It's back! Shming Shmong part deux!!! The revenge of the demon nails!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Love the ideas girls given me loads to think about!!

Here's my step by step for tip and overlay (wrap system)-

Sanitise hands with a squirt of toilet duck
Remove shine with cheese grater (the little hand held ones are best, I find the big ones remove skin too eeeek!)
Lemon Juice to cleanse and dehydrate
Use a chip fork as a tip and use a mixture of Weetabix and milk as adhesive
Blend with above grater
Apply thin layer of pritt stick
Lay a small piece of net curtain over the nail
Another layer of pritt stick
Buff with grater, then get your client to rub her nails on your outside wall, I find the mortar really smooths the nails a treat
Brush with egg white and put in oven for 5 mins to shine
Beef dripping to rehydrate cuticles

Works a treat!! And they look sooooo natural!

Ah the joys of the Dremel! Cuts your clients skin to shreds, but who cares, it all adds to the effect, gets right into those hard to get to deep side walls. I love my Dremel!

Hey CB I'm loving the net curtain idea! trouble is I don't have any, oh well don't think my neighbour will mind if I break in and use hers! Such ingenuity!

i've got the best money making idea yet.......get your client to watch you carefully when doing any of the techniques previously listed and the next time she comes back get her to do them herself while you sit with your feet up, a glass of wine and a good book to read....the best bit being is she still has to pay you for the nails seeing as she is using your flour, toothpaste....pollyfiller...etc :lol:

stanleyann

Sassy Hassy said:
Hey CB I'm loving the net curtain idea! trouble is I don't have any, oh well don't think my neighbour will mind if I break in and use hers! Such ingenuity!
I dont have any either... so grab me a peice while youre there, Sass.
While youre at it might as well check her cupboards too... theres some blooming ameteurs out there stocking up their cupboards & trying to pass the products off as for food usuage, tut! .... as if!

Well I have become fed up of spending all my hard earned money on gel products so good old fashioned clear or pink hair gel does the trick for me. You know the ones that set your hair hard. Sets in minutes if you put the nails under the dryer. For my whites I simply use a bit of Polly Filler...really keeps that French permenant.
Sanitise? Whats that? Now you have all pointed it out to me, Demestos all purpose cleaner should be fine.
Now as for files I find that a pan scourer works wonders, just don't rub too hard if blood makes you feel sqeamish, if not go for it! That gels gotta stick somehow.
Top gloss can easily be substuted with wood varnish!! Just look at the size of the tin, it will last absolutely ages!
Old Christmas tinsel can be cut up real small to be used as glitter, the colour runs off a bit when you put the varnish on top but just tell the client that it's all part of the look. Hell I will stick anything on to the nail to get a bit of cash. Mmmm, what else? Yes nail art paints. I have often made up my own using a bit of eyehshadow (there are sooo many colours) ground down with a bit of the gel and some water. The fact that the gel has been added keeps it long lasting.

I have loads more cheep alternatives...just drop me a line, I'llbe only to happy to help. x

Sassy Hassy said:
Ah the joys of the Dremel! Cuts your clients skin to shreds, but who cares, it all adds to the effect, gets right into those hard to get to deep side walls. I love my Dremel!
Yeah, have you tried that wirebrush attachment thingy... gets the shine off nails sooooo fast. Hell, im a bit lazy, i just keep going and strip the whole nail off, the exposed nails bed are so much easier to work on.
They also sell nifty first aid kits that are soooooo much better for stopping bleeding than bits of kitchen towel.

Globie and Sass....Im popping down to the tip today (brilliant place to find nail nick nacks!!) Ill pick up both up a couple of curtains.

Ah you're such a caring, sharing kind of person!

Oceana said:
Globie and Sass....Im popping down to the tip today (brilliant place to find nail nick nacks!!) Ill pick up both up a couple of curtains.
Ooh cheers CB ... while youre there check a few bags for an old loo brush will ya... cant find mine anywhere and I have a client wanting a pedi at 6:00!

:smack: Well, I am an L&P girl so for my Pink and whites I use Pink and White marshmallow. I cut them into little pieces and strategically place them on the nail, white in zone 1 and pink marshmallows in zone 1 and 2. then I zap them in the microwave slightly for them to melt and it all just falls into place. Great for marbling to, just get the coloured kind of marshmallows and melt then grab a marbling tool and bobs your uncle, one of a kind nail art!!!!. Great for custom blending, they have great coverage qualities being opaque and all. No need for the dog to chew them off, when you are hungry you nibble at them yourself. There, I have shared my secret with you all.
Cheers
xxxxxxxx:lol:

Well I have yet to do my training I have no clients at the moment, but this thread has given me the confidence to go out there and get things done. I now see its as easy as finding the things you need in your own home. I will be starting on real people today thanks to you all :eek: :green: just as soon as I get back from B&Q.

Bootsy said:
Well I have yet to do my training I have no clients at the moment, but this thread has given me the confidence to go out there and get things done. I now see its as easy as finding the things you need in your own home. I will be starting on real people today thanks to you all :eek: :green: just as soon as I get back from B&Q.
A BBQ, just the place to start, why wait till you get home, Tomato sauce and Mayo, perfect for a custom blend nail. Will Take about 24 hours to set though, unless you put the nail on the Barbie!!
xxxx

I go away for a couple of hours and what happens.......it's flippin well back.......YEAH!!!!!!

Now Sas, I thought we were going to keep our secrets secret????:irked:

Now you have reminded everyone I suppose I had better tell my methods.

The best thing I have found for cutilce eraser is Toilet Duck....well it removes limescale. Use the fish slice as a cuticle pusher. To get right into the corners I have found the best thing to be a fork, you can really jam it into the hyponicium. Use a nutmeg grater to rough up the surface of the nail bed.....believe me IT WORKS!!! For tips it's the good old table tennis ball.....how white do you want your white tips to be?? Stick 'em on with U-HU glue...no point wasting money on a quality adhesive. To overlay I use my pastry brush (DON'T use a flat one, use the pointed one.....and it will keep it's shape). Use a mixture of egg white and sugar for the overlay. This is good for the client as when she feels a little hungry she can have a nibble and blame you for doing such sweet tasty nails. You must use the dremmel to smooth (I got taught this in my Master classes) and buff them with the yolk of the egg.....it really does give the best shine....cook in oven on 250 of gas mark 7 for 6 minutes. If you have to microwave then just 2 minutes will do.

Good luck in producing the best nails you possibly can!!!!:lol: :lol:

For all of you who were about in the olden days of these fab kitchenesque nails - would you say your nails have improved and what changes have you made.

I know that the Cillit Bang will be a change as it is pretty new.

naturalnails said:
For all of you who were about in the olden days of these fab kitchenesque nails - would you say your nails have improved and what changes have you made.
Have my techniques improved....Fiona let me tell you since the last time we let all our secrets out I have gone on the get my Masters in Shming Shmong Nails......and believe me when I say my certificate will take pride of place when I open my salon.....I will be the first NSS salon in town!!!!! PMSL!!!!

Good for you, lets teach those snotty 'trained' techs... lovliness doesnt have to cost the earth, just your nails....

I am shocked that some of you think that Cillit Bang is too expensive to use as prep. It has a dual purpose as it can also be used as a soak off. The main advantage is that it totally removes the cuticle during soak off (and quite a lot of skin from the finger) thus making it much quicker if you are going to apply a new set of your chosen enhancements. Deffo worth the money and not worth scrimping - your clients deserve the best.

I also like to drill lots of little holes in my enhancements so that the nail beds can breath properly.

Rachel Mary said:
A BBQ, just the place to start, why wait till you get home, Tomato sauce and Mayo, perfect for a custom blend nail. Will Take about 24 hours to set though, unless you put the nail on the Barbie!!
xxxx

Sorry this made me chuckle! Bootsy was going to b&Q which is a chain of DIY stores in the UK! However, you can see how there is nothing that can be wrong in the world of NSS nails! BBQ nails sound fab - finger licking good in fact!

Nicki , me shming shmong mate, I knew you'd be in here as quick as a flash (or to be up to date, as quick as cillit BANG!).

Glynis, glynis, how we love to let those nails breathe, little holes are plain PERFECTO!

i find cake icing works quite nice too!! (for l&p) variety of colours great for nail art - them silver balls make good rhinestone substitutes too! xx

Latest posts

Back