Hard skin removal on feet!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crystaltash

Reaction score
Hi all.
Just wondering when in your pedicure you carry out hard skin removal? Before or after soaking? And what do you do it with? I'm putting on a callus remover gel, letting it set for 5 mins and then use a footfile. i do this beofre soaking, but it's not terribly effective! Any suggestions?

Love love love

To be honest there is only so much you can do for some peoples feet at one pedicure they could almost do with a kango.
Do as much as you can but advise plenty of aftercare lots of cream especially at night and under cotton socks if they can bare wearing them in bed.

Hi,
I use Creative Spa Pedicure for my pedicures and I soak feet first and exfoliate legs and feet and then use the sea serum which I leave on for a short while and then I use the foot file. My clients with dry skin are always really impressed and quite often book for their next pedicure to keep their feet in good condition.
Just about to give myself one (never seem to have the time to do it myself) lol!!

I use Pedikure. It's fantastic! You soak the lotion on some cotton wool pads and cover the area for ten minutes, using cling film.

The lotion solidifies and after 10 minutes you scrap the feet using the plastic spatula that comes with the kit. (the scraping doesn't hurt one bit - it's more ticklish than anything!)

A quick rinse and massage with their foot lotion and you're done! It's brilliant!! You can't use it on cracked or sore skin but it works a dream. I used it on a friend who has always had hard skin on her heels and after three treatments, she had feet that looked as though she filed and moisturised everyday since childhood! :eek:

Everyone I've used this on (me included!) loves seeing the scrapings - instant results and that weird fascination with seeing something that's actually pretty gross!

Once that's done I recommend that people lightly file their feet every couple of days or so (more if needed/ in summer and when wearing sandals) and moisturise daily.

I really rate this product!
xLx

I have tried both before and after soaking to remove hard skin.

I have found the most effective is to use a footfile on the hard skin before soaking to get the thick hard skin smoothed down.

I then use sea serum during the pedicure to get the last traces of hard skin - I use a electric foot file (the Jessica filing machine is still going strong).

Microplane - the BEST foot file in the whole wide world.

Google it, but they can be found on HQ Hair I think. (they come from Germany and I think that's the only UK stockist)

Can be used pre or post soaking and works like a dream.

I soak the feet first, do cuticle work, file nails on one foot and apply Callus Eliminator to that foot. I've found that by the time I've done the second foot, the first is ready to be scraped / rasped / grated....:irked:
I then proceed with the exfoliation bit, moisturiser, heated bootees, massage & then (eventually) the enamel.
HTHs

i think the effectiveness of the removal can depend on the foot loofer you use, the sand paper type r rubbish as they blocked up!!!
you need one like a grater with holes in!!!!
soak 1st, file, cuticle work and add softening cream,
switch foot and do the same,
then switch back for skin removal,
i would usually use a razor blade on bad hard skin to save work, then buff up with loofer after....
proceed with massage and polish xxx

Microplane - the BEST foot file in the whole wide world.

Google it, but they can be found on HQ Hair I think. (they come from Germany and I think that's the only UK stockist)

Can be used pre or post soaking and works like a dream.

Very interested in this file but have always stayed away from metal ones in the past. Its it also effective if someone only has a thin layer of hard skin or is it too strong for that?:hug:

i think the effectiveness of the removal can depend on the foot loofer you use, the sand paper type r rubbish as they blocked up!!!
i would usually use a razor blade on bad hard skin to save work, then buff up with loofer after....are you 'avin a laugh:!:
what textbook or course do you get that from?

Well I recommend perfoming microdermabrasion on those areas, it is far more hygenic than using a metal foot rasp (cheese grater), its hard to get the skin out of those!!! Also..alot of chiropodists use blades to remove dead skin? i dont think this is a bad thing...as long as you dont cut too deep!! xxx

maybe I'm totally out of it (I'm a nail tech after all)

but in my pedi course we got taught that it was a medical act to cut the skin with a blade...

and I for one would NEVER ever do that, too scared to harm the client if he/she moves suddenly...

and in fact the products I traned with are softening the skin enough not to need a blade...

Well I recommend perfoming microdermabrasion on those areas, it is far more hygenic than using a metal foot rasp (cheese grater), its hard to get the skin out of those!!! Also..alot of chiropodists use blades to remove dead skin? i dont think this is a bad thing...as long as you dont cut too deep!! xxx

Difference is Chiropodists/Podiatrists are trained to use a blade, Pedicurists are not. Also, I think our insurance would not cover us performing something that is more of a medical procedure........ It's not a bad thing is it's done by the right person.

yes as part of a chiropody or podiatry appointment - not as part of a pedicure!

I do Danne Montague King Medi-Pedis, its an alkaline solution that eats away the dead skin it removes corns calluses verucas etc its got massive tv magazine coverage in ireland and thers an excellent callous cream that is applied after and also can be purachesed as homecare:hug:

I use the Orange Heel Peel (you'll find a few threads on it on here) and also the OPI foot file which I really rate. I find the foot file works best before soaking.

I also do the Orange Heel Peel before soaking as it seems to remove more dry skin, plus I like to make sure the product has been completely removed from the skin by soaking the feet in the footspa afterwards.

HTH! x

i would usually use a razor blade on bad hard skin to save work, then buff up with loofer after....

Oh my life! This is SO dangerous! Does your insurance company know you do this?
:eek:

I find hard skin is removed more easily by soaking the feet first! Also, I use a foot file which I spritz - only a tiny amount- with antibacterial Spray before using, I find this gets more skin off!!

what textbook or course do you get that from?

what? are you telling me you've never used a pedicure razor?????
widely available in all whole salers!!!!!
and the solution to all hard skin!
p.s didnt get it from a txt book, trained in it at college!!!!!

Latest posts

Back