Pedicures and Contraindications

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you soak feet before checking for contraindications?

• No way Hose!!! I always check first

Votes: 94 67.6%
  • Yep, I aint touching stinky feet!

Votes: 45 32.4%

• Total voters

nemotail

Invisible Geek
Reaction score
Decided to start a new thread branching from this one clicky here

I was astounded to read that people are putting clients feet into their footspa soaking drying then checking for contraindications :eek:

Which means you could potentially be putting clients feet with a infectious condition in your foot spa then drying them with your towels :eek: You are putting yourself and other clients at risk of cross infection. Wetting the feet could also disguise the symptoms of some contra-indications.

I wear a waterproof apron and put a layer of couch roll across my knees, wearing disposable gloves I apply use Cool Blue to the clients feet and examine them thoroughly to ensure is nothing to cause concern before placing their feet in the footspa.

What do you do?

My procedeure is on the other post but i always ask the client is they have or have ever had any fungal infections of any kind befor i go ahead with any treatment... if not i follow my normal routine... if the do then thats the 1st thing i look at :) xx

i was taught just to inspect first

My procedeure is on the other post but i always ask the client is they have or have ever had any fungal infections of any kind befor i go ahead with any treatment... if not i follow my normal routine... if the do then thats the 1st thing i look at :) xx

Do all client know what a fungal infection looks like or how to identify one?

That is true but if there is a funnt looking nail or a wart or anything strang looking on there feet they would now and always say first... but i compleetly agree with what you are saying an i have never put contaminated feet in a bath so actually i must check over then check again... lol xx

I always check both feet, before commencing any treatment if you think about it you should fill in your client consultation card before starting treatment, if you have not checked the foot for any contra's beforehand you can't fully fill it in.

Joan

i suffer severe ezhema (sp?) on my feet and am so worried about how it looks i could never go for a pedi, i would be to imbarised if the tec told me she wouldnt touch them, even though it is not contagoius or sore or open etc:irked: ,

I spray wih deoderizer and check then soak. x

Thanks for the replies so far.
Any more Geeks? - what were you taught to do?
KxXx

I check before beginning the treatment... same as what I do for fingernails :wink2:

To be trueful I have been soaking first then checking. I do have the disposable liners in my spa mind .... I think if I had found anything contra indicating to treatment then I would have boiled the towel I used for drying the foot.

I am feeling a bit uneasy with this method now I am reading this post, but this is what I was taught. I think I will cool blue and check first in future with new clients.

I apply use Cool Blue to the clients feet and examine them thoroughly to ensure is nothing to cause concern before placing their feet in the footspa.

What do you do?

same here, if you soak first you could mask 'smells' :eek: or flakey skin from athletes foot and such like.

amb x

I am very surprised to say the least,how many people actually soak first.

We had a conversation about this only a couple of days ago and the amount of people who soak first before checking,well.....big eye opener.That's all I can say:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

That is true but if there is a funnt looking nail or a wart or anything strang looking on there feet they would now and always say first... but i compleetly agree with what you are saying an i have never put contaminated feet in a bath so actually i must check over then check again... lol xx

With all due respect Leshell a lot of elderly cant see properly,if they have a wart or anything strange going on down there.

We are therapists and it is our job to check for contra-indications not for the clinet to tell us if they have problems.

Quite often,on inspection I will spot something and mention it to my clients,they are quite often surprised and had absolutely no idea they had a problem.

Remember,always,sanitize then inspect before putting those feet in your spa.You are always better off safe than sorry hun:hug:

So when you are not soaking but sanitising before inspecting.. do you all wear gloves for this part of the proceedure? I don't usually wear gloves during any part of my pedicures, but I think I would want to do so if the client hadn't soaked first.

What do you guys all do?

So when you are not soaking but sanitising before inspecting.. do you all wear gloves for this part of the proceedure? I don't usually wear gloves during any part of my pedicures, but I think I would want to do so if the client hadn't soaked first.

What do you guys all do?
I dont wear gloves,you sanitise the feet,why wear gloves???You can visually inspect feet first,then if you are happy look between toes but without touching any fungal areas, if they are hiding:eek:

To be trueful I have been soaking first then checking. I do have the disposable liners in my spa mind .... I think if I had found anything contra indicating to treatment then I would have boiled the towel I used for drying the foot.

I am feeling a bit uneasy with this method now I am reading this post, but this is what I was taught. I think I will cool blue and check first in future with new clients.

This is what I was taught to do at college to & did the same thing at both of the previous salons i worked at as no-one told me otherwise.

I only started inspecting before the treatment when i became mobile & that was because i thought it would be better than setting up to find the client had a contra-indication then having to pack it all away ! So although I do it the correct way it wasn't until i read this thread that i realised i should have been doing it all along ! :o

Gloves for me - its more likely a client would have a infectious condition on their feet so I prefer to take double precautions and wear Gloves for inspection and the entire 'wet' part of the pedi.
I used to take them off after inspection but found during summer I was doing a few pedis a day the exfoliation was getting too much for my hands so got just got into the habit of keeping the gloves on.

I was taught to examine the feet first, and as I am doing this I ask the client if they know of any problems or have any concerns reguarding their feet. It opens the door for the client to become comfortable talking about anything that might be going on with their feet and general health. Also, it is imperitive to know if the client is a diabetic. I always examine using gloves, as well as preforming the pedicure. Remember you are protecting yourself too!:green:

Thanks for the replies so far.
Any more Geeks? - what were you taught to do?
KxXx
Well I am only training but your way seems pretty good:green:

Latest posts

Back