Home based geeks, Some advice?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Violet Star

Reaction score
Hi,

Those who are homebased what room do you provide your beauty treatments? Do you have a whole room just for beauty?
I am home based/mobile but provide my treatments in my bedroom as its huge. I just think it doesnt look professional.

I want to rent a beauty room but worried incase it goes wrong

Thanks x

Hi Violet

I have a spare room now which i converted. It's small but idea for me as i only do waxing. I do a few other treatments which i dont offer, however i am thinking about offering them and trying to persude (sp) daughter to change rooms as her is bigger.
Do you have a bed and wardrobe in your room. If so do you have a partician (sp) or something seperating them.
Someone said to me i should use my bedroom as its big and partician part of teh room of, which i'm anti doing

Last edited:
I thought you converted you garage into a beauty room

i use our old computer room,,, which was a junk room really,,,,,, I have it set up as a beauty room with my trolley and couch etc,,,,, it was a room never used so I found a use for it now,,,,, I think it's a bit small but it does the job and everyone say how lovely it is.

If you use a bedroom is it a room that is used or is it a spare room????

I did convert my garage i.e painted it but its freezing in there. So i dont use it.
The bedroom is my actual bedroom that i sleep in. Its always clean and tidy and its such a big room that i would be able to put up a stud wall but that costs £300 to do and i dont have that kind of money at the moment.

Cant think of anything cheap to partician it off with?

If i was you I would get some heating in that garage.....I am all for home based techs but i do think having a separate room is a must...using your bedroom IMO is just not right, its where you sleep..the yin and yang just ain't right...:lol:

What happened to your garage hun? x

If i was you I would get some heating in that garage.....I am all for home based techs but i do think having a separate room is a must...using your bedroom IMO is just not right, its where you sleep..the yin and yang just ain't right...:lol:

Im with bagpuss on this one I used to do it from my sittingroom but when I started offering things like spray tans and waxing I didnt feel it was appropriate so I converted my loft into a bedroom and moved into my down stairs bedroom its not very big but I can fit a desk, couch and have room to put up a tanning tent.

My clients love it as its homely and relaxing x:hug:

put a couple of halogen heaters in your garage and these will warm it up lovely.

i have two and i put them on about 20 mins before my first client of the day and they make my summer house really toasty! wilkinson sell them for around £12.50 each

xx

I'm going to convert my dining room to use as a beauty room. To be honest I wouldn't dream of using my bedroom for treatments, I think if I went somewhere advertised as a "Home Salon" I would expect a dedicated room and if I was taken to a bedroom, I'd turn right round and leave. If you don't have suitable space at home then why not look into renting space or offering a mobile service.

I'm going to convert my dining room to use as a beauty room. To be honest I wouldn't dream of using my bedroom for treatments, I think if I went somewhere advertised as a "Home Salon" I would expect a dedicated room and if I was taken to a bedroom, I'd turn right round and leave. If you don't have suitable space at home then why not look into renting space or offering a mobile service.

I'd do the same thing Lou.

Do as Jenny said and ger some heaters for your garage. Much more professional looking.

If it really isn't an option for you right now and your existing clients are happy and comfortable enough to use your bedroom then why not get yourself down to Home Bargains - they have gorgeous curtain poles in right now for £3.99 each - then just get some nice curtains or voile panels and use them to section your room off?

It is certainly catch 22 when you need the money to move properly but without clients, there is no money lol xxxx

I think whichever way you work, whether its from a salon, mobile or home is equally fine as long as its professional and gives you and the client a "salon environment".
I wouldnt want any client in my bedroom or lounge to do the treatment, in my opinion it has to be a separate room, even if its a tiny room that just fits the couch and a trolley...........and if i was a client i would not want to come into anybodys bedroom.

As you have the luxury of a garage - which many would envy you for - i would heat it and make it a cosy room....How perfect is that and how lucky are you to have such a huge room !!!!

Yes you are all right. I cant stand doing treatments in my room i feel 0% professional and again if i went to someone for a treatment i wouldnt want to go into their bedroom.
I do provide a mobile service also but some clients insist on coming to me.

The garage has now turned into a mess which needs a good cleaning. I already have one of those heaters would need to get another one. I think something needs doing to the walls in their cos they are brick walls. xx

I personally think bare brick walls can look fantastic and very stylish. If you can scrub them down and even just put a clear varnish on they can look fab, alternatively just painted with an outdoor emulsion will be great and with some clever lighting and some nice pictures on the walls it will look fantastic!!!

Yes you are all right. I cant stand doing treatments in my room i feel 0% professional and again if i went to someone for a treatment i wouldnt want to go into their bedroom.
I do provide a mobile service also but some clients insist on coming to me.

The garage has now turned into a mess which needs a good cleaning. I already have one of those heaters would need to get another one. I think something needs doing to the walls in their cos they are brick walls. xx

Hi

I would definately use your garage, have you had the garage done professionally, if so they should have used foil backed plasterboard and the ceiling should have been lagged to make it warmer. If they have done this, then you will need to have heaters or even have a radiator put out there if possible. Although this would cost money, it will be money worth spent.

Beauty rooms in your bedroom is definately not professional, and I wouldnt want strangers in my bedroom so im converting my conservatory at the moment to a salon, however I only do nails.

Definately go with the garage, far best option.

Abi

Actually you are very right! At the moment they are bright pink so i think a new colour would be needed and like you said some outdoor emulsion would look good.

Do you think that the heaters will be enough to heat the room?
The floor is like pavement with some lino down. Do you think thats ok?
xx

You can put a heated blanket on the couch too this will make the client cosy. I do mobile in peoples houses and a few of them have the heating on low but I use cosy fleecy blankets and a heated blanket and they are still warm in their underwear (even if I am chilly!).

I would be inclined to buy some lino for the whole floor to smarten the area up (if it is not already fitted to the edges) as it will also make it nice and hygienic. :hug:

Update: After considering my garage as a salon i visited my local hair and nail salon and they have a room to rent for £80 per week. The room is a nice size.

Does this offer sound good?

Latest posts

Back