Industry Falsehood & Fallacy

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Apex73

Reaction score
Hi all :)

Do you find our industry is rife with falsehood & fallacy?
Practically everyday I hear another!

Last night I heard one from my waxing tutor.
We were all having a chat 'session' about differnt waxes, when we got onto hard, non-strip wax.
My tutor just closed her eyes, shook her head & said
"No. Its un-hygienic."
She was quite adamant about this, & informed us that therapists sometimes re-heat the used pieces, straining out the removed body-hair first. :irked:

I was also lucky enough to hear a tutor telling another student that she should remove her enhancements to let her nails breathe.
*sigh*

So, have you heard any good ones lately? :hug:

A lady I used to work with (Post Office, not industry) used to leave the half moons on the nails unpainted, I asked her why, thinking she liked the look, and was told it was to let the nails breathe when the polish was on :) she also bleaches (and I mean sticks her fingers in a bleach solution) her nails cos of all the different colours she wears. Odd woman lol

Last edited:
Hi all :)

Do you find our industry is rife with falsehood & fallacy?
Practically everyday I hear another!

Last night I heard one from my waxing tutor.
We were all having a chat 'session' about differnt waxes, when we got onto hard, non-strip wax.
My tutor just closed her eyes, shook her head & said
"No. Its un-hygienic."
She was quite adamant about this, & informed us that therapists sometimes re-heat the used pieces, straining out the removed body-hair first. :irked:

I was also lucky enough to hear a tutor telling another student that she should remove her enhancements to let her nails breathe.
*sigh*

So, have you heard any good ones lately? :hug:

That remark from your tutor goes to prove that she was trained back in the dark ages when hard wax was strained through a pair of tights to remove hairs etc so it could be reused,
but the very scary thing is that it also proves that she cant have had any up to date training or up to date knowledge of the waxing industry in 2009 :rolleyes:
and colleges wonder why they have a bad name :hug:

Thing is...if no-one ever puts them right they will continue with there rubbish....and i can imagine students "thinking" but not dare to question the tutor.

If i was a tutor and a student questioned something i said then i would feel it my duty to investigate and get back to her...not just give out the old "i know more than you cos i am a tutor"

Just because someone teaches something doesn't mean they are the best at it....i bet there are students who after being taught do a better job.

It goes to show how lucky we are to have access to the Geek site,
I have to admit, I didnt expect to feel 100% happy with my training, I knew what colleges could be like,
so I saw it as a reasonably good route into waxing.
(more training semi-booked for September with Kim :):):))

but I do feel for the girls on the course who have no access to a computer,
it means that for the time being they are stuck with the 'facts' they get taught. :(

Before I even took my L&P course, I was told rather firmly by my distributors not to question/correct the teacher if I felt/thought anything she said/did was wrong. I had to agree before they'd let me take the course.

I nearly turned purple a few times....:irked:

I was once called into the college managers office for 'questioning teaching methods and undermining the tutors authority' as I was a mature student and the young ones would 'listen to what you said'

All I did was ask why she wasn't wearing gloves for waxing to be told 'you don't need to for legs':eek:

whilst training a couple of years ago with britains best selling soak off gel, i asked why they put gel on first and then the tips. thinking it would be to help prevent possible damage when blending the tips, no said the tutor, its because nail adhesive is harmful to the natural nail:rolleyes:

i didnt pick her up on it as i knew she would be doing my assesment, but it did make me lose faith in the product and the tutor.

Ive come across allot of people with false information.

E.g The other day i asked if i could attend a pamper night which was being held in a hall to provide spay tanning she said oh no tanning is just for teenagers you wouldn't get much clientele for this.

And the amount of people Ive heard say Acrylics damage your nails is unreal!

I noticed more and more people saying acrylics damage your nails, there was a nail "expert" on QVC the other night (yeah when there is nothing on tv I watch QVC lol) showing some before and after pictures of the "damage acrylics cause" and what your nails could be like after using her "miracle" product, then her and the QVC presenter were bad mouthing enhanced nails saying "please please please never EVER wear acrylic nails, they are just SO bad for your nails"

btw straining wax to get the hairs out so it can be re-used... eeew:eek:

I've heard many times that acrylic nails are bad for natural nails!!

Latest I showed a tutor the CND online videotutorials, to show how little they had to finish file, she looked at it and said "a perfect example of woking with the wrong mix-ratio" I was almost slapping her, and couldn't help thinking that I had heard her complain a few times about bubbles in both her white and pink...

Some people just don't wanna learn or admit they could have picked up a few bad habbits...

Latest I showed a tutor the CND online videotutorials, to show how little they had to finish file, she looked at it and said "a perfect example of woking with the wrong mix-ratio" I was almost slapping her, and couldn't help thinking that I had heard her complain a few times about bubbles in both her white and pink...

Some people just don't wanna learn or admit they could have picked up a few bad habbits...

:rolleyes: As if CND would release a Video tutorial showing the wrong mix ratio !!

Now that would make allot of sense wouldn't it?

THE CND videos are the best in the business and the work is perfection.

Some people .. I don't know what it is but it is precisely this kind of comment that not only makes them look stupid, but helps them to loose all credibility.

I even heard a tale about a person at the Scottish show (member of this site actually) who said to a CND customer who was coming to see my demonstration .. "oh you don't want to bother with Minx they're crap!!" She just made herself look like an ass when so many technicians are making money using Minx and their clients are loving it and all the top celebrities are wearing Minx and loving them!! So silly.

:rolleyes: As if CND would release a Video tutorial showing the wrong mix ratio !!

Now that would make allot of sense wouldn't it?

THE CND videos are the best in the business and the work is perfection.

Some people .. I don't know what it is but it is precisely this kind of comment that not only makes them look stupid, but helps them to loose all credibility.

I even heard a tale about a person at the Scottish show (member of this site actually) who said to a CND customer who was coming to see my demonstration .. "oh you don't want to bother with Minx they're crap!!" She just made herself look like an ass when so many technicians are making money using Minx and their clients are loving it and all the top celebrities are wearing Minx and loving them!! So silly.

Gigi, I cannot agree more, but I have come to realise that these "critics" are their own worst enemies, they make themselves look like dafties and increase the interest in what they are rubbishing!

I have had so much business for Minx and am having to phone Heather on Monday to place another order for more, following me braving the puddles up here in flip flops! :lol:

Bring it on! :green:

Gigi, I cannot agree more, but I have come to realise that these "critics" are their own worst enemies, they make themselves look like dafties and increase the interest in what they are rubbishing!

I have had so much business for Minx and am having to phone Heather on Monday to place another order for more, following me braving the puddles up here in flip flops! :lol:

Bring it on! :green:

This is precisely the reason why I never react to this kind of comment even here on the site ... because these kind of people hang themselves without my help. :lol:

If someone said to me for instance, "CND is full of bubbles" (another myth, fallacy, falsehood and fable) I would think to myself, Hmmmmmmmmmmmm "now why would the worlds largest company for L&P sales have a product full of bubbles??" "Why would anyone buy it??" "Surely this info is not true?"
I certainly wouldn't take someone elses word on face value... especially the supplier of a rival brand!!
People who do these things ALWAYS have a personal reason and motive. 100% of the time In my life I have found out it is jealousy and trying to get money ... one or the other or both.

Last edited:
Why do so many people say CND is full of bubbles? It seems to be the main selling point when rival companies ring to sell me their brand. Shouldn't they be telling me about the benefits of their own products, not just rubbishing CND. The usual response when I tell sales-people I'm not interested is "Oh, you use creative. You should buy our product instead, we don't have air bubbles in it like creative."

:grr::grr::grr: CND does not get air bubbles in the product! Sorry, end of rant.

As for straining the hot wax, is it still legal to do this in other states/countrys? It is legal to do this where I live, though we were never shown how. Our tutuor told us how it is done, but strongly advised us against the practice. I don't personally know of any local salons doing this, but I'm sure it still happens in some.

yep, hence the fact I almost slapped her:green:

I have learned so much from those CND features and cannot remember the last time I had a bubble in my product. Actually yes I can; I was given a sample from one of those "we don't have bubbles companies" and because I was unsure about mix-ratio I did get bubbles:green:

I agree that come time those who make those statements will look like a fool in everybodys eyes, just think it's sad they convert a few people on their path.

Gigi: I couldn't believe the stupidity either, but come to think about it I have heard her saying minx was crap too, so you are so right, motive is probably to sell her own stuff!

Before I even took my L&P course, I was told rather firmly by my distributors not to question/correct the teacher if I felt/thought anything she said/did was wrong. I had to agree before they'd let me take the course.

I nearly turned purple a few times....:irked:

OK you can blame me :lol::lol::lol:

Don't get me started on this subject!!!!!

What makes it worse is that many of these 'experts' are writing the guidelines for the way that they say the rest of the UK therapists should be working to. Some of it is complete and utter rubbish that's been dragged out of the filing cabinet from 25 years ago.

I've always bucked the system and stood up for what I believe in and I really hope that you all do the same. Speak up for what you believe to be right. xx

Ive never had bubbles with CND thats rubbish! To prove a point the gel i used previously i had tons of bubbles since using CND no bubbles at all.

Latest posts

Back