Live Fish Pedicure GULP!!! Call the RSPCA!!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

number1kitty

Reaction score
Ok my mates just come back from the states and whilst she was there indulged in a Pedi.

Her feet were submerged in a bowl of LIVE FISH, that nibbled at her dead skin cells :eek:

Ok whos had this? What your thoughts?

Kate x

i havent had it but i definately want to try one !!! But as far as i know they are only in america at the mo :(

This has been discussed before in here. The fish are usually Garra Rufa who nibble the dead skin only. They aren't the only ones who will though. If you put your hand in my tropical tank the tetra come and nibble too, they especially like my hands, I think maybe because I have dry skin.

IIRC someone in this country did try to start this service but was made to stop. I think in reality to do it safely you'd need a very large number of fish and a lot of tanks for quarantine and holding to be safe for clients and for the welfare of the fish.

I'd love to have a pedi like it though!

Yeah I recall reading about it before.....freaky:eek:
Whats wrong with a good old soak and gently erase the dead skin??
What if they eat too much??:) Even too much removal of dead skin cells can hurt tbh!
What would you feed them in between pedis....old scabs??..the kids??:lol:
Sorry..:lol::lol::lol:

Sorry don't like the thought of this at all!!! It makes me fearful for the welfare of the little fishies!!:cry:

Sorry don't like the thought of this at all!!! It makes me fearful for the welfare of the little fishies!!:cry:

I agree! Plus i dislike the feel of fish in the sea where i can get away from them, lol.
Not for me, but im sure there are some that love it.

Apparently in the same spa she could have Cryotherapy where they freeze your body. They can only leave you for 2 minutes, by 4 minutes your very likely to end up dead!! Its supposed to be anti-aging, and cellulite blasting. The only reason she didnt do it was the 30 minutes of exercise required afterwards lazy cow lol!

Also on the menu....... Snake massage. Yes Snakes! They put a load of milk snakes on you whilst performing a massage WTF?? Sorry but the world of beauty has gone mad!

When living animals have to be used its worrying. What next chimps doing indian head massages?

Kate x

What next chimps doing indian head massages?

You mean there aren't already?! How about waxing with limpets, or dry skin brushing with starfish? The possibilities are endless!

exactly we are missing out here on this money making empire of creating innovative treatments using animals lol! Did I say money making, I meant to say age defying lol!

Kate xx

And dont star fish sting??? Or is that the other thing..... My minds gone numb too much bird poo in my face mask lol!!

Starfish don't sting, but jellyfish do - I suspect that this stimulates your fibroblasts into producing new collagen! I also reckon mushed up slugs have an emollient effect when applied as a face pack!

When living animals have to be used its worrying. What next chimps doing indian head massages?

Kate x

Snakes are a bit odd I agree but in the countries where this species of fish are native its a long held practice and happens when people sit with their feet in the water where the fish live. Its not really anything new, just been exported idea wise.

Starfish don't sting, but jellyfish do - I suspect that this stimulates your fibroblasts into producing new collagen! I also reckon mushed up slugs have an emollient effect when applied as a face pack!

ewwwww:lol: :lol:

I saw that "treatment" on the news -- poor fishies have to eat foots skin to live. :eek:

BABTAC Chair Angela Bartlett just experienced this while examining in Singapore - April/May Vitality is carrying a feature on it...sounds...interesting :)

If you can get hold of a copy, it should be a good read

What if they eat too much??:) Even too much removal of dead skin cells can hurt tbh!
Ha Ha Ha... Love it xx

I've just written about a place in the US offering this treatment... check out DR FISH MASSAGE ANYONE? - 19/08/2008 (Health and Beauty Salon Online) for the story and images.

Let me know what you think in the comments section.

Yes, I also believe this treatment is becoming popular in Singapore too. Not sure I'm brave enough myself though!

:rolleyes:

I saw that "treatment" on the news -- poor fishies have to eat foots skin to live. :eek:

That's the nature of that fish. Fish aren't like many mammals where if they don't get the food they are used to they will eat anything.

If its not loose they cant get to it so they cant hurt you. They don't have teeth so its not like if feet are dipped into a pool of piranha.

Most fish in the wild don't feed every single day, some fish go days or weeks with out food. When I go away for a couple of weeks I have some one come in only to make sure that the tanks didn't spring
a leak or the filters stopped working. They don't get fed. I don't come home to fish cannibalising each other or hovering at the front of the tank gulping 'feed me, feed me'.

xxx

Last edited:

Eeeewwwww Martin thats just gross! Its almost as bad as snail serum. I just couldnt bring my self to put that on my face!!!

mushed up slugs have an emollient effect when applied as a face pack!

i saw that on gok wan's how to look good knaked once his 2 therapists gave 10 women an expensive 50 quid a jar face cream to try out they were shocked after using it for a week and found out it was made with snail slime....they were happy with results on skin and wrinkles tho:) if you do a search on the geek site under fishy pedicure it'll show you a vid of it...garra ruffa fish love feeding on dead skin..my son has these little tetras and danios in his tropical tank and they like nibbling at the dry skin on his hands,completely harmless

Latest posts

Back