I love Salon Geek BUT...

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lol think its important to be "nice" and have manners.

Anyway no one has been "bitchy" towards me but I have seen it, thats all I have to say about it.

Hope you all have a lovely day.

xxx

I think an awful lot of it is down to interpretation, and perhaps one person's idea of "bitchy" is another person's idea of "forthright".

As a beginner myself I'm finding SG to be an absolutely brilliant resource, and it's taught me loads already. But if I were to ask a question and the tone of someone's answer was what I perceived to be - shall we say - a little short in tone, I'd first of all be very grateful that they'd taken the time and trouble to answer, and secondly question that maybe I'd asked a fairly obvious question in the first place. And if I STILL found their tone to be questionable - well hey, we're all grown-ups. It's an online forum, not the playground! ;)

I think the problem is people read to much into someone's reply. They see it completely different to how it was ment to sound. But that what happens when you text or write on the computer.

Also I think a lot of the time geeks find them selfs repeating the same question so there response will be abit blunt (helpful at the same time :) )

Everyone has opinions and sometimes people should agree to disagree lol

I have see some posts were I thought the reply was a bit harsh but truthful.

Something that annoyed me on here is when geeks complain about people who do short courses, and some comments have really offended me. But apart from that I like salon geek and find it helpful lol x

When we post we have no facial expression, no inflection, no body language. We hear and see these in ourselves, as we type, but others cannot. It can make a massive difference to the perceived meaning behind the post.

I know I forget this, and maybe we all do at times.

I now appreciate the straightforward style of many Geeks, whom I originally found abrupt.

The only type of post I dislike is where something is hinted at darkly and there seems to be a sub-text going on.

The thing is there are geeks who think a differing opinion = bitchiness and in reality it doesn't. There is also the earth-shattering revelation that some of us are wrong/have had inadequate training/are not as good at their trade as others are....... ;)

I have been a member of Salongeek a long time (almost 8 years actually) and in that time I've seen very little genuine nastiness...... I've seen plenty of strong opinions, product bias, frustration at repeated questions as well as desire to help and educate, share techniques and new products, sacrificing time and giving knowledge freely to help others.

I think this site can divide people - it shows those who have a real desire to learn, be the best they can be and who recognise that they are not that yet. It also shows those who want to be told they're fab whilst looking to the cheap or quick solution :idea:.

If you feel you're being bitched at report it, the Mods are a brilliant bunch who keep salongeek running so smoothly...... :)

My own thoughts on things in general, not talking about any one post or comments here btw.

I have seen a few threads like this in the 6+ years I have been on here, so here is my take.

If someone who is very knowledgeable tells you something you may not want to hear it does not make them a bitch. If someone has a different opinion it doesn't make them a bitch.

However if someone comes on and lays into you personally, then heck yes report it if it is justified.

And I agree with Lyn of course there are people who are better than others. In some of the things I do I leave others standing and I am sure this is the same for many of the lovely geeks on here.

yes there are some geeks better than others....because they have spent years busting their a**es perfecting their trade,putting in the hours working, educating themselves, learning , bettering themselves, running their business and rearing a family in a lot of cases.

they give their time freely to SG because they want to HELP others who are only starting their journey,
they are still busy but taking the time to give direction to those who ask for it. they don't have to.

we can pick their brains for free.

we should appreciate that .

My own thoughts on things in general, not talking about any one post or comments here btw.

I have seen a few threads like this in the 6+ years I have been on here, so here is my take.

If someone who is very knowledgeable tells you something you may not want to hear it does not make them a bitch. If someone has a different opinion it doesn't make them a bitch.

However if someone comes on and lays into you personally, then heck yes report it if it is justified.

And I agree with Lyn of course there are people who are better than others. In some of the things I do I leave others standing and I am sure this is the same for many of the lovely geeks on here.

my thoughts exactly xXx

Sent from my GT-I9100P using SalonGeek

Quite a few of the posts on this thread are from geeks who have joined Salon Geek in the last 2 or 3 months.

If you started working for a business and had been there for the same period of time and complained about other people within that business how do you think you yourself would be perceived?

The new person in the business, maybe qualified in one single discipline, maybe doing it as a side line, and then coming into the workplace and bemoaning the fact that senior members of the workplace are harsh or stern or bitchy or belittling?

It is not the senior members of this site that need to check themselves!

It is not the members of this site with the knowledge and the experience that need to check themselves.

If you join this site and bring to it experience and knowledge and can demonstrate that, people will listen to you.

If you join this site with very little experience and very little industry knowledge and you want to learn learn learn - then you should take what is given to you and be thankful that these people can be bothered to help you. And to those of you who do have the grace to do this I applaud you.

If you join this site with very little experience and very little industry knowledge and want to tap into other peoples knowledge and experience base and are then perhaps ungracious enough to complain about the way it is delivered .. well maybe this isn't the site for you.

We need to accept that this isn't Facebook where we can moan and groan about how unfair life is. This is a professional site where you have access to some of the top people in our industry. When do you think in our everyday lives we would be able to ask a question to the likes of Geeg or Lynne Baker or Izzidoll or SheDunlop and Persianista to name just a few of the senior geeks on this site who have already responded on this thread?????

If you are genuinely insulted by another geek's response to you, PM them and deal with it in an adult manner. Advise the geek in question not to speak to you in that way again. And sort it out.

And if that is too personal, click on the report button as many have already advised and let the Mods deal with it. Which they will.

Peace and respect

Jacqui xx

Last edited:
I am very keen to hear the OPs response to all of this and your opinion. Because that is what I like about this forum, that we sometimes disagree and we're all sometimes put in our place. So I just want to know more as there is always two sides to every story.

Completely agree with you! Iv read quite a few comments on here that seem to put people down etc. I haven't been on here long, love salon geek and find it so useful but I wonder sometimes wether I should ask what I want to because a few people seem to make you out to be stupid. Everyone starts somewhere and has to learn and everyone gets things wrong. Xx

Well there seem to be a lot of geeks willing to jump in and criticise the answers given by experienced geeks, often these are geeks without as much experience within the particular industry represented and sometimes geeks who have no experience withing the particular subject area but want to 'join in' the general 'how dare she/he tell me what to do' response.
I for one would send flowers if I could to some of the great geeks who have bothered to answer my inane questions, i'm very experienced myself but lack knowledge in some areas and need advice, never have I recieved a comment that makes me feel belittled or stupid.
I lack confidence in my own ability and am easily given to bouts of self doubt, BUT this weekend having repaired 2 separate haircuts done by 'qualified stylists' i think i'm going to shout a bit more about what I know to be right.:cool:

Completely agree with you! Iv read quite a few comments on here that seem to put people down etc. I haven't been on here long, love salon geek and find it so useful but I wonder sometimes wether I should ask what I want to because a few people seem to make you out to be stupid. Everyone starts somewhere and has to learn and everyone gets things wrong. Xx

Hollie I've just had a look at the posts you have answered and the threads you have started and so far all is well for you and no one has made you look stupid.

You are clearly at the very beginning of your career in this industry and this site can really help you. And we want to help you.

But if you allow yourself to be swayed into this negative thought process that we are currently witnessing you are setting yourself up to fail before you have even got going.

You are the new girl on the block. Judging by your previous posts you have little actual experience. Sit back, use the search button and learn as much as you possibley can.

Then when you still have a question to ask, you will have a better understanding of what you really want to know instead of just asking a question off the top of your head.

And then no one will think you are stupid.

And you won't feel stupid.

There aren't really many stupid questions anyway if only geeks would just think about it for a minute before asking.

Be smart my lovely. Ask your questions and whatever the responses, stay polite with your own answers or gracefully just suck it up until you have gained the knowledge to respond.

When geeks asks questions which suggest trying to cut corners or do things on the cheap they are never going to get a good response. And then the person asking the question gets defensive and blames everyone else for being mean.

Ponder on how geeks who ask this type of question make themselves look.

Unprofessional is the answer.

And this site is for professionals.

Choose wisely. Be a professional. :wink2:

The way I look at it, if you feel someones putting you down, let them get on with it. We are all mature adults and if you feel like someone's lacking in the tact departments, be the better man and rise above it. Either that of respond with an answer so clever that the perpetrator cannot answer back.

If however you can't think of a answer that is clever and just to the offending post, then the offender may have a point and might just be lacking in the tact department. And if this is the case, PM them thanking them for their advice, but mention that it could have been delivered in a better way.

If however, it's just plain offensive, I'd suggest reporting it to the MOD's. If people never report the offensive posters then the offending posts will continue, just like crime will continue if not reported to the police.

I can only echo what most have said; if you are uncomfortable with a post then should you report it and let the team deal with it.

However, what a lot of newer members may not realise is the fact that we have the ability to connect with some of the best minds in the industry. These are people who have worked hard to hone their skills, and build their knowledge and experience over decades. We are extremely lucky to be able to pick their brains - and all for free! Of course these people want to help you, that's what they're here for but they do not want to see their craft devalued and they will not recommend that you take shortcuts when delivering a service. As has been touched upon, we live in an increasingly litigious society and it is important that we protect ourselves against this. Utilising the advice from said professionals is one way to do so, not by throwing their advice back in their face or getting upset if they don't just agree to what you suggest/ask - they won't agree if it's not appropriate. Because they want to help you succeed.

What ought also to be remembered is that the written word can be difficult to interpret. Sometimes it is easy to read far too much into a comment and be offended for no particular reason.

Anyone for a cup o' tea and a biscuit lmao.

I have nothing constructive to say lol.it's all ready been said in other posts buy the cream of the crop geeks :Love: xx

No offense but what purpose does a thread like this serve?

When I first happened upon SG a year ago, I had been in the industry since 1998 and no one could tell me I didn't know all there was to know. But I came looking for an answer to a question and the person who answered my question replied short, sweet and to the point...no fluff, no frills. Could it have been interpreted as bitchy? Perhaps. Instead, I left my ego at the door and did my research on the information she provided me. I also did my research on HER...the her being the esteemed Gigi Rouse.

What I learned is that I had a hell of a lot to learn. What I also learned is that there were a lot of talented professionals on this site willing to freely give of their time to provide their experience and expertise. I never made an assumption of their attitude because I'm smart enough to know not to read anything that isn't there into the written word. I'm also smart enough to have perused countless threads to get a feel for the individual personalities of my fellow geeks rather than jump to conclusions about any perceived attitudes or bitchiness.

Some say some of us are bitchy. I think perhaps those that say that may not have gotten the sugar coated answer all wrapped up with a pretty pink bow they were anticipating. We're professionals. If your feelings get hurt that easily, woman-up or get over yourself.

Some say we're "clique-y." We're a sisterhood. We have a great deal of respect for each other because we've taken the time to get to know each other. I for one will defend my SG sisters to the bitter end. I've grown very fond of several. Don't mess with them.

As in life, you get what you give. If you emit negativity, you draw negativity. Just sayin'.

In peace and goodwill.

Hollie I've just had a look at the posts you have answered and the threads you have started and so far all is well for you and no one has made you look stupid.

You are clearly at the very beginning of your career in this industry and this site can really help you. And we want to help you.

But if you allow yourself to be swayed into this negative thought process that we are currently witnessing you are setting yourself up to fail before you have even got going.

You are the new girl on the block. Judging by your previous posts you have little actual experience. Sit back, use the search button and learn as much as you possibley can.

Then when you still have a question to ask, you will have a better understanding of what you really want to know instead of just asking a question off the top of your head.

And then no one will think you are stupid.

And you won't feel stupid.

There aren't really many stupid questions anyway if only geeks would just think about it for a minute before asking.

Be smart my lovely. Ask your questions and whatever the responses, stay polite with your own answers or gracefully just suck it up until you have gained the knowledge to respond.

When geeks asks questions which suggest trying to cut corners or do things on the cheap they are never going to get a good response. And then the person asking the question gets defensive and blames everyone else for being mean.

Ponder on how geeks who ask this type of question make themselves look.

Unprofessional is the answer.

And this site is for professionals.

Choose wisely. Be a professional. :wink2:

I am a professional and I no I'm good at what I do. I maybe new to the site as a user but iv looked on here many times and seen people get criticised. That's just my opinion and as I said everyone makes mistakes - as do I. I appreciate there are plenty of very experienced and professional geeks on here and people come here to get advice, some people are very quick to jump on others. X

I dont think threads like this do any of us any good, i personally have looking back asked "silly" questions but have always had help, support and excllent advice, please remember we are all different and the way we say answers or ask questions may be so different to the next person and reading text you cant tell how things are said anyway, the amount of times ive took a text wrong off a friend or my boyfriend then asked them about it i was wrong, it was me taking things to heart or reading it wrong.
:Love:
x x

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back