No training... smart or stupid?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

No Training... smart or stupid?

• smart?

Votes: 21 4.0%
  • stupid?

Votes: 510 96.0%

• Total voters
Whew what a whopper of a debate
I initially got a bit scared because I'm new at doing acrylics:cry:
and I think its because when you are new you tend to think things like OMG what if Ive done something wrong ?
I am sure all the other genuine newbies appreciate all you guys giving us so much info you must repeat yourselves so much.

Yes, i did feel a little like this, as i read this thread i was shrinking in my seat, but i do understand where all the master geeks are coming from, i trained with EN, i did the Acrylic course and enjoyed it immensely and passed. In the long run i will go for some more training, but i would've never done anyone's nails before i had finished my course, When i got my Acrylic course set i had a manual with it listing all the nail diseases(with pictures) i must've read that entire book hundreds of times, to all the people who have never done any type of training or courses etc and are charging people for nail enhancements, you should really stop and think about all the damage you are causing to people's nails and the diseases you are giving them due to poor hygene. I want to say thankyou to all the people on here who give advise and help out newbie geeks like me. :hug:

I have just completed a 20 week acrylic nail evening course at my local college, and I just want to point out that training doesn't have to cost a fortune. The course only cost around £150 and you can get help with it if you receive benefits for being on a low income. I am now competent enough to recognise disorders of the nails, problems with the enhancements and how to safely apply the chemicals that I use etc. I'm by no means perfect, and I dont think I'll ever consider myself to be (I'm a bit of a perfectionist, lol), but I feel confident that I am not a danger to the public.
So to all of those that say they wont train because they cant afford to, there are other, cheaper possibilities besides training with private companies.

Hmmm so am i smart or stupid...see im trained in one subject but not the other yet can do both (hair, nails), Ive done intense research on both and yet i consider myself as neither a hairdresser nor nail technician as im more of a scientist (which means i understand how things ie chemicals you apply to things react and why)...Let me give some examles as to why its wrong to judge..... I have two friends...one has been an apprentice tattooist the other has taught themselves through shear determination....guess what....the one that taught themselves has more knowledge about their craft than the one who payed for his title, he also knows things about his machines the other one doesnt, in fact he's that good that the one who payed is now under the others wings!!!see its not about have i payed for my training, its about having the balls to seek out that one thing you want to perfect and going for it, do you really think that if you dont pay for your title your no good, i beg to differ. Some people are trained to the hilt, but they are still useless, others have spent their time researching the craft they want to perfect before they inflict the world with what ever it is they can do, the way i see it.....Word of mouth will soon rid the stupid from those who know their craft what ever their medium, ( i can airbrush too, but i didnt get anyone to teach me, and oddly enough im pretty good at it) its about having talent, dont get me wrong some who are not trained should have their equipment burned! But at the same time so should some so called proffessionals...........if your good your good if not then eventually you will disappear from your so called choosen art! so really i can see both sides therefore i chose not to judge others........

I vote STUPID!! and Iv been one of them!

This is difficult for me to do, but here goes:cry::cry::cry:!

First I would like to explain my back ground and then apologise for being DEFENSIVE in one of my posts which is unlike me:cry:

I qualified at college doing the unit 19 NVQ in nail enhancements, then did my conversion course in June 2004 with Creative in acrylic, and loved it soo much:) I then paid to train with Bio Gels as an alternative (cost about £500) in 2004, then I trained with a reputable company, who used NSI products in nail art which cost me also etc etc. I have spent a lot of time and money in training and products, but then I became allergic in a big big way, and lost a lot of money and gained heartache in the process. I have become angry with myself I guess, because myself is allegic to acrylic:cry:. I have tried Brisa gels on myself, but I now know, I have done it the wrong wrong way.

Because I have lost sooo much money (and dont have any at the mo) I was reluctant to pay for a lamp and further training in the Brisa gels until I new I was ok with Brisa. I did buy my trial kit from Creative though, and never off Ebay!

I have only EVER used Brisa on myself, and have found I am allergic to it so thats the end of my dream, I would never do nails on the public without the training etc and never have.

What I have realised is, you are 100 % correct, right, however you put it, in what you say, I should of known better and NOT tried without all the training and lamp even if it would of cost me financially. Im embarrassed for being negative and defending my actions, at the time I thought I was doing nothing wrong, but I was harming my health and I can see that!

Im sorry to you who tried to guide me and I didnt listen:cry:

Anyone reading this, should listen, take their advice, and do the correct training and use the right products as you could end up like me, with a full blown allergy and nothng to show for it, Im a prime example of stupidity!

My last thoughts has been and will be TRAINING TRAINING TRAINING!

I also know that when some nail techs have done the correct way of training, it does not equal talent, and I have seen some not so good nails, from trained nail techs. I also think experience and time is a factor. It still is essential however, to know all about diseases and anatomy and contra- indications, to prevent cross infection and damage to a clients nail. such a difficult subject but like I said TRAINING is for me!

Last edited:
Hmmm so am i smart or stupid...see im trained in one subject but not the other yet can do both (hair, nails), Ive done intense research on both and yet i consider myself as neither a hairdresser nor nail technician as im more of a scientist (which means i understand how things ie chemicals you apply to things react and why)...Let me give some examles as to why its wrong to judge..... I have two friends...one has been an apprentice tattooist the other has taught themselves through shear determination....guess what....the one that taught themselves has more knowledge about their craft than the one who payed for his title, he also knows things about his machines the other one doesnt, in fact he's that good that the one who payed is now under the others wings!!!see its not about have i payed for my training, its about having the balls to seek out that one thing you want to perfect and going for it, do you really think that if you dont pay for your title your no good, i beg to differ. Some people are trained to the hilt, but they are still useless, others have spent their time researching the craft they want to perfect before they inflict the world with what ever it is they can do, the way i see it.....Word of mouth will soon rid the stupid from those who know their craft what ever their medium, ( i can airbrush too, but i didnt get anyone to teach me, and oddly enough im pretty good at it) its about having talent, dont get me wrong some who are not trained should have their equipment burned! But at the same time so should some so called proffessionals...........if your good your good if not then eventually you will disappear from your so called choosen art! so really i can see both sides therefore i chose not to judge others........

But training is about so much more than just 'making you good' at what you do - it covers health and safety, anatomy and physiology, disorders and diseases, over-exposure, etc...... There is so much more to being a hairdresser or nail tech than the basic skills......

I agree that reputation will weed out those with no talent, but what education gives you is the knowledge you're working safely - so you may be rubbish but at least if someone sues your a$$ off you can have be insured..... You can't gain insurance without training, and if you work uninsured then you really aren't very smart.....

Talent alone isn't enough - talent combined with training will take you a long way in whatever field you are in.

I have to agree its not right but they are not ''stupid''
When I was working as a hairstylist...there were 6 nail techs...only one had a license the location of this salon was in a mall. I am taking my nail course in October this year.However, the nail techs at that salon have asked me ''why are you taking the course? Your doing so well for a beginner''

I have to agree its not right but they are not ''stupid''
How so?
I disagree that they're not stupid... how do they legally obtain insurance? How do they know the facts of health and hygiene if they're not trained?

When I was working as a hairstylist...there were 6 nail techs...only one had a license the location of this salon was in a mall. I am taking my nail course in October this year.However, the nail techs at that salon have asked me ''why are you taking the course? Your doing so well for a beginner''
The only person on that premises who is able to obtain legal insurance is the one with the certificate of training.

It might be ok in their eyes for someone to be doing well for a beginner, but I dare them to be questioned about nail diseases, nail anatomy etc etc etc, they wouldn't know their arse from their elbow, and that's what puts trained professionals head and shoulders above the untrained who think they know better.

teetsly i think thats a really good input i hadnt thought about it like that xx

The only person on that premises who is able to obtain legal insurance is the one with the certificate of training.

It might be ok in their eyes for someone to be doing well for a beginner, but I dare them to be questioned about nail diseases, nail anatomy etc etc etc, they wouldn't know their arse from their elbow, and that's what puts trained professionals head and shoulders above the untrained who think they know better.

Really depends on how long and how much information from other sources have been absorbed.

Training these days is very important, but for some people that have been around forever (who do know there ass from an elbow, and could probably nail some qualified techs butts to the wall). Insurance is very important (and many companies won't insure you if you dont have that bit of paper).

So go the training route, someone could sue you for negligence and make your life a misery. It's kinda like having a drivers license, it provides you with proof of your ability.

There are some (but very few) that have made it without training, but that was a long time ago in a land far far away, in this day and age there aint many fairy tales left.

i vote stupid BUT i have been in the hair beauty and nails buisness for years and years and although i think every one should train to learn the chemical and structure and contra indications of what ever your working on i have knowned the highest trained people that are c..p at what they do, i think there are alot of people that are just plain natrually (sp) talented at what they do.:rolleyes:

I did a 12 week course to learn L&P through TAFE in 2002 but I didn't feel confident enough to work on 'clients' when I finished (I did my own nails for a few years before doing the course though with a salon home kit - only stopped doing my own nails a couple of years ago - can't have them doing massage).

We did anatomy, diseases etc during the 12 weeks but I think the problem was more me than the course - makes me wonder what happened with the rest of the class which was probably about 20 people. I have been considering doing a gel course now instead.

What makes this thread even more interesting is the threads/questions asked by those in training that are obviously not getting enough training/advice, yet will still get that bit of paper at the end of their course and be happy they scraped through, although left wanting/needing much more.

Sure, they will be technically qualified, will go out in the workforce and do crappy nails and will be a shining example of what qualifications in our industry means.

You have seen the questions and imagined the scenarios, but these peeps represent our industry as a whole (as a refection on you and me) ........ no wonder we have trouble gaining respect, when some training schools are so full of tripe.

Yep, to be quite honest, I think some are even faking the fact they are in training .... and we give out advice quite freely making them into better techs ....... this is great if they are indeed training, but it aint that fabulous if they are faking it. I often wonder when the questions and problems are so damn basic ..... DO YOU WONDER TOO?

Last edited:
What makes this thread even more interesting is the threads/questions asked by those in training that are obviously not getting enough training/advice, yet will still get that bit of paper at the end of their course and be happy they scraped through, although left wanting/needing much more.

Sure, they will be technically qualified, will go out in the workforce and do crappy nails and will be a shining example of what qualifications in our industry means.

You have seen the questions and imagined the scenarios, but these peeps represent our industry as a whole (as a refection on you and me) ........ no wonder we have trouble gaining respect, when some training schools are so full of tripe.

Yep, to be quite honest, I think some are even faking the fact they are in training .... and we give out advice quite freely making them into better techs ....... this is great if they are indeed training, but it aint that fabulous if they are faking it. I often wonder when the questions and problems are so damn basic ..... DO YOU WONDER TOO?
Frequently:irked:

noooooooooo waaaaaaaaaaaaay??!!

people come on here and fake that they are training? omg!!:eek:

Yep, regularly!

god help em if they mess up because surely they cant be insured ?:eek:

I am reading all your threads with interest. I live in Australia in a remote (some would say desolate) region. We have one trained tech in our area who charges an arm and a leg for her services. She does a crappy job. I have tried to get into training but there is nothing available in this area. I can fly to the other side of the country (6 hours) which I plan to do later in the year and do a 14 day course. (I am trying to save and no I dont believe for a minute that 14 days will even scratch the surface of what I need to know) The only course within a bull's roar of here is for young hotties who have gained employment in a salon. They do on the job training I work full time in my original profession to support my family and because I am not in my 20's and 'hot as' I would not get work in a salon here. (Imagine the ad: 'come to my salon get a 40 something y.o, past her best before date, greying, almost grandmother to do your nails' I don't think so. hehe) I have bought and completed almost every correspondence training program available. I do nails on my friends but do not charge I only buy the best products from suppliers not ebay. I soak up everything I read and see on here like a sponge. I had never really thought about the fact that I am taking advantage of all the hard slog and coin you guys have put in but you know, you are right I'm sorry that I am parasite, I only do it to improve myself because I so admire what you people can achieve and I would be happy if one day I was even half as good as any of you.
Please, please let me stay on your forum
Cheers

I'm back at college at the mo learning nail art - there are some girls on the course who have spent about £2 (or whateva) on getting all there stuff off Ebay (which is actually pants!) and have been bragging that they've been doing nail art for donkeys years and think they are the dogs you-know-wats... they are only on the course to prove to themselves that are as good as they think they are already. They are not and never will be true pofessionals. It's a no brainer, training is essential. I wonder if the clients are aware that they may be being treated by someone without qualifications?

I just stupidly hit 'SMART' for the Training thread, I am so sorry, that was totally wrong of me, of course training is way important, stupid stupid me. What would have been the point in the last 2 years at college!!!!:irked:

I agree!! Lots of sympathy for you guys - it winds me up when people try to advise without the proper training. Why do suppliers sell to people who don't have a qualification cert/ training card? They are the ones disrespecting our trade...

Latest posts

Back