Male client - I don't want to go!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

noodles

Reaction score
Hi all

I had a phone call today from a 'new client' who had seen my ad in our free local community mag. Thing is, it was a bloke and I've never had a male client before. And to make it even worse he told me he's 99 years old!!!!!!! Me being naive and stupid didn't put my foot down at the time and I ended up agreeing to go round on Saturday at 12. As soon as I got off the phone I thought 'my god what have I done!'. He really did sound elderly but I just feel uneasy now. I don't know how to get out of it - if I call him back and tell him I accidently double booked myself, he might try and reschedule. Thing is he might be genuine so I don't want to be horrible and then upset him. What do I say to get out of it???!!!

If you really do not feel comfortable then dont go, call the person up and cancel. keep the number close by just incase they ring again and say sorry you are booked. are you not able to work from home where it would be safer especially with men clients. as you could have a family/friend in the next room. this man may be ok but it is best to be safe. make sure someone knows where you are. you could always get a friend to sit in the car in the drive and mention it to the person that you have someone outside. get them to call you (say left lghts on etc) so the person knows that you have back up so to speak. honestly if your gut instict is shouting not to go then dont go. I would not go do any treatment round a mans house, unless I knew them.

hi
what does he want done then?
thg:)

You could always take someone with you - even if they wait in the car outside.
If they come in with you, you could always say that you were training them, that's why they are there.

good idea well done..

I agree with Bev, take someone with you and tell your client that you have a trainee observing. If he objects, politely explain that your insurance requires you to have another person present for security or safety reasons or some rubbish like that!!!

hi

The above advise does sound good and sound as you can never be too carefully, but also consider you may be feeling this as its your first make client and he is elderly....

I had a male client that was 98 he was a very proud old gent and liked to keep looking good for the ladies ( he always used to say..lol...) he lived in sheltered housing... he did however come to the salon so its a little different... but he always used to tell me how thankful he was for ( wasting my time) as he put it .. with an old man... he just had his nails manicured because he had cataracts and could not see properly but liked to be well groomed... so my advise would be to go and take the precautions as recommended above cause you never know it may be genuine and you could be helping some on in many ways....

Good luck what ever you choose.....

p.s we used to have some pretty interesting conversations too as his mind was very sharp... he he..

H x

i agree, take someone with you as your as your trainee, but again if you head is screaming "NO" cancel the appt xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

aww, he might be lovely.. he's probably lonely too and might just be booking a manicure to get a bit of company at the same time.. I feel a bit sorry for him if you cancel.. he might even have a wife or lady friend there and you will be worrying over nothing.. dont suppose a man of his age is much of a threat anyway :eek: lol

Did he sound sort of 99 years old?
If he did I'd go if I was nearer:)
Ya can't beat old people they are belters.:hug:
Plus.....what's he gonna do.... hit you with his zimmerframe before you go and he has vivid dreams about it:lol:

I wouldn't go unless you feel happy.

Hi all

I had a phone call today from a 'new client' who had seen my ad in our free local community mag. Thing is, it was a bloke and I've never had a male client before. And to make it even worse he told me he's 99 years old!!!!!!! Me being naive and stupid didn't put my foot down at the time and I ended up agreeing to go round on Saturday at 12. As soon as I got off the phone I thought 'my god what have I done!'. He really did sound elderly but I just feel uneasy now. I don't know how to get out of it - if I call him back and tell him I accidently double booked myself, he might try and reschedule. Thing is he might be genuine so I don't want to be horrible and then upset him. What do I say to get out of it???!!!

What specifically are you uncomfortable about ? Age, sex, something in his voice ? If you are doing mobile and are treating men you need to have a strategy in place that allows you to do it with confidence and in comfort, otherwise every male booking will be a nightmare.

There are good suggestions on there. The simplest is to take a chaperon with you the first time, or each time until you are comfortable with that person. that way you can treat him and feel safe and comfortable. If you are afraid it will come through in your treatment.

Regards

Mike

I'll share this one with you.
I had an old man who lived in sheltered accomodation a few years ago. (passed away now but he would wet himself for the story to be passed on....)
First time I saw him him he took his shirt off.
Sat in a chair.....and I thought...wtf??
He said....do it short love....
I said I'm just doing your nails???
He said "OMG I'm so sorry you must think I'm an idiot. I thought you were cutting my hair!!!
BUT I just KNEW he was ok.
He was a lovely client of mine that I became very fond of. YES I know we shouldn't but if you knew me you would know I do!!
Lovely man. Nothing bad.
BUT wanted the company....which is gonna spark off another thread.....it has to!!

i agree take someone with you and say he\she is your helper or trainee partner for your safety and until your comfortable and confident about doing men in the future ...elderly clients are belters and lovely ..he is probs genuine and wouldn't say boo to a ghost wants a bit of grooming to keep the ladies interested ect...

jane x

I hope this is a bit of a learning experience for several people on this site!

When you set yourself up in business and then advertise you must have thought everything through! This includes male clients. Going to a strangers home is potentially dangerous if they come from an ad! If visiting an unknown man worries you (and it should) the put in the ad that you only accept women clients (not that that is much safer!)

You should have many safeguards in place anyway when visiting strangers!

I had a very similar situation to this years ago.

I had a phone call from a gentleman asking me if I could go round and do his nails. After a short discussion, I agreed and then put the phone down and thought oh god what have I done.

It took me ages to decide whether or not to go, but eventually I decided that I would keep the appointment and I told my mum the address I would be going to and I called her just before I went in. I asked if she could call me in 5/10 minutes and if I answered and said everything was OK she was not to worry, anything else then she was to send someone round.

It turned out the man had MS and didn't have the strength to cut his own nails and didn't want to bother his family to do it for him (very proud man).

He has now been a client of mine for the last 4/5 years (his wife is now a client) and he is soon to be my father in law.

As others have said though, I would definitely take precautions if you decide to keep the appointment.

Good advice given here....and some lovely heartwarming posts about these lovely male clients some of you have and have had over the years.

Yes take the precautions others have mentioned, for this first visit.

I would also like to add though, that if this gentleman is 99yrs old and lives alone, then he also is taking a risk, booking a stranger to come to his house, and may be alarmed if 2 of you turn up. Just be prepared for that situation as well.

If he's truly 99 I'm not sure what there is to be afraid of! What threat could he possibly be?

I'm pretty dissapointed with this thread (but not the answers) another I don't want to do men thread....

For gods sake make up your mind what and who you want to do ....

Don't say yes, when you mean no.

Don't dissapoint customers, or they may dissapoint you.

As mentioned in a previous answer, this guy may be too old to even reach his toes.

My salon is located 50 metres from a retirement home and have quite a few men & women come in (with zimmerframes) making enquiries.

They have an inhouse podiatrist, but curiosity leads them to me (and they don't like the podiatrist because she is rough).

I am way beyond their budgets, but sympathise with their plight.

If you have doubts or insecurities, don't book them in the first place.

Noodles, I just had a look at your profile and it says you want to do waxing training too... what will you do when you get your first male client ring up about waxing? that is worse than a manicure on a 99 year old man surely?

I do spray tanning and I have sprayed men mobile, you obviously need to take precautions like mentioned ie leave the address etc but I knew that I may get men calling up when I did my training and decided to go mobile, its a risk you either are willing to take or you arent... you need to make up your mind before you start offering other services too.

Latest posts

Back