Gentle Reminder Please Geeks.............

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am one of those peeps who can,t spell for england... sorry guys..(I spell as I say it)

My puntuation is complete crap,

My fingers can press the wrong buttons and then nothing makes any sence at all,

But I love this site and the people that I have made friends with, and I believe that if i make these mistakes my friends will battle through it whatever.

I have to admit though i do tend to put in brackets if i have done any of the above and take the mikky out of myself first.

I really do try my best with spelling but sorry its not something that comes very natural to me, and as for spell check.... how do you load anything like that on here:irked::irked::irked:

But i do luuvvvveeee you all, am i forgiven:Love::Love::Love:

Of course you're forgiven - nothing to forgive :hug: !!!! You fall into the category of 'tries very hard, and makes sense' as well as the 'puts posts into paragraphs' category, lol!!!! It's the 'can't be bothered with spelling or paragraphs and I love txt talk' category that get on my pip.....!!!

Ok?

I am one of those peeps who can,t spell for england... sorry guys..(I spell as I say it)

My puntuation is complete crap,

My fingers can press the wrong buttons and then nothing makes any sence at all,

But I love this site and the people that I have made friends with, and I believe that if i make these mistakes my friends will battle through it whatever.

I have to admit though i do tend to put in brackets if i have done any of the above and take the mikky out of myself first.

I really do try my best with spelling but sorry its not something that comes very natural to me, and as for spell check.... how do you load anything like that on here:irked::irked::irked:

But i do luuvvvveeee you all, am i forgiven:Love::Love::Love:

I never have any trouble reading your posts, so nothing to forgive. :hug: There may be a few spelling mistakes, but your posts are well set out for anyone to understand.

As Vetty said, you make the effort. It's the people who don't read through their post before submitting or use text speak that can be difficult to comprehend.

Oh, and we love you too, you silly sausage. :Love:

This is a site for sharing of professional knowledge and personally I think it is disrespectful to Sam (who owns the site) and the mods who have to sort out bad posts.
Although I understand where you are coming from ~that is part of the MOD's tasks here. :) And sometimes, everyone is sooo well behaved that there is really nothing to do.:sad: Which, don't get me wrong is nice. LOL.

it is a paragraf where there is no attempt 2 use any punctuationor full stops n commas.this includes lack of spacing n if i want 2 use a small i then i will.

This, I am sure you will agree, is an extreme. Do Not hesitate to report this kind of a post or a post that you find hard to read because of typos. The poster doesn't get nicked because of it. But it gives us (mods) a heads up that it needs correcting.

Jayne

I don't think that this is being picky or about making peeps feel paranoid. Granted, we all make mistakes. However, the following is not a mistake

it is a paragraf where there is no attempt 2 use any punctuationor full stops n commas.this includes lack of spacing n if i want 2 use a small i then i will

Sam asks that we do post correctly and not use text speak. Yes, there is a geek language which many of us use but it is an accepted geek language on this site. The above paragraph is not.

The above is a extreme example. And I totally agree that no one should be posting in that manner.
I can't even read and understand text talk. :D let alone talk it (type it)
But there were a few posts here that went on about the smallest of typos like:
"i" instead of "I"
granted it doesn't appear well written but it is such a small typo compared to text talk?:|

Just thought of another,when geeks put a capital letter at the beginning of every single word,why do they do that?
LOL, I do this at times but not on every single word. I do it to empathizes a word. Like, Do Not. To bring the point home without typing it out like DO NOT. Which can be considered yelling.

As Jac Extreme mentioned, it is lazy and rude. This is a site for sharing of professional knowledge and personally I think it is disrespectful to Sam (who owns the site) and the mods who have to sort out bad posts.
I only said that about text talk, nothing else.

I only said that about text talk, nothing else.

Thank you for clarification there Jac :hug:

I think this post has been covered many times, or is it for the benefit of the newbie Geeks?

There is NO excuse for text talk... it is rude and it is ignorant and it is totally unacceptable on a public forum, however, slight typo's and a few spelling mistakes are acceptable.

If someone THINKS they are spelling a word correctly, then why would they use a spellchecker? My husband is unbelievable at sending emails. He can't spell, he can't punctuate and he can't distinguish between where/were/we're and so on.... you know what I mean? He KNOWS what he wants to say and he has lovely handwriting... but sadly, if he were on the SalonGeek... he would probably be quite upset reading the original post. A spellchecker is only good for him in some cases... other times, he believes he has spelt the word correctly.

I apologies if this has any errors in it... but I honestly don't know where the spellchecker is :lol:

I apologies if this has any errors in it... but I honestly don't know where the spellchecker is :lol:

LOL nope no errors!! :Grope:
I use firefox browser and it has a built in spell checker.
I am not totally sure if Sam has a built in spell checker on here.

But sometimes....I have to go to the bottom and go to Preview Post which will show any misspelled words.

It really must be so difficult to make head or tail of a post where all the words are stuck together with no punctuationcapitalsorparagraphs:eek: . We have loads of knowledgable geeks on this site. If English is not their first language they probably miss the posts where great advice can be shared.
I think that example is taking things to the extreme.

Come on guys.. lighten up... you are going to be giving people 'post paranoia' lol!!!
I couldn't agree more!

My husband is a highly skilled tradesman, he's been in his line of work for over 20 years, he has an excellent reputation and gets most of his work by recommendation BUT he can't spell for love nor money, it's not one of his strong points... HOWEVER, he has a lot of other strong points, he can hang wallpaper like you've never seen, he can paint intricate areas in record breaking time without making a mess, he can tile a floor/wall to perfection and he kicks azz with mathematics.

The point I'm trying to make is that we all have areas of strength and weakness, let's try not to make a point of alienating our members from posting just because their strong point isn't spelling or grammar, otherwise we could be missing the input and advice from someone with many years experience who just happens not to be too hot with spelling and/or grammar.

The point I'm trying to make is that we all have areas of strength and weakness, let's try not to make a point of alienating our members from posting just because their strong point isn't spelling or grammar, otherwise we could be missing the input and advice from someone with many years experience who just happens not to be too hot with spelling and/or grammar.

Very well put Sandi.

I know what you mean... I felt like I had to apologise for my husbands poor Grammar etc... but he is so good at other things...

.. I will never forget the dyslexic lad I went to school with.. who got bullied and teased.. getting better GCSE results than anyone in our whole year!!

Well I'm inpressed. No realy I am, do you realise we have 4 pages of discusion, and not a single geek has got the hump and acused another geek of having a personal go at them.
Now it wasn't that long ago that I stoped comeing on here just because I got so fed up of all the back biteing that was going on.
So give yourselves a huge pat on the back geeks, the real nail geek, sorry Sam, Salon geek site that I know and love is back.
Oh and on topic, I don't like text talk either, and I know how bad my spelling is, so I always try to be careful so that for thoughs of you for whom English is not the mother toungue, you stand half a chance of understanding what I'm rabbiting on about.
yep, go us:):hug:

I don't think that this is being picky or about making peeps feel paranoid. Granted, we all make mistakes. However, the following is not a mistake

it is a paragraf where there is no attempt 2 use any punctuationor full stops n commas.this includes lack of spacing n if i want 2 use a small i then i will

Sam asks that we do post correctly and not use text speak. Yes, there is a geek language which many of us use but it is an accepted geek language on this site. The above paragraph is not.

I agree with Sandi that this is extreme.
I have never seen quotations like this on here.

Anyway, even if there were it really is nothing major. I can read that paragraf perfectly well.

Time to take a chill pill. lol:)

I agree with Sandi that this is extreme.
I have never seen quotations like this on here.

Anyway, even if there were it really is nothing major. I can read that paragraf perfectly well.

Time to take a chill pill. lol:)

That particular comment actually makes less sense than some of the questionable statements on badly written threads... considering punctuation WAS used :green:

Although I understand where you are coming from ~that is part of the MOD's tasks here. :) And sometimes, everyone is sooo well behaved that there is really nothing to do.:sad: Which, don't get me wrong is nice. LOL.

This, I am sure you will agree, is an extreme. Do Not hesitate to report this kind of a post or a post that you find hard to read because of typos. The poster doesn't get nicked because of it. But it gives us (mods) a heads up that it needs correcting.

Jayne
JDs, I saw an initial post on here yesterday which just about did my head in and was worse than my example. The mods have often mentioned that they are forever always having to sort out bad posts and that it does their head heads in many times too.

With all respect to you, yes, this may be a mods task, but you are new here as a mod. Perhaps in time you will start to become frustrated. Please don't be offended by my comments. I am just expressing how I feel and this is my opinion.

I did not report the post because I didn't realize one could report a post for poor grammer, spelling etc. What's more, I realize that the mods are very busy and would not wish to add to their work load. Also, I don't even recall who the poster was. I gave up reading the post! It was that bad.

This is my final post in this thread. I feel I have put across my points of view and some geeks have put across theirs. Thank you all.

JDs, I saw an initial post on here yesterday which just about did my head in and was worse than my example. The mods have often mentioned that they are forever always having to sort out bad posts and that it does their head heads in many times too.
Bad posts and bad spelling are two completely different things. Yes sometimes we are over run with threads/posts that need moderation and yes sometimes it does do our heads in BUT that's part of what we do here, it doesn't always mean we have to like it.

With all respect to you, yes, this may be a mods task, but you are new here as a mod. Perhaps in time you will start to become frustrated. Please don't be offended by my comments. I am just expressing how I feel and this is my opinion.
Jayne has been / still is a moderator on another forum and regardless as to whether she's new here or not doesn't mean she doesn't understand how it all works here!

I did not report the post because I didn't realize one could report a post for poor grammer, spelling etc. What's more, I realize that the mods are very busy and would not wish to add to their work load. Also, I don't even recall who the poster was. I gave up reading the post! It was that bad.
Yes sometimes we are very busy editing thread titles (so the search engine picks up keywords) and we try our best to sort out posts that need paragraphs/punctuation for easier reading.
More often that not we're busy in our non-geek lives too and don't have the time to read every single thread/post (even though there's 8 of us!), so by a few of you pm'ing, pagering or reporting threads/posts that require serious moderating
it helps us to help you.

This is my final post in this thread. I feel I have put across my points of view and some geeks have put across theirs. Thank you all.
I think sometimes these kinds of threads can give a negative view of something that irritates a smaller minority than we originally think. Yes ofcourse it's fine for us to have our say but what we need to remember is that when we broach subjects like this we do infact alienate a great number of posters who would otherwise post but then become very conscious of the way they type/write and then don't bother anymore for fear of sparking another thread of a similar kind.

I hope you see where I'm coming from ;)

that happens when you leave the caps on, not intentionally type a capital for every word..lol
No I dont mean that Jac,lol.I mean when some people use a capital letter at the start Of Each Word Like This,I Dont Know Why They Do This For The Life Of Me Seems Like Toooooo Much Effort,Lol.:)

No I dont mean that Jac,lol.I mean when some people use a capital letter at the start Of Each Word Like This,I Dont Know Why They Do This For The Life Of Me Seems Like Toooooo Much Effort,Lol.:)
NO I KNOW WHAT YOU MEAN, BUT SOMETIMES WHEN YOU TYPE IN CAPS ONLY THE FIRST LETTER OF EACH WORD COMES OUT THAT WAY:) :)

NO I KNOW WHAT YOU MEAN, BUT SOMETIMES WHEN YOU TYPE IN CAPS ONLY THE FIRST LETTER OF EACH WORD COMES OUT THAT WAY:) :)
Hmmm obviously not this time.....
but that has happened to me before.:eek: honest

I have been reading this thread and although annoying, some things are best ignored.
I'd rather someone had poor spelling than cr*p training tbh.

Amazing !!!

We've had some of the most offensive threads that I've ever seen on here recently (properganda about the Holocaust & British Troops) and nobody says a word. However, somebody drops a comma and they get pounced on.

Big deal. My English is excellent but I'd never dream of judging somebody on their ability to spell. All this will do is stop people posting at all. Some of the most intelligent people in the world are unable to spell.

This reminds me of the old Victoria Woods joke: A couple on a train start having wild sex and nobody says a word. When they relax back in their seats and light a fag, the man opposite says "Excuse me but this is a non smoking compartment".

Hmmm obviously not this time.....
but that has happened to me before.:eek: honest

Have another wine..that'll do the trick:)
It Works For Me Honest:lol:

Latest posts

Back