Oldest therapist!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pinkthistle

Reaction score
I'm 42 ( ok nearly 43) and lately I've felt REALLY old at any training I've done....probably nearly double the age of the others in the class.... When I qualified many moons ago :) my first job was in a salon where the boss turned 50... I remember thinking I would never still be a beauty therapist at 50! She was just too old in my young opinion...Now I'm not so far away from that I'm not so sure lol

What's your thoughts? Can you keep young clients as you get older and up to date with new trends etc the same?

of course you can!

I am 30 and have only been in the industry for a few years. I would hate to think I have a shelf life.

As long as you keep on top of trends and training why would your age affect your career?

If anything it would set you apart as people will trust you having been in the industry for so long x

Could be a gap in the market for Blue rinse beauty lol

I think it depends what you are doing I think you have a shelf life doing massage everyday because it can literally wear your hands out.My eyesight started to go when I got to about 40 and I couldn't do electrolysis anymore that maybe the same with eyelash extensions if a therapists eyesight fades.
I also definitely couldn't sit at a nail desk all day as my neck would really ache but I guess that effects any tech.

I have loads of young clients. Their mothers may have brought them in the first time to have their brows done because they trust me. Others because they heard I was good. I am more confident now than ever. I can pick and choose what I want to do. I don't do massage or body treatments anymore because I don't like doing them but apart from that there's no limits...
You want the old dog for the hard road and the pup for the path. Which means you cannot beat experience

I am 40 and tbh I don't worry about it too much. I think I have quite often turned up to clients and they are really pleased that I am a little older and not really young as I think some people worry they won't have anything in common with a really young person - Sorry don't mean to offend any young people out there (I'm only jealous as you've got time and collagen on your side!!).

I suppose at the moment though I am very conscious as to whether I could continue to do this into my late 60s seeing as we are all going to have to work for so many more years now!

I can totally identify with feeling old at the training sessions- sometimes I feel like their mum and I'm only 37! I mentioned this to a client and she said that she felt more comfy with an older therapist because she felt I wouldn't be as judgemental about her lumps and bumps as a young girl. I've since discussed it with others and they too feel that a therapist with a bit more life experience has more to offer when it comes to chatting about things. Anyway, hope that helps a bit. The most important thing is that you are good at what you do. Keep going girl!

I'm almost 50! It's no bad thing attracting the older client; they tend to have more disposable income!

I recently attended a makeup course and the ages ranged from 16 (school leaver) to approx 45 (never ask a woman her age haha!) and I was in the middle at 30 - we got to work on each other and how you would carry out a consult etc - the younger girls were very shy but had so much vision and the other ladies were confident and listened better to what I wanted as they were experienced but were worried their visions weren't 'trendy' enough - so overall I guess im trying to say we all have age issues whether your 16 or 60 but the most important thing is how you make your client feel and I think most clients are happy with a confident, helpful, smart, personable therapist!:hug:

It's not the number, it's the attitude. See dandelionpoppy's post, above.

I feel if you keep up with the latest and greatest in your industry, are professional in appearance and attitude, you will always be successful.

Best of luck! I'm 56 and like dande, I'm lovin' it! :)

I'm 47 and it's just a number :)

I'm 52 and would hate to have to go back working in an office as I did many years ago. It's just a number as long as you can communicate with your clients and perform your treatments well without it taking too long or causing you pain then it's absolutely fine.

Like the others, it's just a number. I don't judge on age, I go to someone because they've been recommended for their expertise not their age. I have my intimate waxing done by someone almost double my age and wouldn't have it any other way :)

I once read an article in a Sunday suppliment magazine by a stunning looking lady in her 60's. She said '' you may as well ask a lady how long her big toe is as apposed to how old she is - because its that relevent'' - I love that saying!.
I'm 43 but really dont think about age. Like others have said, its attitude thats the important thing. I have a friend who's almost 60 and still running a very successful salon so lets celebrate our experince in life and not worry about getting older. (The glasses may get stronger when doing electrolysis etc but who cares???!!!)

im 36 & only just qualified & starting out!! so i damn well hope we dont have a shelf life lol :lol:

I am 56 and my young clients love me. I am like their mum! I do a lot of Hollywood waxes and they feel totally comfortable with me and recommend their friends, I have almost a whole netball team at the moment.

I love this job and am just about to venture into the world of education so I can pass on all my experience to the young things coming along behind me!:wink2:

I'm 47 in a couple of weeks and although my clientele ranges from teens to nineties, most of my ladies fall into the 40-70 category and I love that and I think they feel comfortable with me.

I prefer 40+ ers anyway, they have mnore disposable income, seem not to be so affected by the recession, take great pride in their appearance and ALMOST NEVER let me down, whereas in the younger age group (ie teens/twenties) they think nothing of making an appointment and not keeping it and not even letting you know (had a no show this morning very young), and turning up without money expecting you not to mind when they have to pop to the bank after.... I hate to generalise but on the whole the older ladies have more respect and better manners ... having said that I have some lovely and very polite younger ones so it's by no means cut and dried :rolleyes: now i sound like an old whinge anyway

There is a lot of "acceptable" ageism about.

It's not just from younger people; I've got friends in their 20s and 30s who talk to me as they would to someone of their own age.

I have clients in their 50s, say, who believe that they are beyond the age of caring about their looks. They become repeat clients when I put them right! ;)

Act your shoe size, not your age!

There is a lot of "acceptable" ageism about.

It's not just from younger people; I've got friends in their 20s and 30s who talk to me as they would to someone of their own age.

I have clients in their 50s, say, who believe that they are beyond the age of caring about their looks. They become repeat clients when I put them right! ;)

Act your shoe size, not your age!

Well I do think we were separated at birth but I have to agree! I don't even notice out age difference until times like this xxx

Latest posts

Back