"Know it all" client - help!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sarah22

Reaction score
Oh guys, one of my clients is driving me crazy!!

She comes in occasionally to have her nails done, and opts for gel polish. I do it for her, give her all of her aftercare advice, and on she goes.

She's had her current set on for 3 weeks now, and is booked in for a fortnights time to have a soak off and re-application.

She openly admits that she doesn't follow her aftercare advice, and is now commenting on my facebook page for my business and on my personal status updates, to let me know when her nails are coming off. I'm SO embarrassed as I have a lot of clients on both pages... I've tried to respond light heartedly with responses along the lines of "oh dear, had you been following all of your aftercare?" Etc. She's a lovely lady, but has one of those personalities where she's better qualified and more knowledgable than anybody in their qualified field...

Tonight, I put together an album on my facebook page with photos of nails from clients who are coming in for their soak offs and reapplications, all with perfect nails apart from the growth... I thought that this would let her, and other clients, see what can be achieved when you follow your aftercare perfectly. However, she even commented on that to say that she lost one nail through her own fault, and that a further 5 have just "fallen off"...

I'm ready to pull my hair out!!! I've tried to respond politely that nails just don't "fall off", but she's really not getting it...

Do any of you guys have a similar client and have any advice you could share on how to make her understand?! Xx

Last edited:
Why can't you ring her and just be honest with her and ask her please not to share her negativity in public to your other satisfied clients, particularly when she does not do any home care? Because her doing so is giving a false impression and could be off putting to new clients who visit your page.

How bloody annoying. Still I am certain that other visitors will suss out that she is a pain in the ass type client. When they are all happy and satisfied this lady will just make herself look foolish I think.

You can delete her comment from your page.. and just block her. . Its simple.
If she says anything, say you don't know anything about it

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek

Can you delete her comments? I certainly would!

I had a client very similar- but not posting on facebook thankfully. Id dread a text from her and her appointments and her "you must fit me in to repair my nails..." Yes a nearly 15 mile trip for a couple of pounds?!

Same as your client, just doesn't look after them, and says they "fell off" ?! Grrrrr!

(A little off topic) She text asking for an appointment at short notice for thurs or fri eve... I offered her my next available appt Sat afternoon 3pm and she replied "this sat?" Me: yes. And I never heard from her again! I can't say Im sad either!

It wouldn't surprise me if it was the same lady! Xx

I agree with Gigi, I would discuss it with her, she may not be thinking about it from your point of view. If she doesn't stop after that I would just remove her. :D

Are they "friends" pages if they are you can hide posts from people I had to do it from the mother inn law

Thank you for all of your replies.

I suppose I should really bring it up with her, but I'm so bad at confrontation!! I need to man up!!

I don't think she does it spitefully, she's one of these types who put everything and anything that's happening in their lives onto Facebook...

I'll maybe remove her comments, and if she notices and asks why, explain why I did it. Hopefully my other clients will notice the album I put together, and know from their own experience that my nails don't just "fall off". It's just with new clients, like Geeg mentioned, I don't want them thinking my nails don't last!!

Again, thank you for all of your advice 😊 xx

Hi. Yep I have had instances where people have made comments like that. One lady told me she even tried to post a picture to my wall showing a chipped nail. Unfortunate for us some people don't think any further than their finger nails and don't consider the repercussions. I have changed the privacy settings so that no one can post images. Although they can comment. You could block her but obviously then you would have to deal with the fall out of that. Or openly have a conversation on the thread, showing your knowledge on the subject, aftercare advice and also that sometimes gel polish isn't for everyone because of their lifestyle, etc ( or lack of self help) I would offer her alternatives if she feels gel polish isn't working for her. Let people see that you are dealing with her in a polite and professional manner at all times. Be consistent with that and repeat yourself if needs be. I guess it depends how valued a customer she is and how well you know her. Some of my clients I've known for years and I know they would never put me in a position like that. Some are just plain bonkers!! Good luck. W x

Hi, I'm not sure if this helps but I was playing around with my Facebook privacy settings and saw an option which allows you to review comments and posts before they are posted to your wall? I don't know if this is something you'd like to do but it may be a way of keeping an eye on comments you'd rather it appear on your page. You can then keep your page as professional as possible :)

Thank you for all of your replies.

I suppose I should really bring it up with her, but I'm so bad at confrontation!! I need to man up!!

I don't think she does it spitefully, she's one of these types who put everything and anything that's happening in their lives onto Facebook...

I'll maybe remove her comments, and if she notices and asks why, explain why I did it. Hopefully my other clients will notice the album I put together, and know from their own experience that my nails don't just "fall off". It's just with new clients, like Geeg mentioned, I don't want them thinking my nails don't last!!

Again, thank you for all of your advice 😊 xx

Hi Sarah ... One thing you and many young technicians need to learn is that not every difference of opinion or request has to be confrontational. No matter what this client may be like, a polite approach to her and a sensible logical discussion about the situation and a request that she cease posting as she is, need not end up in a 'confrontation' and it does not have to be argumentative or stressful.

Write down first what you want to say and then when the time comes that you either speak in person or write to her, the words will come much more easily and you will also have time to reflect to make sure that nothing you say will inflame the situation. HTH

I had this issue with one client as well, it's so frustrating when they clearly don't follow after care, I replied to the posts saying ' hi xx oh no what a shame, I did explain this will happen when you don't follow aftercare advice! For your next set stick to your aftercare advice and you will also get a long lasting service like all these other clients' as I'd also posted before&after pics to prove that nails last 'if' you follow the advice your given.xxx

That's so awful!
I have a few really lovely clients that I get on well with. We have fab conversations when they come in.
However when they try to add my personal account on facebook I always decline the invite. I want to accept as I like them, however I am really trying to be strict with myself to remain professional.
Touching on what wendywoo said about privacy settings. Correct me if I am wrong, but I am sure there is a setting to not allow comments at all. This would allow her to still see everything but stop her from making damaging comments.
Also what geeg said is good. Write down everything that bothers you, then maybe call her. Then you will remember everything you want to say and hopefully will flow a little easier?
Good luck x

I definately would follow Geeg's Advice, don't block her or stop her from being able to comment, if she's a commenter then she's a powerful social media networking tool, you just need to change her comments from negative to positive. So use Geeg's advice and also let her know that your facebook page is an important tool in your business, and she could really help you out by liking your pictures and putting some positive comments on for you x

I know this wont help with your client and i think Gigi's advice is perfect. She probably doesnt realise that she is causing you any discomfort by commenting and a polite chat will be all it take.

Anyway, any clients who are on my personal fb page have been added to the group 'acquaintances' and i can filter my statuses and photo's to not show to them if i want. This way I don't have to refuse their request but I also don't have to invite them into my personal life or allow them to see pictures of a drunk night out or pics of my children unless i wish to. It allows me to remain professional without ignoring their request to be a 'friend'. Just thought it might be helpful for the future x

This is what I would put on Facebook!! :eek:

Attachments

• IMG_0506.jpg
    IMG_0506.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 292
Love this :) can I use? x

How about something along the lines of "oh gosh I was only thinking of you today and that I hadn't seen you for a while. I checked my diary and it was 3 weeks ago....your nails can soon be restored to their former beauty by making more regular appointments and I look forward to seeing you soon".

Hi Sarah ... One thing you and many young technicians need to learn is that not every difference of opinion or request has to be confrontational. No matter what this client may be like, a polite approach to her and a sensible logical discussion about the situation and a request that she cease posting as she is, need not end up in a 'confrontation' and it does not have to be argumentative or stressful.

Write down first what you want to say and then when the time comes that you either speak in person or write to her, the words will come much more easily and you will also have time to reflect to make sure that nothing you say will inflame the situation. HTH

Just had to say after reading this that is definitely advice that I need to take on board, I need to print this and stick it up somewhere, confrontations or even awkward conversations send me into a panic and that is something that i need to deal with, thanks Geeg x

Just had to say after reading this that is definitely advice that I need to take on board, I need to print this and stick it up somewhere, confrontations or even awkward conversations send me into a panic and that is something that i need to deal with, thanks Geeg x

Seriously, writing down some nice polite but to-the-point responses to different scenarios really helps; I know, I've done it ... it didn't just come naturally. :hug:

Latest posts

Back