women that they could overpower us very easily.

It's a real shame that as always the minority spoil it for all. I have turned away a lot of male business which is such a shame, but I am also honest and say it's just due to a personal safety issue as I work from home and they do understand. After all I am sure they would feel the same if it was their girlfriend / wife performing treatments on strange men.

The main thing we have to deal with female clients is sometimes their stroppy attitude :lol: :green: :lol:

Easy for you to say though as you are in your salon, this girl is mobile and could be putting herself at risk, remember the estate agent that went to show a vendor round a property only to be abducted, I am not scaremongering, but I dont not think you can compare a mobile technicians fears of going to an unknown males house to dealing with a a black and white left handed catholic in your salon.:) this thread has not been started to have a dig at any gender, so why let it become that.:hug:

jac, i reiterated, so please don't quote me (and me alone), there are many things/people we fear, or don't understand (i also didn't mention gender in my post), my salon happens to be in a questionable location and have to be quick thinking at all times, i treat all clients alike, there are strange people in many guises, not only male (which seems to be mentioned often), after an attempt at being held up by a black woman brandishing a blood filled syringe, doesn't mean i treat all people who look the same as that particular woman, however, i have to be alert (as everyone should). There was a post in here before about protecting yourself and i commented about dousing someone with acetone, then chasing them with a lighter ........ many thought it was funny, well there is some truth to it, just because i am a man in a salon makes me no less a target. I prefer not to think of the darker side of what we do, where we are located, nor the situations we can get ourselves into. I MERELY STAY ALERT, AS WE ALL SHOULD. To a certain degree i understand a females fear of men (remember, i speak for 9 hours a day holding womens hands and they often spill about their experiences with men) BUT...... if i had some particular fear that really meant something to me, i would reject any appointments that would place me in discomfort, IE; if i feared something happening with men, women, dogs, cats etc, i would not place myself in said situation.
Not based on sexism, racism or any other "ism", i'd base it on my own objection to exposing myself to "RISK".

jac, i reiterated, so please don't quote me (and me alone), there are many things/people we fear, or don't understand, my salon happens to be in a questionable location and have to be quick thinking at all times, i treat all clients alike, there are strange people in many guises, not only male (which seems to be mentioned often), after an attempt at being held up by a black woman brandishing a blood filled syringe, doesn't mean i treat all people who look the same as that particular woman, however, i have to be alert (as everyone should). There was a post in here before about protecting yourself and i commented about dousing someone with acetone, then chasing them with a lighter ........ many thought it was funny, well there is some truth to it, just because i am a man in a salon makes me no less a target. I prefer not to think of the darker side of what we do, where we are located, nor the situations we can get ourselves into. I MERELY STAY ALERT, AS WE ALL SHOULD. To a certain degree i understand a females fear of men (remember, i speak for 9 hours a day holding womens hands and they often spill about their experiences with men) BUT...... if i had some particular fear that really meant something to me, i would reject any appointments that would place me in discomfort, IE; if i feared something happening with men, women, dogs, cats etc, i would not place myself in said situation.
Not based on sexism, racism or any other "ism", i'd base it on my own objection to exposing myself to "RISK".

That's a very sensible point,one i think should we all consider to ensure our safety,wich is ultimately the most important thing,take care all x

Couldn't agree more Jac.Well said.

I've decided to only do men that I or my clients know which as people have said is sad but as you said its not worth the risk. xxxx

The man that asked me for "extras" is a collegue of one of my best and longest clients who happens to be a man, I guess you just dont know people behind closed doors, my client was totally shocked, embarassed and apologetic about what happened and well i think their "friendship" has been tainted now.
I def wouldent do male clients if i were mobile

I have got 3 male clients, one is a mate and one I have had for about 3 years now, he was introduced via a friend and at the start she turned up, and I also made sure my husband was in the house, but as he has been coming to me now for so long, I dont need to worry any more.

I know it is really tough trying to decide, weather to take the business or not, but I just make sure that my husband will be around when any new male clients arrive, (usually evening) I also get him to answer the door, so then they know that he is here.

I suppose from the start you have to decide weather or not you are happy doing male clients, I think if I was mobile, then I would feel uneasy about going to their house on my own

Latest posts

Back