Hollywood, Brazilian waxing and STDs?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all, I will attend training for hollywood and brazilian waxing soon, i also landed a job at a salon where i will have to carry out this treatment on a regular basis. I'm fine with the appearance of fannies, nothing wrong with that it doesn't make me squeamish. But what does worry me is that person could have STDs and not tell you even if they fill out the consultation card they're not going to tell the truth even if they did have something!

Aren't there great risks with this? Obviously if you wear gloves you can get sticky and stuck together, gloves are a pain and when I've had mine done i've never seen any therapist wear gloves. How can I be safe in the future? How do I know NOT to wax that persons privates? The way they do it at the salon i'll be working at are knickers completely off bearing all - yes it does give the therapist a chance to get everything off but then your hands are ON that. I sound like a total amature but I'm just starting out with this and wanna know what the professionals think! :D

Hi all, I will attend training for hollywood and brazilian waxing soon, i also landed a job at a salon where i will have to carry out this treatment on a regular basis. I'm fine with the appearance of fannies, nothing wrong with that it doesn't make me squeamish. But what does worry me is that person could have STDs and not tell you even if they fill out the consultation card they're not going to tell the truth even if they did have something!

Aren't there great risks with this? Obviously if you wear gloves you can get sticky and stuck together, gloves are a pain and when I've had mine done i've never seen any therapist wear gloves. How can I be safe in the future? How do I know NOT to wax that persons privates? The way they do it at the salon i'll be working at are knickers completely off bearing all - yes it does give the therapist a chance to get everything off but then your hands are ON that. I sound like a total amature but I'm just starting out with this and wanna know what the professionals think! :D

I always wear gloves and would be very shocked if I went somewhere for this treament and the therapist didn't wear gloves. I'm not a doctor but I don't think it's very likely that you would catch and STD from waxing someone.

Thanks for your reply.

When you first started intimate waxing with gloves did you get sticky and all stuck together? I remember training in bikini waxing i got very sticky and frustrated!

Any STD you can catch through touch would be skin born that means probably a) visible and b) painful!! Brave client that would be!!!

I suppose it could be possible, but then it's possible to catch a cold sore from performing a facial or impetigo from waxing legs. A lot of infections are contagious before they're visible so it's just something we have to get on with. I know that probably doesn't help though sorry : o

When you wear your gloves you rub them with some oil and buy gloves that fit your hands. I cant not wear gloves even doing legs I prefer with gloves on x

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

Hi Spa Therapist thanks for your reply, yes i guess you're right and it wouldn't stop me from doing the treatment, i want to be very good at waxing but it was something on my mind that worried me. I suppose we do have to get on with it and hope for the best!

You shouldn't really even have to think whether or not the client has told you the truth or not my darling as your salon hygiene should cover you for everything. The client may have an STD that they don't even know about so it is up to us, as professionals, to make sure everyone is protected. We don't need to be hysterical about it just a basic standard of good practice is all we need to tackle those fannies with ease!

I will be honest, I hate gloves, but I do wear them for intimate waxing and as already said above, if you apply a small amount of oil to your gloved hands you will not get in any sticky mess. :biggrin:

I spent years avoiding intimate waxing. Never did it or had it done. F*****s scared the living daylights out of me (Other people's - not mine lol) . Then I took a deep breath and trained in intimate and the confidence and peace of mind those gloves gives me!!!!! I would not want to touch someone's bits without them and I certainly wouldn't want mine touched. I now love intimates and I love fannies. Love making them look good and my lovely clients telling me how great it feels. STILL haven't had mine done tho!
As for the stickiness it has never been a problem. As has been said a little oil works great.

Vicki x

Last edited by a moderator:
You should always wear gloves for waxing especially intimate areas!! Its just good practise, if i went into a salon where they didn't use gloves I would walk straight out of there!!

I use vinyl gloves and don't really get the whole sticky thing as using hot wax for the intimate wax, I only get a bit sticky if using strip wax for the larger areas like legs but I just touch the oil a little and it's all good :) xx

I started wearing gloves about 6 to 9 months ago having never worn them.

I wear vinyl gloves and after about 3 minutes they mould themselves to your skin so it feels as if you are not wearing them at all.

I wear them for all waxing except facial wax and I wear them for my own reason.

I would be a bit upset if a therapist touched my VJJ without gloves :( just like if a dr or nurse did a procedure down there without them.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Thanks for your reply.

When you first started intimate waxing with gloves did you get sticky and all stuck together? I remember training in bikini waxing i got very sticky and frustrated!

You won't get in an icky sticky mess if you use non strip wax:)

Sent from my GT-I8190N using SalonGeek mobile app

You won't get in an icky sticky mess if you use non strip wax:)

Sent from my GT-I8190N using SalonGeek mobile app

Lol I've just started doing intimate waxing with hot wax again and I manage to make a great mess of it on my gloves... Apparently regulations here have been loosened and we are not required to wear gloves but I couldn't imagine doing an intimate wax without them.

Back to std's though, I do remember having to get a hep c shot when I did my wax training...

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

Lol I've just started doing intimate waxing with hot wax again and I manage to make a great mess of it on my gloves... Apparently regulations here have been loosened and we are not required to wear gloves but I couldn't imagine doing an intimate wax without them.

Back to std's though, I do remember having to get a hep c shot when I did my wax training...

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

This is not true, in Australia gloves are required for ALL waxing as it is deemed a Skin Penetration Act. I had the Environmental Health Officer out for my annual inspection two weeks ago and one of the first things he looked for were my disposable gloves.

I think the likelihood of std is low but never say never. Vinyl gloves are more expensive but better I been therapist for years and over exposure can cause issues long term so just bite bullet and wear them !
Also makes clients happier to see hygiene practices carried out.

Beauty at your finger tips!

I use gloves but my problem is the flicking up of the hot wax with them on I find it a nightmare - any tips?

I wear gloves for any intimate/bikini & underarm waxing. I hate them with a passion, but I hate the thought of not wearing them for such areas even more! I use hot wax too & don't have issues with sticky mess, I just get really sweaty hands and... Yuk! I personally don't see the need to wear them with legs as I use a roller for that. I also wouldn't wear them for facial waxing unless a skin condition dictated.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using SalonGeek mobile app

I use gloves but my problem is the flicking up of the hot wax with them on I find it a nightmare - any tips?

I keep my spatula attached to the wax once applied and so use this to remove the wax, I've never had any problems using this method & my clients can then see the whole lot go in the bin & know there's no double dipping!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using SalonGeek mobile app

Latest posts

Back