i think i'm going to be sued.....

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Sodabubble I think it all seems fishy too ,
lots of people have been treated badly at some time or other in their lives by an employer,
you wont be the first or the last to be treated in such a shoddy way,

thats why the majority of people on here work for themselves ,

please don't let it knock your confidence ,
I wish you all the very best with your future which I am sure will excel once you are self employed

and please do not worry yourself about treatments as you are professionally qualified

this is why we pay our insurance
so they can handle any serious complaints .
most complaints are just silly and get nowhere fast

This article by Geeg may give you a bit more confidence x
http://www.salongeek.com/business/5...us-complaint.html?highlight=serious+complaint

Lots of hugs coming your way :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

and one for woody :hug: xxxxxxx

Last edited:
Soda, don't beat yourself up. If the lady thought you were rubbish she wouldn't have given you a tip and threw her arms around you. If she was qualified to judge why did she book twice if she thought you were rubbish! She sounds bonkers! Your employers are either too thick to realise she is bonkers or they are nasty pieces of work if they are making this up. Can you remember any conversations you had with this woman? Did you mention anything to her that you might want to leave or anything at all that might have got back to your employers?

Hope you go forward with your plan to go mobile! Don't let this petty behaviour from grown up women put you off!

Love Mrs Bean :green::) xxxxxxxx

P.S. I wouldn't fancy a massage off a landscape gardner anyway! Bet she got dirty finger nails! Bets she's all sweaty and smelly too!!!

Quite frankly, in this position I wouldn't be doubting myself as I know I'm good at what I do (the Dean assessed you) - I'd be furious at the underhanded tactics of your employer.

They were obviously trying to get rid of you and feel it's better on their conscience that you quit - even if they lied to get you to do it.

I'd be telling them that you have contacted trading standards and have no record of the complaint and demand an explanation.

When one door closes another opens and for the better - just think, if they can do this to you and leave you feeling like you want to chuck it in, it's not a good place to work at. What else are they capable of doing.

Don’t let the deviousness of someone undermine your confidence.

In this industry I look at it as there’s enough clients to go around – others view it as a cut-throat industry and will use underhanded tactics to get you out of business.

I've had one massage therapist I work with tell a client in front of me that he shouldn't come to me for waxing - he should get laser done - this is to a 16yo who wants his lower back waxed. BTW, her daughter just opened up a salon a few weeks ago - need I say anymore.

well i will be going into work soon, so will report back here this evening to let you know how it went - or they could show me the door as soon as I get there in which case i'll be reporting back this afternoon!
When I first started training, I thought all the girls on my course would be like me, and I was wrong about that, but when I entered industry I also thought that the pro's would be stikcing to the code of ethics like glue - I suppose I was very naive! I guess I just havent got that 'killer instinct' that some people have which enables them to say horrific things, or be wicked in any way. I wanted to be a therapist because I wanted to do something nice for people, and make them feel better about themselves, and I will not let that reason change.
Thanks for all of your kind words - i feel like I have a thousand big sisters sticking up for me lol!

Good luck with your shift later.:hug:

Personally, I wouldn't attempt to make contact with the client... tell your employer exactly what happened during her last two treatments and leave them to sort it out for you.

Try not to let it worry you, easier said than done though :hug:

I agree with this, anyway your employer should surely have liability insurance which should cover you, so it would be the salon which would be sued and not you personally.

Trish :hug:

well i will be going into work soon, so will report back here this evening to let you know how it went - or they could show me the door as soon as I get there in which case i'll be reporting back this afternoon!
When I first started training, I thought all the girls on my course would be like me, and I was wrong about that, but when I entered industry I also thought that the pro's would be stikcing to the code of ethics like glue - I suppose I was very naive! I guess I just havent got that 'killer instinct' that some people have which enables them to say horrific things, or be wicked in any way. I wanted to be a therapist because I wanted to do something nice for people, and make them feel better about themselves, and I will not let that reason change.
Thanks for all of your kind words - i feel like I have a thousand big sisters sticking up for me lol!

best of luck for today hun...you have all of our support xxxxx:hug:

Just as a add on, if you have the ladies phone number, I would ring her and ask her who she spoke to at trading standards re your complaint, only you would like to get all of this sorted...............Because I think this lady will say that she knows nothing about this, I think your employer has plucked her name out to use when they wanted to get you to quit. If I'm right, 1 you will gain a client for your mobile business and 2 you will have clear grounds to sue for constructive dismissal. and possibly defamation of character. Don't take it lying down hun. :hug:

This is exactly what I would do. I bet the client has no idea what has been going on.

I'm so sorry this has happened to you, but I promise you, you will move on from this to start something even better. I'm not a huge believer in destiny, but maybe it's time for you to go mobile now.

Just as a add on, if you have the ladies phone number, I would ring her and ask her who she spoke to at trading standards re your complaint, only you would like to get all of this sorted...............Because I think this lady will say that she knows nothing about this, I think your employer has plucked her name out to use when they wanted to get you to quit. If I'm right, 1 you will gain a client for your mobile business and 2 you will have clear grounds to sue for constructive dismissal. and possibly defamation of character. Don't take it lying down hun. :hug:

Can you still sue for constructive dismissal then if you handed in your notice? I'm sure sodabubble said earlier in the thread that she handed in her notice there and then.

Can you still sue for constructive dismissal then if you handed in your notice? I'm sure sodabubble said earlier in the thread that she handed in her notice there and then.

Constructive dismissal is when you have resigned due to pressure from when you were working there so it is for people that have resigned: In employment law, constructive dismissal, also called constructive discharge, is where an employee resigns due to their employer's behaviour. The employee must prove that the behaviour was unfair -- that the employer's actions amounted to a fundamental breach of contract or the law.

HTH

Thanks Theresa! Its all clearer now!

Hi Sodabubble, I really wish I could offer you some constructive advice but I don't know anything really about such matters. Sounds to me like you are a very diligent and caring therapist who should have no trouble in building up some loyal and genuine clients of her own. Sending you a big hug, hope the situation gets resolved and that it's all over for you very soon. :hug:

thank you so much everyone! well i was nervous going to work today, but the 'incident' was barely mentioned! I just told my bosses that I had contacted acas etc and that nothing could really come of it without witnesses, and that was pretty much it! We soreted out my hours, and agreed to do a half- day tomorrow, normal hours on saturday, and another half day next friday, and that will be it!
called in at the printers on the way home to order my flyers. I am now feeling much more positive about the future, and I really wanted to thank you all for being so supportive. I maybe will never know if this was a planned attack or just some crazy woman being crazy, but sometimes I guess it's best to cut your losses and hit the ground running!

thank you so much everyone! well i was nervous going to work today, but the 'incident' was barely mentioned! I just told my bosses that I had contacted acas etc and that nothing could really come of it without witnesses, and that was pretty much it! We soreted out my hours, and agreed to do a half- day tomorrow, normal hours on saturday, and another half day next friday, and that will be it!
called in at the printers on the way home to order my flyers. I am now feeling much more positive about the future, and I really wanted to thank you all for being so supportive. I maybe will never know if this was a planned attack or just some crazy woman being crazy, but sometimes I guess it's best to cut your losses and hit the ground running!

If I was you I would have it out with your employers cause I cant help but think they were behind this. How did they react when you told them you had phoned Trading Standards?

so you went back into the place that you handed your notice in? Have a missed the latest installment?

well hippy, i actually handed my notice in yesterday when i got the phone call from my employer, i panicked and was shocked and upset. i was due to go in today for a shift, which i did and it went ok. They didnt really say much when I told them I had rung trading standards, the incident was hardly mentioned.

well good on you for turning up! if you did decide to do anything about it, then at least you can say that you went back in and did the job.

its really bizarre behaviour. can you not get this 'gardener' client's details and ring her?

so how do you feel about your job being advertised?

How terrible for you:hug:
Now I may well be thinking along the wrong lines here but....
Are you 100 percent sure that this lady HAS complained to your employers?
Have you asked trading standards about this?
Have you had any problems with your employers and they may be looking for a way to make you hand in your notice without just cause?
It just seems strange that they are not backing you and advertising your job again so soon..or am I just suspicious here?

Exactly, theres something not quite right about this.

Does this woman actually work in the local area - is she a mobile? Is she just trying to slate the competition? Is there any written letters from trading standards for you to see or has it just been phonecalls? Anyone can phone up and pretend to be someone else. Are your employers just using excuses to get someone else in?

If you have a written and signed consultation sheet which proves she has lied before treatment then she hasn't got any grounds to sue anyone it will be thrown out of court. If she thinks you are a bad massager why did she come back for a second appointment? ?

I understand your gut reaction was to resign but If you haven't done it in writing hold fire a bit and maybe retract it until the full facts are known - if you got sacked you could actually of ended up claiming unfair dismissal. Your employers were a little hasty advertising your job weren't they, its all too suspicious to me It sounds like some sort of nasty scheme to me.:hug:

sorry i missed a page & a bit when I posted above but still I think its your employers dishonest underhand tactics not a real complaint.

Good luck soda hope you find a better place to work and dont let this ruin your confidence.

I think its very strange that there isn't any record of the telephone call from the client.

I would write it all down, what happened, ie) consulation,massage/text book, and take it in tommorrow. Then I would ask them to explain all what has happen up til now and write it all down. This way you have both sides of the story, if it goes any further.

good luck hun, chin up

Latest posts

Back