MMA article in LOOK Magazine

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
but ems do you disinfect your implements?
do you consult with your clients before starting the procedure?
do you sanitise yours and your clients hands?
these are only three things i can remember from the article , sorry as i cant get back to it
I do I do and I do....I even make them a brew !!!! :green:

the ones I mentioned were in the little highlighted part at the side.
This is the part I would have read if i were just joe public...I am a flicker,
I flick through mags, reading all the little highlighted bits, that makes me decide if i want to read the whole article,
So even if i had decided against reading the article, I would have remembered those points.

this is they way i see it too emmsy.........as i said the main article i thought was good......its that bit on the side. Bullet points stick in your mind dont they???

Marian is 100% correct. Ask the general public what they think of having their nails done after that article and they will say 'Hell no! Wayy too dangerous!'. Fortunately, most people have a short term sensationalism memory. After a couple more scare articles over the next few weeks, they will eventually forget this one.

So why print something like this in the first place?

Is it really investigative journalism at its finest? An attempt to right the wrongs of the bad technicians out there? naaa.... its because freaking people out makes good reading. Think of all the 'plastic surgery goes awry' and all the features about celeb's secret flings, drug use or the always favourite; Celeb Cellulite Caught on Camera!

The public (that includes EVERYONE) is far more interested in a souped up sensationalised story than a DPS spread on 'the very slim chance of nail plate damage in super cheap and crappy nail salons'. If a journalist sent in a tepid story that focused on the reality of the situation, the editor would throw it off the desk saying that it was simply too boring... it wont sell! Find the juice! Find the story! Bigger! Better! Get the dirty laundry!

Keep this in mind the next time you grab a glossy because of the sensationalised stories pasted all over the cover. By buying it, you buy into a perpetual chain of half truths and BS that once a year comes round to bite our industry in the butt. Anyone recall the Daily Mail article that spawned such controversy a couple years ago? The one that prompted me to write http://www.salongeek.com/showthread.php?t=12767 ?

Keep this in mind if ever you get into a situation where you are being interviewed for an article/radio/TV piece like this: They want you to think its your time to tell your story, but the reality is, it wont get by the editor without being souped up for prime time and fiction sales better than reality.

Plenty of techs use electric files, wear masks, don't hold level 3 (but are far more skilled than level 3 qualifications) and guess what.... virtually any monomer smells 'chemically' to Joe Public! But that doesn't equate to bad nail services. In fact, there was no definitive solution for Jane Doe to help her identify the good from bad salons so why would she take the gamble at any of them? Articles like this do not help to get MMA banned, they help to freak customers out of nail salon services as a whole.

Last edited:
I don't have NVQ level 3 either, but I do have many other recognised certificates..... and what is this talk about indepenant nail salons?

Aren't we all independant nail salons or techs? The vast majority of us are running our own business, independantly not working for big franchises who I guess aren't independant?

At the want of sounding boring.......get your info into your MP....

The ladies in the article didn't say whether they were still having their nails done by another tech since their experience....I have many clients who are, even after a nasty experience as they know now that they are looked after.

I think on balance, the article was negative to our industry as it highlighted the horror stories, didn't really give a definitive answer to women reading the magazine of the difference between an NSS or a non-NSS salon and had a small piece at the end about qualifications, NVQ3, which most of us do not have because it isn't widely available for us to qualify in unless we want to spend thousands going to a place/college where we are more likely qualified than the tutors....I apologise to the tutors who know what I mean x

Does anyone think it might help if this thread was emailed to the editor of the mag?

Not sure if just this thread can be sent as a whole.

xx

Here is a letter copied to me just last week by Doug Schoon .... pity no one took any notice of the experienced advice he so willingly gave.

I am certainly happy to hear that you are trying to educate the public. That is badly needed- so go for it. But I can tell you that showing damaged nails will not have the desired effect. In fact, I think that when people show nail damage supposedly created by MMA-- it HURTS the ENTIRE nail industry. How? The public is not sophisticated enough to know the difference between MMA and EMA, so when they see this damage they end up thinking that all artificial nails are bad for them. Wouldn’t you draw the same conclusion?

I’ve watched this happen over and over again for the last 20 years and have discovered that nail damage pictures do more harm to our industry than MMA itself does. As strange as it sounds, when the American industry started campaigning against MMA, the public became afraid of artificial nails in general and sales dropped dramatically. I don’t think we’ve ever fully recovered from that fiasco!

Although I agree MMA should not be used, MMA does not damage the nail plate. Improper preparation, maintenance and removal is what causes the damage. I’ve seen equally terrible damage caused by EMA, UV gel nails and even Fiberglas. There are lots of people using traditional products and doing a poor job of it. The problem is lack of proper training. Poorly trained and/or unskilled nail technicians are a much bigger problem than MMA will ever be

Also, my experience has been that even if you do ban MMA, it will continue to be used. Who’s going to stop it? The government? That would be very difficult and expense and to date no government regulation anywhere in the world has been able to stop the use of MMA. Even worse, those nail techs who do change to traditional products will still damage their clients nails, because they don’t know how to do nails properly! That’s the real problem. Also, when I see MMA damaged nails, usually the visible damage was caused by improper and overly aggressive filing, not the MMA.

I really do admire your passion and determination, but be careful not to make the same mistake that America made. If you want to solve this problem, then insist on licensing, inspections and significant training requirements for all nail techs. That will help both the nail industry and British nail clients. Banning MMA won’t do much at all. You can only win this battle by making nail professionals more knowledgeable and improving their skills. That’s the only way, IMO.

I would recommend working to educate the British public about the dangers of improperly applied, improperly maintained and improperly removed artificial nails, as well as, the nail techs with poor knowledge and skills. For example, clients need to be told not to look for the “cheapest” nails. That’s like looking for the cheapest doctor to do a facelift. If they do, don’t complain when your eyebrows end up in the middle of your forehead. Cheap is as cheap does.

Instead, explain to the public that when the nail technician doesn’t teach them how to properly maintain the nails, this can lead to problems. When the nail technicians damages the nail plate by improper filing, this can create problems. If the nail technicians remove the artificial nail by prying it off of the nail plate rather than properly and gently removing it, this can create problems. These issues create far more damage than MMA.

Last edited:
Doug Schoon said:
For example, clients need to be told not to look for the “cheapest” nails. That’s like looking for the cheapest doctor to do a facelift. If they do, don’t complain when your eyebrows end up in the middle of your forehead.

That is sheer genius

Totally.....I never really speak that much about MMA when talking to clients, goes right over the head, it's more about lack of hygiene and improper prep methods, application (over exposure) and removal methods......not just our stereotype NSS but other NSS too.

WOW..........what wise words!!!

Originally Posted by Doug Schoon
For example, clients need to be told not to look for the “cheapest” nails. That’s like looking for the cheapest doctor to do a facelift. If they do, don’t complain when your eyebrows end up in the middle of your forehead.

This is where the original info for the bill has come from.....cheap doesn't always mean cheerful.....if it's cheap and it isn't on special offer, then it's cheap, every day of the week.

They have there sensational story now, damage done. Sorry that is my opinion.
I am very disappointed about this.
Doing nails sometimes feels like a losing battle to me. You take 2 steps forward and 1 back. I seem to spend a lot of my time talking about nails and how Enhancements don`t damage the nail plate, when I meet new people and they ask what I do.
I am one of the lucky ones as I have a regular clientele of cabin crew but I feel sorry for anyone starting out.
Although not much has changed as nails have always seemed to have a bad reputation. I would have hoped that after this length of time that the media would have became better educated.
By the way friday night 9.30, on BBC, a new programe about wags, if any one is interested. I dont know how much ended up on the cutting room floor but I done one of the wags nails and toe nails (she is a regular client). The BBC were coming to film at my studio doing the wags nails but unfortunately I had a family crisis, had to cancel and could not re-schedule in their time. Anyhow they did film her nails and took us to dinner but as previously said think there is just a glimpse of me!!! Shame that I had to cancel but family comes first.

Its true....How many times have we got a call and the first question we get asked is "how much do you charge ?"......it amazes me.

Can you imagine ringing a surgeon for a face lift and your first question being "how much"....like thats the deciding factor.

My charges reflect my services, experience and reputation.....why are they not asking about these things first.

My big long post just somehow got deleted :grr:

But I more or less had said what sian has said,...
I don't have an nvq level 3, no nvq for that matter !
I may sometimes wear a mask as I have asthma,
And according to people who come anywhere near my products they smell....
I am not a member of habia...

God I might aswell give up right now, theres nothing down for me according to LOOK ...
Oh except that is the teeny weeny facts that.....
I take my education VERY seriously,
I take my clients wellbeing VERY seriously,
I NEVER cause damage to a clients nail beds, infact quite the opposite,
I AM professional in the way I do things in pratice and in thought.

BUT...would a potential client realise all this, If they walked in and sat at my "smelly" nail table,
Watched me put on a dust mask...then they proceed to ask me if I have nvq level 3 or am a member of habia...
No..they would be running for the hills

and again ....:grr:

Ems I am qouting you because your summed it up for me, I haven't read all the posts but didn't want to forget yours. I read the article today just after it was posted and thought blimey, done for before I can even start. I dont have any hope of getting an NVQ as Stuart works away during the week, I was taught to wear a mask when filing etc. I sat all the way through reading it thinking whilst its great to highlight the dangers of MMA what about stressing the safer side of things and the good stories.

I edited now because I saw the rest of the posts :lol: Doug Schoons's letter was inspired and summed the whole situation up brilliantly.

Last edited:
I have just sent an article to Alex for the next Scratch and I hope many of you will read it. I hadn't seen Doug's letter until this thread but I am agreeing with his sentiments entirely in it.

I don't actually agree that involving MP's is the way to address this problem (although I did sign Keeley's petition as it will do no harm and I believe someone trying to change things for the better should be supported).

There are better ways of addressing all these issues and myself and also GMG have been quietly working away at this to help change things for the better 'for keeps' not just for the few minutes of a scare.

Please read Scratch as it will demonstrate how the 'wheels of power' in Government depts are turning, slowly but in the right direction

Last edited:
Well done Keeley and Victoria! i think the artical is fab..... and great exposure for what MMA ans NSS can do etc....

........but im with Kerry relating to the is your nail salon safe? section.... some aspects can be seen as miss leading........I too wear a mask when im using my efile plus as i did my nvq many years ago.......... so the unit for artifical nails was nvq level 2 at the time.....

Jess
xox

This worried me too, especially as i don't have any NVQ, but have lots of excellent training with EZ Flow, so would the public see this as not qualified??

This worried me too, especially as i don't have any NVQ, but have lots of excellent training with EZ Flow, so would the public see this as not qualified??

Hunnio you have no need to worry, you have been trained well to nvq standards and your education is recognised with in the industry

...i was just pointing out that im quite well qualified and dont have the current level 3 nvq as artificial nails hadnt become a level 3 unit when i did my initial nvq training at college so the high lighted section could cause some confusion as it could be miss leading

Jess
xox

ooh those poor girls nails !! great article tough tells it like it is lets hope people take it in and come to us instead of none speaking english cheapo bars !!

ooh those poor girls nails !! great article tough tells it like it is lets hope people take it in and come to us instead of none speaking english cheapo bars !!

It isn't just 'none speaking english' techs who cause damage and low prices dont always mean a substandard service.

Hi Everyone

Just to say that i agree with a lot of the things that have been said in all these threads, it was the office of the MP of Milton Keynes that sent a press release to the LOOK Magazine and they called myself and Victoria for a comment, the article was most definitely not written by myself and i did forward them Doug Schoons comments, unfortunately the article has got a lot of holes in it and so many negative points and incorrect information which is a shame, but in the defence of the MP, i think they were only trying to help reach the public and as nail technology is not their field, a lot of the information has been badly written in the article. I agree it has probably scared off a lot of the women who were perhaps thinking of having their nails done and its sad that it has annoyed some of the nail technicans, i think what started off as a good thing trying to educate the public and try and have MMA banned has maybe backfired and is a bigger issue than first thought.

I hold my hands up and say i only set out to try and help the industry and i thought the petition was a good idea, i didnt think all this would come from it xx

Unfortunately the article does not tell it like it is.

And there are more than plenty of English speaking, cowboys, diyers and non professionals doing similar damage every day of the week.

We really need to get rid of the non professionals and the greedy suppliers who give them the means to do by knowingly selling to anyone who wants to buy.

Many on here support distributors who are ruining our industry ... one day they will be sorry they did so.

Latest posts

Back