Left or right handed technicians

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Are you left or right handed?

• Total voters

Bebeautiful

Reaction score
Hi all technicians,

I am interested to find out how many of you are left handed and how comfortable did you feel when you were being trained by a righthanded trainer. I ask this in good faith because I know that there is a shop in London that sells all things for left handed people but these are nothing to do with beauty or nails.

So ... my question is, are you left handed or right handed? :hug:

Left handed...

and I have never used any special left-handed products....

and I didn't find being trained by a right handed person difficult...

xxxxxxxxxxx

ooops didn't see the poll....

I am left handed and never found it to be a problem being taught by anybody right handed as I just learned how to mirror anything anybody else does who is right handed. I suppose having to do this with everything I have ever been taught my mind is sort of used to mirroring things.

What I do find weird is watching somebody else who is left handed doing something as my mind isnt used to watching somebody work with their left hand even though I do (if that makes sense).

I just have to be careful what equipment I use. For example the Ezflow pro-Pusher is a fab tool but is angled so I cant seem to get the knack of it in my left hand. so I stick to my probe.

p.s. although nothing to do with beauty but one problem I have is using potato peelers - there is only one type i can use so have a good excuse not to peel potatoes if I visit anybody! :lol:

I use a knife on potatoes :lol:

Not on clients obviously :eek:

I am left handed too! I have learnt to adjust techniques to suit me. I haven't felt the need to buy any lefties equipment.

I do however have to use a knife to peel and use my right hand when using scissors!

peel potatoes that is!!!!!!!!!:lol:

I am left handed but pretty much ambidextrous.

The only real problem I have with nails is that my left hand is the skilled one and my right hand has the strength - so filing is really not my strong point.

I am right handed so have not had this problem,
how ever when i was training with Creative we had one girl in the class who was left handed and the educator would put her brush in her left hand to show this girl how it was meant to be done left handed,
so we had the best of both worlds as the educator could teach with her left or right hand hth

Right handed me !!

I normally use my right hand but I'm ambidextrous so never have a problem using either.

Ambidextrous people are consider to having a great deal of skill in both hands. Ambidexteritythe state of being equally adept in the use of both right and left hands. It is one of the most famous varieties of cross-dominance.Cross-dominance, also known as mixed handedness and mixed dominance ,it is a motor skill manifestation where a person favors one hand for some tasks and the other hand for others.:)

Last edited:
Hi I am left handed, I did no find it a problem, but my trainer seemed to have a problem with it when teaching me how to hold tools etc. dont know why!!!

Right handed, and I still dont peel potatoes..x

I'm left handed too. I voted that I had a few problems practicing, but they aren't major issues.

I didn't have many problems with actually doing the nails (none that being right handed would have solved anyway). During my manicure assessment all our tables had to be set out as our workbooks described, all equipment on the left or we wouldn't pass. I had to get special permission to set my table up differently so I didn't knock everything over during my exam.:o

I still can't hold my file or brush the way were taught, I just can't seem to mirror it with my left hand, but I have worked out my own way that feels comfortable.

And we always eat jacket potatoes at my house too:lol:

Hi all technicians,

I am interested to find out how many of you are left handed and how comfortable did you feel when you were being trained by a righthanded trainer. I ask this in good faith because I know that there is a shop in London that sells all things for left handed people but these are nothing to do with beauty or nails.

So ... my question is, are you left handed or right handed? :hug:
I am left handed mainly and use my left hand for most treatments, sometimes however, i use my right hand for other treatments so maybe i am ambi :eek:

I'm left handed - never had a problem learning how to hold things etc, it's just my speed thats a problem (don't know if it's related!)

I did recently realise though that I use my right hand to file the free edge, but my left hand when refining enhancements! Learnt to be slightly ambidextrous as most things aren't made for lefties! (scissors etc!)

I also have the potato peeler problem and struggled with fountain pens at school as my hand would smudge everything i'd just written!! The best peeler I've found are the 'Y' shaped ones - our tesco ones are pretty good!!!

When I was watching training dvd, my brain couldn't convert the right hand filing to left hand filing. So I set a mirror up and watched the telly through the mirror. Voila the lady on the dvd is now left handed and it all made sense. With a potatoe peeler I peel away from me and it works. Write with a fountain pen = smudge. Write on a white board = wipe it all out. Write on a piece of paper with no lines = it all slopes down hill and I run out of room half way through a sentence at the bottom of the page. But I can't iron left handed? Do you think they dropped me when I was born?:lol:

hi. i am left handed and its never been a problem at all. i perform all treatments and luckily dont have any difficulties. leanne

Good educators should be able to do their own nails :green:therefore when teaching I always ask if any students are left handed and I automatically show them techniques with my ‘wrong’ hand.

As with everything practice practice practice

Love the mirror idea for DVDs thanks for sharing:hug:

I'm left handed and I've never had a problem with any treatments. I think left-handed people just learn to adapt what they do to suit them, so most of us can do things with both hands, whereas a lot of right handed people can only use their right hand. I think that gives us lefties a real advantage! :lol:
I can do most things with either hand. Except writing and hand sewing.

I went to a ridiculous boarding school where they made you sit on your left hand if you showed even the slightest leftie tendency. It wasn't until I studied Latin O level that I realised why they did this. The Latin for "left" is "sinistra"; they believed the devil is in the left hand. I ask you!
Anyway, as a result of this nonsense I'm now mixed handed. I'm by no means ambidextrous, but I swap hands readily.

Latest posts

Back