Has anyone started charging less for Minx services?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seraphine

Reaction score
I started doing Minx about 3 years ago, and have always charged £25. Lately, I'm starting to hear "through the grapevine" that some of my clients think my prices are high when they can get them done in several local places for £15. A client told my best friend (they are also friends) that she likes me and wants to keep coming to me, but wonders why my prices are so much higher.

I can't guarantee that the other places are using genuine Minx, and I know I'm doing a good application because I've got a good return rate and get good wear out of them myself. But if they are offering Minx, and their rates are that much less, should I be cutting my price? (even if I label it as a "summer special")

We frequently have this discussion when posters here talk about dropping their acrylic prices down to £10-15. I wouldn't consider dropping my acrylic price, but it feels different for Minx (maybe because it's not as time consuming?)

if anyone else is experiencing this with so many salons offering Minx at a cheaper rate? Has anyone dropped their prices because of it?

Thoughts?

I started doing Minx about 3 years ago, and have always charged £25. Lately, I'm starting to hear "through the grapevine" that some of my clients think my prices are high when they can get them done in several local places for £15. A client told my best friend (they are also friends) that she likes me and wants to keep coming to me, but wonders why my prices are so much higher.

I can't guarantee that the other places are using genuine Minx, and I know I'm doing a good application because I've got a good return rate and get good wear out of them myself. But if they are offering Minx, and their rates are that much less, should I be cutting my price? (even if I label it as a "summer special")

We frequently have this discussion when posters here talk about dropping their acrylic prices down to £10-15. I wouldn't consider dropping my acrylic price, but it feels different for Minx (maybe because it's not as time consuming?)

if anyone else is experiencing this with so many salons offering Minx at a cheaper rate? Has anyone dropped their prices because of it?

Thoughts?
It's the only service I offer that I keep a check on other salon's prices. It's not like with L&P enhancements when you can be paying for the quality of your nails, this is the same product used by all and you can't really go wrong with it - so even going to the cheapest salon, it's likely to last as long as your's would.

I'd say to keep your price similar to other salons :)

I charge 20 pounds, and havent raised my prices since last year, I think now there are so many products offered similar that they have not lost their exclusivety, but people kind of know about them and there are other options for techs and clients. I am still doing loads of minx toes, they are still realy popular, and loads of people who had them last summer have come back this year, plus more! I always make sure that I use up every scrap of minx on the sheet too! x

Go down? You must be joking!! lol We've just put our price up from 28 to 30.00!! :green:

I think stick to your prices, and justify what you charge by providing a great service.

Techs charging £15 aren't earning enough to cover their time - or put an incredibly low value on their time. Don't get into a price war with them, ride it out.

I've been thinking this too...
I charge £25 for fingers and £30 for toes which includes a foot file... i'm thinking of going down to £22 for fingers and £26 for toes maybe?

I only do Minx to order, the customer chooses the design and I order it in specially for them. There is no way I would or could charge less than £25 as Minx is a premium product and costs me to order in and then the p&p so its not worth doing for less than that! xx

I only do Minx to order, the customer chooses the design and I order it in specially for them. There is no way I would or could charge less than £25 as Minx is a premium product and costs me to order in and then the p&p so its not worth doing for less than that! xx

That's an expensive way of doing it. I keep a wide range in stock, sometimes people book for a pedicure and then see my minx and want minx. Sometimes I get my minx from Ellison's that way it's p&p free. The design's they don't have I order in but I order a number of others to make it worth the p&p.

In my area minx is £15.00 to £20.00 a set on toes a couple of places are £25.00. I charge £18.00 and make a good profit. It only takes 30 minutes and I get 2 or 3 set's out of a sheet.

in my area its between 15-23 , i charge 20. and if they want a design that i dont stock, its 25 payable in advance.

I dont think you should put your prices down but maybe you could always do a summer package, bring a friend to be minxe dand you both pay xxxx for example. Thats a popular one in our salon and I d o it when am having a quiet week

tigi
xx

I charge £25 too. I have had a client before moaning it was too much and asking if she could get hold of some can i put them on cheaper! The ones she was talking about were trendy wraps. I personally don't like them and only stick to minx as i find they are the best. Also i don't think its very professional heating the other types with a hairdryer!! And to be honest they aren't that much cheaper than minx. So anyway i said i couldnt do them unless i used my products as that is what i trained in and i didnt like to use products Im not familiar with. She went elsewhere in the end!

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

I was thinking of raising mine!
This year for me Minx is getting busier then ever as many more people know about it than last year. I charge £25 at the moment and never had any complaint to me about price.
They last a long time and stay looking great, I think it great value.
In my opinion £15 is far too cheap and I wouldnt make enough profit for it to be worth my while.

I think that putting your prices down permanently is unnecessary. People are paying for your skills, your time and your knowledge and expertise. If you feel you really are losing business dramatically you might want to consider a temporary discount that will hopefully make people see why it is worth paying more for your service, or even better, you could think of a way of making your service stand out that doesn't cost you, a USP maybe? I think the best thing to do might be a bit of market research. Then you can find out exactly what people are offering for £15/£18, and you might realise that yes they are using Minx but they are missing something out of the prep, or using sub standard prep products, or something like that?

No way jose! I refuse to do this and from clients that have been to folk overing it for less they have been amazed at my process (and btw its a standard cleanse feet, file toenails, cuticle work scrubfresh, minx and a wee bit moisturiser) I was gobsmacked tbh! I think we should all unite and charge atleast £25, I hate people cheapening good quality products and their work :hug: xx

No way jose! I refuse to do this and from clients that have been to folk overing it for less they have been amazed at my process (and btw its a standard cleanse feet, file toenails, cuticle work scrubfresh, minx and a wee bit moisturiser) I was gobsmacked tbh! I think we should all unite and charge atleast £25, I hate people cheapening good quality products and their work :hug: xx

Smartest comment I've read all day!!

Amen!! Decent Minxers Unite!! :hug:

I have always charged £20 for feet and £25 for fingers.
At first, because I was one of the few places in the area to offer minx, I thought I was a little too cheap and considered putting the price up. However, as more salons around are now charging £20 (or in some cases less) I've left it at that.
For my catchment area, I think it's about right for the time involved - about 25mins.
I don't do much to the feet other than to prep the toenails themselves. I offer a spa pedicure or an express pedicure if a more thorough service is required.
HTHs

I charge £20.00 for minx on fingers or toes, but I mostly do toes. I certainly wouldn't charge any less even if the salon down the road was charging £10.00.:) Makes me mad when I hear of the rediculously low prices people are charging for nail and beauty treatments. Why?

I haven't read all the reply's but i charge £25 for Minx and im offering it has an 'offer of the Month' for £20 atm to get clients interested.

TBH i wouldn't do Minx for any less.
The sheets are quite pricey and your lucky if you can get two sets of big toes from one sheet. I cannot get a set out in under an hour even if i tried (maybe would if i didn't prep but i do)
And Minx appointments kills my back! Im also not very fond of applying the fidderly buggers! :)
So why would i want to charge less for so much work!

Shellac is popular in my business and i enjoy doing this treatment.

I charge £25 for fingers or toes.
I have been really quiet with Minx, (maybe it is because people are doing it or similar treatments for less) hopefully it will pick up more in summer.
I really dont think you should put your prices down, I agree with what others have said regarding doing offers with it, maybe something like; Minx toes & luxury pedicure for £X, saving £X or Minx fingers & toes for £X.

It was my understanding that Minx should be from £25, I know CND/ Minx cant make people charge from this price..... but I wish they could :lol::lol:

The salons charging £10 simply cannot be using genuine MINX, there would be no profit after buying the design, paying VAT and delivery on it. They must be using cheaper products and passing them off as Minx, pretty shocking!

Latest posts

Back